Srixon ZX series starting to arrive...

I hit the ZX7 and the ZX utility today at EW. I couldn't change shafts. For whatever reason, the ZX5 (which is what I thought I was interested in) didn't show up yet. Anyway, the ZX7 had a PX LZ 6.5 in it. I'm a 6-7HC with about an 85 MPH 7 iron SS (I was on the monitor today). Anyway, the club was a half inch short of my spec and I would never go as stiff as a 6.5. Nevertheless, it felt great and still carried longer than my current irons (i500). I then hit the 4 iron utility that had a F3 76Recoil in it and while I loved the look, the set up didn't work for me at all. I would also add that it was "clicky" for sure. As said, I hit i500s (with Modus 120s) and don't complain about the feel/sound they make, so there you go (FWIW). I also saw (but didn't hit) the hybrids and FW woods. They look much better in person than they do in photos. Both set up a hair open (perfect to my eye) and the ridge on the crown is well done (not at all bothersome to me and I'm picky... in fact, I think the curvature on the crown may help give the face an appearance of being more open than it probably is). 

Would like to hear from anyone who has hit the ZX5 and the ZX7 --I don't know when they're going to show up here. Bottomline, I was blown away by how easy the ZX7 was to hit. Also, while I've heard the PX LZs generally feel a little loose to flex, these were 6.5s, which are 124 grams and I was thinking about going graphite below 100 grams. I'm an old man and need the speed, but I'm not sure I can do it. I have to say, these shafts did not feel stiff or heavy in this pairing --not at all. I'm going to have to double check my current SW! Anyway, my message to everyone is that, in terms of aesthetics, these clubs exceeded my already high expectations.  In terms of performance, well, although I haven't given them a fair shot yet, what I experienced today was more than encouraging. Would appreciate feedback from folks with more experience with these clubs and, with the PX LZs. 

I hit the ZX7 this morning. Always loved Srixon irons in the past. Played 965s for a season two years ago. Stock shaft modus 120 is what I hit. Felt great, exactly what you would expect from Srixon. Effortless distance and nice high ball flight.

I will agree look better in person than I thought online. Nice thin sole. Top line bigger than I like to see but I can get over it.  

My avg carry with the 7 iron was around 189-192. A few times I stepped on it and carried it over 200. 

I should have started this post by mentioning I ordered a set yesterday online (never seeing in person or hitting) 4-PW with Project X 6.5 bent two degrees weak. Gonna need to try and bring the carry total and ball flight down for desired #s. Cannot wait for them to arrive!!

You guys/gals have to try these irons out. Definitely a contender for a wide range of handicaps. 

I hope mine arrive soon. I ordered the Driver ZX7, zx utility iron and ZX5/zx7 combo set. Can’t wait. 

Srixon ZX5 MKII 8.5* LS Ventus Black 7 X

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 13* Ventus Black 8 X

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 18* Ventus Black 8 X

Srixon ZX5 MKII 3 - 7 ZX7 8-P DG X100 Tour Issue

Cleveland RTX 6 Zip Core Tour Rack 56 Full & 60 Full

Odyssey OG WH Nano 7 

Srixon Z Star XV

23 minutes ago, SeaIsland said:

Great set up. What shafts? Where did you cut off your combo?  Did you change lofts? I'm not getting rid of my Ping LST driver, but everything else is in jeopardy. The Srixon hybrid is a beauty...

3-5 ZX5 7-p ZX7 DG X100 didn’t touch the lofts but may after I test them. 

Odyssey OG WH Nano 7 

Srixon Z Star XV

On 1/7/2021 at 9:10 PM, J-Zone said:

No 6 iron? That’s going to create a big gap 😜😜😜

Typo def getting a 6 iron 

Odyssey OG WH Nano 7 

Srixon Z Star XV

I hit the ZX5 and ZX7 today... same shaft (SF i95S). On a 7 iron my swing speed was low to mid 80s. I was getting between 165 and 170 (max) carry on good strikes. With the ZX7, a consistent 10 yards less.  Kind of makes sense. The shafts were 1/2 inch short of my spec and at 2 degrees flat. Didn't mind the SFs --was pleasantly surprised.  Unlike the 4 utility that I could only try with a light weight Recoil (76 or 78), I did not experience any click-i-ness with the ZX5s.  My launch/peek height and spin numbers were OK, but lower than expected with the ZX5 (spin 4500). My launch and peek height with the ZX7s was fractionally lower, but the spin numbers were consistently higher (5200). I currently play Modus 120s S (114g), so these shafts were about 20 grams lighter and, not surprisingly, I hit almost everything left today which, no doubt, affected these numbers negatively. I've been driving myself nuts on what shafts to install in what will likely be a combo set. Pretty well decided on the Fuji 95i S. For those of you familiar with these shafts and/or the 115s, please chime in. I'm a bit concerned about going 20 grams lighter (and from steel to graphite)... like quitting drinking and smoking at the same time. 

keep us posted after the clubs arrive and good luck

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I wouldn’t worry about switching to lighter AND graphite. The big change to get used to is the weight - the material doesn’t really matter.

When I first changed from standard DG so DGSL there was an adjustment period but you quickly adapt. I reckon after 2 or 3 rounds I was good.

I now play Recoil 95 in my Srixon Z785/Z Forged combo. Moved to them from the Nippon 950GH. The Recoil are a little bit lighter but I find the feel similar to the Nippons.  I’m very happy with my irons 

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

On 1/8/2021 at 8:20 AM, redrage22 said:

I hit the ZX7 this morning. Always loved Srixon irons in the past. Played 965s for a season two years ago. Stock shaft modus 120 is what I hit. Felt great, exactly what you would expect from Srixon. Effortless distance and nice high ball flight.

I will agree look better in person than I thought online. Nice thin sole. Top line bigger than I like to see but I can get over it.  

My avg carry with the 7 iron was around 189-192. A few times I stepped on it and carried it over 200. 

I should have started this post by mentioning I ordered a set yesterday online (never seeing in person or hitting) 4-PW with Project X 6.5 bent two degrees weak. Gonna need to try and bring the carry total and ball flight down for desired #s. Cannot wait for them to arrive!!

You guys/gals have to try these irons out. Definitely a contender for a wide range of handicaps. 

I saw sets today.looked great except the grips were about 10 degrees off!

Compared to Mizunos which were bang.on to my eye

The jpx 921 maybe the nicest heads i have seen

On 1/7/2021 at 5:01 PM, SeaIsland said:

Anyway, the ZX7 had a PX LZ 6.5 in it. I'm a 6-7HC with about an 85 MPH 7 iron SS (I was on the monitor today). Anyway, the club was a half inch short of my spec and I would never go as stiff as a 6.5. Nevertheless, it felt great and still carried longer than my current irons (i500). 

I had literally the exact same experience. I was swinging a 7i 88mph on trackman with a Srixon rep fitting me. We worked into the PX LZ 6.5 and nothing could beat the numbers - they were perfect. Ironically the top pick for me from the Mizuno Optimizer was PX LZ 5.5, which I hated the feel of, and I am not sensitive to feel really at all (to dumb to know better, I just swing em). Anyway I was very confused until I stumbled onto this chart. The LZ 6.5 slots in right between a normal PX 5.5 and a C-Taper R+, so they really aren't that "stiff" just a 6.5 relative to the rest of the LZ line. 

i0skfxaox3lo.png

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

I’m very much considering going ZX Utility 18* and 24*, ZX7 5-PW (maybe even A wedge). These things just look so dang good. I haven’t used a set 4 iron in a few years and if I’m going for a green from 225-230 it’s going to be from fairway or first cut and I think I’d like to look down and feel confident about mishits with a Utility compared to a set 4 iron. Just will need to figure out gapping since I’m dropping to 52-58 this year. Can’t wait to try these out! 

Edited by bryanwmilburn

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

• 2 weeks later...

All of my Srixon order arrived today.

ZX7 driver

ZX 2 driving iron 

ZX5 3-5 iron

ZX7 6-Aw

Went straight to the course and played them. They look amazing. They go through the turf just how I like. They go further than I anticipated so might do a little tinkering with the lofts. Overall I am very pleased with the first outing with the new gear. I only hit the driver once and didn’t hit it very good so it got benched the rest of the day. 

• Like 1

Odyssey OG WH Nano 7 

Srixon Z Star XV

On 1/16/2021 at 7:26 PM, Gohigh said:

Just received my ZX5 this morning. Ordered a ZX Utility 23 Degree but did not arrive as part of this shipment. I did however get the ZX 3 Hybrid.

Specs I ordered were:

-2 FLAT LIE

+1 LOFT

PX LZ 6.0 Hard Stepped

Standard Length

MCC +4 Align

I put the KBS Prototype Hybrid 85S in the ZX Hybrid.

The highs were in low 40s today, so just hit a few shots with my Garmin G80 on my home hitting mat. Just wanted to get the look and feel of them, since I honestly havent even seen it before I ordered it. I was gaming the Z585 until last week, so I figured these would be similar like previous generations of Z series irons.

I think this version feels most distinct out of all the Z irons I tried and gamed (Z545, Z565, Z585). Looks wise, it instantly reminded me of a Z545 thats been working out a bit. Bit slimmer and muscular looking.

Feel wise, its different than previous generations IMO. It has that Tungsten "twack" feel, much like the AP2/T100 series irons do. Although not Mizuno soft feeling or sounding, it does feel closer to JPX Forged than the JPX HotMetal it did before.

Maybe its the shaft, maybe its the hard balls, or maybe it was just my swing, but just felt overall softer and more solid feeling than previous Z585 for sure.

Not that Z585 were bad, just bit clicky compared to other irons in this category.

I did have some adjustment issues for the 5 iron however. It just looks like it has more offset, but maybe its the fact that head looks bit smaller and thinner so same or similar offset as Z585 makes it look more pronounced.

My plan is to bend the 23 degree ZX Utility to 25 degree and carry it as a 5 iron replacement anyway so it might not be a issue once it arrives.

ZX Hybrid is solid. Head is smaller than the H85 or at least it looks that way. Its not dramatic, but looks a bit smaller from front to back so more players hybrid look. Shaft feels great and matches well with the head.

IMG_7201.jpeg.37461fc94ec27bb0afc722b48183b582.jpeg

If I turn the ZX Utility into a 5 iron replacement, I might buy a 4 Hybrid to match the set.

Hope the weather warms up enough next week to hit some balls on the course. So far Im pumped!

IMG_7202.jpeg

IMG_7200.jpeg

Thanks for the rundown, these are beauties for sure!! I’m going to take a hard look at the ZX5 and ZX7 irons once the golf shops re-open in my area! What made you decide on the ZX5 over the ZX7? Do you feel like these were a big upgrade from previous Srixon irons?

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

curious to this as well because i will own the 765 combo set

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 1/10/2021 at 12:51 AM, anth said:

I wouldn’t worry about switching to lighter AND graphite. The big change to get used to is the weight - the material doesn’t really matter.

When I first changed from standard DG so DGSL there was an adjustment period but you quickly adapt. I reckon after 2 or 3 rounds I was good.

I now play Recoil 95 in my Srixon Z785/Z Forged combo. Moved to them from the Nippon 950GH. The Recoil are a little bit lighter but I find the feel similar to the Nippons.  I’m very happy with my irons 

I would agree with this. Moved from DG300S to SFi95s in my Z745's. I had no issues with the adjustment, and very happy with the change.

On 1/17/2021 at 4:39 PM, TravAz said:

I had literally the exact same experience. I was swinging a 7i 88mph on trackman with a Srixon rep fitting me. We worked into the PX LZ 6.5 and nothing could beat the numbers - they were perfect. Ironically the top pick for me from the Mizuno Optimizer was PX LZ 5.5, which I hated the feel of, and I am not sensitive to feel really at all (to dumb to know better, I just swing em). Anyway I was very confused until I stumbled onto this chart. The LZ 6.5 slots in right between a normal PX 5.5 and a C-Taper R+, so they really aren't that "stiff" just a 6.5 relative to the rest of the LZ line. 

i0skfxaox3lo.png

Where did you find this chart? Waffling on shafts to order in my set!

Driver - AI Smoke Triple Diamond, Tensei 1k Blue 6tx

3 Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max, Tensei AV Blue 75x

2 Iron - Titleist U505, Graphite Design AD-DI 8x

4-PW - T150, Project X 6.5

50 Degree - SM10 50.12F, Project X 6.5

54 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, mid bounce, Project X wedge 6.5

58 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, low bounce, TI s400

Putter - Custom shop 2022 Phantom 5.5

2023 Pro V1

50 minutes ago, BigtimeHC said:

Where did you find this chart? Waffling on shafts to order in my set!

I didnt bookmark it but it came from one of the well known members in the club builders forum here on wrx... i was probably searching for “projectx lz vs c-taper” or similar... 

Handicap .5

Current Bag:
Big Dogs: G410 for Fades, G425 for draws

FW: Ole Blue but stays on the porch most rounds

Hybrids: G425, Cobra  King Tec
Irons: Srixon ZX5/7
Wedges: PM Grind 54/58

Moneymaker: Ping Heppler Tyne 3

Rock: Srixon Z-Star Divide

On 1/17/2021 at 4:39 PM, TravAz said:

i0skfxaox3lo.png

Any chance you have the Tour V 120x info?

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

43 minutes ago, robcha said:

Just ordered my set of ZX7's 4-P with KBS Tour V shafts! 

Switching from the Mizuno HMB's but when I hit the ZX7's, love at first sight, had to order a set. 

Can't wait to receive mine!

What shafts did you have in the HMB's.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

10 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Thanks for the rundown, these are beauties for sure!! I’m going to take a hard look at the ZX5 and ZX7 irons once the golf shops re-open in my area! What made you decide on the ZX5 over the ZX7? Do you feel like these were a big upgrade from previous Srixon irons?

After gaming the 585s, I was certain next version would be the 7 Series due to its size and feel. But after comparing the new ZX5 and ZX7, the difference in look kinda narrowed and feel also improved with the ZX5, so I figured I would go with a friendlier profile. The plan is to get 7 iron on down in ZX7 this summer so that I can make a combo set when I get to play more than two rounds a week. From now to then however, my swing is in hibernation mode so wanted some protection from misses. Not that ZX7 isnt already a forgiving club, but what science says vs. what my eyes see are two different things when it comes to confidence.

• Like 2