Budget Travel Bag Advice Needed

My two cents, budget and travel bag should not go together.

Even if you only use it 2-3x a year a good back will last you at least 10 years or more. I think my current bag, an SKB hard case, is 12 years old as an example.

So, if you use it 30x, that's $10 per trip for peace of mind if you get a good bag for $300.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I prefer at least 1/2 hard top bags.  I travel up to 10x a year with mine, been about 5 years now few rips but still going strong. Bit lighter then the full hard cases. 

Fighting words perahps, but this is also the only acceptable use of iron covers to help with drop dings. 🙂 

Having watched unloading of clubs multiple times at airports from the plane, bags tend to be tossed not placed down in the carts. Some strong handlers are capable of some impressive distances from conveyor belt to luggage cart. 

- b

• Like 1

The cheap travel bags are a false economy as you will go through a few and inventible the zipper or wheels are going to bust mid trip. A good bag will last you ?life?. So far I have had one for 19 years with no problems.

No need to going to the very high end if you don't travel much, but the cheap ones are a waste.

• Like 1

Ship Sticks might be an option if you don't want to drop the $$ on a top quality bag. In the long run it will obviously cost you more, but at 2-3 times a year it may not be a big deal for you. When I have used them I put my clubs in a club glove travel bag and attached the label to that, but I have seen many guys use a ship sticks branded cardboard box instead. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

I think 2-3x a year would easily justify a quality bag. I got lucky and found a club glove locally for under $100 and only travel 1-2x a year at most. I'd look at ebay or locally through FB or CL ads. 

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

I've had a soft cover bag boy bag for over 10 years. I think it was around $150 when I got it. As mentioned you want quality material and hardware i.e zippers. I pair it with a broom handle and tennis ball sticking out the top to protect the heads. I have not had a problem yet in my 10 years traveling about as much as you.

• Like 1

I wouldn't travel regularly with clubs i valued unless they were in a hard shell case. I have just seen too much. My travel case looks like it's been attacked by ninjas, and it's possible that it has. There are cuts in it that are pretty deep. I think some people just hate golfers and actually try to damage your stuff. 

I've travelled a couple of times with a soft shell case, that i insulated with towels and bubble wrap. And it was fine. 

But i would much rather the hard shell. Again, they don't tell you this in the mainstream media, but airports are full of ninjas who attack your golf bags as they go through processing

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

57 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

But i would much rather the hard shell. Again, they don't tell you this in the mainstream media, but airports are full of ninjas who attack your golf bags as they go through processing

LOL.

I am actually on my second hard case. My first one, which was a cheap one, was actually cracked by the airport ninjas and I replaced it with the SKB. Lifetime warranty on the SKB btw.

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I wouldn't travel regularly with clubs i valued unless they were in a hard shell case. I have just seen too much. My travel case looks like it's been attacked by ninjas, and it's possible that it has. There are cuts in it that are pretty deep. I think some people just hate golfers and actually try to damage your stuff. 

I've travelled a couple of times with a soft shell case, that i insulated with towels and bubble wrap. And it was fine. 

I travel with my driver, 3wood and hybrid head in my carry on.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

I need to start doing this. 

I have used a club glove and their stiff arm for 10 years and have never had an issue. Usually wrap my towel around irons and put any other soft jackets etc near the top for added cushion. 

Well worth the investment, they last a long time. 

• Like 1

I picked up a new hard case this year from the classifieds..have a look around locally as u may be surprised at the amount of used travel cases for sale 

I have used a non hard case for travel in the past and everytime I opened my bag I would prey everything was ok... nothing worse then spending money to get away on a golf trip only to find out the luggage monkeys have damaged your sticks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

I have used a club glove and their stiff arm for 10 years and have never had an issue. Usually wrap my towel around irons and put any other soft jackets etc near the top for added cushion. 

This is how I usually travel.. the last time they opened up my bag and took everything apart.. stiff arm was moved.. the towels were shoved in the bottom... I now own a hard case.. other downside to soft cases... airlines do not cover damage if the clubs are in a soft case 

13 minutes ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

I don't have the stiff arm, but i stuff the sides/head area with t shirts, towel, socks, etc. extra cushioning helps protect the clubs/shafts from the airport ninjas. (heads removed, of course). club glove ftw

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

I've never really understood the point of this. Assuming they have head covers the heads are unlikely to get even a paint chip.

I'm more worried about getting a shaft (or more) snapped in two.

• Like 2

Agree with some of the comments here. I use a CaddyDaddy Copilot XL, which is a hybrid bag and hard case. Very nice for traveling, top comes off so it fits easily in rental cars. I like to turn my irons upside down and take the heads off my driver/fairway, because TSA just smashes everything back together when they take the top off to inspect it. Flipping the irons upside down also makes it maneuver so much better in airports, terminal trains, bumpy sidewalks, etc. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OK83G2

If you're going to go with a budget option, scour your local goodwill stores. A lot of times you can get a better quality travel cover than your budget would normally support. You might need to ignore or cut out some embroidery, but I've seen barely used Club Glove covers for $10-20. It's very hit or miss, but it can be worth a few minutes of hunting.

Edited by Mych
  • Like 2

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I know hard cases have their adherents. But I'll offer a contrasting view.

Two of my regular golf buddies have each broken hard cases. One was an SKB. Both suffered some sort of crushing impact and caused the shells to rack and the halves no longer line up. Both have since moved on to soft cases and careful packing technique.

Another point to consider is that the vast majority of touring pros and college players use a soft case. While I don't know if this is sponsor-based or not, the fact that these guys make their paycheck with their gear says a fair amount about how much they are trusted. Sure, the very top guys have private jets and staff that handles their gear very carefully, but that is demonstrably not the case at the lower ranks (e.g. Korn Ferry tour). They fly commercial like most of us.

My preference is to:

• Use a soft case - preferably a good quality one like Club Glove, but there are other decent ones out there. But don't skimp. Zippers and wheels can crap out on the cheap ones.
  • Pull removable heads and pack separately
  • If the regular (playing) golf bag openings allow, put the clubs in head first. This provides more protection and puts most of the weight down low so rolling the bag is easier.
  • Use a rigid stick of some sort - to provide drop protection from if the bag is dropped top first. I prefer a hockey stick with a tennis ball on the end. A commercial Stiff Arm is fine, too, but I've seen those bent, too. 
  • Pad things out with a towel for extra protection.

Not my buddie's hardcases, but a very similar fate:

large-temp5c4b681abaeb0.jpg

Edited by dubbelbogey
  • Like 2

Hey OP it all depends. I’ve had success on both ends. Obviously the hard case is the way to go if you want to invest in it and are ready to store it while it is not being used. Gotta weigh out how often you will be using it. The soft case covers work well also but suggest the soft cover with padding towards the top of your golf clubs. You can get away with the soft cover but, if you do, remove any removable heads and store them in your golf bag pockets in their headcovers. Another thing is intertwining your golf towel or any towel in between the shafts in your bag to limit movement. With those two precautionary things done, a soft case will do just fine. 

• Like 3

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I went the cheap route and bought a "CaddyDaddy Golf CDX-10" soft case on amazon over 5 years ago and it's still holding up just fine.  I travel with it 2-3 times per year.  Believe you can find it for $70 on amazon.

Nothing wrong with a soft case, you just need to be intentional with the way you pack at.  As others have said, a few tips/tricks I use every time i travel - I've never had any issues with damage to clubs:

• Put old athletic socks over irons to act as covers / provide cushioning
  • Take off removable driver heads
  • Pack towels around the clubs, weave 1 in and out of clubs and wrap another around the clubs.  You can secure with an old belt or strap.  2 large bath towels offer a ton of protection.
  • Have an object in the bag longer than the clubs to protect.  I travel with my Orange Whip and it does a great job of this.

I've never tried flipping the irons around in the bag, but might see if that works on the next trip.  The above method has worked every time for me though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

I've never really understood the point of this. Assuming they have head covers the heads are unlikely to get even a paint chip.

I'm more worried about getting a shaft (or more) snapped in two.

For me the reason is two fold. 

1. TSA often removes head covers as part of their search and more than once I have had them no put back on!!! The result was a very scratched up driver. 

2. It makes the tallest club it he bag your 4 iron. Not that I want any clubbed snapped in transit, but I would prefer my 4 iron unavailable during a golf trip than my driver and an iron shaft is much cheaper to replace.

I do worry a bit less a snapping of clubs as I do use one of these as well:

image.png.4d8ec4148e2ac2ac974dd2e883b72297.png

I have never gone full hard case as I find them problematic in rental cars etc.

• Like 2

Very timely thread...was just looking to buy a used travel bag too! Very informative, thanks for the info everybody! Huge LOL @ the airport ninjas, Bahaha!! I know all about those sneaky buggers...it’s like damaging luggage is part of their jobs!! 🥷🥷

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I have traveled a few times with clubs.

One thing to remember in packing is balance. At one airport, someone's bag cover had torn because the person put four 12-packs of golf balls up at the top end, and the weight and "hard surface" led to a break.

Hint on airlines: If you travel Southwest Airlines, they will count a golf carrier bag as one of your two free pieces of checked luggage. Just make sure the golf bag carrier weighs less than 40 lbs. (?). This was the rules 14 months ago, pre-COVID, so double-check on current rules.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |