Autoflex at 95% discount?

Just picked up an Aldila NVS Pink 55 Ladies Flex Driver / Wood Shaft (Uncut 46") - which according to an EI profile comparison that @jgard320 had done (thank you) - this should be extremely similar to the Autoflex.

Edit to include Autoflex Profile:

Here is the information on the 505x shaft:

Weight - 54.3g

Raw Length - 45"

Balance Point - 21" down from the butt so this is a butt heavy shaft

41" beam length frequency with 205g tip weight - 207cpm

Bend Profile measurements - 146/163/182/212/265/368/647

Notes: When bend profile was measured at 0* and 180* orientations, all measurements were the same or within 1 degree, which speaks to the quality of the shaft. 

image.png.5a181372d7fee2bdf723ddb94af988f0.png

Normal SS of 110 - 120mph (Max 131 but still trying to get over the mental hurdle of swinging that fast with a ball in front of me).

While it's in the mail, I thought I'd post to see if folks wanted to chime in with their predictions as to how it will perform.

Edited by MysteryV
More Clickbaity Title
  • Like 2

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

• MysteryV changed the title to Autoflex at 95% discount?
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I predict 4000+ rpm hooks. 

nothing more than rolling shutter effect by that point.  Driving force behind the bend is for the head to line up with the shaft plane and not much more than that. 

Yeah, I’m not too impressed with autoflex. In my opinion, it favors slow swingers or high level ball strikers with very smooth swings. Slower swingers could probably see similar results out of the che

Posted Images

Well, instead of an autoflex you'll be swinging a standard ladies shaft - so there's that.

EI profile aside there is more going on there with the materials and layup of the shaft then the curve shows on paper.

• Haha 1

Epic Max LS + HZRDUS Yellow  / TS2 3W + Tensei AV Blue / Mavrik 7W + ATMOS TS Blue / XForged UT + ATMOS TS Black  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

2 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Well, instead of an autoflex you'll be swinging a standard ladies shaft - so there's that.

EI profile aside there is more going on there with the materials and layup of the shaft then the curve shows on paper.

I will be swinging a pink ladies flex indeed - so I agree with that.

Any thoughts as to what the differences will be in terms of performance?

Any thoughts as to what more is going on with the materials and layup?

I just sold my AF505x (which I already regret) so I can certainly make the comparison.  This may well be a complete disaster of a ($70) experiment - so stakes are low unless the shaft breaks and my head gets damaged.

What I'm curious about is predictions - about performance - about what else is going on in Autoflex - etc.

Love to hear more thoughts!

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Well, I'd love it if you found that it performed similarly because I'd buy it in an instant. I would be surprised if it did, though.

Interested to see what you find out, though, so will watch this thread!

Edited by chocolate_rehab
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* // Fujikura Pro 2.0

Ping G425 Max 3w // Tensei AV Orange

Ping G410 19, 22, 25 // Accra FX 2.0 100

Srixon ZX5 6-AW // Steelfiber i80

Cleveland CBX2 54*

Cleveland CBX Full Face 58*

L.A.B. DF 2.1 // BGT Stability Tour

33 minutes ago, chocolate_rehab said:

Well, I'd love it if you found that it performed similarly because I'd buy it in an instant. I would be surprised if it did, though.

Interested to see what you find out, though, so will watch this thread!

Despite the title - I don't expect it to be a lift and shift replacement for the AF - but am interested to see what happens.  I do recall absolutely bombing my GFs short, ladies flex driver at the range a while back, as well as the stories of Freddie swinging a ladies flex for a while as well.

Really though - how many people have tried playing a 46", flexy shaft, with a similar EI profile, at D1.5 SW outside the recent AF experiments?  It just doesn't seem like it's been done - and without a comp - it's pretty hard to say what AF does differently.

Does it keep spin down?

Does it kick faster?

Does it somehow square the face better?

Does it simply resist breaking?

Let's find out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

40 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Well bubba, my thoughts are...what do the guys on the ping tour van think of you going outside them for equipment? Are they offended?

They're pleased to spend less time with me listening to me tell them "you're welcome".

• Like 1

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Wow I find this to be a very fascinating experiment, to go head to head with the AF and Aldila ladies shaft. Thumbs up for attempting it. I've also been reading in the main KHT AF topic, and there are many interesting points there by everyone. I got my AF last week, I have gotten 2 rounds in with the AF, and I too find myself in the "make it work" stage. Not only do I want to know the result of your experiment, but a question that does need to be asked is will the same amount of effort to make it work be put into the Aldila NVS 55 L.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

I think there will be a crazy amount of shaft droop on that thing. Before I got my first fitting 13 or so years ago I was in a Sasquatch Tour with an NV Green 65 S. My swing speed was low 120s at the time. In a slow motion video  that shaft at impact looked like an upside down J at impact from my hands to the ball and strike pattern was god awful. So my prediction is with the same profile but lighter and softer you might struggle to even make contact if you really go after one. It will probably look like a reverse C at impact.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* Diamana D+ LTD 60 TX
Titleist TSi2 16.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 TX
Titleist TSi2 21* Diamana D+ LTD 80 TX

Srixon ZX Utlity 3-iron MMT Hybrid 100 TX

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Black C-Taper X
Mizuno T20 Raw C-Grind 57/11 & Ported 61/07 Black C-Taper S+

Evnroll ER2.2 MidBlade Putter Brushed Black CT Tour

Odyssey Metal X 2-Ball Putter Brushed Black CT Tour
Bridgestone Tour B XS

Forgive the potentially stupid question, but is there actually profile data on the Autoflex? I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that this was similar. 

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

2 hours ago, ProjectX said:

I think there will be a crazy amount of shaft droop on that thing. Before I got my first fitting 13 or so years ago I was in a Sasquatch Tour with an NV Green 65 S. My swing speed was low 120s at the time. In a slow motion video  that shaft at impact looked like an upside down J at impact from my hands to the ball and strike pattern was god awful. So my prediction is with the same profile but lighter and softer you might struggle to even make contact if you really go after one. It will probably look like a reverse C at impact.

nothing more than rolling shutter effect by that point.  Driving force behind the bend is for the head to line up with the shaft plane and not much more than that. 

• Like 4

TM M3 440 w/ Speeder Evo II 6.1 TS
TM M5 14* Rocket w/ BB S+ 70  
Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R or M3 19* 5W w/ BB S+ 70

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
Kyoei 52/58 Personal Grinds w/ DG S400s
Odyssey MXM 1W

14 hours ago, TheDominator273 said:

Gonna predict a broken shaft in your future.

Very possible.  Might need to test on the old Epic head rather than the Mavrik in case it goes flying.

12 hours ago, Skhacker said:

I predict 4000+ rpm hooks. 

So you predict I hit it like everything else in my bag?  🤪

I did have some massive hooks with the Autoflex for sure, including literally the largest hook of my life that left me awestruck and laughing on the range.

11 hours ago, TripleSingle said:

Wow I find this to be a very fascinating experiment, to go head to head with the AF and Aldila ladies shaft. Thumbs up for attempting it. I've also been reading in the main KHT AF topic, and there are many interesting points there by everyone. I got my AF last week, I have gotten 2 rounds in with the AF, and I too find myself in the "make it work" stage. Not only do I want to know the result of your experiment, but a question that does need to be asked is will the same amount of effort to make it work be put into the Aldila NVS 55 L.

The good news is that I already did the work with the 505x dialing in the setup I liked.  My plan it more to see how similarly it performs rather than try to make it work if it's extremely different despite the profile.

5 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Forgive the potentially stupid question, but is there actually profile data on the Autoflex? I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that this was similar. 

The profile data above came from @jgard320 who sent his shaft in to be profiled.

1 hour ago, nvr3putt said:

Given that oem's have not relabeled their ladies shafts as $1000 competitors to AF, I'm predicting a waste of $70. 

This may very well be the case, but I've wondered about this for months, and the question won't go away.  Given that $70 is less than a round of golf where I live (if you can even find a tee time these days) and less than an average Chinese delivery order, I'm not overly concerned.  

• Like 3

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Thanks for the mention, OP.

Please edit your post to quote this part below, as it has the actual profile information for the autoflex here. C Kua 39a is the closest match.

Weight - 54.3g

Raw Length - 45"

Bend Profile measurements - 146/163/182/212/265/368/647

Notes: When bend profile was measured at 0* and 180* orientations, all measurements were the same or within 1 degree, which speaks to the quality of the shaft. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, jgard320 said:

Please edit your post to quote this part below, as it has the actual profile information for the autoflex here. C Kua 39a is the closest match.

Weight - 54.3g

Raw Length - 45"

Done.  Not sure how I missed that.

Do you have any predictions @jgard320?

TSi3 Tensei 1k 60TX

PXG Gen 3 T (5-G)

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

18 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

If I had to guess...if you’re the type of player that struggled with the auto flex with high launch and spin (aggressive transition), then these shafts will be more of the same. If you are the type that hit the autoflex well and got low spin, maybe these will work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jgard320 said:

Weight - 54.3g

Raw Length - 45"

Amazing what marketing can do to people’s psyche

Edited by Golfrnut

Odyssey MXM 1W

13 minutes ago, Golfrnut said:

Amazing what marketing can do to people’s psyche

Yeah, I’m not too impressed with autoflex. In my opinion, it favors slow swingers or high level ball strikers with very smooth swings. Slower swingers could probably see similar results out of the cheaper shafts and high level players can adjust to do decent with most shafts. Those of us who are faster but more aggressive wouldn’t be fit to a long/light set up anyways.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, jgard320 said:

Yeah, I’m not too impressed with autoflex. In my opinion, it favors slow swingers or high level ball strikers with very smooth swings. Slower swingers could probably see similar results out of the cheaper shafts and high level players can adjust to do decent with most shafts. Those of us who are faster but more aggressive wouldn’t be fit to a long/light set up anyways.

Just speaking to the sudden popularity. If you released numbers like that off the bat and told everyone it was equivalent to a regular/ladies flex shaft...it would have been instantly disregarded my the vast majority, at least here, I’m sure.  Market it right, get a few youtube videos to speak positively about it...and boom...ground breaking  🙂

• Like 2

Odyssey MXM 1W

2 hours ago, MysteryV said:

This is what I was referring to with my question since the Autoflex info was missing 😜

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

The AF clearly has advanced materials that enable it to behave differently from a conventional shaft.  So that’s my bet.  But I’m supporting this test 1000%.

• Like 2

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini