Jump to content

What are the best techniques for learning to stroke a Scotty Cameron special select Newport 2


IronWolf
 Share

Recommended Posts

I finally broke down and bought Scotty Cameron special select Newport 2, 34".

I have been desiring one for 20 years watching Tiger Woods and others top professionals execute flawless artistic pure strokes with them.

After watching Patrick Reed last weekend I do not regret the purchase.

Every time I tried one I realized they are truly like a scalpel for the professional. Lots of pushes, lots of pulls, clanking miss hits, could never bring myself to buy one.

Especially the 2020 select line,  Scotty Cameron says this putter is the closest he has ever made to a tour specification Newport putter, but made available to the public.

 

I have probably hit 2000, 10 foot putts in the last six weeks. Finally starting to learn the ins and outs of the putter.

But OMG, when I finally dial in the sweet spot with a good stroke......I have never felt a better putter, it delivers such amazing feel and control and just such a precise roll right into the center of the cup. The length of the blade has something to do with it I think the toe closing perfectly at impact causes the ball and the putter to release down the line and feels amazing compared to my other five putters really never felt anything like it off any of the other putter faces. Super addicting!

I actually did not realize it was such a low profile face, a very small face, that is the key most putters I only have to worry about  left and right miss hits, high and low on the face seems to be automatically forgiven.

The number one thing I have been struggling with is how horrible it feels when you miss the sweet spot high, above the centerline. Crack like a broken board

I added some 40 g weights to the bottom that actually seem to give a little more protection, better feeling on mishits.

I actually believe I am on the way to mastering it. 

I found the typical lessons for stacking coins behind your ball and hovering the putter, which seems to be almost 1/2 inch off the ground, for the sweet spot to make contact with the equator of the ball, which is the recommended contact point. 

I have also had to move the ball forward from watching all of the Newport players on TV the last six weeks I definitely notice they hit a little more on the upstroke, I have been playing the ball just in front of the centerline for most of my putters directly under my left eye.

So now I am experimenting with about one ball forward of my left eye.

 

Anyway looking for people who have mastered the Newport 2

any secrets to dialing in the stroke.?

 

So I am currently focusing on hovering the putter the correct height, as well as catching it on the upstroke so that the putter is higher off the ground at contact blending the two approaches. Things I do not have to do with my mid Mallet's.

 

It is a putter with a very narrow performance window get outside the window, and become very disappointed, but once I am inside the window it truly is one of the best putters I have ever hit.

Cheers

 

 

 

back 5.jpg

Capt America.jpg

Low CG.jpg

newport sweet 1A.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super interesting post and a very nice looking putter. Congratulations.

 

I am not really a believer in matching your stroke to the putter, but rather the putter to your stroke. I have an older Newport, that I got along with well, but when I did some SAM testing a flanged blade style head produced a better roll for me though it should be less forgiving in theory. As a result my Newport hangs out in my office. 

 

I am very curious to follow this thread and see what advice you get. 

Edited by 2bGood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hitting a putter dead centre in the sweet spot is tough. Delivering the putter to the exact dynamic loft for consistent roll is even tougher.  It is why the OEMs like Evnroll and Ping created grooves to compensate and SIK creates changing lofts on the face. 
 

Just going to take a lot of practice and drills.  It is a beautiful putter, and it is very important to be happy with what you’re looking at when putting. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats on your purchase!  From your post, I can tell that your are very excited to own something like this.   Seems like you bought the 'sizzle' vs the 'steak'....and that is fine.  Most match the putter to their existing stroke/preferences.  I doubt there is one 'right way' to get the most out of a specific putter - but keep experimenting, practicing. 

 

Would suggest after some time to maybe get fitted with that putter - you'd be amazed at how some minor tweaks to length, backweighting, lie/loft may improve your results.  Use evidence to guide your changes.

 

Best of luck and congrats on the purchase.

  • Like 3

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Get fit for the putter.  A stock putter could be off for loft and/or lie for you.

 

I got fit a couple weeks ago with John at Artisan.  I'm a 3* loft but 66* (flat) lie.  I was consistently dragging the heel of every putter in my hands - blades, mallets, hammers, whatever - if I did not consciously try to manipulate the putter thru the swing.  Once we flattened out the lie it was like the sun came out.  My natural stroke with a couple of tweaks provided by John started putting balls in holes.   Just three more weeks til the new putter should be done... like waiting for Christmas...

Edited by mycale
  • Like 1

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may be in the minority but I seem to have good results with almost any putter I try.  The last 5 years, I have a used a different putter in my Wednesday night men’s leagueFor 9 holes,  I have averaged between 15.47 and 15.82 over the 5 years. (24-28, 9 hole rounds). 
 

The putters I used in order were an Odyssey Versa #9, Odyssey #7 (face balanced), Xenon Element (Anser style), Taylormade Spider (slant neck) and an Evnroll 1.2 blade.  They all were set up at 34/70/3.  The grips ranged from a from a SuperStroke Flatso 2.0 to a Ping PP58.   My best season was the Xenon and the worst being the Evnroll (lag putting suffered).  The other 3 putters were very close in average. 
 

I am right handed, left eye dominate. I set my left eye even with the ball and just inside my target line.  I pick a spot 6-18 inches in front of the ball and start the putt over that spot using a pendulum (gravity) type stroke.  My backswing is about double my follow-through. 

 

I do prefer looking down at a blade and find I like practicing with them more. I have found that a little toe flow helps me release the putter naturally and helps the ball stay on my intended line. I am in the process of working with David Mills on a Dale by David and will be ordering Piretti GOAT as well.  
 

 

Edited by jeff1727
More info added
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since that nice looking putter has toe hang, I'd suggest one of the "putting arcs" that are on the market.  I have an Stan Utley Learning Curve that helps groove my stroke.  

TaylorMade Stealth Plus Driver | 10.5° set to 9.75° & 1.5° open Ventus Blue
Callaway Epic Speed | 16.5° | Ventus Red

Callaway Epic Max | 20° | Graphite Design Tour AD DJ
Ping G410 3H | 19° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Srixon ZX4/ZX5 | 5I-6I / 7I-PW LAGP Tour AXS Blue 105
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway Jaws Full Toe Raw Black | 54° & 58° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Bettinardi BB8 Tri Carbon Candy  | Stability Graphite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The heart wants what the heart wants but the putter doesn't fit your stroke. You would have the same problems with an old Anser2, but maybe an old bronze Anser like the one I restored (in the putter mods thread) has more mass on the top part of the head. I think maybe an Anser 3 would be worth a try,

 

To fix your stoke hunt down a set of Dave Pelz's putter clips and practice a lot because the impact tape tells me you would hit the outside of the prongs.

Driver Titleist TS3 10.5 Attas 5 GoGo 8 tour stiff

4 Wood Titleist 913FD 18 Diamana Redboard 73 stiff

Hybrid Nike CPR 21 UST Irod stiff

Irons 4-PW Titleist 735 CM Dynalite Gold stiff

Gap wedge Vokey SM5 50

Sand wedge Vokey TVD K grind 54

Lob wedge Vokey TVD K grind 58

Putter Scotty Cameron Classic Newport Copper

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shart6 said:

The heart wants what the heart wants but the putter doesn't fit your stroke. You would have the same problems with an old Anser2, but maybe an old bronze Anser like the one I restored (in the putter mods thread) has more mass on the top part of the head. I think maybe an Anser 3 would be worth a try,

 

To fix your stoke hunt down a set of Dave Pelz's putter clips and practice a lot because the impact tape tells me you would hit the outside of the prongs.

Lots of good responses, helpful. I do have the GSA putt accelerometer and software most of my putters have the plumbers neck so this putter definitely fits my stroke.  It tells you what type of arc you have, loft at impact, face angle open or closed at impact, it is putter fitting software so I have spent time to make sure it is behaving normal. I am trying to make sure I do not radically hit up and deloft the putter face as well.. the software is pretty excellent. The Pelz tape that I presented was a 20 putt sample from the first 100 putts, several weeks ago just to demonstrate how bad a quarter inch high impact feels on the putter.  

 

Here is a sample from yesterday, I am stroking the ball extremely well I have the birdie ball putting Mat which is super pure absolutely flawless roll, I bought the 10-11 stimp meter, I can start my ball exactly on the target line. This is the last 20 balls I made 18/20 from 11 feet. With two burned edges. I also put a small bump in front of the hole, so if the ball loses speed it breaks out of the hole. 

 

I certainly did look at other versions, however Scotty Cameron Newport 2 had 107 wins in 2018, I do not know how many in the top 10 (must be thousands), seems like 40-50% the touring pros use it because the putts go in the hole,  it means if you want to be an extremely good putter this is one of your top choices in tools. that is why I broke down and bought it even as an experiment. just to see if I could figure out why nearly every professional owns one. But I am starting to drink the Kool-Aid, nothing like the feeling, with a free flowing stroke hitting the sweet spot, the ball just magically goes right where you are looking with such a liquid feel and powerful sense of control.

seems like every putter also has its quirks, it has a little learning curve, I do not think any putter is instantly a fit. I am also a bit like Jeff I seem to putt pretty well with most putters, and sometimes it is hard to separate performance from looks and feel. I seem to break it down into camps, this putter is very good at 30 footers, this putter is very good at 12 footers, this putter is very good at four footers. Which one do I want today.

however all the books/YouTube's I have read the number one thing is aiming the putter at your target, at your start line. one of the YouTube videos said all you amateurs out there you cannot aim your putter at your target it is the one thing you do extremely poorly. so that is how I currently evaluate each putter, it must be compatible with my ability to aim it, at set up, for some reason I am bonding with the extra long blade that long leading edge seems to be easy to aim for me.

when you have a nice forgiving mid Mallet you actually do not have to work on hitting the sweet spot so hard.

So in some ways this is forcing my practice to the next level.

That is why it is nice to have five different putters in rotation each one can teach you how to use the other one.

This one requires lots of practice but feels so good.

 

2000 putts last 20.jpg

fitting software.jpg

Edited by IronWolf
typo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like others were saying, do you even have a slight arc stroke? Cause originally I had an appreciation for #9/del mar heel shafted putters for how they looked. However, they’re for people who have a heavy arc stroke. For a couple years I made it work by gripping my left hand really strong and a weak right hand, but we know trying to be active and coordinate our strokes can be more work than we need during putting. 
I’m now in a more natural fitting putter, which is less at work when I’m putting and more getting the results. 
 

you can still have a blade putter with a different hosel type so you’re not at a total loss. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, IronWolf said:

Lots of good responses, helpful. I do have the GSA putt accelerometer and software most of my putters have the plumbers neck so this putter definitely fits my stroke.  It tells you what type of arc you have, loft at impact, face angle open or closed at impact, it is putter fitting software so I have spent time to make sure it is behaving normal. I am trying to make sure I do not radically hit up and deloft the putter face as well.. the software is pretty excellent. The Pelz tape that I presented was a 20 putt sample from the first 100 putts, several weeks ago just to demonstrate how bad a quarter inch high impact feels on the putter.  

 

Here is a sample from yesterday, I am stroking the ball extremely well I have the birdie ball putting Mat which is super pure absolutely flawless roll, I bought the 10-11 stimp meter, I can start my ball exactly on the target line. This is the last 20 balls I made 18/20 from 11 feet. With two burned edges. I also put a small bump in front of the hole, so if the ball loses speed it breaks out of the hole. 

 

I certainly did look at other versions, however Scotty Cameron Newport 2 had 107 wins in 2018, I do not know how many in the top 10 (must be thousands), seems like 40-50% the touring pros use it because the putts go in the hole,  it means if you want to be an extremely good putter this is one of your top choices in tools. that is why I broke down and bought it even as an experiment. just to see if I could figure out why nearly every professional owns one. But I am starting to drink the Kool-Aid, nothing like the feeling, with a free flowing stroke hitting the sweet spot, the ball just magically goes right where you are looking with such a liquid feel and powerful sense of control.

seems like every putter also has its quirks, it has a little learning curve, I do not think any putter is instantly a fit. I am also a bit like Jeff I seem to putt pretty well with most putters, and sometimes it is hard to separate performance from looks and feel. I seem to break it down into camps, this putter is very good at 30 footers, this putter is very good at 12 footers, this putter is very good at four footers. Which one do I want today.

however all the books/YouTube's I have read the number one thing is aiming the putter at your target, at your start line. one of the YouTube videos said all you amateurs out there you cannot aim your putter at your target it is the one thing you do extremely poorly. so that is how I currently evaluate each putter, it must be compatible with my ability to aim it, at set up, for some reason I am bonding with the extra long blade that long leading edge seems to be easy to aim for me.

when you have a nice forgiving mid Mallet you actually do not have to work on hitting the sweet spot so hard.

So in some ways this is forcing my practice to the next level.

That is why it is nice to have five different putters in rotation each one can teach you how to use the other one.

This one requires lots of practice but feels so good.

 

2000 putts last 20.jpg

fitting software.jpg

Okay I didn’t get this far, yeah a lot of awareness in what you’re doing. Time and practice will lead you towards the result you want. What kind of putter did you come from before this? 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

Okay I didn’t get this far, yeah a lot of awareness in what you’re doing. Time and practice will lead you towards the result you want. What kind of putter did you come from before this? 

I used a odyssey 2 ball, for the last 10 years, absolutely fabulous putter shot my first 71 with that putter (4 birdies three bogeys), I had a 34 inch and a 33 inch 2-ball, but much more comfortable over the ball with the 34 inch, seem to putt a little bit better with 33 inch however the grips were deteriorated the face is too soft, so those were given away.

So I bought a brand-new triple track micro hinge 2-ball and a Scotty Cameron square back 2, both 34 inch, (tried and returned a 35 inch two ball) been playing those for about the last year. I am trying to figure out why the face balanced 2-ball allows me to pull and miss 4 foot putts, and allows me to make every 12 footer (2 ball is a birdie machine), that is why I seem to like the blades more and more they're closer to 100% make, for me, in the under 4-foot range, the feedback/feel on the Newport 2 is such a level above the Squareback 2, I cannot feel high and low mishits on the Squareback 2, toe hits are pretty good feedback, slightly muted  feel and sound overall even on perfect strikes, but there is an extra level of satisfying click with the Newport 2, higher pitched click sound that is extremely pleasing to my ears.   The slightly steeper learning curve for the Newport 2 seems worth it, trying to get it into the rotation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I echo matching putter to the stroke, although I get that you fell in love with the Newport for sure. I think the only answer is lessons honestly if you’re serious about sticking with it. Obviously bad days on the greens can always happen, and that feeling you get when you miss the sweet spot is always nasty feeling in a blade... that’s what makes the pure strikes rewarding. I got fit one day and the toe hang arcing stroke putters are my best fit, makes blades easy to find but mallets not so much. We all have our issues so to speak, but I honestly and sincerely believe if you care about score you need to get fit and play what fits on the greens. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IronWolf said:

Lots of good responses, helpful. I do have the GSA putt accelerometer and software most of my putters have the plumbers neck so this putter definitely fits my stroke.  It tells you what type of arc you have, loft at impact, face angle open or closed at impact, it is putter fitting software so I have spent time to make sure it is behaving normal. I am trying to make sure I do not radically hit up and deloft the putter face as well.. the software is pretty excellent. The Pelz tape that I presented was a 20 putt sample from the first 100 putts, several weeks ago just to demonstrate how bad a quarter inch high impact feels on the putter.  

 

Here is a sample from yesterday, I am stroking the ball extremely well I have the birdie ball putting Mat which is super pure absolutely flawless roll, I bought the 10-11 stimp meter, I can start my ball exactly on the target line. This is the last 20 balls I made 18/20 from 11 feet. With two burned edges. I also put a small bump in front of the hole, so if the ball loses speed it breaks out of the hole. 

 

I certainly did look at other versions, however Scotty Cameron Newport 2 had 107 wins in 2018, I do not know how many in the top 10 (must be thousands), seems like 40-50% the touring pros use it because the putts go in the hole,  it means if you want to be an extremely good putter this is one of your top choices in tools. that is why I broke down and bought it even as an experiment. just to see if I could figure out why nearly every professional owns one. But I am starting to drink the Kool-Aid, nothing like the feeling, with a free flowing stroke hitting the sweet spot, the ball just magically goes right where you are looking with such a liquid feel and powerful sense of control.

seems like every putter also has its quirks, it has a little learning curve, I do not think any putter is instantly a fit. I am also a bit like Jeff I seem to putt pretty well with most putters, and sometimes it is hard to separate performance from looks and feel. I seem to break it down into camps, this putter is very good at 30 footers, this putter is very good at 12 footers, this putter is very good at four footers. Which one do I want today.

however all the books/YouTube's I have read the number one thing is aiming the putter at your target, at your start line. one of the YouTube videos said all you amateurs out there you cannot aim your putter at your target it is the one thing you do extremely poorly. so that is how I currently evaluate each putter, it must be compatible with my ability to aim it, at set up, for some reason I am bonding with the extra long blade that long leading edge seems to be easy to aim for me.

when you have a nice forgiving mid Mallet you actually do not have to work on hitting the sweet spot so hard.

So in some ways this is forcing my practice to the next level.

That is why it is nice to have five different putters in rotation each one can teach you how to use the other one.

This one requires lots of practice but feels so good.

 

2000 putts last 20.jpg

2 hours ago, IronWolf said:

Lots of good responses, helpful. I do have the GSA putt accelerometer and software most of my putters have the plumbers neck so this putter definitely fits my stroke.  It tells you what type of arc you have, loft at impact, face angle open or closed at impact, it is putter fitting software so I have spent time to make sure it is behaving normal. I am trying to make sure I do not radically hit up and deloft the putter face as well.. the software is pretty excellent. The Pelz tape that I presented was a 20 putt sample from the first 100 putts, several weeks ago just to demonstrate how bad a quarter inch high impact feels on the putter.  

 

Here is a sample from yesterday, I am stroking the ball extremely well I have the birdie ball putting Mat which is super pure absolutely flawless roll, I bought the 10-11 stimp meter, I can start my ball exactly on the target line. This is the last 20 balls I made 18/20 from 11 feet. With two burned edges. I also put a small bump in front of the hole, so if the ball loses speed it breaks out of the hole. 

 

I certainly did look at other versions, however Scotty Cameron Newport 2 had 107 wins in 2018, I do not know how many in the top 10 (must be thousands), seems like 40-50% the touring pros use it because the putts go in the hole,  it means if you want to be an extremely good putter this is one of your top choices in tools. that is why I broke down and bought it even as an experiment. just to see if I could figure out why nearly every professional owns one. But I am starting to drink the Kool-Aid, nothing like the feeling, with a free flowing stroke hitting the sweet spot, the ball just magically goes right where you are looking with such a liquid feel and powerful sense of control.

seems like every putter also has its quirks, it has a little learning curve, I do not think any putter is instantly a fit. I am also a bit like Jeff I seem to putt pretty well with most putters, and sometimes it is hard to separate performance from looks and feel. I seem to break it down into camps, this putter is very good at 30 footers, this putter is very good at 12 footers, this putter is very good at four footers. Which one do I want today.

however all the books/YouTube's I have read the number one thing is aiming the putter at your target, at your start line. one of the YouTube videos said all you amateurs out there you cannot aim your putter at your target it is the one thing you do extremely poorly. so that is how I currently evaluate each putter, it must be compatible with my ability to aim it, at set up, for some reason I am bonding with the extra long blade that long leading edge seems to be easy to aim for me.

when you have a nice forgiving mid Mallet you actually do not have to work on hitting the sweet spot so hard.

So in some ways this is forcing my practice to the next level.

That is why it is nice to have five different putters in rotation each one can teach you how to use the other one.

This one requires lots of practice but feels so good.

 

2000 putts last 20.jpg

fitting software.jpg

 

Good discussion more later but a couple of points. I'm a Paul Runyan disciple so i believe hitting it solid is most important. Without sold contact speed control is impossible. My putter comments were based on more mass toward the top of the blade nothing else. And you would be hitting the prongs of a Pelz Pro Clip regularly based on the tape.

Driver Titleist TS3 10.5 Attas 5 GoGo 8 tour stiff

4 Wood Titleist 913FD 18 Diamana Redboard 73 stiff

Hybrid Nike CPR 21 UST Irod stiff

Irons 4-PW Titleist 735 CM Dynalite Gold stiff

Gap wedge Vokey SM5 50

Sand wedge Vokey TVD K grind 54

Lob wedge Vokey TVD K grind 58

Putter Scotty Cameron Classic Newport Copper

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, shart6 said:

 

Good discussion more later but a couple of points. I'm a Paul Runyan disciple so i believe hitting it solid is most important. Without sold contact speed control is impossible. My putter comments were based on more mass toward the top of the blade nothing else. And you would be hitting the prongs of a Pelz Pro Clip regularly based on the tape.

I have the Pelz clips as well, I like the tape, better as I do not have to chase balls when I have a toe mishit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jeff1727 said:

I may be in the minority but I seem to have good results with almost any putter I try.  The last 5 years, I have a used a different putter in my Wednesday night men’s leagueFor 9 holes,  I have averaged between 15.47 and 15.82 over the 5 years. (24-28, 9 hole rounds). 
 

The putters I used in order were an Odyssey Versa #9, Odyssey #7 (face balanced), Xenon Element (Anser style), Taylormade Spider (slant neck) and an Evnroll 1.2 blade.  They all were set up at 34/70/3.  The grips ranged from a from a SuperStroke Flatso 2.0 to a Ping PP58.   My best season was the Xenon and the worst being the Evnroll (lag putting suffered).  The other 3 putters were very close in average. 
 

I am right handed, left eye dominate. I set my left eye even with the ball and just inside my target line.  I pick a spot 6-18 inches in front of the ball and start the putt over that spot using a pendulum (gravity) type stroke.  My backswing is about double my follow-through. 

 

I do prefer looking down at a blade and find I like practicing with them more. I have found that a little toe flow helps me release the putter naturally and helps the ball stay on my intended line. I am in the process of working with David Mills on a Dale by David and will be ordering Piretti GOAT as well.  
 

 

I actually had a GOAT in the cart. Absolutely beautiful putters,  I finally decided I have to trust Scotty Cameron is somewhat of a perfectionist for this experiment.

And he has the feedback of 200 touring professionals telling him how to make the putter perfect for them.

My experiment was to try and master a blade that can go easily in the bag of a touring professional, experience it.

Clearly most of the anser blades are 98% identical, and they all seem to be 300 to 400 bucks at a minimum. So I decided to go with number one in tour wins.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I putted with a Newport beach for years. One of the best instructors I worked with taught me how to putt with a blade style putter and his method jives with what @bargolf notes in his research/ findings on the right stroke type for a blade. 

 

Look at https://bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/?m=1 and find the article on the blade stroke type. Bruce notes that the Newport/ anser style heads are not very versatile...there's basically 1 stroke type that works for that putter.

 

You have to swing the putter on an inside to out arc AND keep the face square to path on the backswing with a closing rate at impact. The instructor who helped me with this gave me 1 key thought that clicked 

 

"Hit hook putts". To hit a hook, path needs to be in to out and the face closed to path. So do the same with the newport putter. Swing it in to out with a closed face to path...hook putts. He would have me over exaggerate the feeling...really close the face with my hands (just for practice only, dont do this on the course). He also was a firm advocate to feel like you hit down on the ball...not up. Hitting up can lead you to pull the lead shoulder up and that is bad...it'll cause the face to stay open.

 

Another key for me has been to feel like the toe outruns the heel on the through stroke. But you have to be in to out or you'll pull the snot out of every putt. 

 

Last key, stop the putter as soon after impact as possible. The backswing should be twice the length of the follow thru. That short, crisp halt of the putter head after impact helps ensure a closing rate of the face into impact. 

 

Get this right and get it consistent and you'll make a ton of putts. But it requires a lot of repetition. In my heyday I dropped 9 birdies with that putter and method in a tournament round. 

That is a pretty awesome blog, thanks for that. I just spent two hours reading almost all of his articles, excellent thoughts. I do seem to have a number 4 profile, pretty naturally, as I have been trying to copy Tigers stroke for the last 20 years. I have watched all of Brad faxons videos, and use most of his techniques as well.  I love to hold my finish and watch the ball roll into the hole, that was a breakthrough technique for me many years ago, hold the finish. Dozens of the best putters and coaches recommend that. So my follow-through is a tiny bit long, I do not like the idea of stopping short. I just let it naturally finish where it wants to finish without trying to manipulate. I certainly try to hold square at and through impact naturally, which profile number 4 supports.

Tiger-Woods-Putting.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, IronWolf said:

That is a pretty awesome blog, thanks for that. I just spent two hours reading almost all of his articles, excellent thoughts. I do seem to have a number 4 profile, pretty naturally, as I have been trying to copy Tigers stroke for the last 20 years. I have watched all of Brad faxons videos, and use most of his techniques as well.  I love to hold my finish and watch the ball roll into the hole, that was a breakthrough technique for me many years ago, hold the finish. Dozens of the best putters and coaches recommend that. So my follow-through is a tiny bit long, I do not like the idea of stopping short. I just let it naturally finish where it wants to finish without trying to manipulate. I certainly try to hold square at and through impact naturally, which profile number 4 supports.

Tiger-Woods-Putting.jpg

 

Bruce's stuff is good. Key thing is to find the stroke type and putter type that work for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IronWolf said:

I have the Pelz clips as well, I like the tape, better as I do not have to chase balls when I have a toe mishit.

 

The test of the clips or a teacher putter is take it out on the course and see how you do. Much easier with a teacher putter in my case since the clips are heavy.

  • Like 1

Driver Titleist TS3 10.5 Attas 5 GoGo 8 tour stiff

4 Wood Titleist 913FD 18 Diamana Redboard 73 stiff

Hybrid Nike CPR 21 UST Irod stiff

Irons 4-PW Titleist 735 CM Dynalite Gold stiff

Gap wedge Vokey SM5 50

Sand wedge Vokey TVD K grind 54

Lob wedge Vokey TVD K grind 58

Putter Scotty Cameron Classic Newport Copper

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, IronWolf said:

I actually had a GOAT in the cart. Absolutely beautiful putters,  I finally decided I have to trust Scotty Cameron is somewhat of a perfectionist for this experiment.

And he has the feedback of 200 touring professionals telling him how to make the putter perfect for them.

My experiment was to try and master a blade that can go easily in the bag of a touring professional, experience it.

Clearly most of the anser blades are 98% identical, and they all seem to be 300 to 400 bucks at a minimum. So I decided to go with number one in tour wins.

 

 

Nothing wrong with the experiment. However, I have one great Anser 2, one not so good, neither of my daleheads feel right, both of my 85020 Ansers feel great, my Alan Solheim limited edition Anser feels fishy and finally an Anser F fished out of a lake has a nice feel. I own two Newport putters, the classic feels funny when I miss hit a put slightly toward the heel but still goes in and a Pro Platinum Art of Putting with a great logo but sweet spot is touch toward the toe for long-term use.  You just never know how a putter is going to feel and roll the ball. See Mark O'Meara's comment to Tiger after he won the Masters.

Driver Titleist TS3 10.5 Attas 5 GoGo 8 tour stiff

4 Wood Titleist 913FD 18 Diamana Redboard 73 stiff

Hybrid Nike CPR 21 UST Irod stiff

Irons 4-PW Titleist 735 CM Dynalite Gold stiff

Gap wedge Vokey SM5 50

Sand wedge Vokey TVD K grind 54

Lob wedge Vokey TVD K grind 58

Putter Scotty Cameron Classic Newport Copper

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2021 at 6:45 AM, MattM97 said:

The putter has to work from the get go for you, can't really force a putter to work for you no matter how much you like it or lust after it. Like for me I wanted to like mallets, but every mallet I tried just didn't work and blades do for me. I still want to try/have a mallet in my collection but I just don't get along with them. If this is what a NP2 is to you then you may have to just accept it doesn't work for you. 

 Same here with the mallets. I looked for a higher MOI, but I just never could get comfortable with them, even with a little toe hang. Still lust after a Toulon Las Vegas H7, though.

 I've learned that I can putt with just about any style if I work at it, but I just putt better with more toe hang Anser or Del Mar and 8802 style heel shafted blades, plumbers or flow neck.

 You have to find the putter that fits your natural stroke for optimum results.

Edited by RainShadow
  • Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/04 10.5, -1* @45.25" /  Ping G425 LST 10.5 Oban Devotion 6/04 @45"

OG Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS 7
Ping G410 19* Riptide CB 80 6.0

Ping G410 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80s
'21 Apex 6-GW SF fc90 f3  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 54/14
Mack Daddy PM 2.0 58/12

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” or Cameron PhantomX 5.5 ('21)

TM Tour Response '20 / Titleist AVX /Bstone BRX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, RainShadow said:

 Same here with the mallets. I looked for a higher MOI, but I just never could get comfortable with them, even with a little toe hang. Still lust after a Toulon Las Vegas H7, though.

 I've learned that I can putt with just about any style if I work at it, but I just putt better with more toe hang Anser or Del Mar and 8802 style heel shafted blades, plumbers or flow neck.

 You have to find the putter that fits your natural stroke for optimum results.

I guess maybe I need to look for a Newport 2 blade (anser) with a full normal 1.0 inch face height. I certainly agree each putter has its own it idiosyncratic quirks.

Re-stating my question; my main question is how you take a blade that is so small that it can slip under the ball it is almost impossible to hit it in the center of the face because the face is so short.  This was the only article I could find from five years ago really that crystallizes the problem. I still consistently hit the top of the face too many times. I think I have purchased a poor design the more I play with it, now I question why Scotty Cameron decided to take 6% of the face height away. He states I made it smaller,. "I made it 0.94 inches like it was back in 1980s". Back when engineers did not know what they were doing, because players like that look. Says Scotty Cameron.

I cannot consistently raise the putter off the ground and hold it 0.6 inches off the ground before striking the ball. I have no problem with any other putters that are 1.01 inch face, the sweet spot hits the equator of the ball.

I found one webpage, it says 1.00 " is the current industry standard for putter face height.

 

I have a feeling nobody can stroke this putter consistently, I will continue to try and master hovering the putter three quarters of an inch off the ground. But I am pretty sure this putters going into the closet. 

When I do hit the sweet spot low enough to be on center, 6/10 times, it truly is one of the best feeling putters I have hit. 

I am now curious how tall the Perretti putter face is did he copy forty-year.  Maybe a ping Voss, Toulon Madison, Toulon Austin? I think the Newport 2 experiment is over. I have hit nearly 3000 balls, it is the hardest putter to master.  I am wondering what years Scotty Cameron offered a 1.0 inch tall Newport if at all???

 

https://golf.com/instruction/make-your-putting-more-precise-with-this-simple-drill/

 

Low-Handicapper-FIN-crop.jpg

newport face height.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, IronWolf said:

I guess maybe I need to look for a Newport 2 blade (anser) with a full normal 1.0 inch face height. I certainly agree each putter has its own it idiosyncratic quirks.

Re-stating my question; my main question is how you take a blade that is so small that it can slip under the ball it is almost impossible to hit it in the center of the face because the face is so short.  This was the only article I could find from five years ago really that crystallizes the problem. I still consistently hit the top of the face too many times. I think I have purchased a poor design the more I play with it, now I question why Scotty Cameron decided to take 6% of the face height away. He states I made it smaller,. "I made it 0.94 inches like it was back in 1980s". Back when engineers did not know what they were doing, because players like that look. Says Scotty Cameron.

I cannot consistently raise the putter off the ground and hold it 0.6 inches off the ground before striking the ball. I have no problem with any other putters that are 1.01 inch face, the sweet spot hits the equator of the ball.

I found one webpage, it says 1.00 " is the current industry standard for putter face height.

 

I have a feeling nobody can stroke this putter consistently, I will continue to try and master hovering the putter three quarters of an inch off the ground. But I am pretty sure this putters going into the closet. 

When I do hit the sweet spot low enough to be on center, 6/10 times, it truly is one of the best feeling putters I have hit. 

I am now curious how tall the Perretti putter face is did he copy forty-year.  Maybe a ping Voss, Toulon Madison, Toulon Austin? I think the Newport 2 experiment is over. I have hit nearly 3000 balls, it is the hardest putter to master.  I am wondering what years Scotty Cameron offered a 1.0 inch tall Newport if at all???

 

https://golf.com/instruction/make-your-putting-more-precise-with-this-simple-drill/

 

Low-Handicapper-FIN-crop.jpg

newport face height.jpg

 

I don’t wanna sound like a jerk, but if 0.06” is really driving you nuts I think you’re focusing on the wrong things.  That measurement is pretty much negligible.  You either like the way the putter works with your stroke or you don’t.

  • Like 4

Titleist TS3 D (10.5*) HZRDUS Red 60

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) Tensei AV Blue 65

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei AV Blue 70
PING i210 (5-PW) Dynamic Gold 105

Cleveland CBX OG (50) Dynamic Gold 115
Cleveland CBX FF (56) Dynamic Gold 115
Scotty Cameron OTR Laguna FloJet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, stormin70 said:

 

I don’t wanna sound like a jerk, but if 0.06” is really driving you nuts I think you’re focusing on the wrong things.  That measurement is pretty much negligible.  You either like the way the putter works with your stroke or you don’t.

I don’t know, I noticed the same thing with that putter as he has. Why work harder than you have to? I just had an easier time with my old Odyssey Protype 2 which had a higher face and shorter length. 

 

One good drill is to hit putts with a sand wedge. If you can hit it off the edge of a wedge the Cameron will be easy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/5/2021 at 8:37 AM, mycale said:

Get fit for the putter.  A stock putter could be off for loft and/or lie for you.

 

I got fit a couple weeks ago with John at Artisan.  I'm a 3* loft but 66* (flat) lie.  I was consistently dragging the heel of every putter in my hands - blades, mallets, hammers, whatever - if I did not consciously try to manipulate the putter thru the swing.  Once we flattened out the lie it was like the sun came out.  My natural stroke with a couple of tweaks provided by John started putting balls in holes.   Just three more weeks til the new putter should be done... like waiting for Christmas...

I don’t know how you felt, but when I did my fitting with John I felt like it was more putting lesson that fitting and the putter he built me just happened to be a by product of the lesson.  Such a great experience. 

  • Like 1

Stealth Plus 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TSI2 15 w/Tensei Raw White 2.0 85TX

TSI2 7 (20.25) w/Fuji 9.2 TS X
or P790 3 w/Nippon SPB X
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW w/ SPB X
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, stormin70 said:

 

I don’t wanna sound like a jerk, but if 0.06” is really driving you nuts I think you’re focusing on the wrong things.  That measurement is pretty much negligible.  You either like the way the putter works with your stroke or you don’t.

I agree with several of those statements. But I am learning that .06" on an already unforgiving putter is very important.

The diameter of golf balls 1.68" so the equator of the ball sits 0.84" off the ground. So 0.06 " makes the top of the blade stand 10% taller behind the ball equator, it is extremely noticeable when I put down my other putters. Which are very easy to deliver the sweet spot right into the equator. I think if you have a putting stroke where you like to play the ball forward in your stance catching the ball on the upstroke makes that sweet spot of the Newport 2 hit the equator. So this definitely does not fit my swing, all of my launch numbers show I have a neutral -0.0 to -0.15 dynamic loft, slight Deloft position at impact so if you also have a forward press and Deloft the putter this could work to hit on the upstroke a lot. So I am definitely going to try a taller face because I do like the way the blade sets up for a neutral player, so this particular putter definitely does not fit my stroke I am having to work way too hard. Having this putter does make you a have to be a bit of a perfectionist. You are right it seems like I do not like it on that one small attribute. 

Edited by IronWolf
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2021 at 11:15 AM, SC-TX 88 said:

I don’t know how you felt, but when I did my fitting with John I felt like it was more putting lesson that fitting and the putter he built me just happened to be a by product of the lesson.  Such a great experience. 

Exactly this.  Even with the current gamer, I'm an average of 5 putts down per round from before the fitting.  I cannot wait to get the new putter in hand.  Wedge fitting next week weather permitting 🙂

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • Tiger Woods - WITB - 2022 PGA Championship
      Tiger Woods - WITB - 2022 PGA Championship
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 38 replies
    • 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
       
      2022 AT&T Byron Nelson - Monday #1
      2022 AT&T Byron Nelson - Monday #2
      2022 AT&T Byron Nelson - Monday #3
      2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson - Tuesday #1
      2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson - Tuesday #2
      2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
       
      John Murphy - WITB - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Cooper Dossey - WITB - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Jason Day WITB – 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Justin Leonard - WITB - 2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson
      J.J. Killeen - North Texas PGA Section Champ - WITB - 2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson
      Patrick Flavin - WITB - 2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
       
      Patrick Flavin's custom Cameron putter - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Odyssey "Texas Wedge" putter covers - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Ping PLD graphite putter shaft - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Maverick McNealy's custom (3rd iteration) Callaway Apex MB - 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
      Odyssey/Toulon custom Daytona putter - 2022 AT&T Bryon Nelson
      Justin Thomas' new Scotty Cameron T5 prototype putter (with custom neck) – 2022 AT&T Byron Nelson
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 17 replies
    • 2022 Wells Fargo Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 Wells Fargo Championship - Monday #1
      2022 Wells Fargo Championship - Monday #2
      2022 Wells Fargo Championship - Monday #3
       
       
      WITB Albums 
       
      Eugenio Chacarra - WITB - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
      Larkin Gross - Mid-Atlantic PGA Section Champ - WITB - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
      Billy Hurley - WITB - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
      Max McGreevy - WITB - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Cameron putters - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
      Oddyssey Putters - 2022 Wells Fargo Championship
       
       
       
       
       
      • 3 replies
    • 2022 Huntsville Champ (Korn Ferry) Photos & 30+ WITB- Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Tee-K Kelly - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Blayne Barber - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Thomas Walsh - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Davis Thompson - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Philip Knowles - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Tom Whitney - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Steven Fisk - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      John Pak - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Vincent Norrman - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Brandon Matthews - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Peter Kuest - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Whee Kim - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Will Bateman - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      MJ Daffue - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Rhein Gibson - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      David Kocher - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Will Gordon - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Trevor Cone - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Bryce Emory - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Curtis Luck - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry
      Ryan Ruffels - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Chris Petefish - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Kevin Dougherty - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Michael Johnson - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Tyson Alexander - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Brian Richey - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Patrick Cover - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Nick Voke - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
      Grant Hirschman - 2022 Huntsville Championship (Korn Ferry)
       
       
       

       
        • Like
      • 14 replies
    • 2022 Zurich Classic - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2022 Zurich Classic - Monday
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Aaron Rai - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Sam Horsfield - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Jim Herman - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Chase Seiffert - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Sang Moon Bae - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Rafa Cabrera Bello - WITB - 2022 Zurich Classic
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Golf Forever - 2022 Zurich Classic
      Garsen Quad Tour 17 - 2022 Zurich Classic
       
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 12 replies

×
×
  • Create New...