ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

This is my first go with Srixon’s and I’m not sure what has taken me so long…😂

Zx7 5-p and Zx5 4i.  One of the best sets of irons I’ve ever played.  Fantastic feel, smooth through the turf and really good control.  Getting a little higher launch for their lofts, but nothing I can’t handle.  Just a fantastic iron!

• Like 3

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

thanks for the update, i really appreciate it. I cant comment on the zx7 yet but the zx5 is absolutely awesome. I only have the 8 iron but it feels great and is very forgiving, and looks great. Either way u cant go wrong with both

• Like 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Any of you guys still on the fence, jump off!!! This is the best series of irons I have seen. Let me know if I can help, always willing to help my "players" save some $!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pdiddy3 said:

Any of you guys still on the fence, jump off!!! This is the best series of irons I have seen. Let me know if I can help, always willing to help my "players" save some $!!

U HAVE ANY ZX7 DEMO IRONS ?

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

On 3/12/2022 at 2:33 PM, wam78 said:

This is my first go with Srixon’s and I’m not sure what has taken me so long…😂

Zx7 5-p and Zx5 4i.  One of the best sets of irons I’ve ever played.  Fantastic feel, smooth through the turf and really good control.  Getting a little higher launch for their lofts, but nothing I can’t handle.  Just a fantastic iron!

Just ordered ZX7 5-G and I am debating dropping my 22 hybrid and going 4 iron.  Did you consider ZX utility?  I could go ZX7, ZX5, or ZX utility for the 4 iron spot.  Have to try to demo that utility.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Frase said:

Just ordered ZX7 5-G and I am debating dropping my 22 hybrid and going 4 iron.  Did you consider ZX utility?  I could go ZX7, ZX5, or ZX utility for the 4 iron spot.  Have to try to demo that utility.  Thoughts?

I'm also interested to hear thoughts on the ZX5 long iron.  I just ordered zx7 4-pw and debating whether to grab a 3i in zxu, zx5 or zx7. Long irons weren't available to demo for me unfortunately.

Edited by anw79

I have no experience with the ZX5 as a 4 iron but I do use the Z785 at 23 degrees as my 4 iron.

It depends on your course and bag set up but the driving irons are very easy to hit compared to the standard irons. I have considered the ZX utility but it definitely looks more “player” compared to the previous models. Which means it probably plays more like an iron, so is less forgiving

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

11 hours ago, The Frase said:

I thought about the Zx utility in the 4iron, but just love the zx5 too much.  I like it more because it is a seamless transition from the zx7, still has a nice top line without being too thick and I love hitting it from the fairway.  With the smaller sole, it gives more confidence from the fairway more so than with the utility.

Plus, it feels great!  Has plenty of pop and still spins at a good rate.

• Like 1

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Had a round yesterday with my new blended set: ZX5 5-6, ZX7 7-PW on AD 95 stiff. 

I've started to really enjoy hitting the shorter irons. I hit two par three greens with the 7, had a couple of smoked approaches with the 8 and hit good shots with the 9 and PW as well. Impact feels great and ballflight is strong. I hit 8 greens and had a couple more that hit the green and rolled through. I get about 1/2 club more distance than my old irons which is nice but I'm still learning to trust that and take less club when needed. 

I've not yet dialed in the 5 & 6 or the ZUX 4 utility that came with my set. With those I'm seeing low shots that tend to hook. I had the same flight with my driver a few times yesterday so it's not the clubs. My hunch is that I'm letting my ball position creep forward on those more than I should. My next range session will involve adjusting my setup and trying to find the same confidence in those.  

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

• 3 weeks later...

So.. 

It may sound weird, but anyone keep a set of combos and another set of zx5 (2 separate sets, not just extra irons)? 

I do best (ie not buying) when I have two sets. Apparently that's where my logic lies. 

Lss, have the combos with MMTs and really like them.  So was gonna shaft up some 585/785 in the same configuration/shafts that I sent off to raw. While waiting for them to come back, and the lack of MMT pulls available, jumped on a set of ZX5 4-gw with MMTs. To further add, I got some gift cards for my birthday and ordered some cbx zipcores. 

Now I'm debating, make the sets as intended zx5/7 and 585/785 or keep the zx5/7  and keep the zx5 (bent 2 weak) as a more forgiving option.... 

G425 Max 10.5* Diamana S LTD

G425 Max 16.5* Diamana 75 FW 

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54/58 MMT 105 SW

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

10 minutes ago, Russ757 said:

So.. 

It may sound weird, but anyone keep a set of combos and another set of zx5 (2 separate sets, not just extra irons)? 

I do best (ie not buying) when I have two sets. Apparently that's where my logic lies. 

Lss, have the combos with MMTs and really like them.  So was gonna shaft up some 585/785 in the same configuration/shafts that I sent off to raw. While waiting for them to come back, and the lack of MMT pulls available, jumped on a set of ZX5 4-gw with MMTs. To further add, I got some gift cards for my birthday and ordered some cbx zipcores. 

Now I'm debating, make the sets as intended zx5/7 and 585/785 or keep the zx5/7  and keep the zx5 (bent 2 weak) as a more forgiving option.... 

How much more forgiving are they really, though? Not too much IMO. 

Then again I am totally onboard with understanding yourself and doing whatever it takes to knock back the urge to trade all the time. I am intentionally upside-down on a couple of guitars just to prevent me from shopping for replacements. Being unwilling to take the resale hit has been a good strategy for me. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

17 minutes ago, me05501 said:

How much more forgiving are they really, though? Not too much IMO. 

Then again I am totally onboard with understanding yourself and doing whatever it takes to knock back the urge to trade all the time. I am intentionally upside-down on a couple of guitars just to prevent me from shopping for replacements. Being unwilling to take the resale hit has been a good strategy for me. 

Appreciate th example ans though  not tied to money,  just can't have 3 sets laying around.

Currently leaning towards selling the zx5 but tbd. I've been down this road before 

Edited by Russ757
  • Haha 1

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

3 hours ago, Russ757 said:

Appreciate th example ans though  not tied to money,  just can't have 3 sets laying around.

Currently leaning towards selling the zx5 but tbd. I've been down this road before 

If you do, I call dibs! 🤣

• Like 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

On 4/5/2022 at 4:56 PM, rondre3000 said:

If you do, I call dibs! 🤣

Well sorry but think I'm gonna just keep both ZX5s. They were supposed to be +.75 but came in only .5. I'm just regrip them and get them all bent weak. 

PXL_20220407_130503316.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

G425 Max 19* MMT 80 

Srixon ZX UT 23* MMT 90

Srixon ZX5 5-AW MMT 105

Ping Kushin 4

WITB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a Srixon guy for several years.  Had 785 6-pe with a 585 5 iron, recoil 95 F5s, had elbow issues for several years. Last year though of going back to Stella as my elbows were doing much better, got a good deal on a full set of 585s and put them in the bag.  Wasn't sure about the short irons but adapted pretty quickly.  My only gripe was I hit the short irons actually a bit shorter than expected.

Fast forward to this year, got Covid about Feb 1, it wasn't that bad for me but really didn't do much for about a month.  When I started playing more again my elbows flaired up.  Decided to go back to recoils, but F4 this time, ordered 5-7 zx5 and ZX7 in 8-AW.  So far happy, probably could play all of one or the other, but do appreciate the extra forgiveness of the zx5 in the mid irons.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Providing another data point here for anyone who may be interested...

For reference, I'm a 12hcp and never practice. Straight from the parking lot to #1 tee for my weekly Thursday game.  I'd characterize myself as a "feel" player and represent the "average guy".  Have been playing a mixed set (zx5 in 6, 7 iron and zx7 in 8-AW) since last March and LOVING em.  In that time I've flirted with Mizuno JPX Hot Metals and PXG 0211's, but always come back to the Srixon's and it wasn't close.  

Just recently picked up a zx5 8-AW short set to pair with my zx5 7 and 8 iron because I'd always been curious about the differences in the two irons.  Had them ordered with the same Modus 120's that are in my zx7's.  Here's what I've noticed in 2 rounds.

• Feel - on middle'd shots, there is a clear difference in feel with the winner being the zx7.  That is NOT to say the zx5's feel bad at all.  Just "different".  zx7's seem to get thru the turf quicker so but I'd still give the nod to the zx7's.  On off-center shots (my typical miss is off the toe) the gap closes and they are indistinguishable to me.  I'd have no issues playing a whole bag of zx5's.
  • Distance - it could be a recent switch to AVX's and a bit of a free'er swing, but yesterday I noticed the zx5's going easily a half club longer and a touch higher than what I'm used to seeing with my zx7's (1* strong)
  • Forgiveness - In only 2 rounds, I'd say this was a push.  Good swings are rewarded. Can see no difference directionally or in distance loss on less than perfect swings.
  • Spin - Was totally expecting to not hold greens as well with the newer AVX + zx5 combo, but saw several approach shots stick within a foot or less of their pitch mark.  I am in SoCal, a low spin player and normally play TP5's because of this, but was pleasantly surprised on a few approach shots.  Could be added peak height helping too.

• Like 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Just spent an hour at my club on range with my new ZX7 4-AW Modus 120 Stiff. First my gamers are Apex Pro 21 irons with PX IO’s and enjoy them. But I was looking for a 2nd set of true traditional forged irons that offer some forgiveness and that buttery forged feel.  FYI I’m playing at an 7.8 index. 

First let say I am completely shocked.  These ZX7’s are no joke. I can get over the turf interaction with this v sole.  I’ve never felt anything like. Tbh I figured it was all hype. But I can say wholeheartedly that it’s legit. I’m a big of a digger and I’m blown away with how well I can make contact. More than that, a handful of shots that should have been viscous hooks turned into baby fades. My Apex Pros with that same shot would have been a boomerang. 

my favorite part is how easy the 6, 5 and 4 irons are to hit. The forgiveness is shocking. I’m a decent ball striker, but my gosh even thin shots get up and bogie. 

my course has 2 year old pinnacle range balls, so the feel was muted quite a bit, but I’m one happy camper. Going to game them on Thursday, looking forward to play with a real ball. 

First Srixon irons, and certainly not my last. 

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST MAX w/MMT 60 X

Fairway - Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS w/ MMT 70 X

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 3H w/ Evenflow Black 85 X

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore 50 / 54 / 58 w/ TT Spinners

Putter(s) - Evnroll ER2 Blackout | Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven DB Tour Line

Finally got my zx5s with my ctapers in… hit them against the project x set they loaned me… and there isn’t a huge difference… a lot of fuss over nothing.

still love my irons! Wish I was playing better…

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Certified club hoe, but kept a nice set of PXG 0311P gen3’s in the bag for multiple months (full disclosure, it was winter and I had a total knee replacement-but playing 5 1/2 weeks after surgery). They had replaced a combo set of ZX5’s and ZX7’s. It was a very close decision but thought the PXG’s were worth a shot because so many top LPGA players use them and my swing speed is close to theirs. Having said all of that, I just went back a few weeks ago to a full set of ZX7’s.

My reasons were:

1. The wider sole of the PXG’s bothered me on the scoring irons.

2. I had a difficult time trying to discern where slight misses were on the face of the PXG’s.

3. I had expected a little more pop out of the PXG’s but if anything the ZX7’s were a tiny bit longer. Not enough to cause a decision, but more I thought extra distance in the PXG’s might make up for the lack of feel I find in the ZX7’s.

4. Turf interaction with all Srixon’s are second to none with my swing.

I am pleased to be back with Srixon’s in the bag. My favorite iron of all time was the Z945’s, but have played ZForged, Z785’s, and the combo set mentioned above.

• Like 1

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 4:15 AM, rondre3000 said:
  • Spin - Was totally expecting to not hold greens as well with the newer AVX + zx5 combo, but saw several approach shots stick within a foot or less of their pitch mark.  I am in SoCal, a low spin player and normally play TP5's because of this, but was pleasantly surprised on a few approach shots.  Could be added peak height helping too.

I came in here to ask about this. I'm finding that many of my approach shots aren't holding the green as well as my 15yr old TM 300. I don't have any LM numbers to refer to but was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same. I get great height and distance but so many shots are just rolling off the back of the green for me.

One possibility is that I'm still not used to the longer distance (but unlikely as I'm landing the green) and I'm simply taking too much club. I'm already clubbing down a whole club compared to my old set.

Titleist TSR4 9*

Titleist 917 f2 3w 16.5*

Callaway UW 21*

Mizuno MP4 4-P

Vokey SM9 50/56/60

L.A.B Direct Force 2.1

6 hours ago, infinii said:

I came in here to ask about this. I'm finding that many of my approach shots aren't holding the green as well as my 15yr old TM 300. I don't have any LM numbers to refer to but was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same. I get great height and distance but so many shots are just rolling off the back of the green for me.

One possibility is that I'm still not used to the longer distance (but unlikely as I'm landing the green) and I'm simply taking too much club. I'm already clubbing down a whole club compared to my old set.

Green holding capabilities are a function of decent angle and spin.  Spin is influenced by your ball and the loft of your club.  Taking a quick look at your TM 300 specs compared to the zx5, you SHOULD be taking 1 less club.  The loft of your OLD 7 iron is the same as your current 8 iron.  So if your new 8 iron can not hold the green like your old 7 iron, then your spin rate has decreased.  Either your decent angle needs to increase or you can try a higher spinning ball.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:13 PM, quikcolin said:

Just spent an hour at my club on range with my new ZX7 4-AW Modus 120 Stiff. First my gamers are Apex Pro 21 irons with PX IO’s and enjoy them. But I was looking for a 2nd set of true traditional forged irons that offer some forgiveness and that buttery forged feel.  FYI I’m playing at an 7.8 index. 

First let say I am completely shocked.  These ZX7’s are no joke. I can get over the turf interaction with this v sole.  I’ve never felt anything like. Tbh I figured it was all hype. But I can say wholeheartedly that it’s legit. I’m a big of a digger and I’m blown away with how well I can make contact. More than that, a handful of shots that should have been viscous hooks turned into baby fades. My Apex Pros with that same shot would have been a boomerang. 

my favorite part is how easy the 6, 5 and 4 irons are to hit. The forgiveness is shocking. I’m a decent ball striker, but my gosh even thin shots get up and bogie. 

my course has 2 year old pinnacle range balls, so the feel was muted quite a bit, but I’m one happy camper. Going to game them on Thursday, looking forward to play with a real ball. 

First Srixon irons, and certainly not my last. 

My zx7 4-GW arrived finally last Thursday and I hit a bucket of balls off a mat on the way home.  Loved them.  They are replacing 2019 Callaway Apex.  I wanted something that better feel and feedback than the Apex.  I also loved the Apex but the everything around the middle of the club face always felt the same.  On bad mishits I could tell where I was missing it and the Apex generally doesn't punish you much for those.  The Srixons just have that rewarding feel though when you hit one on the sweet spot.  The only problem I'm having is with the GW.  I guess the Apex GW was covering up my poor strikes so much that I'm really all over the place with that club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skmcclure said:

My zx7 4-GW arrived finally last Thursday and I hit a bucket of balls off a mat on the way home.  Loved them.  They are replacing 2019 Callaway Apex.  I wanted something that better feel and feedback than the Apex.  I also loved the Apex but the everything around the middle of the club face always felt the same.  On bad mishits I could tell where I was missing it and the Apex generally doesn't punish you much for those.  The Srixons just have that rewarding feel though when you hit one on the sweet spot.  The only problem I'm having is with the GW.  I guess the Apex GW was covering up my poor strikes so much that I'm really all over the place with that club.

I now have about 4 rounds under my belt, and these things keep getting better and better.  That rewarding feeling your describing is pure magic.  So butter smooth.  My Apex21's were just too "blah" on flushed shots, don't get me wrong, I like them... but the ZX7's have a permanent place in the bag.

Just to touch on the long irons again after more seat time with them... I can't get over how easy the 6, 5 and 4 irons are to hit.  I know many mix the ZX5's and ZX Utility irons in with the ZX7's, and that may be the right route for some, but I wouldn't discount the ZX7 long irons, they're quite easy to hit!!

The love affair continues.  I'm actually considering replacing my Callaway MD5 wedges for Cleveland Zipcores (mid) with the v sole after enjoying the ZX7's like I have.

Edited by quikcolin

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST MAX w/MMT 60 X

Fairway - Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS w/ MMT 70 X

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 3H w/ Evenflow Black 85 X

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore 50 / 54 / 58 w/ TT Spinners

Putter(s) - Evnroll ER2 Blackout | Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven DB Tour Line

I have been playing the ZX7 since the beginning of last season and I am really impressed with these irons.  My set came alittle light with a swingweight of C9, but I added some lead tape to each of them to get them up to D2.5, and I have been really happy since making that adjustment. 

I want to relay one story.  I was playing with a friend last week who has the ZX5's and he told me that 3 members at his Arizona club bought both sets of ZX5's and ZX7's, and all 3 golfers play the ZX5's exclusively now.  All three golfers are single digit handicaps.  It made me question my decision, so I ordered a 5,6,7 iron in the ZX5, to create a blended set.  I hope to have them in the next few weeks.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft