ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

8 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

This is impossible to answer with any confidence. No idea 2hat your swing is like and what you liked/disliked about previous sticks.

Well I can tell you 100 SS with driver. Moderate tempo and easy downswing. Picker not a digger 

i210 - liked them but shafts didn’t work so didn’t give them a chance 

p790 - blade length was a little long after playing the apex 

apex CF19 - liked everything about them. Sold them and now don’t want to spend the money for them since i can get a Srixon set for a good price 

699 pro - not a fan of the feel and can’t seem to get a good feel for them 

hopefully that helps. I understand no one sees my swing just want to get an idea of what people have been going with and why if you’ve played those similar irons 

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

1 hour ago, agood3putt said:

Question for y’all

Which would you say is the better iron for someone who has previously played P790, Apex CF19, i210 and Sub70 699 Pros? 

ZX5 or 7? 

decent ball striker

The one most similar to all those irons is the ZX5 for sure. It’s in the same Distance iron category with lower lofts, added forgiveness, and foam filling.

The ZX7’s are surprisingly forgiving though, so most that have hit them would tell you to at least test them out if you can.

I personally prefer the ZX7’s over ZX5 because of their additional feel, control, and turf interaction, but if you’re used to thicker soles with more forgiveness the ZX5’s could be fantastic for you.

The feel of the ZX5’s is not bad by any means, and better than the irons that you listed that I’ve tested (P790, 699 Pro, CF19).

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Thanks brotha @BallerNateshould’ve just sent you a PM I was hoping for your response. Haha. As a fellow tall golfer we need to stick together! 

im going to go to my local shop in a couple weeks and try both! 

Edited by agood3putt
  • Thanks 1

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

8 hours ago, HOLN1UK said:

You got my attention! I currently play the i210s with AWS 2.0 stiff, and love them -- mainly for their consistency, and forgiveness when hit off the toe. But what attracts me about the ZX7 is the thinner sole. What shaft did you use in your i210s, and what shaft is in your ZX7?  Thanks!

I210s have the DG120 and Zx7 has Elevate 95s.  Had a great year with the Zx7s, but I am trying a combo set of Blueprints/i210s this spring. I always end up going back to Ping irons.  Zx7s are an incredible set of irons though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, agood3putt said:

Thanks brotha @BallerNateshould’ve just sent you a PM I was hoping for your response. Haha. As a fellow tall golfer we need to stick together! 

im going to go to my local shop in a couple weeks and try both! 

Haha…indeed, us tall guys are a different breed of Golfers with different problems!

Always happy to help and feel free to shoot me a DM anytime.

For sure testing both is the best way to go to get a feel for which you prefer…both really good irons, just different in how they’re built and how they play.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Should be easy for anyone considering either set to get into them at a greatly reduced cost. eBay is flooded with both right now.

Makes you wonder if all these Srixon vs the world threads are getting people to try and then dumping them. And yes, I have owned Srixon

I wish more people would dump T100s on the market.....

I've put in some more time with my ZX5 set and will finally get another round with them on Sunday. After that I'll make a decision whether to keep them or stick with my Z565 set. 

I've come to appreciate the level of power and control I'm sensing from the ZX5's. I hadn't played any of the "new tech" hollow irons so the feel took some getting used to. The consistency seems to be excellent, but then I've only been hitting into a net for a few weeks with a SC200 to measure speeds and estimate distances. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Well men, I took the plunge and found a good set of ZX7s to give a go. Been eye balling them for a while with others pulling me other directions. But I have to try that V-sole. Been rocking my AP2 714s since they came out and they’ve been everything I could need in a iron. And there’s really no need to move away, but I felt it’s time to try something new. Super excited to get these in my hands and give them a try. So much good talk about the 7s. Got them with X100s. Hear people talk of low spin from these. May need some loft tweaks potentially but I’m game to make those adjustments if needed

• Like 1

[u]Driver [/u]- Taylormade M5 9 degree - Tensei Pro White 70TX
[u]3 wood[/u] - TEE CB4--Axivcore Tour Green 85X
[u]Hybrid[/u] - Callaway X2hot 18 Tour Green 75X
[u]Irons[/u] - Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG X100
[u]Wedges [/u]- SM7 52, SM5 58 DG X100
[u]Putter [/u]- Seemore FGP Mallet

2 hours ago, rodney24 said:

Well men, I took the plunge and found a good set of ZX7s to give a go. Been eye balling them for a while with others pulling me other directions. But I have to try that V-sole. Been rocking my AP2 714s since they came out and they’ve been everything I could need in a iron. And there’s really no need to move away, but I felt it’s time to try something new. Super excited to get these in my hands and give them a try. So much good talk about the 7s. Got them with X100s. Hear people talk of low spin from these. May need some loft tweaks potentially but I’m game to make those adjustments if needed

Nice…enjoy and hopefully they’ll be a great fit for you!

I’ve had my ZX5/ZX7 combo set since September and they are extremely good…no idea what will come along that can knock them out of the bag!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

16 hours ago, rodney24 said:

I bet you'll like them. 

My favorite irons so far were a set of Z765's, but I moved them when I decided to go back to graphite shafts. Maybe reshafting them would have been the right call after all, though the cost of doing that seemed prohibitive. 

I had my second round with the ZX5's yesterday. I did hit some good shots but overall I'm not sure the wider sole and duller leading edge of the ZX5's are going to work for me. The best approaches I hit were actually with my Z785 AW. Probably the ZX7's would suit me better. 

It's really hard to judge this time of year when our fairways are wet dormant Bermuda. OTOH when I had the Z765's I loved the way they cut right through that stuff! 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 9:56 AM, me05501 said:

I bet you'll like them. 

My favorite irons so far were a set of Z765's, but I moved them when I decided to go back to graphite shafts. Maybe reshafting them would have been the right call after all, though the cost of doing that seemed prohibitive. 

I had my second round with the ZX5's yesterday. I did hit some good shots but overall I'm not sure the wider sole and duller leading edge of the ZX5's are going to work for me. The best approaches I hit were actually with my Z785 AW. Probably the ZX7's would suit me better. 

It's really hard to judge this time of year when our fairways are wet dormant Bermuda. OTOH when I had the Z765's I loved the way they cut right through that stuff! 

Soooo I'm a ho and I bought another set...a blended set this time. 

ZXU 4 iron, 5-6 ZX5, 7-PW ZX7. These are on AD Tour 95 stiff graphite shafts which feel like a better fit than the MMT 105's I tried earlier. 

I'm looking forward to getting these on the course this weekend. 

• Like 4

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

half the battle is admitting u are a ho.

• Thanks 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Just went through all 23x pages of this topic and not sure that it has helped or hurt my cause.  A lot of love for both irons but so many varying opinions on which set and to split or not to split.  Demoed both the ZX5 and ZX7 heads yesterday for 2 plus hours at Golf Galaxy.  Both felt great and the numbers were slightly better with the ZX5 7x iron but the edge on feel was the ZX7.  Very torn on which way to go as I don't think I want to go mixed set.  What made me consider going all in on the Zx7s was that there was a full set in demo area and I was able to hit the Zx7 5 iron.  Even though it had the Modus 120 in it which is quite different than the Elevate 95s I am considering, the 5 iron felt great and did not feel like too much club for me whatsoever.  I am an 8 handicap up from a 5 due to winter golf in Atlanta.  Currently playing the Ping i210s and looking for a bit more length and launch.

I think I would be fine going all in on either set but if I go 5s, I will always wonder about the 7s.  If I go 7s, I will have 90 days to decide and can use playability to go to the 5s if necessary.  I am going to try to take both heads out to a grass range to make ultimate decision but not sure if that will be possible.  Have a steep (-6-7) attack angle so thinking the v sole will really help me and maybe the larger sole on the 5s are the ticket.

Decisions, decisions.       

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Frase said:

Just went through all 23x pages of this topic and not sure that it has helped or hurt my cause.  A lot of love for both irons but so many varying opinions on which set and to split or not to split.  Demoed both the ZX5 and ZX7 heads yesterday for 2 plus hours at Golf Galaxy.  Both felt great and the numbers were slightly better with the ZX5 7x iron but the edge on feel was the ZX7.  Very torn on which way to go as I don't think I want to go mixed set.  What made me consider going all in on the Zx7s was that there was a full set in demo area and I was able to hit the Zx7 5 iron.  Even though it had the Modus 120 in it which is quite different than the Elevate 95s I am considering, the 5 iron felt great and did not feel like too much club for me whatsoever.  I am an 8 handicap up from a 5 due to winter golf in Atlanta.  Currently playing the Ping i210s and looking for a bit more length and launch.

I think I would be fine going all in on either set but if I go 5s, I will always wonder about the 7s.  If I go 7s, I will have 90 days to decide and can use playability to go to the 5s if necessary.  I am going to try to take both heads out to a grass range to make ultimate decision but not sure if that will be possible.  Have a steep (-6-7) attack angle so thinking the v sole will really help me and maybe the larger sole on the 5s are the ticket.

Decisions, decisions.       

I felt the same way reading through this thread a couple months ago. I decided to go the “safe” route and ordered an 8 iron in the ZX5. I’m about a 10 handicap, and similar steep angle of attack (7 down with a 7i). I have liked the ZX5, but I think I’d like the ZX7 better in 7i-PW, and ZX5 in the 5 and 6. I have figured out that I tend to do better with a bit thinner sole. I get away with the thicker ZX5 sole because of the V-sole design. Otherwise I wouldn’t like it as much.

The ZX5 8-iron turf interaction is better for me than my gamer Apex 21. Ball flight is way more neutral too. I’m pulling my short irons way left in the Apexes, but maybe it has more to do with lie angle being too upright. 

I honestly think you’d get away with and be happier with ZX7.  DO IT! ZX7s all the way!

• Like 1

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

I went all ZX7. 5 hdcp.

I don’t believe there’s really that much extra forgiveness in the ZX5.  Having said that 5 iron is my longest iron.

If you’re not going to go a combo then you have to figure out the gapping with your wedges.  44 degree PW, then what?

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

11 hours ago, Arlin964 said:

I felt the same way reading through this thread a couple months ago. I decided to go the “safe” route and ordered an 8 iron in the ZX5. I’m about a 10 handicap, and similar steep angle of attack (7 down with a 7i). I have liked the ZX5, but I think I’d like the ZX7 better in 7i-PW, and ZX5 in the 5 and 6. I have figured out that I tend to do better with a bit thinner sole. I get away with the thicker ZX5 sole because of the V-sole design. Otherwise I wouldn’t like it as much.

The ZX5 8-iron turf interaction is better for me than my gamer Apex 21. Ball flight is way more neutral too. I’m pulling my short irons way left in the Apexes, but maybe it has more to do with lie angle being too upright. 

I honestly think you’d get away with and be happier with ZX7.  DO IT! ZX7s all the way!

As if I need any more of a push to go all in...thanks Arlin.  Itching to pull the trigger but now I am noticing that they may not have the shafts I want in stock.  Arghhh.

8 hours ago, anth said:

I went all ZX7. 5 hdcp.

I don’t believe there’s really that much extra forgiveness in the ZX5.  Having said that 5 iron is my longest iron.

If you’re not going to go a combo then you have to figure out the gapping with your wedges.  44 degree PW, then what?

I think I would get the gap wedge or A wedge that comes with the set and then maybe 54-58 or 54-60.

10 hours ago, anth said:

I went all ZX7. 5 hdcp.

what is the attack wedge degree?

Well, I was fortunate enough to take the ZX5 7 iron and ZX7 7 iron with the same shaft in both, the Elevate 95, out to a driving range today.  Wasn't in the best condition as it was pretty dried out but found a few patches of better grass for my test.

Went in with an open mind but at the end of the day...no contest.  ZX7 felt better, launched higher, went farther, and sounded much better.  While they look very similar at address, I was surprised at how much better strikes i was getting with the ZX7.  Now granted, it was the 7 iron and perhaps I should consider the ZX5 for the 5 and 6 but I may just go all in with the full set of ZX7 and see how that goes first.  

Only challenge is that I did not see the Elevate 95 shaft when I try to customize set on Srixon's website.  Did I read somewhere that this shaft is getting discontinued?  Would that be just my luck.  Looking for a lighter and softer shaft than my Steelfiber i110 Stiff shafts in my Pings and need more launch and spin so the Elevates were just the ticket.         

I still have my 765 irons and love them, but looking at the zx7 for sure, my AW wedge in that set is 51 degrees and I love it

2 hours ago, The Frase said:

Well, I was fortunate enough to take the ZX5 7 iron and ZX7 7 iron with the same shaft in both, the Elevate 95, out to a driving range today.  Wasn't in the best condition as it was pretty dried out but found a few patches of better grass for my test.

Went in with an open mind but at the end of the day...no contest.  ZX7 felt better, launched higher, went farther, and sounded much better.  While they look very similar at address, I was surprised at how much better strikes i was getting with the ZX7.  Now granted, it was the 7 iron and perhaps I should consider the ZX5 for the 5 and 6 but I may just go all in with the full set of ZX7 and see how that goes first.  

Only challenge is that I did not see the Elevate 95 shaft when I try to customize set on Srixon's website.  Did I read somewhere that this shaft is getting discontinued?  Would that be just my luck.  Looking for a lighter and softer shaft than my Steelfiber i110 Stiff shafts in my Pings and need more launch and spin so the Elevates were just the ticket.         

Recoil 95?

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

6 hours ago, The Frase said:

My experience is the same as yours. Had all ZX5 but always wondered about the ZX7 so I ordered 7-PW in Zx7 keeping the 4-6 in ZX5. Zx7 short irons are longer for me at same loft specs and contact and feel are just much better. I think the narrower soles help me on these 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

My experience is the same as yours. Had all ZX5 but always wondered about the ZX7 so I ordered 7-PW in Zx7 keeping the 4-6 in ZX5. Zx7 short irons are longer for me at same loft specs and contact and feel are just much better. I think the narrower soles help me on these 

Agree with this as well. ZX7 are stupid good 7-PW and ZX5 in 5-6 for me are nice! 

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

On 3/6/2022 at 1:08 AM, anth said:

I went all ZX7. 5 hdcp.

PW 44
AW 50
SW 56
LW 64 <- I can get up & down with this club around the green like nobodys bidness. 

• Haha 1

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Actually enjoying the ZX5's here in 

the south , noticed the increased ballspeed with these irons. Not having any desire to blend with the 7's. 

The v sole handles the Bermuda fairways very well. Can forecast maybe the next generation srixons to replace the 785's that I use in the summer.

Very satisfied with ZX5'S.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

When I first started looking into replacing my Sub70 699 Pro irons I got interested in the Srixon irons. On paper the ZX5 would have been the smart choice as it is a little more forgiving. I am so happy I didnt go a full ZX5 set. I am decent iron striker and was worried about going a combo set but if anyone in the 10-15 HC range is worried about the forgiveness of the ZX7 (especially in the short clubs) dont be. Great irons

• Like 2

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

12 minutes ago, agood3putt said:

When I first started looking into replacing my Sub70 699 Pro irons I got interested in the Srixon irons. On paper the ZX5 would have been the smart choice as it is a little more forgiving. I am so happy I didnt go a full ZX5 set. I am decent iron striker and was worried about going a combo set but if anyone in the 10-15 HC range is worried about the forgiveness of the ZX7 (especially in the short clubs) dont be. Great irons

Indeed! ZX7’s are shockingly forgiving for their size aren’t they? Incredible clubs for sure!!

• Like 3

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

17 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Indeed! ZX7’s are shockingly forgiving for their size aren’t they? Incredible clubs for sure!!

Im waiting on my zx7 8 iron to demo, only hit the zx5 so far, but my question is, if the zx7 is just as forgiving as the zx5 then why would anyone order a full set of zx5?

On 3/12/2022 at 9:31 AM, ob1soccer said:

Im waiting on my zx7 8 iron to demo, only hit the zx5 so far, but my question is, if the zx7 is just as forgiving as the zx5 then why would anyone order a full set of zx5?

Can only speak for myself, I chose a full set of ZX5'S for the tech would help maintain ball speed across the face , decent looks and  workability.

I have been a long time cb and mb player, and will use my 785's this summer when I am north.  Still able to generate decent clubhead speed at 62 years old, but certainly need to keep an eye towards the future as I age. Great capabilities now are not a guarantee for future play. Just a touch of forecasting that was a consideration on this ZX5 purchase.

Edited by puttingmatt
  • Like 2

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC