ZX5 vs. ZX7 -- a 6HC's review

SeaIsland

The ZX 

On 9/6/2021 at 5:13 AM, BallerNate said:

Any other long term reviews of the ZX5’s and ZX7’s?

For those who have combo’d them, have most of you gone with 4-5 in ZX5 and 6-PW in ZX7?

I’ve got the ZX5’s now in 4-5 and have an order in with Srixon for ZX7’s in 6-PW to replace my Z 785’s. On the fence for the 6-iron though whether I should go ZX5 there and bend it 1* weak, or  just go ZX7 there?

I go to ZX5 in the 6 iron.

I have an 11 yard gap between average 6i and average 7i - taken from my shotscope stats.  This is standard without bending.  So I wouldn't worry too much about tinkering with lofts personally, they seem well suited to blending in my experience.

In reply to another question about fliers.  You can definitely step on the a lot ZX5 more than the ZX7.  My stock 6 iron is 165, but I can push this out to 180 much easier than I could any other irons.    My ZX7 7 iron averages 155 but I cant squeeze it past 160.  

Favourite club in the bag is that 6 iron though, has made me consider going 7 iron in ZX5 as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver - SIM2 Max

5W / 4H / 5H - G410

3i - SIM

Irons - ZX5/ZX7 

Wedges - MD5

Bettinardi QB8/Stability Shaft/P2 grip

3 hours ago, Jamie_Tee said:

The ZX 

I go to ZX5 in the 6 iron.

I have an 11 yard gap between average 6i and average 7i - taken from my shotscope stats.  This is standard without bending.  So I wouldn't worry too much about tinkering with lofts personally, they seem well suited to blending in my experience.

In reply to another question about fliers.  You can definitely step on the a lot ZX5 more than the ZX7.  My stock 6 iron is 165, but I can push this out to 180 much easier than I could any other irons.    My ZX7 7 iron averages 155 but I cant squeeze it past 160.  

Favourite club in the bag is that 6 iron though, has made me consider going 7 iron in ZX5 as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up testing out both the ZX5 and ZX7 in the 6-iron spot and prefer the ZX7 there for me personally.

Really loving the ZX7's and just got an A-Wedge delivered yesterday that was hitting everything within 6-10 feet today! My ZX5 5-iron was supposed to be bent 1* weak by Srixon, but the golf shop just told me today it was actually 2* weak at 26*. Today I bent the 4-iron to 21* and the 5-iron to 24*, so we'll see what the results will be for me now going forward with the ZX5's in those spots.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

8 hours ago, mukster said:

Really enjoying my ZX5's added two Zipcore wedges, a 54* and a full face RTX 58*

I see no need to change my 8-PW to zx7s as the ZX5s are doing exactly what I want from them.

Playing them with the Modus 120 stiff. really starting to like those shafts.

Me too. Couldn't get the ZX Gap wedge so I bought the CBX2 50° and that seems to be filling the gap nicely. I already had older model RTX wedges in 54° and 58° that round my set out. I'm loving the ZX5 irons and like you I really don't know what I would gain from bagging the ZX7 irons in the 7-PW. The ZX5 5 iron at 24° is the same loft as my old 4 iron but it is definitely easier to hit and gaps perfectly with my 23° hybrid. 

• Like 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Have a combo zx5 in 5-7 and zx7 in 8-P, in play for 11 months. Fantastic and really good value compared to other brands (in Aus). I am semi shallow through the ball and the sole on the 7's are great for that but can struggle with the 5's through the turf at times.

5's are really forgiving, especially on toe strikes and don't have any flyer issues. Also help to produce a higher ball flight. The 7's are near perfect and tick every box I could want in an iron.   

Edited by Caesar's shank
typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

Me too. Couldn't get the ZX Gap wedge so I bought the CBX2 50° and that seems to be filling the gap nicely. I already had older model RTX wedges in 54° and 58° that round my set out. I'm loving the ZX5 irons and like you I really don't know what I would gain from bagging the ZX7 irons in the 7-PW. The ZX5 5 iron at 24° is the same loft as my old 4 iron but it is definitely easier to hit and gaps perfectly with my 23° hybrid. 

I finally retired my 58° Mizuno wedge and replaced it with the RTX full face 58. It’s a great wedge, highly recommend it. 
Not sure what would knock the zx5s out of the bag, really happy.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

5 hours ago, Caesar's shank said:

Have a combo zx5 in 5-7 and zx7 in 8-P, in play for 11 months. Fantastic and really good value compared to other brands (in Aus). I am semi swallow through the ball and the sole on the 7's are great for that but can struggle with the 5's through the turf at times.

5's are really forgiving, especially on toe strikes and don't have any flyer issues. Also help to produce a higher ball flight. The 7's are near perfect and tick every box I could want in an iron.   

Can I ask what handicap you are? I keep reading this and it makes me curious about getting the ZX7 in say 7-PW (for my Sunday bag). Just to see what all the fuss is about (and what I might be missing). 😁

10 hours ago, Caesar's shank said:

Have a combo zx5 in 5-7 and zx7 in 8-P, in play for 11 months. Fantastic and really good value compared to other brands (in Aus). I am semi swallow through the ball and the sole on the 7's are great for that but can struggle with the 5's through the turf at times.

I agree with this. I originally got fitted into a combo set of 4-6 zx5 7-pw zx7. I thought the zx5 long irons were so good that I ended up trying out a whole set of zx5. I struggled with the sole on the shorter irons and I am now back to my combo set 

Edited by BostonWRX

I guess I will be the buzz kill in this thread. I tried the ZX5 and just didn't like them. I went back to T100s. I know that these irons are not supposed to be comparable and I had a Modus3 105 R in the Srixon's compared to a KBS Tour S in the T100s. The two issues I had were that I could see some of the backside of the club on the longer irons and I could not feel the strike on the face like I could with the T100 irons unless it was an extreme toe/heel strike. Sometimes the ball would just go places that didn't seem to make sense with what I felt in my hands. Probably more fair to put KBS in the ZX5 but just my two cents on this. 

Love my zx5s… probably could have gone 8-gw in the 7s, but didn’t see much point…

I think they feel great and my mishits don’t punish me a ton… really looking forward to having them dialed in!

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

1 hour ago, Scottyrocket said:

I guess I will be the buzz kill in this thread. I tried the ZX5 and just didn't like them. I went back to T100s. I know that these irons are not supposed to be comparable and I had a Modus3 105 R in the Srixon's compared to a KBS Tour S in the T100s. The two issues I had were that I could see some of the backside of the club on the longer irons and I could not feel the strike on the face like I could with the T100 irons unless it was an extreme toe/heel strike. Sometimes the ball would just go places that didn't seem to make sense with what I felt in my hands. Probably more fair to put KBS in the ZX5 but just my two cents on this. 

Modus 105 (S) has been the one Nippon shaft I have tried that didn't work for me.  Same issues you had.  Ironically, it was in a set of 718 AP2's.  I probably didn't give them enough time, but I went back to the DG 120 gram shafts I was using, and all was well again.

So yes, it's definitely worth another go with something like the KBS Tours you are having success with.

• Like 1

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

19 hours ago, Chazb said:

Well today I bought the zx5s with regular shaft.I took them to the range with my PXGs 2 series comparing the the two the Z5s were the winner with longer higher and easier to control.

what version pxg irons did you compare them to? I have gen 1 xf and was wondering if the head is and big and chunky?

8 hours ago, BostonWRX said:

I agree with this. I originally got fitted into a combo set of 4-6 zx5 7-pw zx7. I thought the zx5 long irons were so good that I ended up trying out a whole set of zx5. I struggled with the sole on the shorter irons and I am now back to my combo set 

Can you elaborate on what you were struggling with?

2 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

Can you elaborate on what you were struggling with?

I’m more of a semi picker with long irons and get pretty steep as I go down the bag. Just felt the turf interaction and consistency with the 5s in the short irons was not there for me like the 7s. I’m assuming it was Bc of the sole difference. Not sure what else it would be 

14 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

Can I ask what handicap you are? I keep reading this and it makes me curious about getting the ZX7 in say 7-PW (for my Sunday bag). Just to see what all the fuss is about (and what I might be missing). 😁

9.4 atm - as long as your face is *somewhat* under control I wouldn't hesitate to try the 7s. The other reason I like them over the 5's in the shorter irons is control on knockdowns, this is the first split set I've ever played and that has been the biggest difference so far. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BostonWRX said:

I’m more of a semi picker with long irons and get pretty steep as I go down the bag. Just felt the turf interaction and consistency with the 5s in the short irons was not there for me like the 7s. I’m assuming it was Bc of the sole difference. Not sure what else it would be 

Thanks. I’m still confused though. What was the struggle? Hooks, fliers, etc?

I was bragging to one of my buddies yesterday about the VT sole and the awesomeness of the turf interaction and how it just glides through the turf. So he grabbed my 5 iron and hit a massive chunked/fat approach shot. 

He doesn't normally hit fat shots. LOL

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kiwihacker said:

I was bragging to one of my buddies yesterday about the VT sole and the awesomeness of the turf interaction and how it just glides through the turf. So he grabbed my 5 iron and hit a massive chunked/fat approach shot. 

He doesn't normally hit fat shots. LOL

Yes, but it would have been even more fat without the VT sole. 😉

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

So started with 4-pw ZX5 with stiff Nippon 105s..... which I really liked, especially the long irons.

Then got a set of the 4-pw ZX7 with stiff Nippon 120s because I really like the soles and wanted a slightly heavier shaft.

Been going back and forth between the two and now I've settled on a split set of 4-6 ZX5 and 7-PW ZX7s.....crazy thing is keeping the shafts with a mix of 105s and 120s with these heads actually works for me in terms of yardages.  Not trying to noodle it too much but didn't expect it to work out like it has. 

Though I probably hit the ZX5 short irons slightly longer, feel much more accurate with the ZX7s and the slightly higher spin is really nice for holding greens and perhaps a bit more predictable.  The ZX7 longer irons felt like a bit of a struggle if I didn't put perfect swings on it.

The one "falling asleep thought" I do have is what if I put the Nippon 105s in the ZX7s and maybe that would be the best of both worlds..... 

Edited by Yanger

SIM 2 Max - Tensei AV Raw Blue 60 Stiff
3W - SIM 15 - Ventus Red Stiff
Srixon ZX 3 19 - Evenflow Riptide 80 Stiff
4-6 Srixon ZX5 Nippon 105 S

7-PW Srixon ZX7  Nippon T120 S
50, 55, 60 Vokey SM8 Nippon 105 S
Scotty Cameron 2.7

• 3 months later...
On 9/29/2021 at 7:10 PM, BostonWRX said:

Not as consistent distance on the short irons. Guessing the bigger sole is sticking a little more in the turf on me but who knows. Happy with the Combo set 

I now know what you mean about the short irons. Ordered 7-PW in ZX7 so we’ll see. 

Edited by Mobert19

I had the ZX5s for a minute (just sold it). The face was forgiving, for sure. It was very hot. My personal problem was the sole width. I just personally don't like that wide of a width and couldn't get used to it. I switched over to the ZX7s and found my distances to be pretty much the same and dispersion improved because, again, I personally like thinner soles. 

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

The sole is bigger than the ZX 7's but I knew that before I bought them. I used to play PING shovels and they were nice as the ZX 5's are not shovels. I played the KING TOUR MIM's as the sole was thin and I like them but the longer irons were not as forgiving as I wanted when my swing was a little off. I see many Srixon plays with mixed set with their longer irons being the ZX 5's. For me the 5's are the best irons I've ever owned as I think the 7's would be just as nice.  Now if I was a better ball striker I might have bought the 7's.

What really stands out for me was my 1st time out very 1st hole 350 yards dogleg right I tee'ed off with my 4 iron right perfectly where I wanted 215 yards out with only 135 yards down hill left I then  put my PW shot 2 ft. from the pin for a birdie. Now was it luck or the honey moon phase, no it wasn't for my confidence has reached a new level to where the game is fun again for me. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I played 5-PW ZX7's for a big chunk of last year.  The only time I didn't play them was adding a ZX5 and ZX4 in the 4 iron shot and played around with them.  I still have the ZX4 4 iron, and if it didn't have so much offset I would still have it.  The ZX5 in 4 iron went into the bag.  Then seeing how easy it was to hit, I added a ZX5 in the 5 iron, and it was better for me than the ZX7 5 iron.

Before you have Srixon bend these before hitting them, just stop.  You bend for known yardage gaps, not expected ones.  I play weird lengths and lofts in general and normally bend my irons quite a bit when I get them, but the 5 iron was good.  It hit the launch window I wanted with pretty much the exact spin I wanted.  In comparing it to my ZX7 5 iron the ZX5 launched a bit higher but went a bit far with not quite enough spin(I have two sets of Recoil 110's to make this testing a bit easier).  So I put it at 25*(1 degree), and voila' my launch and spin were where I wanted them.  IN the ZX5 4 iron I actually bent it to 21* and it fit right in where I wanted it.   Since I play 1/4" gaps off of a "standard" 7 iron, my 4 iron has a pretty big disparity in shaft length from a standard one, but the higher launching head makes it work out perfectly.  So if I played standard lengths my 5 iron probably would have been the perfect window without bending, but I hit center more often with my weird lengths, and these irons take lead tape so well it is not even funny.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 2 weeks later...

Just added the ZX7 7-PW and it is exactly what I needed. My distances are slightly longer (had them bent strong to match the ZX5 loft set initially) and dispersion much tighter. Something about the thicker soles messed me up when I got to 9 and PW. Maybe it was mental, I don’t know. But love the way these feel. Kept the ZX5 4-6 and put the 7-PW on BST. 

I'm looking at the ZX5s or ZX7s, and one of my holdups is deciding on the shaft.  I hit the ZX5 7-iron today with the Nippon  950GH NEO,and the Nippon MODUS 105. I was getting better numbers and more solid strikes with the 105, even though I wanted to like the NEO more. I just figured the NEO would be better for hitting the ball higher, and it would be a better fit as I grow older. I'm going back to try the ZX7, and see how that works out with different shafts. 

Driver: Ping G430 10.5* w/ Tour Chrome stiff 3-wood: Ping G425 w/ Mitsubishi Orange stiff 7-wood: Ping G425 w/ Alta reg Hybrid: Ping G425 22* w/ Alta reg Irons: Ping i210 5-U w/ AWT 2.0 stiff Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 54* & Titleist Vokey SM6 58* jet black finish Putter: Guerin Tour Spec mallet 35.5”

On 6/15/2021 at 7:46 AM, realmfg said:

Im a 12 handicap and the zx7 are the best irons I've owned for forgiveness.  I played ping i210s prior, which I love, and the zx7s seem more forgiving with extra distance.  Definitely do not need to be scratch to play these.   My first 9 holes with the zx7 I shot a 40 (+4).  

You got my attention! I currently play the i210s with AWS 2.0 stiff, and love them -- mainly for their consistency, and forgiveness when hit off the toe. But what attracts me about the ZX7 is the thinner sole. What shaft did you use in your i210s, and what shaft is in your ZX7?  Thanks!

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 10.5* w/ Tour Chrome stiff 3-wood: Ping G425 w/ Mitsubishi Orange stiff 7-wood: Ping G425 w/ Alta reg Hybrid: Ping G425 22* w/ Alta reg Irons: Ping i210 5-U w/ AWT 2.0 stiff Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 54* & Titleist Vokey SM6 58* jet black finish Putter: Guerin Tour Spec mallet 35.5”

Question for y’all

Which would you say is the better iron for someone who has previously played P790, Apex CF19, i210 and Sub70 699 Pros? 

ZX5 or 7? 

decent ball striker

Edited by agood3putt
  • Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

1 hour ago, agood3putt said:

Question for y’all

Which would you say is the better iron for someone who has previously played P790, Apex CF19, i210 and Sub70 699 Pros? 

ZX5 or 7? 

decent ball striker

This is impossible to answer with any confidence. No idea 2hat your swing is like and what you liked/disliked about previous sticks.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB