Set Gap Wedge Feedback

mxskier

Im planning on putting the 0311T gap wedge to replace my aging 50.08 vokey. The 51 loft of the PXG will then gap nicely to the 56/60 I'm gaming.

I don't often hit the 50 vokey for anything but full shots or 3/4 "smooth" shots. The 130y stock shot, 140y hammer, and 105y 3/4 shot. My fitter said that he prefers to put in the set gap wedge if possible, even for people who are in the low single digits, if the wedge is being used like this. I hardly ever hit the current 50 out of any bunkers.

Any thoughts given the above described way I use my gap wedge? And for anyone who owns/games the 0311T, what were your thoughts? Did you stick with it or go back to the specialty wedge?

Edited by mxskier
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

• mxskier changed the title to Set Gap Wedge Feedback

Depending on the set of course as some can get pretty chunky, I like my set GW/UW and prefer it over a "specialty" wedge.  Like you, used primarily as a full to 3/4 swing club with the occasional chipping here and there (working on it with this club and having favorable results).

A Revolving Door

I did that with my previous irons. A set 50* GW then 54/58. Now I kind of have both. My set GW is 48*. It's pretty much a full swing club only. Then I go 52, 56, 60. The 52 is occasionally a full swing club but I try to keep most wedges to a 3/4 swing at most. 

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

For a few years I was in the camp of ending my iron set at the PW, then specialty from GW down. I struggled to find a good feeling GW that blended in with the irons b/c I too primarily use it as a full swing club. When I ordered my current set of JPX 921 there was no hesitation in getting the set GW - it gaps great and feels like the rest of the set. Since that GW is 51* it forced me to reexamine my sand wedge as I had been playing a 54*. Wedges are now the 51*, 56* and 60*. Couldn't be happier

Signature!

I use my gap wedge for full swing shots so I stick with the one from the set as opposed to a specialty wedge.  

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

I bought a adams cmb gap wedge head to have a set gap wedge... it cost more than my sub70 wedges.

I spent too much time thinking about my wedge setup, and decided I wanted two wedges to do the majority of work around the greens and two wedges for longer shots... per sieckmann, basically two finesse and two power wedges... 

My whole wedge setup should make sense for my game, low bounce 58 for workability and use on tight lies, 54 higher bounce wedge for around the greens and sand traps. Gap wedge and pitching wedge for the majority of longer wedge shots. Set wedge made more sense here as I wanted more forgiveness.

I think you need to step back and look at your wedge setup as a whole and make sure you have all the shots you need with the equipment you bring.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Over the years I've alternated between having my 49/50 degree club be a "set" gap wedge or a Vokey like my SW and LW. In general I like the "set" wedges just fine. There is one situation where a 50deg Vokey comes in handy, maybe once every 3-4 rounds. That's for long bunker shots of say 30 yards or so. I can play a regular bunker explosion shot with a 50deg Vokey much better than a "set" GW.

But honestly, if I don't have a 50deg Vokey I just play my normal bunker swing with my 54deg and it leaves a long, long putt. I'm not a bad lag putter so it's no big deal. Certainly not worth choosing a club just for a slight advantage once every couple of weeks.

The gap wedge from whatever set of irons that I am using always ends up being my go to or favorite club.  Like someone mentioned above I also use it for full shots.  I have z565's and the sole on the srixon's fit me so well which is another reason why it works for me.  I am not the greatest of wedge players so I feel as though it helps me.  

Went with set gap wedge (50*) for first time ever in my sub70s.  Mainly full shots and 3/4 as you described.  My go to club from 100-110 range.  This is what I have found, I hit more greens and closer proximity.  Simple as that.  The vokey (or any blade wedge) is punishing on off center strikes and you can watch/read a lot on the subject.  

If your hitting your gap wedge from 105-140 that is quite a spread and the extra forgiveness is only going to help you.    Think back all the shots you caught a little high on the vokey and you lost 10+ yards or more if windy.  You will eliminate those and hopefully make a few more putts for birdie.  

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

29 minutes ago, belh22 said:

The gap wedge from whatever set of irons that I am using always ends up being my go to or favorite club.  Like someone mentioned above I also use it for full shots.  I have z565's and the sole on the srixon's fit me so well which is another reason why it works for me.  I am not the greatest of wedge players so I feel as though it helps me.  

This! Traditionally set GW have been my favorite iron I carry. I too do full or 3/4 swing with it. I played 565’s a few years ago and moved onto iblades now. Wish they had a GW because I love the PW. OP, if you like your set PW then get the set GW, you won’t be disappointed. 

When I bought my current Cobra King Tour irons, I fully intended on benching the gap wedge in favor of the Callaway JAWS I had been using. I decided to take the set gap wedge out for the first round, and by chance had a lot of shot distances that fit that wedge perfectly. Hit it so well that I have left it in the bag, and am completely happy with it. I don't find it to be clunky at all, but I'm also someone who is perfectly happy hitting creative chips and runners with my 7 iron down through the wedges around the green.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

I really prefer a set gap wedge over a specialty wedge. For me, it's as much about the sole and leading edge design vs. a specialty as I really only hit full shots with the gap wedge. I'm not often chipping with it, unless it's a long bump and run that requires it. I moved to Titleist irons recently that have, what I guess you would term, an Approach Wedge (48*) and Gap Wedge (52*). I then am bouncing between a 54/58 or 56/60 combo for my specialties ( I have a club buying problem so why not have two sets of wedges). I don't mind only have 2* difference between the set GW and the SW, as again, I'm really hitting the full shots with the GW, then using the SW and LW for pitch, chip, bunker, lob shots, etc.

I've always struggled with hitting full shots with specialty wedges and having that set matched 52* has really taken the pressure off hitting 75-110 yard shots. Find it much easier to hit 3/4 shots with the set matched instead of a full lob wedge and my scoring has improved. 

If my irons came with a gap wedge, I would use it but all mine end at PW.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Well this has been great. I'll see how the club plays once it shows up. Hopefully it gives me the same soft feel I have with my irons and near the same spin as my gap wedge. So it should be pretty cool.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

Whether you use the GW for full shots or not, it depends on the given club model how good it is.

In 2009 I started playing the base Callaway X20 irons. The GW - called AW - was difficult to use. I had a hard time with distance control on partial and full shots.

On the other hand, I got to test out and review the TM SLDR irons in 2014. That AW was excellent for both full and partial shots.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Same with most here, full shots and 3/4 shots with the gap so I stick with the iron set’s gap wedge. I bought a set of Vokey’s 50/54/58 and played that for a bit but the feel and weight of the club was so different from my PW that I quickly went back to the 50* GW from my iron set.

Edited by Bakes0

I'm with you guys on the set GW, though it's a mismatch brand.  For full shots it feels great and has a shape I like to see - extension of irons' square leading edge.  It's a go-to chipping club too maybe getting a little less check on bump and runs.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

Like most, i get the set GW since I mainly use it for full or 3/4 shots. Anything else inside 100yds I use my 54/58. Another reason why I got with the set gap wedge is so the shafts match the rest of the irons without having to pay an additional up charge on specialty wedges. 

Titleist TSR3 10° | Ventus Blue VeloCore+

Titleist TSi2 16.5° | AD DI 7 

Titleist TSi2 21° | AD DI 8 

Srixon ZX5 4-GW | Modus3 105

Taylormade MG4 | 54SB  58SBC

Swag Golf DGAP Handsome One | LAGolf P-Series 135

ProV1X