Spider X users - Did you see improvement in putting

LowAndLeft32

20 minutes ago, SugarLandGolfer said:

I’ve read recently it depends on the greens you play. Fast greens need finesse and May like a blade where slower greens can use the heft of a mallet 

I have also read this and kind of disagree with it, only because on super quick greens you're more likely to have putts that might be lightning and if you're a bit yippy or handsy with a blade it can be easier to manipulate your stroke. A mallet will generally be a bit more stable and stay on "track" better.  I've pretty much always gamed a blade but dabbled in the Spider X last year. Thought it was great! It was towards the end of the season though and I was able to return it as I didn't want the cash out over winter. I picked up a White Hot Pro #7 over winter and I can't see myself ever going away from it. Those morning where you've had a bit too much coffee and you're jittery it just seems to be easier to repeat a good stroke with. 

The main thing with green speed is that generally speaking, a heavier putter head will perform better on fast greens and a lighter on slower greens. Don't tell that to Tiger's 330g elderwand at Augusta though...

• Like 3

Our greens run 10.5-11 most of the season. I went from 20 years as a SC Newport user to a Spider X. My wife had gotten a Spider Tour, and just for fun, I said "let me try that". I went in that day and bought the Spider X!

My observations:

• My lag putts start on line, every time.
  • My lag putting has significantly improved .... I rarely three-putt anything over 60 feet, unless I hit it to the wrong tier of our multi-tiered greens 🙂
  • Inside of 5 feet, I've become deadly. The ball starts on line, and goes where I hit it. I've gone from sub-60% at 5 feet to almost 80%.
  • From 5-15 feet, I just make more putts. I stand over the ball confident I can hole every one. Misses are now misreads, not mishits.

As always, YMMV ....

• Like 4

Just switched from a blade to a Spider X over the winter. Five rounds in with it and I really like the switch. It’s March so the greens in New York have been slow and bumpy but I’m no worse and I feel more confident on short putts. The thing just starts on line, all the time.

I’m adjusting to the lag putting, I feel like all that mass behind the ball is going to send the thing way past the hole and I end up leaving them short. I’m starting to get past the mental block though and just put my regular stroke on it.

I think the thing is really going to pay dividends when the greens quicken up and I just have to concern myself with start line and less so speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goaliedad30 said:

Our greens run 10.5-11 most of the season. I went from 20 years as a SC Newport user to a Spider X. My wife had gotten a Spider Tour, and just for fun, I said "let me try that". I went in that day and bought the Spider X!

My observations:

• My lag putting has significantly improved .... I rarely three-putt anything over 60 feet, unless I hit it to the wrong tier of our multi-tiered greens 🙂
  • Inside of 5 feet, I've become deadly. The ball starts on line, and goes where I hit it. I've gone from sub-60% at 5 feet to almost 80%.
  • From 5-15 feet, I just make more putts. I stand over the ball confident I can hole every one. Misses are now misreads, not mishits.

As always, YMMV ....

Great feedback. Are you guys using face balance or toe hang Spider Xs? @goaliedad30 @Bakes0 @Hammer22

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

I gamed Newports for over 20 years.  In the last year I have dabbled with 3 Spider X.  First I tried a single bend version.  The face-balanced wasn’t quite right.  Switched to slant neck for the end of last year.  It far better for me.  This year I switched to the new hydro finish with the flow neck.  That is the Goldilocks for me.  It’s deadly.  The slightly less toe hang of the flow neck is absolutely perfect for my puttting stroke.  

The reason I keep coming back to the Spider X is because it does work great.  It is so stable.  The alignment fits my eye.  It is the first insert putter I can control distance with (could never control distance with a few Odyssey experiments).  I added the 12g weights and it is a fantastic upgrade.  The added head weigh is perfect for me and the added MOI doesn’t hurt.  

I’m still keeping my SC Special Select Newport 2 in the basement, but honestly; I don’t see it going back in the bag any time soon.  I am a Spider X convert.  

• Like 2

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

I bought one last year after messing with my brothers and thinking it felt and looked good. After playing with it for 2 months i just couldnt make consistent strokes with it on 5 footers and in... i could seem to line it up well but then would push or pull the putt and not only that but blast it by. Some greens also gave me issues with again blasting it by. I felt the distance control for me wasnt there. Judging by this you would think im a terrible putter but its quite the opposite. With the right putter in my hands i 3 putt maybe 2 or 3 times a round and make alot of putts i should and a few that i probably shouldnt. All this being said i really wanted to love the spider because i loved the look and the feel off the face... i even made some putts that were really nice but i just couldnt keep killing my scores with it. I have 2 blades and 1 mallet that i love to death and putt like a champion with. I realize these just cant be replaced.

• Like 1

I’ve had two rounds with mine but it’s on the verge of being benched. I’ve played milled blade putters for the last 18 months and a milled fastback for several years prior. I’ve made some good putts with the spider but it’s the lag putts I’m struggling with - they all seem to pull up short or, if I give it a little more as our greens are slow currently, it blast past the hole.

I may give it one more round today, but at the moment the confidence in it is going and I’m a good putter with my stats normally around the 30 putt mark. I was hoping the spider would push me back into the 27/28 I’ve had before but at the moment it’s making me uneasy on the greens.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

9 hours ago, goaliedad30 said:

My observations:

As always, YMMV ....

That's funny. I bought my wife a Spider Tour - tried it and putted lights out. Kept trying to find a duplicate but couldn't capture the magic.

I just picked up a Stroke Lab Ten for this year. Carpet trials have been promising.

• Like 1

I switched from a SC newport to a Spider x single bend. I enjoyed the forgiveness at first and the stability allows me to make more putts in the short range, but I just don't drain as many from outside 8 feet. I am switching back to Scotty, but going Del Mar this time. i got fitted and the toe hang + milled face just works better for me. Less mechanical, more feel. Spiders are great, just not for me personally. 

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

Best putter out there.  I have a mySpiderX.  My Anser style custom putter sits in the corner at home.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

i find it funny how people try to rationalize, or use science to describe putting when we all know putting is like black magic.  a putter will work till it doesn't work. simple as that,

there is no better putter for "x" arc, ball type, greens, moi, roll face technology and all that other kool aid they feed you.  you really think that if one putter was definitively better that all pros wouldn't be gaming it?

• Like 1

I've been a long time reader of this forum and finally decided to post because of this topic.

For years I rolled an Odyssey Rossie Works and I was a pretty solid putter.  About 3 years ago, my clubs fell out of a bag drop and one of my irons dented the face of my putter.  It was so bad it couldn't be repaired.

I couldn't find a replacement Rossie that was in good enough condition to purchase, so my hunt for a new putter began.  Over the next 5-6 month period I went through a crazy number of putters.  I tried some of everything.  Milled, insert, face balanced, slight toe hang, max toe hang, blade, mallet, Scotty, Ping, Evenroll, Toulon, etc.  You name it, I probably spent some significant time with it on a practice green and during these 5-6 months I purchased and bagged 6-7 putters that I felt were working well for me in a try out.  For whatever reason, I couldn't get anything to be consistent in real play on the course.

At some point, I came to the conclusion that if so many players are using Spiders on tour, it must be a sign they freaking work.  This was right around the time the Spider X came out, so I bought one.  And when I bought it, I told myself I am giving this thing 3 months in my bag no matter what before I draw any conclusions.  BTW, I have always used face balanced putters, so my Spider X was the single bend.

I also built an indoor putting green in my house.  Not a Big Moss mat or a Birdieball, a more realistic 12 foot long putting green with real recessed cups, flag sticks, and the best turf money can buy (Starpro MPT).

The Spider X has been in my bag ever sense.  Best putter I've ever owned, hands down.  I was a solid putter before but now I've become that guy you don't want as your opponent standing over a 6-10 footer with money on the line.

Now let me add to this.  Is my putting all about the Spider X?  No, it's not.  Throughout the past 2+ years since I got my Spider X and indoor putting green, I've become a much better putter period.  In addition to my Spider X, I have tinkered around with another 10 or so putters along the way at home in conjunction with my Spider X.  I've also invested lots of time in trying different lengths, using putting mirrors/gates, and have spent well over $1,000 on putter grips alone to find the grips that work best for me.

I also did a putter session at Club Champion on the SAM Putt Lab.  What I learned was not what I expected going in.  My consistency in all areas, including squaring the face at contact was nearly pro level, but I was putting across the face like Billy Mayfair (i.e. outside-in).  After this, I ended up spending a few months re-grooving my stroke into a slight arc.

Right now I have 3 putters.  I ended up selling my original Spider X and ordering a custom one from TM because I found a non-stock length of 33.5 inches is better for me.  I also have a custom Scotty blade with max toe hang because I have found that dedicating some of my practice time to using a putter with toe hang seems to help me keep that slight arc in a good groove.  My custom Spider X is still single bend face balanced and it works great with a slight arc.  I don't believe anyone has a true "straight back - straight through " putting stroke.  It's just physically near impossible to have.  I also don't believe toe hang is necessary for anyone regardless of how much arc is in your stroke.

I also just picked up an Odyssey OG Rossie with the Stroke Lab shaft because I was curious.  I hated the Stroke Lab shaft for about the first 50 putts but once I got a feel for it, I love it.

I also still go to my local golf stores and tinker with different putters on their test areas just for fun.  I make lots of putts regardless of which putter I am using, but some definitely feel much better to me than others.

So what is the moral of this story?  In my almost 3 year quest of putters and putting, I believe I have come the following conclusions:

1.  A player who is a good putter with a good stroke can use any putter with success but will feel more comfortable with some styles over others.  A player who is not a good putter may have short-term success with a new stick but ultimately won't like it when things go south (and they will).  Become a better putter and the stick means a lot less.

2.  Grip is VERY important.  I putt much better with thinner non-pistol grips such as the Tour SNSR Straight (blue) 104cc and Super Stroke Tour 1.0.

3.  Adequate practice time and grooving your stroke is 1000% times more important than the putter you are using.

4.  I can putt just fine with either a face balanced putter or one with lots of toe hang.  But there is a drop off for me when I use something in between with slight or medium toe hang.

5.  The Spider X is still the most consistent putter for me and it's not even close.

Edited by abenjami
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, abenjami said:

I've been a long time reader of this forum and finally decided to post because of this topic.

For years I rolled an Odyssey Rossie Works and I was a pretty solid putter.  About 3 years ago, my clubs fell out of a bag drop and one of my irons dented the face of my putter.  It was so bad it couldn't be repaired.

I couldn't find a replacement Rossie that was in good enough condition to purchase, so my hunt for a new putter began.  Over the next 5-6 month period I went through a crazy number of putters.  I tried some of everything.  Milled, insert, face balanced, slight toe hang, max toe hang, blade, mallet, Scotty, Ping, Evenroll, Toulon, etc.  You name it, I probably spent some significant time with it on a practice green and during these 5-6 months I purchased and bagged 6-7 putters that I felt were working well for me in a try out.  For whatever reason, I couldn't get anything to be consistent in real play on the course.

At some point, I came to the conclusion that if so many players are using Spiders on tour, it must be a sign they freaking work.  This was right around the time the Spider X came out, so I bought one.  And when I bought it, I told myself I am giving this thing 3 months in my bag no matter what before I draw any conclusions.  BTW, I have always used face balanced putters, so my Spider X was the single bend.

I also built an indoor putting green in my house.  Not a Big Moss mat or a Birdieball, a more realistic 12 foot long putting green with real recessed cups, flag sticks, and the best turf money can buy (Starpro MPT).

The Spider X has been in my bag ever sense.  Best putter I've ever owned, hands down.  I was a solid putter before but now I've become that guy you don't want as your opponent standing over a 6-10 footer with money on the line.

Now let me add to this.  Is my putting all about the Spider X?  No, it's not.  Throughout the past 2+ years since I got my Spider X and indoor putting green, I've become a much better putter period.  In addition to my Spider X, I have tinkered around with another 10 or so putters along the way at home in conjunction with my Spider X.  I've also invested lots of time in trying different lengths, using putting mirrors/gates, and have spent well over $1,000 on putter grips alone to find the grips that work best for me.

I also did a putter session at Club Champion on the SAM Putt Lab.  What I learned was not what I expected going in.  My consistency in all areas, including squaring the face at contact was nearly pro level, but I was putting across the face like Billy Mayfair (i.e. outside-in).  After this, I ended up spending a few months re-grooving my stroke into a slight arc.

Right now I have 3 putters.  I ended up selling my original Spider X and ordering a custom one from TM because I found a non-stock length of 33.5 inches is better for me.  I also have a custom Scotty blade with max toe hang because I have found that dedicating some of my practice time to using a putter with toe hang seems to help me keep that slight arc in a good groove.  My custom Spider X is still single bend face balanced and it works great with a slight arc.  I don't believe anyone has a true "straight back - straight through " putting stroke.  It's just physically near impossible to have.  I also don't believe toe hang is necessary for anyone regardless of how much arc is in your stroke.

I also just picked up an Odyssey OG Rossie with the Stroke Lab shaft because I was curious.  I hated the Stroke Lab shaft for about the first 50 putts but once I got a feel for it, I love it.

I also still go to my local golf stores and tinker with different putters on their test areas just for fun.  I make lots of putts regardless of which putter I am using, but some definitely feel much better to me than others.

So what is the moral of this story?  In my almost 3 year quest of putters and putting, I believe I have come the following conclusions:

1.  A player who is a good putter with a good stroke can use any putter with success but will feel more comfortable with some styles over others.  A player who is not a good putter may have short-term success with a new stick but ultimately won't like it when things go south (and they will).  Become a better putter and the stick means a lot less.

2.  Grip is VERY important.  I putt much better with thinner non-pistol grips such as the Tour SNSR Straight (blue) 104cc and Super Stroke Tour 1.0.

3.  Adequate practice time and grooving your stroke is 1000% times more important than the putter you are using.

4.  I can putt just fine with either a face balanced putter or one with lots of toe hang.  But there is a drop off for me when I use something in between with slight or medium toe hang.

5.  The Spider X is still the most consistent putter for me and it's not even close.

Welcome to the forums! That was a fantastic first post. Glad my topic made you take the leap. Thanks for your contributions. 

Looks like I may need to get a Slider X and get to practicing. 

• Like 1

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

My insights refer more to insert mallets in general, but might still be interesting for you. I love blade putters for the looks, but forgiveness is absolutely a thing at my level. 

My local shop lent me a Spider X Single Bend for 5-6 rounds. I loved the hot face, the consistency on lag putts and the immediate roll the insert put on the ball. 

Couldn’t get over the looks, so I moved to an equally forgiving mallet which looks better to me, the Odyssey Exo Seven.

First observation: it’s very hard to judge the distance on long range putts vs. the Spider. Short putts, the Odyssey is equally springy/reactive, but it’s far too tame from longer distances. But it sounds better and feels smoother. 

With both of them, I feel invincible over 5 footers. I know the ball is gonna go where I aimed it, and off-center hits still go the distance.

Judging tricky downhillers is just natural to me with a large head mallet. 

Lastly, the alignment decal on the Spider X is very well done. I think it’s more effective than the 2-ball, which was a breakthrough back in the day. 
The only one that’s even better is the Triple Track with the matching ball. Foolproof. 
I can’t imagine using the blacked out Spider like DJ, I need alignment lines. 

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

CS face balanced here built with 12gram rear weights and a 10gram tip weight. 

Really does well for hitting lines and speed control is very forgiving. I go back to it when I need a re-boot from my Machine blade. Love the smallish profile for a mallet. 

607448B7-DD50-4AD9-81D0-EB5BF68AE514.jpeg

EFB52159-8D47-4371-8EAD-1C0614A95614.jpeg

9DE51390-427A-4EFC-9025-6D56B4693203.jpeg

CE39CE3B-74A0-4970-8FCC-1F72908D8FC2.jpeg

• Like 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

17 minutes ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Lastly, the alignment decal on the Spider X is very well done. I think it’s more effective than the 2-ball, which was a breakthrough back in the day. 
The only one that’s even better is the Triple Track with the matching ball. Foolproof. 
I can’t imagine using the blacked out Spider like DJ, I need alignment lines. 

I totally agree with this.  The alignment "path" on the Spider X is great.  It really helps frame the ball at setup and it is essentially 3 lines (the 2 outside borders plus the alignment line down center).  It was Triple Track before Triple Track existed.

Odyssey talks about how Triple Track is 3 lines but look closer at it.  Triple Track is a "path" with 3 lines in it.  It's essentially really 5 lines (2 outside borders and 3 inside lines).

I have spent some time with the Odyssey Ten.  It's pretty much a Spider X clone.  I can't tell much of a difference between them, they feel very similar.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, abenjami said:

I have spent some time with the Odyssey Ten.  It's pretty much a Spider X clone.  I can't tell much of a difference between them, they feel very similar.

Is it though? I thought the inserts feel very different, with the TM Pure Roll being much firmer. But the Microhinge Star is a little firmer than the original MH in the Exo putters, so they realized that. 

I would love to have an Exo Seven with the OG White Hot insert (like the one Kevin Kisner is using), but that’s Tour only, unfortunately. The Exo design is great with the perimeter weighted heads, and the classic #7 look. The Spider looks too cartoonish to me, for lack of a better word. But it sure performs, I loved it!

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

4 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Is it though? I thought the inserts feel very different, with the TM Pure Roll being much firmer. But the Microhinge Star is a little firmer than the original MH in the Exo putters, so they realized that. 

I would love to have an Exo Seven with the OG White Hot insert (like the one Kevin Kisner is using), but that’s Tour only, unfortunately. The Exo design is great with the perimeter weighted heads, and the classic #7 look. The Spider looks too cartoonish to me, for lack of a better word. But it sure performs, I loved it!

You're right, the inserts definitely have a different feel to them.  I should have been more clear that I was referring to the feel of the putter in my hands, alignment, how it swings, stability, etc.

Most of the putters available today are reasonably high-tech and good performers.  I can putt quite well with a blade or a mallet so it just comes down to preferences and which type of putter seems to give you more confidence. Or the ability to make one more putt.

I have leaned back towards blades... I seem to be able to start the blade on chosen target line a little more accurately.

I have a slight arc,  on the shorter putts the mallet seems to turn over just a little bit more once that big wide mass starts the toe releasing or turning over, it seems like I burn the left edge of the hole on a four footers I missed too many short putts with mallets like the tailor-made spider.. I am able to hold the blade square better or more consistently and make my shorter putts.  I like all the alignment tools on the the mallets seems easy to line the putter up accurately at your target.  The other thing that has been bothering me when I do a forward press you do not really notice anything with the blade but if you forward press a mallet you see the rear of the blade lift up feels like way too much movement of the alignment marks.   They are both very equal high performers, so it comes down to your personal preference, you have to try it to see if it fits with your personality and stroke.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, abenjami said:

I would add the ball type as well....... so important how each ball comes off the face so differently, if you use two or three different types of balls I do not think you can become a really good putter, you have to stick with one ball. Once you practice as deeply as you have that subtlety shows its importance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronWolf said:

I would add the ball type as well....... so important how each ball comes off the face so differently, if you use two or three different types of balls I do not think you can become a really good putter, you have to stick with one ball. Once you practice as deeply as you have that subtlety shows its importance.

I have found that is more true (for me) when it comes to distance as opposed to alignment.  I can still putt straight with many different balls but anything outside of 6-8 feet throws me off distance wise with a ball I'm not familiar with.

I definitely agree you have to stick with one ball, or at least a small number of balls that have a similar feel and that you have spent lots of time on the practice green with.  I have gone back and forth between V1's and V1x's without much difference but for whatever reason I have more confidence putting with the V1's.  It's an endless struggle for me though between those two balls because my ball flight is better elsewhere on the course with a V1x.

I'm also fairly comfortable putting with an AVX or even the Titleist Tour Soft/Speed models to some degree.  But put a Chrome Soft or a Vice in front of my putter from 15 feet out and I have no idea how hard to hit that.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 9:39 PM, Hammer22 said:

Put one in my bag last season and my putting has never been better. Liked it so much I bought a second one to practice with in my living room. Not leaving my bag any time soon. Still looks good as new, too.

I am very close to making this same decision.  I keep my bag at my club, but I like the Spider X so much that I am considering a second to practice putting at home.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S

Callaway Paradym 16.5* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70S

Titleist 915F 21* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Ping G410 Hybrid 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Golo S5

Bridgestone Tour BX