2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Toulon 2022?

drscott266

Got to roll some with the new '22 toulon Vegas today. 

Feel felt pretty much identical to the previous gen. Love the darker finish. The sole of the putter looks really good. Kinda wish they would have blacked out the top a little more but it's still my favorite model . Probably will be my bday present next month for myself. 

Hey guys so I recently made the switch from my Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 (2021) to the new Toulon Las Vegas DB. So far I will say I've been happy with the new Toulon but there has been some quality control issues. I bought it from the golf shop here and the first one off the rack were some excess glue around the insertion point and the loft was at 4 which is 1 degree off of standard OEM spec of 3 degrees. When the fitter tried to bend it back he scratched the bottom of the sole so the shop gave me a new one but.. when I took it to get checked by my normal fitter the lie was 73 (Standard 70), the loft was at 6 degrees, the stroke lab shaft was on slightly crooked, and the weight for some reason was a few grams heavier. Finally I returned it for a 3rd one SMH and so far things seem to be much better in order with no defects other than it being 4 degrees loft instead of 3. Which I took to get bent to 3 degrees. I have seen other reviews from others facing some of the same quality control issues when it came to the length. It's a shame for Odyssey Toulon, their highest end putter line to have a lot of these issues. Is anyone else having or experienced this with theirs?? I would highly recommend you taking it to a proper fitter to get it spec checked.

Just frustrating as a consumer and paying such a high price tag for a premium product that it would happen this often, or maybe just really bad luck on my end. But it almost made me seriously think about returning it and considering a Bettinardi as it seems their attention to detail and precision is much more on point.

All that being said so far my experience with this Toulon compared to my Scotty is... I definitely prefer the sound and feel off the face with my Scotty. And also feel like my distance control is better with the Scotty. BUT, the forward roll is better with the Toulon. I think it might be because of the new weight ports added to this years Toulon right near the face. I got the weight kit and changed the stock 10g head weights for the 20g head weights for a heavier feel and swing weight. Before it was D3.6 and now E1. This is one of the reason why I considered this years Toulon to others in the past. The Toulon is a bit softer and much more muted sound compared to the Scotty. The head of the Las Vegas is also much shorter heal to toe than the x5.5 (also more compact overall) and I like the added sight lines on the Las Vegas which helps frame and line up better. I think for me on the shorter putts (8ft and in) the Toulon is more accurate for me and is why I will keep it in the bag awhile longer and try and adjust to the sound/feel/distance control of it. Also, I tried the face balanced this time as opposed to the slant neck(slight toe hang). I like the way slant neck putters lay at address better but I tend to try and putt more straight back straight thru on my shorter putts with minimum arc so I think the DB Las Vegas is better for me with the shorter putts.

7 hours ago, CasualLie said:

Is the Las Vegas head the same size as Odyssey 7?  Or is it more compact like 7 nano?

More compact, the shapes are slightly different as well. The Las Vegas toe to heel length is similar but the blade part width is thinner and the fangs/sight lines sit a bit different. The normal 7 or nano 7 sit a bit flatter as the Las Vegas has a very slight curve at the edges but more sharper clean lines. Also the pocket/plate that sits behind the top line is square cut in the Toulon where the 7 is half circle/curve cut out. The Las Vegas looks cleaner/better at address in my opinion where the 7 is a bit plain/boring looking at address. Just my opinion from comparison observations, everyone has different taste.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K-Hook said:

Hey guys so I recently made the switch from my Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 (2021) to the new Toulon Las Vegas DB. So far I will say I've been happy with the new Toulon but there has been some quality control issues. I bought it from the golf shop here and the first one off the rack were some excess glue around the insertion point and the loft was at 4 which is 1 degree off of standard OEM spec of 3 degrees. When the fitter tried to bend it back he scratched the bottom of the sole so the shop gave me a new one but.. when I took it to get checked by my normal fitter the lie was 73 (Standard 70), the loft was at 6 degrees, the stroke lab shaft was on slightly crooked, and the weight for some reason was a few grams heavier. Finally I returned it for a 3rd one SMH and so far things seem to be much better in order with no defects other than it being 4 degrees loft instead of 3. Which I took to get bent to 3 degrees. I have seen other reviews from others facing some of the same quality control issues when it came to the length. It's a shame for Odyssey Toulon, their highest end putter line to have a lot of these issues. Is anyone else having or experienced this with theirs?? I would highly recommend you taking it to a proper fitter to get it spec checked.

Just frustrating as a consumer and paying such a high price tag for a premium product that it would happen this often, or maybe just really bad luck on my end. But it almost made me seriously think about returning it and considering a Bettinardi as it seems their attention to detail and precision is much more on point.

All that being said so far my experience with this Toulon compared to my Scotty is... I definitely prefer the sound and feel off the face with my Scotty. And also feel like my distance control is better with the Scotty. BUT, the forward roll is better with the Toulon. I think it might be because of the new weight ports added to this years Toulon right near the face. I got the weight kit and changed the stock 10g head weights for the 20g head weights for a heavier feel and swing weight. Before it was D3.6 and now E1. This is one of the reason why I considered this years Toulon to others in the past. The Toulon is a bit softer and much more muted sound compared to the Scotty. The head of the Las Vegas is also much shorter heal to toe than the x5.5 (also more compact overall) and I like the added sight lines on the Las Vegas which helps frame and line up better. I think for me on the shorter putts (8ft and in) the Toulon is more accurate for me and is why I will keep it in the bag awhile longer and try and adjust to the sound/feel/distance control of it. Also, I tried the face balanced this time as opposed to the slant neck(slight toe hang). I like the way slant neck putters lay at address better but I tend to try and putt more straight back straight thru on my shorter putts with minimum arc so I think the DB Las Vegas is better for me with the shorter putts.

Could you tell us how you were able to get a weight kit for the 2022 putters?  I don't see any options to purchase online except for the occasional EB item for approx. $200.

7 minutes ago, Rob Demo said:

Could you tell us how you were able to get a weight kit for the 2022 putters?  I don't see any options to purchase online except for the occasional EB item for approx. $200.

They just had them in the Transview golf shop I got the putter at. It was like $100 but I’m also here in Bangkok, Thailand. But they were the only shop here in Thailand that carried them as well, really difficult to find also as from what I’ve seen very scarce and only the actual callaway distributors are getting them. They only had 2 weight kits available. Comes with 5, 10, 15, 20g weights. Wish they also included 25g. 

585AA3A7-DAC5-4FE2-8273-454ADB05C972.jpeg

On 3/18/2022 at 3:27 AM, drscott266 said:

So I’ve messed around with older Toulon Vegas and my new one a bit more indoors and outdoors. The feel that I initially was turned off by, is something I’ve come to notice as improved feedback. On my older style I could hit it anywhere on the face almost and it felt similar, the new models you know when you center it. One thing I can say that is noticeably improved is the forgiveness due to the new weighting. The old model was really point and shoot already, but the new one just wants to keep its line no matter if you toe it or heel it. Very nice improvement there, the feel is just different and more distinct which I imagine was a result of player feedback. The new model looks the same from address but definitely packs some added stability.  Feel may be subjective to each person, and neck configuration makes a huge difference I’ve learned. The new models are worth a roll for sure, if you are coming from an older model you might notice more precise impact feedback. 

Might also feel a bit different due to this years upgraded stroke lab shaft which the graphite portion goes down longer towards the head and is also stiffer. The face milling is slightly different also. And I heard the forward roll is better with the changeable weights being moved up front near the face rather than the weight plates in the center. Did you find that to be the case with the roll?

2 hours ago, K-Hook said:

Might also feel a bit different due to this years upgraded stroke lab shaft which the graphite portion goes down longer towards the head and is also stiffer. The face milling is slightly different also. And I heard the forward roll is better with the changeable weights being moved up front near the face rather than the weight plates in the center. Did you find that to be the case with the roll?

I definitely found it more forigiving with the split weights, but can't tell with just my eyes if its rolling better.  I have started to come around to the new feel, it is just as soft if you pure it but the slight toe or heel will be harsher than older model.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What an absolute beaut of a putter - the way this thing shimmers in the sunlight is something special (tried to capture a bit of it in the second photo). Head is definitely more compact than my Stroke Lab 7s, feel is buttery soft with enough feedback not to feel like mush (with a ProV1). Callaway shipping was lightning fast (~2 weeks from order to doorstep, including custom SS grip). 

AEE14E3A-2AD2-4D89-87AA-138426FEBB95_1_105_c.jpeg.d1e26f0d0d92024743f04c4651c3064f.jpegA4900E64-A0E7-4E02-966D-530C9414FD0F_1_105_c.jpeg.8f3a123c49463216f6601850cc1a471b.jpeg524227B2-2C19-4B13-9912-254872F317E2_1_105_c.jpeg.d2af650599c73e27b3284d1d7807615b.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OverdoseofSatisfaction said:

Ordered a Las Vergas from the Garage on April 7 and it was delivered April 25 with the free next day air shipping.

Tour Mist, 2 degrees up, H7, 20 gram weights (385g?), 32.75"

Picked up a used LV on here last summer.  Wanted to customize something and the garage offers a variety of options with a more than reasonable production time.  When compared to the prior version, I would agree with the previous comments that it feels a little softer with greater feedback on mishit putts.  

IMG_E5715.JPG.c3fb6e53ddc75c5643186d0ca78b1b0b.JPG

IMG_5714.JPG.9a56cce37225edd912299ab8860ba535.JPGIMG_5713.JPG.4b501e00e74ef2de329a696e9c8fce2f.JPG

Love that finish, wish the retail models were done this way instead.  Love the sight dot instead of the line as well. 

17 hours ago, Misc1600 said:

Where are Toulon's made? Are they like the Ping PLD where retail heads made in China and custom/garage are made in the US? 

Not sure where the actual parts are manufactured, but my box had a sticker stating "assembled in Mexico." Custom order placed thru Callaway website. Curious to hear if anyone has substantive evidence of quality control differences based on where their particular clubs were made / assembled.

1 hour ago, pb_n_joe said:

Not sure where the actual parts are manufactured, but my box had a sticker stating "assembled in Mexico." Custom order placed thru Callaway website. Curious to hear if anyone has substantive evidence of quality control differences based on where their particular clubs were made / assembled.

Callaway's non-tour assembly warehouse is in Mexico, yes. Everything from Odyssey to Callaway gets assembled and built there.

Most components are made in China/Vietnam/Japan. I would bet Toulon heads are milled in one of those places as well.

In the case of China specifically they can make you whatever you want to whatever specs you want if you want to foot the bill for it. If Toulon is having a company in China mill their heads and specifies the metallurgy and tolerances - it can be a product that it equal or better than 'Made in the USA'.

• Like 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

• 3 weeks later...

So when I initially got my 2022 Toulon Las Vegas(34') and the weight kit I switched right away to the 20g head weights over the stock 10g as I like a heavier feeling putter like my Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5 which I also changed the head weights from stock 15g to 20g. The Las Vegas Stock swing weight was about D3/4 and with the 20g head weights moved it to E0. But after about 3 weeks and like 6 rounds with it I noticed my distance control wasn't as good. So I decided to change the weights on the Toulon down to the 15g head weights to see if made a difference. I must say while it feels a bit lighter and now a swing weight of D6 which is lighter than what I've used in the past, with this set up my pace/distance control was a lot better. To me personally I think it's more the combination of the lighter stroke lab (counter balance) shaft as opposed to my Scotty or other putters steel shafts so it didn't require as heavier head weights. Just my experience and feeling.

I was also able to go to the PING fitting studio where they had Quintec and tried both my X5.5 and Las Vegas and just from my observations I was correct after quintec that for me the Toulon had a better forward roll for me than the 5.5 which was pretty cool and don't have to second guess myself now on which one to keep in the bag as my current gamer

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 6:05 PM, K-Hook said:

They just had them in the Transview golf shop I got the putter at. It was like $100 but I’m also here in Bangkok, Thailand. But they were the only shop here in Thailand that carried them as well, really difficult to find also as from what I’ve seen very scarce and only the actual callaway distributors are getting them. They only had 2 weight kits available. Comes with 5, 10, 15, 20g weights. Wish they also included 25g. 

585AA3A7-DAC5-4FE2-8273-454ADB05C972.jpeg

How much was the weight kit mate...........I'm in Phuket and just bought a new Toulon San Diego from Transview 🙂 

On 4/11/2022 at 10:04 AM, OverdoseofSatisfaction said:

Ordered a Las Vegas through the Garage... just wondering if they are hitting the 2-3 week production time indicated on the site.

I'm interested in this also. I placed an order for a Madison about two weeks ago, but no updates yet.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

6 hours ago, ndwgolf said:

How much was the weight kit mate...........I'm in Phuket and just bought a new Toulon San Diego from Transview 🙂 

I got mine for 3,000 baht as I knew a staff at Transview. The normal price is 4,000 thb. I saw they are also selling them at emporium and other shopping malls here now also.

Finally got my shipping notification and it should be here next week.

The 3 weeks for a Garage model is pretty accurate.

I'll post pictures when my Madison arrives.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

• 1 month later...

Ordered my slant neck Las Vegas this afternoon, as well as the 10g weights that are now available on the Odyssey site so I can get the head weight down to 355g. Looking forward to the putter coming in!

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

• 1 month later...

Gamed my Toulon Portland for the first time today.  It's an older model that has a stepless non-stroke lab shaft.

The putter sets up so well to my eye and is perhaps the best feeling putter I have played.  On par with 90s Scotty Camerons.

My initial impression are just really really good.  Haven't been this excited about a club in a while.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

I love the Toulon putters but I wish they still offered different neck options in the Austin and Madison. 

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

1 hour ago, benboyer1 said:

Anybody have any reviews or updates on how they like their Daytona Beach slant neck? 

I have it in DB and it is super solid. Daytona Beach seems to have tremendous forgiveness too. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x