PXG Gen 4 0811x Driver

jgolfin

33 minutes ago, jgolfin said:

Just curious what others weight set up is in the driver.   Thinking of getting the weight kit to add weight to the head. 

I use the stock 17.5 in front and 2.5’s at 45.25. Works perfect. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I just ordered a 0811x Gen4 today as they just lowered the Heroe’s pricing on it to $289.  I ordered the two weight kit for it, a 15 and 7.5 so that I can play around with it when it arrives. I’m currently playing a Gen1 0811x that was a freebie when I ordered my 0211 irons a couple years back and am looking forward to some improvements with the new driver!

• Like 3

I ordered mine at 45" instead of 45.5".  It came stock with 12.5 in the front and two 2.5's.  I bought a 15, 7.5, and a 5 to tinker with.  I ended up putting the 15 in the front and that is my best flight.  That increased the launch tremendously and reduced spin for me.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

3 hours ago, Dannyboy44 said:

Thanks! Just called and they credited my card the difference from what I paid. 

I just did the same. I took store credit and ordered a Proto 5 wood for $1 haha

• Like 3

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

After playing with the driver on my SkyTrak, I’m liking 12.5 front, 10 heel, 2.5 rear. I ordered the club 1/2” short at 45”. 

I’ll probably leave it like that for my round on Friday. 

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Hurley77 said:

Never hit or even seen a pxg driver in person...

With the sale, im thinking of trying a driver, fairway, and hybrid. How does the 0811 x compare with a g410 plus in terms of forgiveness/spin? Any insight appreciated

I don’t have a lot of experience with the G410, but have hit it in the store a few times. I would say the 0811x is closer to the LST than the standard G410 or maybe in between the two. Last year I had to get fit for a shaft and the fitter thought the G410 LST was the driver I should get, but it wasn’t that much better than the TS2 with the same shaft (VA Composites Slay) and not worth spending the money on.  I have been playing a Titleist TS2 for the past few years and took a flier on the 0811x based on reviews and recommendations on here.

I’ve now had a chance to play it a few times at my home course and it’s 10/15 yds longer than my TS2 setup. I don’t have that high spinny miss that I have with the TS2.

• Like 4

They will have to pry my Gen4 X out of my cold dead hands.  I am sure part of it is the Ventus Blue, but the combo is the best combo I have ever gamed and it isn't even close.  My driving is a million times better than it ever has been.

• Like 4

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I tend to agree with Lefty. Played G410 plus most of last year, stock CB Alta Red, 9 degree. Weight (14 grams in heel/draw setting). Now, I Have a 0811x head (but my main gamer is an 0811 XF). I play the CB Riptide 5.5 in both. The x has a deeper face, plus the ability to put a heavier weight in the front. My miss is lateral on the face so the XF just works better. X with the right shaft can be a low spin bomber. 

But the X is plenty forgiving and, to me, just feels and sounds better than the Ping, if that matters. 

as Hstead says, the 0811 is one of the better drivers for the price, especially if one of the stock shaft works. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hurley77 said:

Appreciate the info. I'm thinking I'll give the 0811 x a try. Just trying to decide which stock shaft.... Playing the tour 65 in my g410 and head set at 10*

There aren’t a lot of options. I went with the Diamana black stock option and it’s good. I knew the Riptide wouldn’t be a good fit and don’t really like the HZRDUS Yellow. I do well with mid/mid to mid/low shafts.

I swing at about 105 mph with a decent tempo and a hard move at the ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hstead said:

They will have to pry my Gen4 X out of my cold dead hands.  I am sure part of it is the Ventus Blue, but the combo is the best combo I have ever gamed and it isn't even close.  My driving is a million times better than it ever has been.

Same here, driving was always just so so for me. Got the Proto and fitted shaft (Ventus Blue) and it was really good. Then got the Gen4 0811x and put a Hzrdus Smoke Green in it and WOW, driving game went from so so to now a WEAPON in my bag.  No chance this driver leaves my bag. 

• Like 3

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

Anyone gaming an X or XT with an AD DI or the Diamana 60? I gamed the Diamana 60x in the prior gen SIM and had great results with it. Seeing really nice ball flight with my Proto 0341x woods. Tempted to pick up a Gen 4 driver at this price. 

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...

Got fitted for the 0811 X Gen 4 last night in 10.5 with the Diamana S+ with the 12.5 in the front and 2.5's in heel & back. Driver at 45".

I hit a fade and one of my main misses is the high spinny one that floats further offline to the right. I've always wanted forgiveness-forgiveness-forgiveness in my clubs but I'm now understanding that I'm a good candidate for a low spin setup because of my shot shape and neutral angle of attack. My previous gamer had a few at 2600-2800 and a few at 3100-3300, averaging around 3000.

Because old ideas die hard, I'm sitting here this morning wondering if I should buy a weight kit so I can try putting more weight in the back (for forgiveness). Please talk me off the ledge and tell me I don't need it :). FWIW, I'm a pretty good ball striker (rarely lose balls), 4-5 hcp, and I don't think I hit one drive in my fitting last night with less than 2150 spin, swinging right around 100mph. Thoughts?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

Got fitted for the 0811 X Gen 4 last night in 10.5 with the Diamana S+ with the 12.5 in the front and 2.5's in heel & back. Driver at 45".

I hit a fade and one of my main misses is the high spinny one that floats further offline to the right. I've always wanted forgiveness-forgiveness-forgiveness in my clubs but I'm now understanding that I'm a good candidate for a low spin setup because of my shot shape and neutral angle of attack. My previous gamer had a few at 2600-2800 and a few at 3100-3300, averaging around 3000.

Because old ideas die hard, I'm sitting here this morning wondering if I should buy a weight kit so I can try putting more weight in the back (for forgiveness). Please talk me off the ledge and tell me I don't need it :). FWIW, I'm a pretty good ball striker (rarely lose balls), 4-5 hcp, and I don't think I hit one drive in my fitting last night with less than 2150 spin, swinging right around 100mph. Thoughts?

What's the harm in getting the weight kit? Sounds like you got it dialed in pretty well though. 

1 hour ago, Scootre said:

What's the harm in getting the weight kit? Sounds like you got it dialed in pretty well though. 

Don’t mess with fitting settings. Just speaking from experience. Lol

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

58 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Don’t mess with fitting settings. Just speaking from experience. Lol

Thanks Osprey. I see in this thread about 2 months ago you said you have the 17.5 gr weight in the front. Are you still playing it that way? Do you feel the Gen 4 0811 x is still pretty forgiving even with the weight forward? 

10 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

Thanks Osprey. I see in this thread about 2 months ago you said you have the 17.5 gr weight in the front. Are you still playing it that way? Do you feel the Gen 4 0811 x is still pretty forgiving even with the weight forward? 

I cut mine down to 44.75” and now have a 20 gram in the front. The X is so forgiving even with all the weight in the front. Most forgiving low spin head I have tried. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

4 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

I cut mine down to 44.75” and now have a 20 gram in the front. The X is so forgiving even with all the weight in the front. Most forgiving low spin head I have tried. 

Well, just got home from a driver shaft fitting at my local PXG store here in Mesa AZ. I was fit into the Ventus Back 6s. Amazing shaft and combo’d perfect with my X head. Really good price thru them too. Hope to get it in a few days. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

32 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Well, just got home from a driver shaft fitting at my local PXG store here in Mesa AZ. I was fit into the Ventus Back 6s. Amazing shaft and combo’d perfect with my X head. Really good price thru them too. Hope to get it in a few days. 

Bomber incoming! Welcome to the Velocore family brother…you are going to love her 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to give my thoughts on this driver since I haven’t seen a lot of people who actually own it commenting on these review sites. This driver is absolutely unreal.

I previously played the Gen 2 PXG 0811XF driver and found it to be extremely forgiving and good from a “strokes gained” perspective, but it sounded weird (hollow and like a metal baseball bat) and I definitely felt like I lost distance coming from the Cobra F9. This Gen 4 driver has corrected the two issues I had with Gen 2 (sound and distance) in a big, big way. I have a pretty average swing speed in the 97-103 range depending on the day and how hard I try to hit it and was typically seeing total distance around 265 with my Gen 2 driver.

I recently got fitted for the Gen 4, and went from 265 total distance with 3,300 spin (in the Gen 2 driver), to 267 CARRY with 2,200 spin in the Gen 4 (moving the weights around in the head made a HUGE difference to the spin).

The PXG fitter was extremely knowledgable, tried a multitude of different shafts, lengths and weight setups until we got it right. I think the fit had as much to do with the gains as the upgrade itself, but the ball speed increases were undeniable.

This Gen 4 driver is fast and every bit as good as anything else on the market. The people I’ve seen talking bad about it online 90% of the time don’t own it and just hate the brand. Definitely worth a try, but GET FITTED–easily the best $50 I’ve ever spent to get the fit right.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DMad said:

Wanted to give my thoughts on this driver since I haven’t seen a lot of people who actually own it commenting on these review sites. This driver is absolutely unreal.

I previously played the Gen 2 PXG 0811XF driver and found it to be extremely forgiving and good from a “strokes gained” perspective, but it sounded weird (hollow and like a metal baseball bat) and I definitely felt like I lost distance coming from the Cobra F9. This Gen 4 driver has corrected the two issues I had with Gen 2 (sound and distance) in a big, big way. I have a pretty average swing speed in the 97-103 range depending on the day and how hard I try to hit it and was typically seeing total distance around 265 with my Gen 2 driver.

I recently got fitted for the Gen 4, and went from 265 total distance with 3,300 spin (in the Gen 2 driver), to 267 CARRY with 2,200 spin in the Gen 4 (moving the weights around in the head made a HUGE difference to the spin).

The PXG fitter was extremely knowledgable, tried a multitude of different shafts, lengths and weight setups until we got it right. I think the fit had as much to do with the gains as the upgrade itself, but the ball speed increases were undeniable.

This Gen 4 driver is fast and every bit as good as anything else on the market. The people I’ve seen talking bad about it online 90% of the time don’t own it and just hate the brand. Definitely worth a try, but GET FITTED–easily the best $50 I’ve ever spent to get the fit right.

Curious what weight configuration did you end up after the fitting?

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

$

Edited by BirdieBob

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope