2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Cobra 2022 Plans

hartrick11

19 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Releasing the same day as Cally and TM is probably not a good idea.  Maybe they are holding out for the PGA merch show?

With Kyle Berkshire breaking ball speed records and Bryson touting it to be how Driver's should be built, I would have went toe to toe on release.

The Callaway driver's don't seem to be anything special so it would just be against the Carbon Face tech. I don't know but if I were a company looking to step up to the plate I'd get in there and try and play with the big boys.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Fairway Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max 18° w/ Project X Denali Blue 70 6.0

Hybrid - Ping G430 21° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Approach Wedge -  TaylorMade MG3 52° w/ Nippon Modus 115

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 56° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 60° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

4 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

With Kyle Berkshire breaking ball speed records and Bryson touting it to be how Driver's should be built, I would have went toe to toe on release.

The Callaway driver's don't seem to be anything special so it would just be against the Carbon Face tech. I don't know but if I were a company looking to step up to the plate I'd get in there and try and play with the big boys.

They probably want the stage to clear for when they unveil their new product line.  Cally and TM will get all the hype today.  And I agree, the Cally drivers seem very bland this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheMoneyShot said:

They probably want the stage to clear for when they unveil their new product line.  Cally and TM will get all the hype today.  And I agree, the Cally drivers seem very bland this year. 

I don't play golf anymore, but my 16 year old son does.

Callaway has been bland for some time.  Their product line, in my opinion, have always had a cheap feel and look.  The name Rogue in my book means dirty like a street walker on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando.  The look of the new Rogue doesn't disappoint as it is still cheap looking.  In the junior circuit you just don't see a lot of Callaway Drivers/Woods.  My kid did own the first Mavrik which got good numbers, but the dispersion was awful.

I have always favored TM because their products seem to work. Only model skipped was the Sim as the Mavrik gave him better numbers and feel.  He games the Sim2 currently.  There are a ton of TM Drivers on the junior circuit because they are are good, and TM throws a 30% discount to AJGA members.

Cobra Woods have never done it for him in the past.  He games Forged Tec irons which he loves.  This new driver though really has us both intrigued more than any other release this year.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

On 12/31/2021 at 8:15 PM, weightroom said:

In the flesh:

96A03BE8-75E2-403A-97CE-5BCDD176B1C5.jpeg

I actually don't hate it.  I really like that look for some reason!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

On 1/4/2022 at 10:05 AM, TheMoneyShot said:

I just think they would be better off releasing before TM and Callaway as many preorders are already in now and the Cobra release in say December as they have historically done would at least give TM and Cally loyalists something to think about 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 @ 10.5 Aldila Rogue 130MSI 60TS @ 45”

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Mini 340 Shaft TBD

Mizuno STZ Max 230 15.0 MCA Kaili Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

17 minutes ago, Lemonde said:

I just think they would be better off releasing before TM and Callaway as many preorders are already in now and the Cobra release in say December as they have historically done would at least give TM and Cally loyalists something to think about 

I agree and in years past that’s exactly what they did.  Not sure why they decided to change for this year?

1 hour ago, HoleInNone1 said:

They must be very confident that the new product will turn heads and convince people to buy. I’m intrigued. 

Cobra has always been forward-thinking in product development. I'm sure they are confident. I personally think their running behind schedule. Can't think of any other valid reason. 

4 hours ago, Richsgbox said:

Cobra has always been forward-thinking in product development. I'm sure they are confident. I personally think their running behind schedule. Can't think of any other valid reason. 

Whatever the reason, I’m literally holding my club fitting until my local fitter gets the new cobra lineup in stock. 

I’m planning on trying the new Muzino, Cobra OL, and P790’s. 

it’s been 6 years since I’ve done a fitting. I’m overdue. 

They make good products.  That Ltd. 3 wood with the spaceport was so long. I hope they bring something out like that again.  

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5S 34” (Yes the Rife Phenom.Z 34” of 10+ years may be retired) 

Really interested in the ltd irons. The new Forged TEC look cool. I'm curious to see what functional changes to the current but the aesthetics are good looking. Considering a game improvement set and ready to try Radspeed but would like to see what's new first. Probably would buy Radspeed and then wait a bit and sell and buy the new ones anyway if they are nice. 

Driver: Cobra SZ 9*

4 Wood: Wishon EQ1-NX

4/5 Hybrids: Wishon EQ1-NX

5-GW: Sub 70 659 CB DG 105

56/60: TaylorMade Milled Grind

Putter: Edel E-3

13 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Still scratching my head as to why Cobra is waiting so long to introduce their new lines.  Like another poster stated, lots of people will have already pre-ordered the new Cally or TM driver this week.  Cobra may have missed the boat on this one. 

I would imagine they set their launch date months ago probably based on marketing and production. They wouldn’t know other companies launch dates and maybe can’t change it or just don’t want to. 

10 hours ago, yoose said:

I would imagine they set their launch date months ago probably based on marketing and production. They wouldn’t know other companies launch dates and maybe can’t change it or just don’t want to. 

TM and Cally always launch in he first week or two in Jan. Ping always launches in July.  Titleist in September.  Cobra had a perfect spot historically in November/December, getting product out before Xmas.  Still a head scratcher to me.   I look forward however to this upcoming launch.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lemonde said:

TM and Cally always launch in he first week or two in Jan. Ping always launches in July.  Titleist in September.  Cobra had a perfect spot historically in November/December, getting product out before Xmas.  Still a head scratcher to me.   I look forward however to this upcoming launch.  

My 0.02 on this. Cobra may not have been seeing the preorder numbers they wanted in years past. There's advantages and disadvantages of getting out first. You get out first and get all the early hype and internet reviews. This used to be November/December for them. Then you get the big Taylormade/Callaway release in January and to be honest, Cobra becomes an afterthought at that point. Then there's always the holdouts, people that really like what they see early with Cobra, but won't pull the trigger until they see what Taylormade and Callaway come out with.

Cobra has good hype with Berkshire and Bryson involved with their drivers right now. Two guys that hammer the ball helps them make marketing claims about being the longest and blah blah blah. We all know the truth to this stuff, but it's marketing gold.

So I say why not wait a week or two after Taylormade and Callaway? They will miss out on some preorders, but they will max out the buzz around their product when the current hype has started to die down.

Also, what happens traditionally? Cobra releases early and gets compared head to head against past years models. Then new stuff comes out first of the year and it's callaway vs taylormade head to head. My bet is when Cobra launches, we're gonna see a lot more Cobra vs Stealth right out of the gate. TXG is really the best site to do thorough head to head on all models, but most of the other sites just review what's hot to get the most views. I think it's a good move on their part, at least to try and see how it works out.

Edited by pollock21
  • Like 4

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

On 1/4/2022 at 11:15 AM, heavy_hitter said:

I don't play golf anymore, but my 16 year old son does.

Callaway has been bland for some time.  Their product line, in my opinion, have always had a cheap feel and look.  The name Rogue in my book means dirty like a street walker on Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando.  The look of the new Rogue doesn't disappoint as it is still cheap looking.  In the junior circuit you just don't see a lot of Callaway Drivers/Woods.  My kid did own the first Mavrik which got good numbers, but the dispersion was awful.

I have always favored TM because their products seem to work. Only model skipped was the Sim as the Mavrik gave him better numbers and feel.  He games the Sim2 currently.  There are a ton of TM Drivers on the junior circuit because they are are good, and TM throws a 30% discount to AJGA members.

Cobra Woods have never done it for him in the past.  He games Forged Tec irons which he loves.  This new driver though really has us both intrigued more than any other release this year.

Smart kid (Forged Tec irons).

• Like 3

Just my two cents, but it seems like ever since Cobra's F9 line, their drivers have been consistently hotter compared to Callaway.

Callaway, they just feel sorta cheap and dull to me.

I think TM and Cobra are in a category of their own when it comes to drivers. 

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Core - Ventus Blue+ 6x (45)

4 Wood: Taylormade Qi10 Core - Ventus Blue+ 7x

3 Utility: Mizuno 2024 Pro Fli-Hi - Ventus Blue HB 9x

Irons: Titleist T150 4,5 / T100 6-PW - MMT 125 TX

Wedges: SM10 Raw 52, 56, 60 - MMT 125 TX

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser (35.5)

Balls: Titleist ProV1x

13 minutes ago, The Ultimate Hack said:

Just my two cents, but it seems like ever since Cobra's F9 line, their drivers have been consistently hotter compared to Callaway.

Callaway, they just feel sorta cheap and dull to me.

I think TM and Cobra are in a category of their own when it comes to drivers. 

Didn't love speedzone. Had an F9 a couple of years ago and liked it but it was a bit spinny for me. The Radspeed is surprisingly good. Like as good as anything out there and cheaper. Wish they looked a bit classier but whatever. The Big tour fairway is incredible as well. Really underrated products, possibly even more so than Srixon these days. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Didn't love speedzone. Had an F9 a couple of years ago and liked it but it was a bit spinny for me. The Radspeed is surprisingly good. Like as good as anything out there and cheaper. Wish they looked a bit classier but whatever. The Big tour fairway is incredible as well. Really underrated products, possibly even more so than Srixon these days. 

Agreed. F9 was groundbreaking with how they positioned the back weight (Speedback). You saw Taylormade copy it right away with the "inertia generator" and now Callaway copying it with their Rogue ST line. F9 ballspeed was great but not low spin. Speedzone was the F9 warmed up in the microwave. Radspeed was another step forward with weight being pushed to the perimeter. Again you saw TM do the same thing with SIM2, and Callaway following suit a year later with Rogue ST.  The focus of LTDx will be lowering the CG to the neutral axis while maintaining good MOI numbers. For high speed players (who are also typically high spin), CG location can be more important than MOI. Cobra has had a very consistent low CG driver design philosophy. Lower CG = higher launch and lower spin. A lot of people want that. LTDx will compete with anything that comes out this year at a $100 discount.

I'm just wondering how Ping and Titleist can sit there and say "all metal driver designs are still the best we can do". 

Edited by cw1209

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Tensei AV White 65X / BRNR 13.5 - Black RDX 6.5 / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / ZX7 Modus 115 X 5-P, SM9 52.12 Modus 115X / SM9 56.10 - PX 6.0 / SM9 60.08 PX Wedge 6.0/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, cw1209 said:

1 hour ago, cw1209 said:

Agreed. F9 was groundbreaking with how they positioned the back weight (Speedback). You saw Taylormade copy it right away with the "inertia generator" and now Callaway copying it with their Rogue ST line. F9 ballspeed was great but not low spin. Speedzone was the F9 warmed up in the microwave. Radspeed was another step forward with weight being pushed to the perimeter. Again you saw TM do the same thing with SIM2, and Callaway following suit a year later with Rogue ST.  The focus of LTDx will be lowering the CG to the neutral axis while maintaining good MOI numbers. For high speed players (who are also typically high spin), CG location can be more important than MOI. Cobra has had a very consistent low CG driver design philosophy. Lower CG = higher launch and lower spin. A lot of people want that. LTDx will compete with anything that comes out this year at a $100 discount.

I'm just wondering how Ping and Titleist can sit there and say "all metal driver designs are still the best we can do". 

I think Ping and Titleist can say that pretty easily.  I have played g410lst and now Tsi3 the last two seasons and they are as long and forgiving as anything else on the market.  So why switch from all metal?

• Like 1

Don't know about Titleist but Ping doesn't take a back seat to TM or Cobra in the driver market. Jury is out on TM's new carbon tech, lets see how it performs this year. If the gains are minimal the others may not bother, or they may see the advantage. The legendary G400 Max with a carbon face ? It's on .....