None of you want to hear this…

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

So if a guy can win on on the PGA you really think there worrying about college.  1 win on the PGA is worth more then 4 years of college.

You go to college because your not good enough to win on the PGA or you want an education.  The top schools are not always a focus on education and that should be a bigger concern. 

Yikes.

30 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Some times a kid needs to forced to do something they do not like.  It's called work ethic and more people need to learn it.

You teach that when a kid is young. What looks like a dad getting mad because a kid misses a 3 foot putt is a dad who is teaching his kid they can practice and do it.

Sometimes it sports and some times you make them do actual work but your teaching the same thing The kids who quit easily usually are the ones who have no passion.

If a kid likes a sport everyone knows it.  Some kids passion comes early while others they learn it along the way.  Some times kids take a few years to learn they really love something.

If you have to brow beat your kid into devoting and loving something, you're going about it the wrong way. You're pushing on a string instead of pulling them to approaching things they like or must do in a more appropriate way. The guy lecturing his kid to tears on the practice range, the guy lecturing his 6 year old on the putting green are dad's from hell and are truly what's wrong with youth sports. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My son wants nothing more than to be an F1 driver when he grows up.  Explaining to him that he would be too big by the time he was done growing (he’s going to be over 6’ and 200 lbs when puberty sets in) to race F1 is the easier than telling him my wife would never let him race the competitive karting needed to get into open-wheel racing due to safety concerns. 

After watching Romain Gosjean nearly blow himself up in Bahrain last year, my son is ok with just being an engineer in the F1 world. Over the next few years I will expose him to German, Italian and French to help him on his quest.  He’s already almost two grades ahead in math, and we’re always trying to push the envelope with him academically.  He’s 8.

When children have goals that don’t make any sense, it is up to parents to reel them in and help them evaluate further what is achievable.  At the same time, it’s great to encourage your kids to aim as high as possible and help them come up with a plan to accomplish goals/dreams.  

My kids want to play in Worlds next year, and that would mean shaving off several strokes from their nine-hole scores.  When they don’t feel like practice on miserable South Florida August days, I remind them the handful of kids who go to Worlds that they play with aren’t taking the day off.  Put in the work to get the result you want.  This is something my son embraces more than my daughter, but they both appreciate the difference they see in their games after a summer of diligent practice with some tournament play sprinkled in.  They also appreciate the slushy they got at Sonic afterwards as my appreciation for their hard work this week.

Although there is tour golf in the family tree, that’s not exactly the goal. The goal is an attempt to master an activity, and building confidence to achieve other goals.  Even if they are never par golfers, they will know what it is to grind at something outside of a classroom… with no smartphone, iPad or computer screen in their face.  Once my son gets a little older, maybe that passion for chipping in from 40’ turns into getting an extra 50 hp from an engine—who knows?

But what I do know is that both kids will continue to sharpen their golf chops because they take pride in getting tournament ribbons, trophies and medals, along with compliments from old timers at the range.  Chasing the prodigies from Palm Beach County is their golf “Grail Quest”, so to speak.

To be sure, their golf quest is also partly mine.  I’ll continue to arm them with the best gear I can scrape together, provide them with the best facilities I can to practice and play, make them eat right and even work out, pick the brains of some of my fellow WRX junior dads, and spend entirely too much time window shopping on eBay/golf sites.  

Maybe we will reach the point where they’ve played 100 tournaments by my son’s 10th or 11th birthday, but maybe not.  There is something to be said for both quantity and quality, and there must be some sort of balance between the two in regards to how many/which golf tournaments is right to enter for your child.  To be sure, it isn’t a one-size-fits-all proposition.

There is a wealth of great golf advice out there, and on these forums.  Sifting through it all to get to what makes sense for your junior can be a grind, but also very worthwhile.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

So if a guy can win on on the PGA you really think there worrying about college.  1 win on the PGA is worth more then 4 years of college.

You go to college because your not good enough to win on the PGA or you want an education.  The top schools are not always a focus on education and that should be a bigger concern. 

is there a litmus test for said "So if a guy can win on on the PGA you really think there worrying about college."

Don't we know a kid that didn't go to college and was like number 1 in JGS for two years.

How many wins does he have?  Does he have his tour card?  Has his qualified on the Korn Ferry?  I will answer 0, no and no.

Golf isn't football.  Better off getting better and earning an education.

6 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Totally clueless.

• Like 2

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Here's a sad truth about kids sports ...

All those academies and "experts"? They're trying to get rich. The more kids they suck in, the better the odds of hitting the lottery and finding the next Tiger (no matter the sport). They'll take everybody's entry fee and tuition, because it keeps the gears running. But they're looking for the "one" to hitch their wagon to. 

Unfortunately, most of the kids that are stars at 8-12 have hit their peak earlier than everybody else, and won't be the stars by the time puberty hits. 

And no, you can't make your kid "want it." You can make them want to please Mom and Dad for a while, but it will wear off ... and lead to bitterness and resentment.

Some kids do have "it", obviously. But there is no one way to handle those kids, because every kid is different. If you think you have one, it's great to ask for advice from other parents that have been there, done that. But at the end of the day, you know the kid better than anybody else (or should), and you're the ONLY one who really has their best interest at heart. Don't trust others to make the choices for you or just assume they're looking out for them - because chances are they're not.

PLUS ... pretty much whatever Tiger1873 says, do the opposite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tatertot said:

Here's a sad truth about kids sports ...

All those academies and "experts"? They're trying to get rich. The more kids they suck in, the better the odds of hitting the lottery and finding the next Tiger (no matter the sport). They'll take everybody's entry fee and tuition, because it keeps the gears running. But they're looking for the "one" to hitch their wagon to. 

Unfortunately, most of the kids that are stars at 8-12 have hit their peak earlier than everybody else, and won't be the stars by the time puberty hits. 

And no, you can't make your kid "want it." You can make them want to please Mom and Dad for a while, but it will wear off ... and lead to bitterness and resentment.

Some kids do have "it", obviously. But there is no one way to handle those kids, because every kid is different. If you think you have one, it's great to ask for advice from other parents that have been there, done that. But at the end of the day, you know the kid better than anybody else (or should), and you're the ONLY one who really has their best interest at heart. Don't trust others to make the choices for you or just assume they're looking out for them - because chances are they're not.

PLUS ... pretty much whatever Tiger1873 says, do the opposite.

Listening to my son's coach about teaching Collin at a young age and he knew he had "IT" at 12.  Two PGA wins, a WGC and two majors... guess he has a good eye.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

2 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

So my 8yo daughter has four USK local tour top 3 finishes in a row. FOUR motherf'ers. She is definitely skipping college and hitting the LPGA at like 14. Maybe 15 if we try and give her an extra year of strength training so we make sure she always hits driver at least 320.

We have achieved all this success by making sure she practices at least 6 hours a day...but we do break it up into 2 - three hour training sessions, plus weight and strength training every morning at 5am. When she loses focus she really appreciates us being there to yell at her and snap her back into game mode. My wife is so good at this...just in our daughters ear at the top of her lungs. Sometimes our little girl cries, but when we make her do push-ups that always gets her to stop. Problem solved and getting stronger at the same time!

Another really good technique we learned is that if she doesn't go under par every 9 holes during her afternoon session she doesn't get to eat dinner. Knowing she won't eat if she plays poorly gets her dialed in. Try it with your kids...they'll love it.

I got all these strategies from the Russian olympic gymnastics manual and along with a detailed anabolic steroid schedule we expect nothing less than to create a dominant player.

FML. I am bored and don't want to do any of the work piling up on my desk...

See ... this guy gets it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, MWhack said:

Sport-science is so far, you can get coordination and athleticism in the Gym, even much more efficient nowadays?!
I think specialization might be still the better way for the young generation BUT I don't care, I will allow my little one to do whatever she wants even she really is addicted to Golf but we still do often something else, swimming, basketball, soccer even if I think it doesn't help her that much for golf as a gym might, but it let her miss golf she does not get burned out. 
The important and really positive thing in Team sports is the social aspect I guess, everything else can nowadays be made with a good coach in the gym.

So I think "specialization" is fine if its chosen by the Child not by the Parent!

I guess from playing basketball, football, baseball Nicklaus learned about how posture affects body movement, using his body efficiently, using his weight and  large muscles for leverage , maintaining stamina, finding and maintaining focus,  game strategy  etc... All these factors and more can benefit a developing golfer.

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

12 hours ago, Abh159 said:

This one is VERY true. Of all the guys I grew up playing with, the one that has had the most success (PGA Tour player who has yet to win but has kept his card for 6-7 seasons now) didn't win his first major tournament until the summer after we graduated high school. From there he took off winning multiple times in college and even made the Curtis Cup team one year. 

Before that he was a pretty good player, but he was never someone we worried about having to contend with in junior tournaments. I honestly don't remember him ever being in the top-200 junior rankings or even the top-5 in the state growing up. It just goes to show you that no matter what you do when you 8, 9, 10, or even 15 years old it doesn't really count until you get to college. 

I’m missing something….a “he” made the Curtis Cup?  I thought that was a female event?  Is there another one?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

11 hours ago, wildcatden said:

We drew the line this way (and still do today) as my kid has progressed through golf from age 6-10:

1. We limit tournaments to 10-15 per year.

2. We play other sports....primarily baseball but also casual tennis, skateboarding, skiing, etc. In the spring baseball this past season, we still try to hit the range/course at least 3x/week. We are playing Fall baseball starting in September and we will put the clubs down for 2 months. We will work on getting stronger during that time.

3. We make time to do other things in general such as camping, hiking, time with his friends (especially over the last COVID-19 year), etc...

I would add that when they get older (13-17?) that things like burnout and repetitive stress injury are real. Overall, you just have to make the best decision for the wellness of your child.

When I grow up, I wanna parent like wildcatden!  Good on your mate!  

• Thanks 1

Its no longer the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s or 2000s - how Jack Nicklaus did it back in the day (and he is still my fav golfer) no longer exists - kids today are more pampered, technology rules the world, college as we know it will be obsolete in the next 15 years, things change rapidly - teach your kids social media, make sure they embrace and understand technology, get them a trackman and LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the term "specialization" gets misused a lot.  In many, many cases kids trim down to only 1 sport because it is the only sport that they can compete in anymore.  I shake my head when I hear coaches point to a world class athlete and use him or her as an example of why kids should keep playing multiple sports.  Most kids are not world class athletes.  

31 minutes ago, Noles said:

We respect people's right to have an opinion but we do not need to respect all opinions.  People have some pretty crappy opinions.

So many of you have no idea.  You come on here talking about stats and never talked to anyone who even remotely has won much.  Seriously stats are useless if all you do is talk about them.

The truth is the people who win have a work ethic like no one else and they simply perform when needed.   Some of you text everyone back and forth and post here because it the only way you can feel like you're smart.

You either choose to go to college or not.  Just because you get on a college team doesn't mean you get a good education. The sad fact is a lot of kids that do D1 do not get a good experience.   Most kids only get a partial scholarship so it's not worth it to them if they can pursue other avenues.  If Bhatia never wins another tournament he will still have no problem  finding a country club that pay him 150k plus to be their pro.  Last time I looked that better then most people make.

Play some amateur events  and talk to the parents of these kids many are not happy. The vast majority that is happy are at D2 schools where the schools are not ranked at the top.

But like you guys said I am idiot so and do not know anything so go ahead and find that D1 program your kid will never get  play much and get a crappy education. 

You can keep posting I am done with this subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

So many of you have no idea.  You come on here talking about stats and never talked to anyone who even remotely has won much.  Seriously stats are useless if all you do is talk about them.

The truth is the people who win have a work ethic like no one else and they simply perform when needed.   Some of you text everyone back and forth and post here because it the only way you can feel like you're smart.

You either choose to go to college or not.  Just because you get on a college team doesn't mean you get a good education. The sad fact is a lot of kids that do D1 do not get a good experience.   Most kids only get a partial scholarship so it's not worth it to them if they can pursue other avenues.  If Bhatia never wins another tournament he will still have no problem  finding a country club that pay him 150k plus to be their pro.  Last time I looked that better then most people make.

Play some amateur events  and talk to the parents of these kids many are not happy. The vast majority that is happy are at D2 schools where the schools are not ranked at the top.

But like you guys said I am idiot so and do not know anything so go ahead and find that D1 program your kid will never get  play much and get a crappy education. 

You can keep posting I am done with this subject.

You quoted me, so I will respond.  I did not quote you and my statement was not directed at you specifically.  It was directed at the notion that we must respect all opinions, which I completely disagree with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noles said:

You quoted me, so I will respond.  I did not quote you and my statement was not directed at you specifically.  It was directed at the notion that we must respect all opinions, which I completely disagree with.

For that matter I disagree with his/her notion that a club pro can easily make $150k.  There may be a few but most are woefully underpaid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar