Minimum handicap index to join a country club

A membership golf course, country club, whatever, have you ever heard of one that has a requirement that to join, you must actually play golf, no rank beginners, or has some minimum handicap index? Reason I ask is that I saw this elderly couple taking lessons and it was not pretty. I mean, these people were close to 80 and taking up golf, the hardest game on the planet! First of all, just actually contacting the ball was a chore. A good hit was, like, 20 yards. Can you imagine being stuck behind these people on a golf course? This is a serious post, I am curious as to how clubs handle this or do they?

At the country club I first belonged to many years ago, which was nice enough, but not upscale, not expensive, I don't recall any members who could not actually play pretty well, both sexes. They had a ladies day to where the first half of the day, they had the course all to themselves and there was several tee times of ladies. They could all play. Granted, some could only hit it, say, 150 yards, but that's not terrible. And they certainly didn't hit it hard enough to be wild off the tee. And any other time other than ladies day, they were uber vigilant to let people through. I don't know if this was typical of country clubs but I suspect it was... it seems the membership was actually comprised of golfers, not newbies.

I can imagine people retiring and thinking, hey, let's learn to play golf! Not having a clue about how hard it is nor how much their (lack of) play affects others. Is that what Florida winters are like, lol? I wonder how long golf rounds take there?

Hope you guys will chime in.

Some of your more serious "golf clubs" do this (Champions Club in Houston and some of the more famous courses around NYC come to mind), but I have never heard of it at a "country club" and certainly not any semi-private course.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

In the Uk i have heard of certain golf clubs "favouring" lower HC golfers when they get interviewed to join (yes at a lot of clubs in the UK you still have an interview)

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

So, you saw these people taking lessons on the practice tee, not on the golf course, and you're complaining about them? They're part of the 2% who have the smarts to do that.

I would go back there are thank them and encourage them.

You, on the other hand, don't appreciate them taking lessons. You were probably just as bad as them at one time.

And minimum handicaps thing has been tried and the idea has always failed.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

2 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

So, you saw these people taking lessons on the practice tee, not on the golf course, and you're complaining about them? They're part of the 2% who have the smarts to do that.

I would go back there are thank them and encourage them.

You, on the other hand, don't appreciate them taking lessons. You were probably just as bad as them at one time.

And minimum handicaps thing has been tried and the idea has always failed.

I knew somebody would come back and attack me. As for those taking the lesson, I am sure they are dear people, but it is about almost a 100% certainty that golf on a golf course will never be a good thing for those people. Golf just isn't a good choice.

And yet you add "And minimum handicaps thing has been tried and the idea has always failed." If that is so, I am interested in hearing about that very thing. It's the reason for the post. This is a potential problem and I am curious as to how clubs handle this.

13 minutes ago, Superbrit said:

In the Uk i have heard of certain golf clubs "favouring" lower HC golfers when they get interviewed to join (yes at a lot of clubs in the UK you still have an interview)

So, UK clubs have an interview. What are the interview questions like?

EDIT:  Also, what is a "lower handicap" in those instances?

Edited by playit

10 minutes ago, playit said:

So, UK clubs have an interview. What are the interview questions like?

Not a clue never had one, the 2 clubs ive been a member of didnt feel the need to interview, in the UK we tend to stay at clubs for years and years

Wouldnt stop me trying to join them clubs though if i really wanted to join them

Ive heard a certain few clubs i know of really like having scratch/low single figures, and they also tend to have limits on the amount of members they have

Edited by Superbrit

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

At our club I've seen real beginners, they usually play later in the afternoon. 

Pace is more important than skill. I've played with my wife in <4 hours as part of a 4 some while on our honeymoon and this was like her 2nd and 3 Rd round ever. 

If someone is a beginner there's lots of options, like playing from the middle of the fairways instead of tees etc.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

There are a few older couples like this at my club.  This is an overgeneralization, but they are the most considerate of all the golfers.  Most of the time they are pulling over to let me play through before I even get off the previous hole green.  I like them play in the afternoon when it isnt busy.  I have never seen them at peak times.  Mostly play 9 in 3 hours is my guess, but they try to disappear when other golfers approach.  I have stopped to chat from time to time (i usually play alone) and they are hyper aware of the challenges of playing slow.  Just my experience.  I get that not all will behave like this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, playit said:

I knew somebody would come back and attack me. As for those taking the lesson, I am sure they are dear people, but it is about almost a 100% certainty that golf on a golf course will never be a good thing for those people. Golf just isn't a good choice.

And yet you add "And minimum handicaps thing has been tried and the idea has always failed." If that is so, I am interested in hearing about that very thing. It's the reason for the post. This is a potential problem and I am curious as to how clubs handle this.

Perhaps you can type up a list of activities you approve for them and give it to them?  🙂

Let me correct something. I've never heard of a club or course requiring a minimum handicap. What, you want a course for hackers only?

I've heard of clubs requiring a maximum handicap and the idea failed.

• Like 3

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

10 minutes ago, farmer said:

You should wait until you have a problem on the course before complaining.

C'mon, it's a forum. Where people come up with different ideas to yack about. Have I ever seen excruciating play due to clueless people? Yes, I have. People who, literally, cannot hit the ball. Until you can hit the ball, it's really not a good idea to play a golf course. Unless you pick up after x-number of swings. And some don't, they just keep hacking at it. I'm not alone, frustration about the clueless people was universal among all of the other golfers. It's almost impossible to create a meaningful post that lists every thought in your head, the post would be too long.

There are some really high end golf courses that have a lot of 20-30 hdcp players due to the fact that those people worked their butts off to get where they are (and of course there are plenty of people born into that life as well). I used to get annoyed (really jealous mostly) of people that belonged to really nice golf clubs that could hardly play until I realized that a lot of these people were busy building their careers while I was out hitting range balls or playing hooky from work to go squeeze in 18. Ultimately, some clubs can be choosier than others I guess. And just because someone isn't a good player doesn't mean they will play slowly. That is something other members and the club have to police. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

2 hours ago, playit said:

A membership golf course, country club, whatever, have you ever heard of one that has a requirement that to join, you must actually play golf, no rank beginners, or has some minimum handicap index? Reason I ask is that I saw this elderly couple taking lessons and it was not pretty. I mean, these people were close to 80 and taking up golf, the hardest game on the planet! First of all, just actually contacting the ball was a chore. A good hit was, like, 20 yards. Can you imagine being stuck behind these people on a golf course? This is a serious post, I am curious as to how clubs handle this or do they?

The two clubs where I held memberships had no expectations regarding new members even having an index.  The club where my wife was a member, and we still play there with friends, doesn't have expectations either.  All the courses are difficult tests of golf too but more like CC's, so the social aspect was strong.   Everybody has to learn the game, and for many, it takes quite sometime to learn.  Lots of people on this board are still trying to get below 12, but golf isn't having it. 😛

One thing that any well managed pvt club does is indoctrinate its members as to POP, and playing through.  As a result, at the aforementioned clubs, on average, women played faster than the men, and only a few of them at one club were single digit and two were scratch.  Most of the women were mid-hi caps.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

1 hour ago, playit said:

C'mon, it's a forum. Where people come up with different ideas to yack about. Have I ever seen excruciating play due to clueless people? Yes, I have. People who, literally, cannot hit the ball. Until you can hit the ball, it's really not a good idea to play a golf course. Unless you pick up after x-number of swings. And some don't, they just keep hacking at it. I'm not alone, frustration about the clueless people was universal among all of the other golfers. It's almost impossible to create a meaningful post that lists every thought in your head, the post would be too long.

Over the years, I've played in many regional events, and pvt interclub match play tournament events.  The slowest people I've encountered were big hitting better golfers that think they are way better than in actuality, that includes some guys better than my low of 2.  Older age and POP are not synonymous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

We still interview and vet new members. They don't have to be a good at golf, but they do have to understand pace.

We have several really lovely golfers over 90 who are not able to golf very well. They are smart about when they come out and play, pick up the ball when they need to move along and might only hit a few shots a hole. They just love still being able to be out and I am happy to play behind them or with them. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

We still interview and vet new members. They don't have to be a good at golf, but they do have to understand pace.

We several really lovely golfers over 90 who are not able to golf very well. They are smart about when they come out and play, pick up the ball and might only hit a few shots a hole. They just love still being able to be out and I am happy to play behind them or with them. 

Interesting. What is an interview like? How do you vet, what keeps someone out?

3 minutes ago, playit said:

Interesting. What is an interview like? How do you vet, what keeps someone out?

They have to have two members vouch for them. They have to come play a round of golf with a designate and they have to go through credit and criminal cheques. 

It is rare that someone is denied, but we have had 2 or 3 in recent years deemed not to be a good fit, but it was from white collar crime stuff on their record (ie financial fraud). 

In some ways I think a better system would be to let then for a year on probation.

Edited by 2bGood

What's the maximum age for beginning to play golf?

What's the maximum handicap for joining a club?

Honestly, I can't imagine being stuck in a conversation with you.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

Over the years, I've played in many regional events, and pvt interclub match play tournament events.  The slowest people I've encountered were big hitting better golfers that think they are way better than in actuality, that includes some guys better than my low of 2.  Older age and POP are not synonymous.

Conversely the slower people I've encountered are generally bad middle aged golfers.  Mulligans, booze, and egos equates to 5+ hour rounds in my neck of the woods.

• Like 4

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Regarding the OP point.  Who cares how old or bad they are.  My wife absolutely sucks.  But, she enjoys a round every now and then.  We simply play executive courses or best ball.  Anybody can golf in my book. 

We also enjoy a date night at our local indoor facility.  Its fun and there isn't a pace of play concern. 

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

5 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

Conversely the slower people I've encountered are generally bad middle aged golfers.  Mulligans, booze, and egos equates to 5+ hour rounds in my neck of the woods.

I hear ya...  In our neck of the woods, I wouldn't call them middle-aged though.  They are un-groomed 20-30 something's that don't play golf much over any given year.  We have more than our fair share of them.  We had 4 of them in front of us a few weeks back.  We finally called the Pro Shop, and they sent out someone to kick them in the azz... 

• Like 3
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

2 hours ago, playit said:

At the country club I first belonged to many years ago, which was nice enough, but not upscale, not expensive, I don't recall any members who could not actually play pretty well, both sexes. They had a ladies day to where the first half of the day, they had the course all to themselves and there was several tee times of ladies. They could all play. Granted, some could only hit it, say, 150 yards, but that's not terrible. And they certainly didn't hit it hard enough to be wild off the tee. And any other time other than ladies day, they were uber vigilant to let people through. I don't know if this was typical of country clubs but I suspect it was... it seems the membership was actually comprised of golfers, not newbies.

I can imagine people retiring and thinking, hey, let's learn to play golf! Not having a clue about how hard it is nor how much their (lack of) play affects others. Is that what Florida winters are like, lol? I wonder how long golf rounds take there?

Hope you guys will chime in.

This may come out wrong or harsh sounding so please take it with a grain of salt.

Open access to golf, no matter skill level or type of facility is what is needed to grow the game! You assume that golf is hard because it has taken years for you to affectively play the game at what you perceive is a "high level" .  As far as a "skill level" for membership requirement that is mostly left up to the club. It is like asking someone at the airport how much they fly on a passenger aircraft and putting those passengers that do not fly alot in the back because they clap when they land at their destination.  Now in saying that most CC's no matter if they are member owned or privately held LOVE money , and they need members to pay that money. 

The other cavoite that was mentioned was clubs in Europe; more particularly in the UK, Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland. These are clubs within clubs, for example St. Andrews has 4-5 clubs that are associated with the course so there is typically a formal interview process. And most of the clubs are restricted via gender although that is starting to change.  

I know for the club I belong to we have 5-6 different types of memberships , from social to fitness, all the way to full voting single golf. And within the golfing member all different skill levels are represented. I am sure that you do not intend to look down upon someone who wants to pick up this great game , but your words say other wise. I can assure you that knowledge of the etiquette, and enjoyment of the game far out weighs what you perceive as "skill" . Beside I know people who may not hit the ball that far but behold the utmost enjoyment that game can offer within the comradery, social interaction, and being in the great outdoors!  

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

5 hours ago, farmer said:

You should wait until you have a problem on the course before complaining.

I didn't read the OP as complaining, just curious to hear other's thoughts.  Maybe not worded perfectly to convey that as it did come off a bit "holier than thou" but I got his message.

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

I hear ya...  In our neck of the woods, I wouldn't call them middle-aged though.  They are un-groomed 20-30 something's that don't play golf much over any given year.  We have more than our fair share of them.  We had 4 of them in front of us a few weeks back.  We finally called the Pro Shop, and they sent out someone to kick them in the azz... 

I think that is your answer.  People who just aren't aware that there is an expectation on pace of play or some of the other "unwritten rules" people bring up to use as fodder for the "golf is stodgy and dying because of this" argument.  Just faux pas type of things that experienced golfers don't do.

I suck at golf.  But I know how to play fast and even though I suck most of the time you can tell I know how to play a little bit (not counting my swing some days.)  Little things that aren't included in the "So you want to be a golfer" manual, fixing pitch marks, sanding/replacing divots, where to park the cart, taking your putter with you to hit your chip/pitch, handling the flagstick, etc.

I tried to take my 6 year old (at the time) daughter out to play.  It was actually hard to keep her interested because she hit it so short.  Though she could hit ti straight and understood the objective and how to do it, it was a drag for her to have to wait till we got within 100 yards for her to get to play.  And even still that took us some time to do.  Much slower than I anticipated.  

So to the OP's point/question, how do you transition a really short or really bad golf swing to the course and not have to do it on an absolutely empty place?

• Like 1