2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Srixon Z Star Diamond

butterysnaphook

Having recently played 3 rounds with the Left Dot I must say I do not see any similarities (aside from the ball being round and white) to the Diamond. 

Not to say the diamond is not a good ball, and maybe great for some... The Left Dot flies considerably lower, feels a bit firmer, spins less off driver and mid/long irons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it's time I give these a try, originally wrote them off due to the "Mid-Spin" they said this ball gets off the driver as that was an issue for me. I hate how brands describe ball characteristics honestly, nothing makes sense. I love the XV from tee to approach but at times was lacking around the green where the Z-Star was short for me off the tee but much better around the green just too soft. So if this is an in between with XV feel and distance with Z-Start around the green it should be one I play. 

Has anyone done a bit more testing with this compared to the Chrome Soft X? Read some comparison to the Tour B X but just want to see what I can expect. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

39 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I think it's time I give these a try, originally wrote them off due to the "Mid-Spin" they said this ball gets off the driver as that was an issue for me. I hate how brands describe ball characteristics honestly, nothing makes sense. I love the XV from tee to approach but at times was lacking around the green where the Z-Star was short for me off the tee but much better around the green just too soft. So if this is an in between with XV feel and distance with Z-Start around the green it should be one I play. 

Has anyone done a bit more testing with this compared to the Chrome Soft X? Read some comparison to the Tour B X but just want to see what I can expect. 

These are great balls, and my favorite Srixons. I usually play a mix of Snell MTB-X, Vice Pro Plus, and ProV1 left dash. I don't find these more spinny off of the driver, there's been no issues with ballooning or crazy dispersion, just nice boring, long drives. They do spin more on approach shots into the green, so I usually aim a little past the hole and these back up quite a bit. Love the balls.

• Like 2

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

34 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

These are great balls, and my favorite Srixons. I usually play a mix of Snell MTB-X, Vice Pro Plus, and ProV1 left dash. I don't find these more spinny off of the driver, there's been no issues with ballooning or crazy dispersion, just nice boring, long drives. They do spin more on approach shots into the green, so I usually aim a little past the hole and these back up quite a bit. Love the balls.

Nice boring ball flights are something I won't mind at all if I can control. I'm just tired of yelling "BITE! BITE!" on short shots into the green and don't like using balls I don't like the feel of. So definitely looking to try these. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

7 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Nice boring ball flights are something I won't mind at all if I can control. I'm just tired of yelling "BITE! BITE!" on short shots into the green and don't like using balls I don't like the feel of. So definitely looking to try these. 

I guarantee you'll never say bite with these! You'll have to really factor in the amount of backspin on your approaches. My son plays these exclusively now, he loves the zip back, and has holed out a few with these.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

22 minutes ago, gioreeko said:

I guarantee you'll never say bite with these! You'll have to really factor in the amount of backspin on your approaches. My son plays these exclusively now, he loves the zip back, and has holed out a few with these.

I'll definitely grab a box to try, I should also sell all the balls that didn't make the cut too lol.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 8/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, HoganHO said:

Having recently played 3 rounds with the Left Dot I must say I do not see any similarities (aside from the ball being round and white) to the Diamond. 

Not to say the diamond is not a good ball, and maybe great for some... The Left Dot flies considerably lower, feels a bit firmer, spins less off driver and mid/long irons.

Interesting observations.  I played most of last year and half of this year with the left dot. 8 dozen total.  I alternated back and forth with the diamond to extend my dot supply.  Hit hundreds of shots indoors on a GC Quad and came away with the exact opposite conclusions.  They definitely have their differences. For me and my experience- Diamond 150 rpm's more off the driver and +0.6* launch, nearly a wash with irons, slightly more spin around the green with diamond, left dot a touch firmer off the putter.  Generally speaking, the diamond is a touch softer everywhere.  Definitely not soft, but softer than the dot.  

Depending on speed, AOA, equipment, etc...  I could see how anyone could have a very different experience.  But, "considerably lower" is a bit of a stretch without a definition, or data.  If you consider 1* on a driver considerable, which it could be, that is one thing.  But, 1* on a wedge or mid/long iron is negligible.

thanks for sharing.

12 hours ago, HoganHO said:

B. Easy—the flight is considerably lower to my eye and my regular playing partner’s eyes. I am a high ball hitter to begin with. I do not have launch monitor data. I thi k they’re both really good balls. They’re just not the same if someone is looking for a Left Dot and cannot find some.

Totally fair.  No 2 tour level balls are the same.  For your swing, equipment, and delivery that may be true. My contention is that total performance between the two were objectively extremely close with my swing, equipment, delivery based on hundreds of shots worth of data collected with a GC QUAD and trackman indoors and out.  The deception of the "eye" with golf ball flight off of the driver is real.  Initial launch vs peak height vs decent angle need to be evaluated together.  2 of those 3 cannot truly be evaluated without a launch monitor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took the ♦ out on the course today for the first time, was my first round in 2 weeks so a touch rusty, it was also cool at 15°C/60°F when I played this morning and also damp so a few areas may have been a bit skewed.

With that said I am liking a lot of things with this ball, plenty of distance with the woods furthest drive today was 307 yards and practically no roll out was seeing pitch marks need my ball. The "Mid-Spin" they mention on the box I don't think is very true for driver, my ball always had a piercing flight to it, only time I did see a lot of spin is when I hit a big right to left cut with my fairway off the tee, ball kinda just dropped out of the air in the middle of the fairway at like 245 I think, I'll take that.

Irons they came out at a nice and high window that I like seems like a good amount of spin where I'm not seeing the ball fall from the sky but isn't a knuckle ball coming into the green. The ball was also coming in quite steep for me and was stopping within a putters length of the pitch mark, granted it was very soft but another area that looked good to me.

Wedges they spun and actually had a solid wedge game with these today but I'd want to see them on dry conditions.

Putting I was using a softer putter this round, may be too soft with this putter but probably just fine with others, maybe a hair too soft overall but not like others.

Durability I didn't see much issues, sent one off a tree and was just fine, my markings didn't smudge a ton and went on really well.

Overall I really like this ball, I've been a fan of Srixon balls, the Z-Star has always been too soft and spinny for me and the XV has been an issue on approach and wedge game at times, this seems to be a happy medium for me without me having to wish it had some attributes I like. Definitely neck and neck with the Chrome Soft X for me now just have to test more and see where the Tour B X will fit. Worst case I play all 3 and play whichever I can get the best deal on.

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cj4501 said:

Anyone put this up against cs x ls?   Was gong to get a dozen of ls but super curious about these.  

Not side by side but I've played the XLS a lot, I wouldn't say they are a good ball to compare side by side I think the CSX is a better comparable ball at least for me. 

Driver I'd say XLS is longer, that thing is just stupid long, but the Diamond is no slouch. 

Irons the Diamond was a bit higher for me in flight, XLS was lower and more piercing so great for wind. Stopping power probably giving that to the Diamond. 

Short game XLS is definitely a firmer feel but nothing insane like a Top Rock, the Diamond for me had better spin and stopping power which is a main reason I've drifted away from the XLS lately. 

Both are really good balls, I've played some really good rounds with the XLS in the past but as I said lately needed more from it and don't see these as comparable in my game. 

Z-Star - ChromeSoft

Diamond - ChromeSoft X

XV - XLS 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

17 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Not side by side but I've played the XLS a lot, I wouldn't say they are a good ball to compare side by side I think the CSX is a better comparable ball at least for me. 

Driver I'd say XLS is longer, that thing is just stupid long, but the Diamond is no slouch. 

Irons the Diamond was a bit higher for me in flight, XLS was lower and more piercing so great for wind. Stopping power probably giving that to the Diamond. 

Short game XLS is definitely a firmer feel but nothing insane like a Top Rock, the Diamond for me had better spin and stopping power which is a main reason I've drifted away from the XLS lately. 

Both are really good balls, I've played some really good rounds with the XLS in the past but as I said lately needed more from it and don't see these as comparable in my game. 

Z-Star - ChromeSoft

Diamond - ChromeSoft X

XV - XLS 

dabbled with Callaway balls here and there but not enough to give a fair comparison but what I found is similar.

Z-Star- ProV1

Diamond- ProV1X(less spin on woods)

XV- Left Dash

4 minutes ago, golf_junkie_85 said:

dabbled with Callaway balls here and there but not enough to give a fair comparison but what I found is similar.

Z-Star- ProV1

Diamond- ProV1X(less spin on woods)

XV- Left Dash

Good to know thanks, I haven't dabbled much in Titleist balls myself since to be honest their constant switches I've been a bit confused, plus better prices/discount on other balls. 

Maybe I'll give the ProV1x a try again but then again Srixon should have their BOGO soon so more Diamond's lol. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 4 weeks later...

I played the 2022 BX this most of this year and really liked it.  I recently put the Srixon Z-Star Diamond in play and these are my observations…The Diamond has a slightly softer feel, better durability, and has more spin on approach shots and green side spin on chips and pitches.  I feel it performs just as good in the wind as the BX.  Trajectory and distance with all my clubs were virtually the same with both balls and both balls hit the trajectory window I like to see.  I am not a high spin player, and I appreciate what I felt was a little more spin on my approach shots into greens with the Diamond.  I also felt my distance control from 150 in and around the greens with the Diamond was better than the BX.  My conclusion…I am making the switch to the Z-Star Diamond.  I believe it’s going to be the best fit for my game.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9*- Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 60 X-Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist TSR3 15* Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 70 X-Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 X-Stiff

Irons: Titleist T100(2019) 3, 5-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50* KBS C-Taper 130X, 54* & 58* KBS 610 Wedge 125.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1(2023)

Has anyone had the “seam” peeling issue that was found in the ZStar and XV? I thought I read somewhere that the 🔸was made in different factory and it did not have the same manufacturing flaw the other two models do.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I've noticed the paint wear off at the seem and you can see the seam line, but no peeling and no affect to playability.  Otherwise, the durability has been solid for me.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9*- Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 60 X-Stiff

Fairway Woods: Titleist TSR3 15* Mitsubishi Diamana Whiteboard D+ 70 X-Stiff

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 18* Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.8 X-Stiff

Irons: Titleist T100(2019) 3, 5-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50* KBS C-Taper 130X, 54* & 58* KBS 610 Wedge 125.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #10 

Ball: Titleist Pro V1(2023)

6 minutes ago, gentles said:

Can anyone compare the feel off a wedge and putter with the TP5? Hard to find these without buying a full dozen. I'm picky about the sound off a putter and wedge so just wanting to hear if someone can specifically compare it to the TP5. 

In my experience, Diamond will be a touch firmer off the putter and wedges than the TP5.  TP5 has always seemed very soft to me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've played 3 rounds w/the Diamond now and it's a very strong performer all around but the control from say 50yds and in is exceptional.  Flighting control is as good as it gets.  My criticism of the ball is it's cover durability as others here have noted and IDK if I've ever seen a ball get as dirty - persistently dirty - as fast and as often as the Diamond.  If feels like it needs to be cleaned after every shot.  IDK if it's the type of urethane formulation they use or the Spin Skin but they get filthy fast and seem to want to stay that way.

Are they making any changes to this ball for 2023?  Besides packaging?

Edited by the bishop

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

6 hours ago, the bishop said:

I've played 3 rounds w/the Diamond now and it's a very strong performer all around but the control from say 50yds and in is exceptional.  Flighting control is as good as it gets.  My criticism of the ball is it's cover durability as others here have noted and IDK if I've ever seen a ball get as dirty - persistently dirty - as fast and as often as the Diamond.  If feels like it needs to be cleaned after every shot.  IDK if it's the type of urethane formulation they use or the Spin Skin but they get filthy fast and seem to want to stay that way.

Are they making any changes to this ball for 2023?  Besides packaging?

You must have got the “pigpen” prototype…. Lol. I think it’s the spin skin coating they put on the cover that picks up the dirt.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying this ball out the past few rounds since it was in the top 3 recommended for me through the ballnamic fitting site every time I put my numbers in.  Its by far my favorite feeling / sounding ball off irons and putter but I just cant keep it in bounds off the tee.  Gives me the extra height and stopping power i need on irons but just too much spin off driver.  The few balls i have hit "perfect" have been pretty long for sure.  I am not great with face control yet so I need a lower spinning ball to help get me in the fairway.  Such a bummer cause I seriously love this ball. 

Recommendations for other balls that are very similar but spin less off driver I am open to ideas.  Otherwise I play well with maxfli tour, snell mtb black, or mint condition used prov1s.  I try to keep the ball expenses a little lower if I can. 

9 minutes ago, ReidE5 said:

Been trying this ball out the past few rounds since it was in the top 3 recommended for me through the ballnamic fitting site every time I put my numbers in.  Its by far my favorite feeling / sounding ball off irons and putter but I just cant keep it in bounds off the tee.  Gives me the extra height and stopping power i need on irons but just too much spin off driver.  The few balls i have hit "perfect" have been pretty long for sure.  I am not great with face control yet so I need a lower spinning ball to help get me in the fairway.  Such a bummer cause I seriously love this ball. 

Recommendations for other balls that are very similar but spin less off driver I am open to ideas.  Otherwise I play well with maxfli tour, snell mtb black, or mint condition used prov1s.  I try to keep the ball expenses a little lower if I can. 

For me the Bridgestone Tour B X and Chrome Soft X I found were similar to the Diamond.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 11/3/2022 at 3:21 PM, gentles said:

Can anyone compare the feel off a wedge and putter with the TP5? Hard to find these without buying a full dozen. I'm picky about the sound off a putter and wedge so just wanting to hear if someone can specifically compare it to the TP5. 

I've used the TP5 since it came out, and I didn't notice much difference off the putter after my first round with the Z-Star Diamond.  It might have felt a little firmer, but nothing that was very obvious.  It felt fine chipping around the greens and spin was fine for how I like to chip around the greens.  I typically don't try and spin the ball a lot around the greens, and the Diamond responded similar to what I would expect from my TP5.  

I was driving the ball terribly yesterday, so I can't comment on much when it comes to driver and irons.  The handful of good shots I hit were just fine, but I'll need some more rounds to see how much different it is from the TP5.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

• 4 weeks later...

Was just commenting in the Mizuno RB Tour thread that I’m currently testing the Diamond and Mizuno Tour X. So far I’ve only hit irons on my sim (Bushnell Launch Pro). Two very similar performing balls. I play ZX7 irons and the diamond matches those irons very well. As most know the ZX7 irons tend to be low launch/spin irons. The diamond (and tour X), put the ball flight into a great window for me. Improved spin (5800’ish revs) with my 7 iron and descent angles right around 47 degrees. Feel is very very good too. More testing for sure but as of now it’s either going to be the Diamond or Tour X ball for next year.

• Like 2