Srixon Z Star Diamond

butterysnaphook

An update. Greens rolling better and temperatures improving. Compared the Diamond to the current V1x and 2022 Bridgestone XS yesterday. Titleist was longer and the cover held up much better than the Diamond. Diamond sits down better on full shots and I prefer it for putting. XS feels too soft and spins too much. Diamond will be great in warmer climes and on firmer courses. 

• Like 1

Sorry if I missed it, but any comparison’s between the diamond and 2022 tour b x?  TIA!

• Like 1

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I've tested the Diamond for two rounds now and I love it. It feels firm, I'd say it feels like a Pro V1 but spins more around the green. Not as clicky as a Pro V1x which was a huge bonus for me. Flight was very consistent and held up really well in the wind. My one knock, and it has been mentioned here before, is the durability. I noticed the seam after playing 9 holes with the same ball. That said, I think will be my gamer ball moving forward as it checks more boxes than any other ball for me. Might try the 2021 TaylorMade TP5x to see how they compare. 

• Like 1

Driver - TaylorMade Sim 2 9* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70

3 Wood - TaylorMade '17 M1 15* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80

3 UI - Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi 19* w/ True Temper XP 115

Irons - Srixon Z-785 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50/12* + SM7 54/14* + SM8 58/12*

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select ‘12 Newport 2 35"

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B XS

Picked up a box after all the positive reviews and played my first round with these today.  I played the Left Dash all last season and still planning to game them this season, and am a high launch and spin player for context. Driver SS is typically 125-128.

Very positive first impression for the Diamond.  Very long off the tee, comparable to the Dash.  Flight was a little lower the Dash or standard V1x, but  I wouldn’t describe it as low launch.  Noticeably more iron spin, especially on the long irons.  A bit more responsive greenside, and feels great off the putter. Overspun a couple full wedges, but that was user error.  No issues with cover durability - one very small scuff after 18 holes.  

Looking forward to a few more rounds with it and hopefully some trackman numbers too.  Seems to have the spin of a V1x with the launch and feel of a V1.  Not sure if it will beat out the Left Dash, but certainly has a chance and I think a lot of people will really like this ball!

• Like 3

TaylorMade SIM 8* - Aldila Rogue White 60TX

TaylorMade SIM 17* - Aldila Rogue White 70TX

PING G410 Crossover 19* - Project X 6.5

PING i210 4-U - Project X 6.5

PING Glide 3.0 54WS, 60SS - Project X 6.0

PXG One & Done

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

I wonder if it’s just certain batches of balls that have the seam issue. I played Z Star for a few years and never had the seam issue. But it happens way too often for it to be just a one off. It would be interesting to hear what Srixon’s reply is about it?

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've had a chance to play a few rounds at my home club, I wanted to share my thoughts on this ball. Early March I played one round on Florida with the ball and was not thrilled, but that was also partly due to the first round of the year and my play was not the greatest. Immediately after that round I picked up a dozen ProV1 to finish the trip.

So six rounds in the past week and a half - 3 with the Diamond and 3 with my usual ProV1. For the most part they are fairly comparable, but the biggest differences have been higher iron trajectory and lower short game spin with the Diamond. Probably the most annoying thing about the Diamond is dirt likes to stick to the cover and needs to be scrubbed off, and they color scuff very easily. The ProV1 seems to fly straighter as well.

Overall a pretty good ball, but definitely won't be replacing the V1.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Signature!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a whole round in with the diamond to compare against the XV's. We finally hit the 80's here in SLC so it definitely was making the ball go further but it honestly felt further than the XV. I think where the diamond really sets itself apart is feel. Driver down to putter feels better than the XV. I definitely will be gaming this ball moving forward but if Srixon does a fathers day sale again, I'll probably pick up Z-stars over XV and offload the two cases of XV's. 

I've gamed 10.5 driver heads since the original M2 came out. I decided to try out a STZ220 9.5 head. I think between the loft and low launch driver shaft, a ball with more spin off the driver is a far better match up.

• Like 2

I demoed a lot of balls last year... off the top of my head:

AVX

Bridgestone B X

Srixon XV

Maxfil Tour X 

Snell (both)

Kirkland (briefly)

I've hit the Tp5xs (did not buy a box)... 

Played my first sleeve of Diamonds on Sunday, and I think they might be my go to... I don't feel like they are top of the line in any specific category, but they seemed to be rock solid in every category. Driver flight was good, spin off irons was fine... spin around greens was great... Feel was perfect.

Still some testing left to do, but if I was offered free balls, these would be my pick... If they have any sort of deal, I'll likely buy 4 dozen.

Maxfli Tour X gets a special shout out for being a tremendous value if you buy them at the right time.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

On 4/14/2022 at 4:51 AM, von3jack said:

I've tested the Diamond for two rounds now and I love it. It feels firm, I'd say it feels like a Pro V1 but spins more around the green. Not as clicky as a Pro V1x which was a huge bonus for me. Flight was very consistent and held up really well in the wind. My one knock, and it has been mentioned here before, is the durability. I noticed the seam after playing 9 holes with the same ball. That said, I think will be my gamer ball moving forward as it checks more boxes than any other ball for me. Might try the 2021 TaylorMade TP5x to see how they compare. 

How does it compare to prov1 driver & irons. I like the prov1 but want more spin around the greens. 

9 hours ago, backspace1 said:

How does it compare to prov1 driver & irons. I like the prov1 but want more spin around the greens. 

I can't speak to distance because I don't consider that to be a huge determining factor. There are so many factors that can contribute to variances in distance (temperature, strike, uphill/downhill, my swing speed, my AoA). I can say it seems to launch higher off both driver and irons. The stopping power seemed to be there.

• Like 1

Driver - TaylorMade Sim 2 9* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70

3 Wood - TaylorMade '17 M1 15* w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80

3 UI - Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi 19* w/ True Temper XP 115

Irons - Srixon Z-785 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM6 50/12* + SM7 54/14* + SM8 58/12*

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select ‘12 Newport 2 35"

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B XS

Whats everyones opinion on what this ball is comparable to others on the market?

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

6 hours ago, zap311 said:

FYI - It looks like Worldwide Golf Shops (Golf Mart, Roger Dunn, etc.) will be doing a Srixon B2G1 around Father's Day, including the Z-Star Diamond. The ad only mentions that Divide models are excluded. It would be $90 for 3 boxes or $30/each.

awesome that diamond will be included! now how many dozen do I pick up is the problem...

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 11:19 AM, agood3putt said:

Whats everyones opinion on what this ball is comparable to others on the market?

I think its difficult - I was asking myself the same. The spin off the driver and the softer feel off the putter is what sets this one apart for me. The Diamond has really helped me to reduce the number of low spin curve balls off the driver which has been great. Off the putter its great feeling - i would say similar to the "old" Pro V1, pretty soft for a tour ball.

Spin around the greens is great, I found it to be slightly less spinny on chips than a Callaway CSX but plenty of spin to go around. Flight of irons is "high" i would say - higher than CSX but with less spin in my opinion.

To me, ZSD is the ball I have to make the fewest compromises with...it's priced decently well and the quality and durability so far has been great.

If you are looking at other alternatives, I'd say Callaway CSX, Maxfli Tour (will be lower spin but feel is similar) and Bridgestone XS (will feel even softer off irons)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, m_w said:

I think its difficult - I was asking myself the same. The spin off the driver and the softer feel off the putter is what sets this one apart for me. The Diamond has really helped me to reduce the number of low spin curve balls off the driver which has been great. Off the putter its great feeling - i would say similar to the "old" Pro V1, pretty soft for a tour ball.

Spin around the greens is great, I found it to be slightly less spinny on chips than a Callaway CSX but plenty of spin to go around. Flight of irons is "high" i would say - higher than CSX but with less spin in my opinion.

To me, ZSD is the ball I have to make the fewest compromises with...it's priced decently well and the quality and durability so far has been great.

If you are looking at other alternatives, I'd say Callaway CSX, Maxfli Tour (will be lower spin but feel is similar) and Bridgestone XS (will feel even softer off irons)

Thank you.!

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Long time XV user and have been reading up on this ball. Used the B2G1 deal to try them out. Hope they are as good as the XV! 

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

Tried the  diamond today for the first time, albeit in pretty windy conditions. Really nice ball flight, not too dissimilar to the Snell MTB X or Vice Pro Plus I've been gaming lately. Lots of nice bite on my approach shots into the greens, not really a big backspin  compared the the Kirkland OG 4 piece, which has the most backup spin of the balls I've played with. A little shorter off the driver into the wind compared to the Snell MTB X, which is the best wind ball I've ever played. Durability was on point, played the whole round with one, and just had a slight scuff from a cart path bounce on a big drive. Will post results on a less windy day to really give it a good going over. Really nice ball.

• Thanks 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

I found that the ball wants to hold its line in the wind however for me it was definitely shorter than the prov1 left dash. I spin the ball quite a bit off most clubs so I dont mind a little spin loss, especially off the driver.  Both balls bully their way through the wind for me with a high flight. I do find that the mid-game spin of the srixon is good because on lower strikes or strikes where I miss the center but the ball still flys straight, the ball maintains enough spin to stay in the air. Sometimes with the left dash I found low strikes came out hot but with much lower spin. 

The only thing that bothered me about this ball is actually putting with it. I am not sure if the ball is too soft compared to what I am used to with a standard proV1 but I really struggled to putt this ball. Given the same stroke I would give a Prov1 I constantly came up short, so I had to hit it harder which through off my stroke and led to flying some by. When I use firmer balls like the Prov1 left dash or CSX LS I don't have any issues.

Maybe I am more sensitive to putter feel than I anticipated but the softness of the ball which is great on other clubs really started to bother me with the flat stick. Planned to play this ball all year, however, if I cannot get the putting feel down, I may look at the left dash.

More testing required 

Edited by Flip4000
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Flip4000 said:

I found that the ball wants to hold its line in the wind however for me it was definitely shorter than the prov1 left dash. I spin the ball quite a bit off most clubs so I dont mind a little spin loss, especially off the driver.  Both balls bully their way through the wind for me with a high flight. I do find that the mid-game spin of the srixon is good because on lower strikes or strikes where I miss the center but the ball still flys straight, the ball maintains enough spin to stay in the air. Sometimes with the left dash I found low strikes came out hot but with much lower spin. 

The only thing that bothered me about this ball is actually putting with it. I am not sure if the ball is too soft compared to what I am used to with a standard proV1 but I really struggled to putt this ball. Given the same stroke I would give a Prov1 I constantly came up short, so I had to hit it harder which through off my stroke and led to flying some by. When I use firmer balls like the Prov1 left dash or CSX LS I don't have any issues.

Maybe I am more sensitive to putter feel than I anticipated but the softness of the ball which is great on other clubs really started to bother me with the flat stick. Planned to play this ball all year, however, if I cannot get the putting feel down, I may look at the left dash.

More testing required 

I know what you mean, I was using a phantom x 5.5 and the diamond almost felt too soft like a prov1, went back to my terrylium  faced scotty and now diamond feels just like how a prov1X feels off my phantom. I like to hear some click off the putter for feedback but nothing too loud. it's a great ball, I think it's worth it to try different putters to get the right sound and not give up all the other attributes. 

• Like 1

Tried the Diamond this past weekend. Normally game with Vice Pro Plus.

Did anyone else find it feeling a little dead off the driver and fairway woods? Kind felt like a dull thud and a was hair shorter compared to the VPP (5-10 yards max)..

Otherwise I had no issues with irons and short wedges as far as feel and performance

TaylorMade Sim2 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S

TaylorMade Sim TI 15 - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-S

TaylorMade Gapr Lo 19 - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8HB-S

Titleist T200 4-5 - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 S

Titleist T100 6-PW - Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Titleist Vokey SM8 - 50.08F, 54.10S, 60.14K - Nippon NS Pro 950GH R

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Vice Pro Plus

The Z Star DIamond doesn't seem to be available for Srixon's Father's Day Special (3 for 2)....

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

19 minutes ago, njlam said:

The Z Star DIamond doesn't seem to be available for Srixon's Father's Day Special (3 for 2)....

If you can find them in stores they will honor it 

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Dick's seems to be out.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2022 at 9:58 AM, Viper4225 said:

Thanks for the info! Sounds like Crossfield said Diamond feels more like XV than it does Z Star.  

The Diamond feel softer than the XV for sure. 

Ping - G425 max dr, w/alta cb slate 

Ping - G425 max 5 wd & hy, w/alta cb red

Srixon - ZX MKii Utility, 4ut, w/UST recoil  

Srixon - ZX5 MKii 5i & ZX7 MKii 6-PW, w/SG s300

Titleist - Vokey SM9, 52.12°F, 56.12°D, 60.12°D w/DG s200

Scotty Cameron - Custom Phantom x5.5

Bridgestone - Tour B XS

• 3 weeks later...

Got a sleeve of the diamond today.  Was very impressed.  For me it was actually better than the pro v1.  Very hard to believe.  It had as much stopping power with short iron and wedges and hit some drives that were the longest of the year.  Also seemed  easy to flight up and down.  Was so impressed went into the pro shop and got a dozen.  1 round doesn’t mean a bunch but impressive non the less 

• Like 4

I'll be picking up a box of these to try. Been playing 2017 z star and xv for a few years, went through a 24pk of the new xv as well.

I like the feel and spin of the z star and the flight of the xv. Hopefully it's a bit of a combo between the 2 for me.

Edit. Ended up getting a sleeve of ◇. Liking the feel off the putter so far. Going to put them into play tomorrow morning, got a fresh sleeve of 2017 xv with me just incase lol.

Edited by Bobb3rdown

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron