ZX5 Question (Thinking about Switching to ZX7)

Bsudgolf

Does the Lofts on the ZX5 really make a big difference over the ZX7? I'm kinda wondering if I may should have went with the Traditional lofts of the ZX7. I don't have any trouble getting the ball up at all and I'm a pretty solid ball striker. I'm wondering if those Strong lofts may hurt me?

Edited by Bsudgolf

51 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

I'm wondering if those Strong lofts may hurt me?

What specifically are you worried about?

If you have good clubhead speed and can launch the ball well, you can handle the stronger lofts.

Only problem would be if the ZX5 irons tend to have hot-spot faces, and end up giving a lot of distance dispersion for each club.

If 6i carries 155-170, and the 7i 145-160, and the 8i 135-150 you end up with a pretty mushy yardstick. A flippy 6i and a hot 8i would carry about the same distance.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

41 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

What specifically are you worried about?

If you have good clubhead speed and can launch the ball well, you can handle the stronger lofts.

Only problem would be if the ZX5 irons tend to have hot-spot faces, and end up giving a lot of distance dispersion for each club.

If 6i carries 155-170, and the 7i 145-160, and the 8i 135-150 you end up with a pretty mushy yardstick. A flippy 6i and a hot 8i would carry about the same distance.

Really my only worry Is I'm already a high ball hitter, So just not sure how those strong lofts will play into that

I got fitted for ZX5’s earlier this year, but I’ve ended up preferring the ZX7’s.

I find the feel is much better in the ZX7’s, and the control and turf interaction is fantastic for me. For whatever reason, I haven’t gotten along as well with the ZX5’s. I tried a combo set originally with ZX5 4-6, and ZX7 7-PW, but I replaced the 6-iron with a ZX7, dropped the 4-iron, and am most likely getting a ZX7 5-Iron to replace the last ZX5 in my set.

Everyone’s swing and game are different, but I find the ZX7 just as forgiving as the ZX5, and the feel and consistency are better for me personally. Maybe just the thicker sole that doesn’t work as well, but that’s just my .02

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

8 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

I got fitted for ZX5’s earlier this year, but I’ve ended up preferring the ZX7’s.

I find the feel is much better in the ZX7’s, and the control and turf interaction is fantastic for me. For whatever reason, I haven’t gotten along as well with the ZX5’s. I tried a combo set originally with ZX5 4-6, and ZX7 7-PW, but I replaced the 6-iron with a ZX7, dropped the 4-iron, and am most likely getting a ZX7 5-Iron to replace the last ZX5 in my set.

Everyone’s swing and game are different, but I find the ZX7 just as forgiving as the ZX5, and the feel and consistency are better for me personally. Maybe just the thicker sole that doesn’t work as well, but that’s just my .02

What kind of Game do you have? I could probably get my order switched to the zx7 as they told me it would be around 2 weeks for them to ship. If I did get it switched everything would be the exact same as I ordered in the zx5 only I would be switching to the 7s

• Bsudgolf changed the title to ZX5 Question (Thinking about Switching to ZX7)
5 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

I’m a 6’7 former Basketball/Football player who came back to Golf in June ‘20 after over 10yrs away from the game.

My Handicap is currently 8.4 and over the last 18mths I’ve owned TM Tour Preferred MC/MB’s (‘14), P770 (‘17), P790 (‘19), and Srixon Z785, and the current ZX5/ZX7 combo set.

I think what I’ve realized over that time is I much prefer the feel and control of CB or Blade type clubs, and I don’t hit thicker soled clubs as well. To me, a mishit is a mishit no matter how thick a club head is, but the accuracy, control, and feel of a nice CB just works better for me and my swing. I should also mention that I’m a sweeper.

At the end of the day though, it’s all about what works best for you, and just because the ZX7’s work better for me doesn’t mean the ZX5’s can’t be fantastic for you.

I'm similar in a way, I play to about a 10 Currently and I'm a shallow Divot player as well. With my research on these clubs there's not really a lot of difference outside of the Lofts. Other than the ZX5 having a little but wider sole which really doesn't bother me that much as long as the Top line is thin. I am approaching the the Ole 50 age lol. My swing has slowed just a bit as my back isn't the best in world. My health was really what took me to the ZX5 as I thought a tad more forgiveness would help.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

I'm similar in a way, I play to about a 10 Currently and I'm a shallow Divot player as well. With my research on these clubs there's not really a lot of difference outside of the Lofts. Other than the ZX5 having a little but wider sole which really doesn't bother me that much as long as the Top line is thin. I am approaching the the Ole 50 age lol. My swing has slowed just a bit as my back isn't the best in world. My health was really what took me to the ZX5 as I thought a tad more forgiveness would help.

Totally understand. At the end of the day, if you have the ability to get fitted and test both out, that would be my recommendation.

Guys on WRX used to tell me that when I was looking for advice, and it used to frustrate me because all the fitters were closed due to COVID, and once they re-opened they all had massive waiting lists. But I got fitted for irons, Driver, and putter this year and the information/knowledge I took away from all those fittings have been a game-changer for me.

• Like 3

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 minute ago, BallerNate said:

Totally understand. At the end of the day, if you have the ability to get fitted and test both out, that would be my recommendation.

Guys on WRX used to tell me that when I was looking for advice, and it used to frustrate me because all the fitters were closed due to COVID, and once they re-opened they all had massive waiting lists. But I got fitted for irons, Driver, and putter this year and the information/knowledge I took away from all those fittings have been a game-changer for me.

I've been playing golf for 30yrs and I have never not once been fitted. I've always bought right off the Shelf and I use to play to Scratch. Had to lay off about 3yrs due to health and I'm just now getting back to Single digits. I use to play four times a week, now I do good to play 4 times a month

1 minute ago, Bsudgolf said:

I've been playing golf for 30yrs and I have never not once been fitted. I've always bought right off the Shelf and I use to play to Scratch. Had to lay off about 3yrs due to health and I'm just now getting back to Single digits. I use to play four times a week, now I do good to play 4 times a month

Well, sounds like you have lots of experience with what your preferred shafts and specs etc should be. From what I understand of fittings though, recommendations change as your game and your swing change, which it sounds like they have.

For me personally, I was wasting money guessing what clubs and shafts would work for me, then wasting more money getting them lengthened and bent to specs that also didn’t fit.

But you have to do what’s best for you, and no one knows your game like you.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

5 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Well, sounds like you have lots of experience with what your preferred shafts and specs etc should be. From what I understand of fittings though, recommendations change as your game and your swing change, which it sounds like they have.

For me personally, I was wasting money guessing what clubs and shafts would work for me, then wasting more money getting them lengthened and bent to specs that also didn’t fit.

But you have to do what’s best for you, and no one knows your game like you.

Yep totally understand. It can be frustrating at times. Regardless if I go ahead and get the ZX5  or the 7 I don't think I can go wrong with either as the both seem like Awesome irons!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

Yep totally understand. It can be frustrating at times. Regardless if I go ahead and get the ZX5  or the 7 I don't think I can go wrong with either as the both seem like Awesome irons!

Yup, agreed…both awesome clubs for sure and just comes down to personal preference!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

18 hours ago, eht8266 said:

For the 10 HCs and above - how have the zx7s worked for you? It sounds like the 4-6 in the zx5s and 7-P zx7s is a fairly common combo setup for players of all levels.

For me (a shakey 12), they've been AMAZING. They tick ALL the boxes. Looks, feel, performance. Seriously. Best sticks I've ever owned, but my current set of zx7's starts at the 8-iron (8-PW). Standing over them, I can't immediately tell the difference between the zx5 and zx7 at address so the difference is all in my head...and unfortunately, that's where it all matters sometimes.

I'm on a GI club experiment right now tho, because I'm curious and well, this IS GolfWRX, right? I had set of Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metals for 2rds that couldn't beat out the Srixons (feel wasn't even close, looks were a downgrade and performance was on par w/ current set). Took advantage of the PXG sale on 0211DC's and will get them out for 9 holes this morning. Also have a new set of zx5's on the way to see just how those perform for me vs the zx7's in the scoring irons.

Golf is fun. Expensive, but fun. 🙂

Edited by rondre3000
  • Like 3

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Actually I just got off the Phone and they are changing my set to the combo. I'm going with the ZX5 5-6 iron and then my 7-PW in the ZX7. Since I am a High ball hitter already I just honestly feel like this will be the ultimate setup for me. Those ZX7 in short irons should help me keep the ball down just a bit. I was hesitant on changing them but I thought about it all day yesterday. And after watching YouTube videos. I felt I should go Combo. I'm excited for my new irons. Also got a New Z585 Driver coming today.

• Like 2

I have played a combo set of ZX5 and ZX7's for a full season after playing the 585/785 combo for two years (0-1 index). I actually started the season with all ZX 7's PW-4 because the ZX7 was so forgiving (585/785 I played 4-6 in 585s, 7-P in 785s), but a few months in decided to add ZX5s in 4 and 5 iron for a little more launch and softer landings in the long irons. My ZX7's were ordered a degree strong (not for more distance but because that is what had the best spin rates with the shafts I got). I worked through my set using a launch monitor to gap my entire set and get appropriate yardage gaps (did it first with ZX7;s and some irons needed a tweak a degree or so in either direction), I also did this with my ZX5's when I replaced my 4-5 ZX7 irons with them.

I think overall the ZX7's in my set are generally a degree stronger than standard and the ZX5's are about a degree weaker than standard, and my gapping is pretty solid. 

Edited by Long Shot
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

10 hours ago, eht8266 said:

For the 10 HCs and above - how have the zx7s worked for you? It sounds like the 4-6 in the zx5s and 7-P zx7s is a fairly common combo setup for players of all levels.

I'm currently an 11 HC.  Honestly, I enjoy the 7i-5i the most in the zx7s.  6i is probably my favorite Zx7 in the bag... long and laser straight.

• Like 1

FWIW I hit the ZX7s better than the ZX5s. In my mind blending the set was kind of an automatic thing, but the numbers said otherwise. I think when people look at blending clubs like these and PXG T/P sets the offset winds up being overlooked. It's more of a pronounced difference with the PXG clubs, but if you tend to miss with a hook then I don't expect the ZX5 will be "more forgiving" in real life. At least, that's what the case is for me. Best of luck, and make sure you get the lie angles right on the ZX clubs. I could be wrong, but it seems like the V-sole and notches make that more important.  

• Like 1

I am extremely happy with my ZX5 6-AW.  I never really looked at the ZX7's or a combo.  I'm 65 yrs old and am a middle single digit handicap.  I have not experienced the hot face issue some claim with the ZX5.  They are very consistent.  You really can't go wrong with either or a combination.  It comes down to personal preference.  

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

You know Srixon made a great set of clubs when these types of discussions are going on. Everyone seems to love both sets and are saying whichever combo set works for you that u will love. 

For me I still have my 765/565 combo will i love but if i had to do all over again, i would have have gotten a full set of 765, they are just that good. 

I have only had the chance to demo the zx5 and love it, but im sure the zx7 is just as awesome. Great problem to have and solve

• Like 2

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

5 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

You know Srixon made a great set of clubs when these types of discussions are going on. Everyone seems to love both sets and are saying whichever combo set works for you that u will love. 

For me I still have my 765/565 combo will i love but if i had to do all over again, i would have have gotten a full set of 765, they are just that good. 

I have only had the chance to demo the zx5 and love it, but im sure the zx7 is just as awesome. Great problem to have and solve

Agree and the reason I decided to change my order is mainly due to the stronger lofts of the ZX5. I liked the more Traditional loft numbers of the ZX7. I got combo with the ZX5 5 and 6 irons because of just that little bit more forgiveness of those longer clubs. I could have just kept the full set of ZX5’S and I'm sure they would have been great. But the more I thought about it, I think changing to the split set like I did will benefit me

I wouldn't exactly call the ZX7 lofts more 'traditional'. They are 1° weaker than the ZX5 in 5-8 and 2° weaker in the 9 and PW. Traditional lofts are 4° weaker than the ZX5. 

• Like 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

13 hours ago, eht8266 said:

I'm at a 10-11 and have that exact combo, with the 7s bent 1 degree strong.  I'd buy the exact same setup if I had to do it again.  The 4-6 def have a bit more pop, but I think that's more to do with the construction rather than loft.  Distances are consistent across all the clubs, no problem whatsoever holding greens (with the KBS Tour 120S they're an ideal mid/high flight, mid/high spin iron for me) feel is fantastic and forgiveness is better than it should be for the occasional trash swing that plagues this midcapper.

3 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

Well said...Srixon hit a Home Run with both for sure!!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

It's funny, but I chose the ZX5 over the ZX7 and didn't go combo as I didn't like the shape of the ZX7 pw. Both great performing irons, just the sound of the ZX5 is so addictive...just keeps you wanting to hit more balls.

Edited by vman
  • Like 2

Whatever works.

If i lost some speed and i was in the market for some power bats , the zx5 would be at the top of the list. Them and the new p790

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

1 hour ago, vman said:

It's funny, but I chose the ZX5 over the ZX7 and didn't go combo as I didn't like the shape of the ZX7 pw. Both great performing irons, just the sound of the ZX5 is so addictive...just keeps you wanting to hit more balls.

Me too- I saw a combo set in person and I preferred the look of the ZX5's. I haven't experienced any crazy power episodes either. I will say though that coming from my i200's it took a minute to recalibrate carry distances. The ZX5's are rocket launchers. I had the 765's and they were plenty forgiving for me, so I assumed I was going to get the ZX7's but I love my 5's ALOT, like ALOT

• Like 1

why didnt u get the zx7? i love my 765 also

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X