2022 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Argonne69

15 hours ago, 18majors said:

This is a "Must Read" article about Alexa Pano:

A refreshed Alexa Pano embarks on 2022

pano.jpg

Alexa Pano kinda reminds me of the actress Olivia Munn in this photo
Good to see that she is refreshed and ready to take on new challenges... the tour pro's life is a grind, and if she's not mentally-prepared, the grind could feel unsustainable (i think even InGee Chun suffered from bouts of depression soon after joining the LPGA? )

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

Alexa Pano kinda reminds me of the actress Olivia Munn in this photo

Unlike Olivia, Alexa is a big girl; at least 5'11".

Like Lexi Thompson, Alexa is well prepared for tour life; she's been living under the spotlight since 8 years old.  The only question is whether her work ethic and talent lives up to the expectation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

This answers some questions, but not entirely:

Why Dallas/Fort Worth is the place so many LPGA players are calling home

1647801446746.jpeg

"When their schedules lined up, the trio ventured to the Northwood Shopping Mall near downtown, shopping at Lululemon and other stores. They'd cook dinner together afterward, making Oh's mother's Shabu-shabu, a Japanese hotpot dish, and other Korean food. The simplest memories were the happiest for Ryu, who recently moved out of Dallas after living there for five years." 

Other Stores for Ryu = Cartier, etc ... she got exquisite taste 🤑

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supermilo said:

"When their schedules lined up, the trio ventured to the Northwood Shopping Mall near downtown, shopping at Lululemon and other stores. They'd cook dinner together afterward, making Oh's mother's Shabu-shabu, a Japanese hotpot dish, and other Korean food. The simplest memories were the happiest for Ryu, who recently moved out of Dallas after living there for five years." 

Other Stores for Ryu = Cartier, etc ... she got exquisite taste 🤑

I believe Yealimi Noh also just moved to Dallas.

5 hours ago, 18majors said:

Meghan is pragmatic, her dream of LPGA through Epson Tour isn't going nowhere:

Great example of what I said on the last page. 

"Honestly, part of me thinks most of those girls know they don't have the game for the LPGA and they're ok with that. Of course this is my opinion and purely speculation but some of them seem content stopping,shopping and eating their way across some pretty sweet places in between rounds of mediocre golf."

Good luck Meghan!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, postfold said:

Check out that spread that Lucky6 prepared, WOW!  Didn't know I needed to follow LPGA food instagrams but I guess I do.

ETA:  Also learned that So Yeon moved, don't recall reading that.  

Yeah, i thought SoYeon was still in Dallas, until you highlighted it. This GolfChannel article (from Nov 2021) mentions a move from Dallas to Las Vegas.

Quote: "So Yeon Ryu, who is planning a move from Dallas to Las Vegas this winter": https://www.golfchannel.com/news/what-would-you-do-15-million-lpga-players-share-wish-lists

Another article (also Nov 2021) mentions InGee Chun's move to Dallas: "In Gee Chun hung out for years in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, with a family she befriended during the 2015 U.S. Women’s Open. It wasn’t until just over a year ago that Chun bought a house in Dallas, near Sei Young Kim and So Yeon Ryu.
https://www.lpga.com/news/2021/scenery-and-shafts-move-maguire-close-to-the-top 

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, postfold said:

Check out that spread that Lucky6 prepared, WOW!  Didn't know I needed to follow LPGA food instagrams but I guess I do.

ETA:  Also learned that So Yeon moved, don't recall reading that.  

Before covid the Jutanugarn's food Instagram was second to none. 

So Inbee, NYC and DK talked So Yeon into moving? 

An idea is germinating in my mind, thought I would table it here for you fine folks (and the rest of you..ha ha).

Simply, Ash Barty will be Australia's next winner of a GOLF major - she has retired from tennis to play pro golf.

Consider:

1. She is an amazingly talented athlete, with hand-eye co-ordination at an 'elite elite' level. Lots of stories about her as a junior in Australia but in summary she is regarded as a once in a generation SPORTS talent.
  2. When she took her first break from tennis as a teenager she played pro cricket in Australia not having ever played organised cricket previously. Did ok, too for just her first (and so far) only season. Massive potential in that sport, too.
  3. She is an excellent golfer having won the women's club championship at the Brookwater GC in Brisbane (championship course - I've played there). Her father represented Queensland and Australia in amateur golf. Her mother represented Queensland in amateur golf. So she is already a fine player with a family pedigree.
  4. Her Fiancé Garry Kissick (a Liverpool football club supporter - agh) is an Aussie golf pro.
  5.  Bought a membership at the uber-exclusive and reclusive Cathedral golf club just out of Melbourne. Very strange, for she lives in Brisbane but she has indigenous (=Aboriginal) heritage and her people broadly come from that part of Australia. Maybe she is going to base herself out of there?
  6. Nelly Korda and Simona Halep have already tweeted about Ash now playing golf.
  7. She is only 25 years old.

She won't be chasing $ as she has already made US$24m in tennis prizemoney plus whatever endorsement income, so the prizemoney disparity between women's tennis and golf won't deter her plus her current wealth gives her the freedom to chase whatever dream she wants.

She is of course very comfortable performing under pressure in pro sport.

Would be fascinating for her to get a wildcard for an LPGA event or two - what a media boost that will be (Mollie, please pay attention).

Note that she has 514k Instagram followers, even more than Nelly's 484k (just for your benefit @18majors 😉).

See the source image

• Like 3

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

16 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

An idea is germinating in my mind, thought I would table it here for you fine folks (and the rest of you..ha ha).

Simply, Ash Barty will be Australia's next winner of a GOLF major - she has retired from tennis to play pro golf.

Consider:

1. She is an amazingly talented athlete, with hand-eye co-ordination at an 'elite elite' level. Lots of stories about her as a junior in Australia but in summary she is regarded as a once in a generation SPORTS talent.
  2. When she took her first break from tennis as a teenager she played pro cricket in Australia not having ever played organised cricket previously. Did ok, too for just her first (and so far) only season. Massive potential in that sport, too.
  3. She is an excellent golfer having won the women's club championship at the Brookwater GC in Brisbane (championship course - I've played there). Her father represented Queensland and Australia in amateur golf. Her mother represented Queensland in amateur golf. So she is already a fine player with a family pedigree.
  4. Her Fiancé Garry Kissick (a Liverpool football club supporter - agh) is an Aussie golf pro.
  5.  Bought a membership at the uber-exclusive and reclusive Cathedral golf club just out of Melbourne. Very strange, for she lives in Brisbane but she has indigenous (=Aboriginal) heritage and her people broadly come from that part of Australia. Maybe she is going to base herself out of there?
  6. Nelly Korda and Simona Halep have already tweeted about Ash now playing golf.

She won't be chasing $ as she has already made US$24m in tennis prizemoney plus whatever endorsement income, so the prizemoney disparity between women's tennis and golf won't deter her plus her current wealth gives her the freedom to chase whatever dream she wants.

Would be fascinating for her to get a wildcard for an LPGA event or two - what a media boost that will be (Mollie, please pay attention).

Note that she has 514k Instagram followers, even more than Nelly's 484k (just for your benefit @18majors 😉).

See the source image

@Rapidcat My initial reaction = was that you were "out to lunch" w.r.t. this prediction...

...B-b-but! Strewth, you might be onto something with this one!
(p/s: Is @Rapidcat 's alter ego = "Max Schreiber" i.e. the writer of this GolfChannel prediction?

Looks like Ash Barty has a decent golf swing too! (better than Rafael Nadal!)

What's the "WAFL" that Rennae Stubbs is predicting, in her statement with Ash Barty will pursue either "golf or WAFL"? women's footie? #YNWA! 🙂 )

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Rapidcat My initial reaction = was that you were "out to lunch" w.r.t. this prediction...

...B-b-but! Strewth, you might be onto something with this one!
(p/s: Is @Rapidcat 's alter ego = "Max Schreiber" i.e. the writer of this GolfChannel prediction?

Looks like Ash Barty has a decent golf swing too! (better than Rafael Nadal!)

What's the "WAFL" that Rennae Stubbs is predicting, in her statement with Ash Barty will pursue either "golf or WAFL"? women's footie? #YNWA! 🙂 )

I hadn't seen any of those articles about what Ash might do next, I guess it isn't rocket science to say that it could be golf.

Yes, WAFL is women's Aussies Rules football and she is a big fan of one of the big AFL clubs - the Richmond Tigers (she presented their last premiership cup when they won a couple of seasons ago).

'What will Ash do next?' will be a discussion topic over here for some time.

Whilst that "The Age' article you posted quotes her as saying golf is just a hobby, the kicker could be that her fiancé Garry is a pro (club pro rather than touring pro) and its maybe something they could do together with Garry as Ash's caddie, tour the world. Those two are really close and she seems to perform better when he is with her.

Despite her lovely, friendly personality, her desire to compete and her will to win is so pronounced that it just seems inevitable that at 25 yo she will turn her hand to some other sport as she's now bored/burned out with tennis.

On the other hand, maybe she wants to start a family, could be that simple.

If I was a sponsor of a golf event, I'd be exploring a wildcard for her.

Edited by Rapidcat
  • Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

8 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

I hadn't seen any of those articles about what Ash might do next, I guess it isn't rocket science to say that it could be golf.

Yes, WAFL is women's Aussies Rules football and she is a big fan of one of the big AFL clubs - the Richmond Tigers (she presented their last premiership cup when they won a couple of seasons ago).

'What will Ash do next?' will be a discussion topic over here for some time.

Whilst that "The Age' article you posted quotes her as saying golf is just a hobby, the kicker could be that her fiancé Garry is a pro (club pro rather than touring pro) and its maybe something they could do together with Garry as Ash's caddie, tour the world. Those two are really close and she seems to perform better when he is with her.

Despite her lovely, friendly personality, her desire to compete and her will to win is so pronounced that it just seems inevitable that at 25 yo she will turn her hand to some other sport as she's now bored/burned out with tennis.

On the other hand, maybe she wants to start a family, could be that simple.

If I was a sponsor of a golf event, I'd be exploring a wildcard for her.

I doubt Ash Barty will trade the grind of the pro tennis 🎾 tour, for the LPGA 

…But! Am guessing she will enjoy a few pro-Am invites / one-off sponsor exemptions to try competing with the top LPGA pros.

There’s certainly still a huge gap with her as-is golf ability vs the top LPGA pros. 

2 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

I doubt Ash Barty will trade the grind of the pro tennis 🎾 tour, for the LPGA 

…But! Am guessing she will enjoy a few pro-Am invites / one-off sponsor exemptions to try competing with the top LPGA pros.

There’s certainly still a huge gap with her as-is golf ability vs the top LPGA pros. 

True - can she eliminate that gap? Maybe.

As an event sponsor, you will be after a return on your $ investment plus a desire to help women's golf. Think of all the extra, new eyes and interest at an event with Ash as a sponsor's invitee, it's got to generate a greater return for the sponsor and draw some new fans to women's golf.

Also, it may just grab Ash's interest into giving pro golf a proper go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

True - can she eliminate that gap? Maybe.

As an event sponsor, you will be after a return on your $ investment plus a desire to help women's golf. Think of all the extra, new eyes and interest at an event with Ash as a sponsor's invitee, it's got to generate a greater return for the sponsor and draw some new fans to women's golf.

Also, it may just grab Ash's interest into giving pro golf a proper go.

Ash Barty’s official golf handicap (sept 2020) =3.9 … per this Link: 

https://www.whywelovegolf.com/golf-wiki/ash-barty-golf-handicap

@Rapidcat: Guessing you might have access to the Aussie national handicap database, to see if this 3.9hcp is still valid?

It might start discussions such as “could a 4 hcp beat an LPGA pro?” 😬🚫🤬

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JungleJimbo said:

Ash Barry’s official golf handicap (sept 2020) =3.9 … per this Link: 

https://www.whywelovegolf.com/golf-wiki/ash-barty-golf-handicap

@Rapidcat: Guessing you might have access to the Aussie national handicap database, to see if this 3.9hcp is still valid?

It might start discussions such as “could a 4 hcp beat an LPGA pro?” 😬🚫🤬

😄

Yeah, I'm not coming from a position that she can be competitive in the golf pro scene now, if she played she probably would miss the cut and likely be in the bottom few, may even be last, so maybe Ash would just hate to go through that but that wasn't an issue when she took on cricket with no real background in it, she just threw herself in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Consider:

See the source image

Well only time will tell.  I remember a certain G.O.A.T. trying a different sport -- one that he excelled at earlier in life.   More times than not, these do not work out . . . with perhaps the exceptions being "Bo Knows" and "Neon Deion".  

e64b7d3cbac5a79b606903288cf5f829

The highlight of his MLB career was this game ... am Exhibition game between the ChiSox and the Cubs for Windy City bragging rights (and MJ being an athlete could swing a bat and throw a ball): 

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Well only time will tell.  I remember a certain G.O.A.T. trying a different sport -- one that he excelled at earlier in life.   More times than not, these do not work out . . . with perhaps the exceptions being "Bo Knows" and "Neon Deion".  

e64b7d3cbac5a79b606903288cf5f829

I knew someone would bring this up but really, they are quite different IMO - MJ did his baseball thing at 30 with little background in the sport whilst Ash is 25 and already has a decent golf standard and pedigree.

However, I concede Ash becoming an elite golfer is a stretch.....but what an idea.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

Consider:

See the source image

You just described Tony Romo, with less of a golf pedigree.  But if Ash can get  a multi-million $ deal to broadcast the NFL, it should help with the costs of the Epson tour lol.  Also, if it ever does happen, she better have to Monday qualify or go to q-school, Jordan did have to start in the minors after all 🙂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stooch said:

You just described Tony Romo, with less of a golf pedigree.  But if Ash can get  a multi-million $ deal to broadcast the NFL, it should help with the costs of the Epson tour lol.  Also, if it ever does happen, she better have to Monday qualify or go to q-school, Jordan did have to start in the minors after all 🙂

Time to look around the world around you when Brooke took the week off!  😄

• Like 2

It’s not inconceivable she could maybe play professionally some day. The best example of a woman switching from another sport to golf is obviously Babe Zaharias; Olympic medalist in track & field to 10 majors. More recently there’s Kristýna Napoleaová on the LET after switching from football. Being the next Aussie to win a major might be a stretch. 

• Like 2