Lydia Ko New Equipment Deal (***MERGED***)

ewaldbeukes

1 hour ago, Chopper Dave said:

Another coach bites the dust

Another non story. Sheesh. Pros swap coaches all the time. Lydia parts ways with Sean and it's a big deal? Hardly. 

I hear she's considering swapping her driver for an old persimmon one. 

• Haha 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Another non story. Sheesh. Pros swap coaches all the time. Lydia parts ways with Sean and it's a big deal? Hardly. 

Presumably Sean Foley has friends in the Golf media, who are trying to discretely get “his side” of the story out there? (and also “advertise” his availability/ credentials/contribution to Lydia Ko’s resurgence?)

Beth Ann Nichols’ video interview on Lydia Ko’s split with Sean Foley. 

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/beth-ann-nichols-stunned-lydia-ko-parting-ways-coach-sean-foley

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/10/30/lydia-ko-golf-instructor-sean-foley-part-ways/

Edited by JungleJimbo

11 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Presumably Sean Foley has friends in the Golf media, who are trying to discretely get “his side” of the story out there? (and also “advertise” his availability/ credentials/contribution to Lydia Ko’s resurgence?)

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/beth-ann-nichols-stunned-lydia-ko-parting-ways-coach-sean-foley

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/10/30/lydia-ko-golf-instructor-sean-foley-part-ways/

I'm surprised people aren't "very worried" (joking, joking) since it's usually the coach's fault when things go down the toilet.  But it's all the player when things go right?  Maybe it's the player swinging the club in both cases...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

Careful, someone might consider this a big deal.

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

On 10/31/2022 at 6:33 PM, Argonne69 said:

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Sean as a long term coach.  He's great for a player looking to reset or make sweeping changes.  But I've criticized him before for tinkering so much that it can get into a player's head with all his feel points and thoughts.

Coaches like Butch and Jimmy, in my opinion, were better at sustaining players.  While both had radically different swing designs, their methods were the same.  Find your baseline.  Make small tweaks for flight and consistency, then work on repeatability. 

Just an old guy's $0.02 worth.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Sean as a long term coach.  He's great for a player looking to reset or make sweeping changes.  But I've criticized him before for tinkering so much that it can get into a player's head with all his feel points and thoughts.

Coaches like Butch and Jimmy, in my opinion, were better at sustaining players.  While both had radically different swing designs, their methods were the same.  Find your baseline.  Make small tweaks for flight and consistency, then work on repeatability. 

Just an old guy's $0.02 worth.  

Genuine question... “Jimmy” = Jim McLean, I’m guessing? 

Edited by JungleJimbo

23 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Genuine question... “Jimmy” = Jim McLean, I’m guessing? 

I was referring to Jimmy Ballard.  Jim McLean's technique is different from Foley's in concept, but is also full of positions and feels and thoughts.  His hip/shoulder differential was tough on the lower back, unless the player was really flexible.  

Ballard did wonders for a lot of older tour players with his "flowing connected" swing.  But it took away distance in exchange for pain-free consistency.  He had a run in the late '80's that really produced some winners.

I am not a swing coach and never played one on TV.  But I was the guy trying to pick up the pieces on the course when all the points and thoughts and positions started getting in the way of actually striking the golf ball.

I much preferred the coaches that kept things simple.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OnTheBag said:

I was referring to Jimmy Ballard.  Jim McLean's technique is different from Foley's in concept, but is also full of positions and feels and thoughts.  His hip/shoulder differential was tough on the lower back, unless the player was really flexible.  

Ballard did wonders for a lot of older tour players with his "flowing connected" swing.  But it took away distance in exchange for pain-free consistency.  He had a run in the late '80's that really produced some winners.

I am not a swing coach and never played one on TV.  But I was the guy trying to pick up the pieces on the course when all the points and thoughts and positions started getting in the way of actually striking the golf ball.

I much preferred the coaches that kept things simple.

thanks @OnTheBag

"Paying it forward" via sharing this Link, for folks interested.

https://www.golfwrx.com/26154/the-ballad-of-jimmy-ballard-golfs-most-underrated-teacher/

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

thanks @OnTheBag

"Paying it forward" via sharing this Link, for folks interested.

https://www.golfwrx.com/26154/the-ballad-of-jimmy-ballard-golfs-most-underrated-teacher/

Thanks to you @JungleJimbo.  An excerpt from the OP in that thread rings true to what I was trying to relay above.

In contrast, every other lesson I had ended in me riding home with my head spinning trying to remember what I was taught and wondering how I would be able to process and hold on to the information.

My failing and cloudy memory still recalls a conversation I had on the course once, with a talented young lady who was struggling with all the instruction.............I looked at her and said, "Just hit the damn ball."  With all the garbage in her head, she forgot the most important aspect of this game.  That it's supposed to be fun!

Edited by OnTheBag
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, OnTheBag said:

Thanks to you @JungleJimbo.  An excerpt from the OP in that thread rings true to what I was trying to relay above.

In contrast, every other lesson I had ended in me riding home with my head spinning trying to remember what I was taught and wondering how I would be able to process and hold on to the information.

My failing and cloudy memory still recalls a conversation I had on the course once, with a talented young lady who was struggling with all the instruction.............I looked at her and said, "Just hit the damn ball."  With all the garbage in her head, she forgot the most important aspect of this game.  That it's supposed to be fun!

Gawd, this thread is bringing back bad memories. Visions of Michelle and Lydia rehearsing the ridiculous A swing gives me the heebie jeebies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

Anyone have Lyds WITB for the CME.  She changes so much, would love to see what got her the win this past weekend.

Lydia Ko WITB 2022
Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9°, Kuro Kage shaft)

Fairway woods: Titleist TSi2 (15°) PXG 0341 X GEN2 (18°, Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6 S shaft)

Hybrids: Ping G425 (22°, Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 65 R1 shaft)

Irons: Titleist T200 (5) Proto Concept C07 (6) Proto Concept C05 (7-9, Aerotech FC 70 S shafts)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (46°, 48°, 54° & 58°, Aerotech FC 80 S shafts)

Putter: Scotty Cameron GSS

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Shoes: Ecco

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/lydia-ko-witb/#:~:text=Lydia Ko WITB 2022,Aerotech FC 70 S shafts)

• Like 3

On 11/22/2022 at 3:49 AM, RMGC_NV said:

Lydia Ko WITB 2022
Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9°, Kuro Kage shaft)

Fairway woods: Titleist TSi2 (15°) PXG 0341 X GEN2 (18°, Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6 S shaft)

Hybrids: Ping G425 (22°, Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 65 R1 shaft)

Irons: Titleist T200 (5) Proto Concept C07 (6) Proto Concept C05 (7-9, Aerotech FC 70 S shafts)

Putter: Scotty Cameron GSS

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Shoes: Ecco

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/lydia-ko-witb/#:~:text=Lydia Ko WITB 2022,Aerotech FC 70 S shafts)

Interesting Ko is carrying both a 46 and 48 degree wedge.

Interested GIF by reactionseditor

7 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

perhaps the 48* is weakened to a 49/50* e.g. to have more even gapping/  increase bounce?

50 degrees would definitely make much more sense to give the 4 degree gap increment.

L. Ko's wedge game is so good, she probably can take one wedge out and still be up there comfortably.

Edited by iBanesto
  • Like 1

Probably different grinds and bounces on the 46 and 48 for different scenarios.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

On 10/25/2022 at 12:22 AM, JungleJimbo said:

https://golfreviewsguide.com/lydia-ko-whats-in-the-bag/ 

(from google-search: "2 days ago — ... Club to win for the first time in South Korea, the country of her birth. ... What's In The Bag Lydia Ko (at the BMW Ladies Championship in October 2022).)

Isn't a detailed WITB & has some info gaps...

you might want to cross-check vs recent photos?

e.g. https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/lydia-ko?family=editorial&assettype=image&phrase=lydia ko&sort=best&recency=last7days 

What’s In The Bag Lydia Ko (at the BMW Ladies Championship in October 2022)

Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9 degrees)  

Woods: Titleist TSi2 (3-wood, 15 degrees) & PXG 0341 X GEN2 (5-wood, 18 degrees)

Hybrids: Ping G425 (22 degrees) 

Irons: Titleist T200 (5-iron) , Proto Concept C07 (6-iron) & Proto Concept C05 (7-iron to 9-iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 (46 degrees, 48 degrees, 54 degrees & 58 degrees)  

Putter: Scotty Cameron GSS

Ball: Titleist ProV1x  

I would love to hear why she dropped a hybrid and added a wedge. 

39 minutes ago, Steele47 said:

I am shocked he played the 99 Apex irons when he won.   Always thought he played the Channelbacks when he won in 97.

He did play the Channelbacks in his Open Championship victory. Commemorative or “inspired by” sets have been known to not match actual usage in the past 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 4:24 AM, SEP1006 said:

If it was a life/death situation and I had to pick one person from ANY TOUR to get up/down from 100 yards. It would be her for sure !!!!!!!!

Nah...

mjl.jpg.7ac6eca7ef886dcc18adbe2ed20b8292.jpg

• Like 2

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Unfortunately her putting is iffy. Even though Lydia isn't quite as accurate as Minjee, Lydia still led the tour in putts per GIR this year. Minjee ranked 33rd. Getting up and down also entails getting the ball in the hole.

Tragically true.  Minjee is as accurate as anyone on any tour, but the short stick consistency is what has caused her slumps.  I have some opinions on how to correct this.  However, I will keep those to myself.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, iBanesto said:

Not In System (otherwise in Western name order In System Not) are great putters but not as good as L. Ko of course.

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 1.14.10 am.png

LPGA.com website seems really buggy recently?

I had to google, to get to the "Strokes Gained: Putting" page (as the dropdowns weren't re-directing to the relevant page).

https://www.lpga.com/statistics/strokes-gained/strokes-gained----putting 

"Not in System" = a glitch in the system

... similar to "The Matrix" movie.
image.png.df19e9ec26d56afc5d588d04bb6944a9.png

Edited by JungleJimbo

3 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

Tragically true.  Minjee is as accurate as anyone on any tour, but the short stick consistency is what has caused her slumps.  I have some opinions on how to correct this.  However, I will keep those to myself.

Switch to a Mallet putter? (similar to Rory)

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Unfortunately her putting is iffy. Even though Lydia isn't quite as accurate as Minjee, Lydia still led the tour in putts per GIR this year. Minjee ranked 33rd. Getting up and down also entails getting the ball in the hole.

EXACTLY !!!!!!!

Sticking with Lydia.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag