Sony Open 2022

MattyO1984

16 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Well that wasn't the smartest play. If you are laying up short then lay up. I am guessing he thinks he can draw 3W better, but the shot on the 72nd hole was not close to a draw swing.  On the playoff hole, he should've hit hybrid to really lay up or driver to get maximum benefit from a good swing.  Playing 3W again just meant a good shot that finished left of the bunker would still leave a longer approach shot than Hideki where Henley probably loses or another ball in the bunker where once again Henley loses.  Just bad strategy.

Pretty good example of a guy who hits it mostly straight with modern clubs , on a course that requires alot of curves.  Laying up as you said , or hitting driver farther up into the Rough was the play.  But even so , it’s beyond me why a guy carrying a 3 hybrid doesn’t blast it from that bunker ?  It WILL launch quicker than his 5 iron.  Which is what he hit out.  And the lip was not even in the picture.  All that and he has a left hand and back stop with the bleachers. It’s a real head scratcher.  

Especially knowing Hidekis ball striking record with a 3 wood off the deck.  Worst shot he could hit from there was a miss left off the grandstand.  He’s be pitching across the green on his 3rd if he did that.  So you knew birdie was a requirement. Par would  lose 90 % of the time.   It’s simple match Play at that point.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 4

Srixon z745 9* rogue 60 125 TX 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

But a flip lob wedge is miles easier than a sand wedge.  

He had 80 yards. That is a flip lob wedge.

The problem was not his second shot. Hideki made eagle and Henley wasn’t eagling. The problem was the drive.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Hidecki, going "beast-mode" to close was great!

Henley takes his bloody time hitting his shots.

Henley on the 13th hole, used his wood to tamp down the rough behind his ball.. pretty blatant to my eye, considering he had no chance of digging it out with a wood... He went so far as to hold it down and ask his caddie to have a look.. 

• Like 1

Titleist....

54 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

He had 80 yards. That is a flip lob wedge.

The problem was not his second shot. Hideki made eagle and Henley wasn’t eagling. The problem was the drive.

But he hit before he knew what hidekis outcome was. He basically planned for par and hoped for birdie.  Vs planning to make birdie and hoping not to make par.  You’re right. Birdie loses. But. If Henley puts the ball on the green.  Does it pressure his opponent into missing ?  Has happened a million times. Can’t say impossible 

80 yards isn’t a flip lob for Henley. He hit a 3/4 ish sand wedge.  By flip I mean 25-40 yards or so .  He had 260 ish to front edges. Running up 3 hybrid from  that isn’t a stretch.  Just a wide open approach with no Trouble except rough.  No water. No OB.  Nothing. 

Edited by bladehunter

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 hours ago, dropkicked said:

Hidecki, going "beast-mode" to close was great!

Henley takes his bloody time hitting his shots.

Henley on the 13th hole, used his wood to tamp down the rough behind his ball.. pretty blatant to my eye, considering he had no chance of digging it out with a wood... He went so far as to hold it down and ask his caddie to have a look.. 

said this earlier. Only player I saw after watching hours and hours this weekend of this tournament. He would sit there with three different clubs, a hybrid and two irons, pat the grass down repeatedly then chop the iron. I don’t know if that is normal for him, but it took forever, was annoyingly slow and looked very advantageous.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Pretty good example of a guy who hits it mostly straight with modern clubs , on a course that requires alot of curves.  Laying up as you said , or hitting driver farther up into the Rough was the play.  But even so , it’s beyond me why a guy carrying a 3 hybrid doesn’t blast it from that bunker ?  It WILL launch quicker than his 5 iron.  Which is what he hit out.  And the lip was not even in the picture.  All that and he has a left hand and back stop with the bleachers. It’s a real head scratcher.  

Especially knowing Hidekis ball striking record with a 3 wood off the deck.  Worst shot he could hit from there was a miss left off the grandstand.  He’s be pitching across the green on his 3rd if he did that.  So you knew birdie was a requirement. Par would  lose 90 % of the time.   It’s simple match Play at that point.  

As Lee Trevino once said:  and I'm paraphrasing (You'd be surprised at how many guys go blank out there under pressure......

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I remember an interview with Tiger when he was talking about studying the leaderboard towards the end of a tournament and figuring out what each player was going to make.  He makes adjustments based on what everyone in striking distance is going to shoot on the back nine which is like advanced calculus compared to what Henley faced.  He couldn't get home but he should've known he needed to abandon his game plan and get it close enough for a pitch that would at least scare the hole because Hideki was making 4 at worst from where he was.

• Thanks 1

Hideki's three wood in the playoff was awe-inspiring, but the shot that won it for him was the drive on 18 in regulation. He had to make a move, and he came out of his shoes to cut that corner. That ball could have gone a long way into a lot of bad places, but he squared it up and put the pressure right on Henley. 

• Like 4

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

9 hours ago, Ronnie Mundt said:

said this earlier. Only player I saw after watching hours and hours this weekend of this tournament. He would sit there with three different clubs, a hybrid and two irons, pat the grass down repeatedly then chop the iron. I don’t know if that is normal for him, but it took forever, was annoyingly slow and looked very advantageous.

I observe the same ting except I said that he was trying to pull a Gary Player .......pat the rough down with a wood several times and then hit an iron........all touring pros do it though.

7 minutes ago, PhlashPhace said:

I remember an interview with Tiger when he was talking about studying the leaderboard towards the end of a tournament and figuring out what each player was going to make.  He makes adjustments based on what everyone in striking distance is going to shoot on the back nine which is like advanced calculus compared to what Henley faced.  He couldn't get home but he should've known he needed to abandon his game plan and get it close enough for a pitch that would at least scare the hole because Hideki was making 4 at worst from where he was.

Yep.  It seems like common sense  to me , hideki is standing there with 3 wood in hand. Chomping at the bit for his turn.  He’s showing you what he will do ….   You have to play a shot to combat his best result.  

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It was interesting to watch the caddy and Henley working together during the back nine and through the playoff.

Both times Henley was in the bunker on 18, the player and caddy disagreed on what club to hit and settled on a compromise. From the TV perspective it seemed like they were equally involved/invested in those decisions, which is probably the wrong dynamic. 

In the playoff when the caddy suggested the 4 iron and Henley wanted the 6 they decided to split the difference and he hit 5 iron.

In that situation the caddy should probably endorse the 6 strongly and make the player feel like it's a great decision. This is even more true after having the same kind of discussion in regulation and winding up with a par. 

It's easy to imagine that Henley was still thinking about that over his wedge into 18 in the playoff. He may have ended up at an uncomfortable number due to using the 5 iron over the 6. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

11 minutes ago, me05501 said:

It was interesting to watch the caddy and Henley working together during the back nine and through the playoff.

Both times Henley was in the bunker on 18, the player and caddy disagreed on what club to hit and settled on a compromise. From the TV perspective it seemed like they were equally involved/invested in those decisions, which is probably the wrong dynamic. 

In the playoff when the caddy suggested the 4 iron and Henley wanted the 6 they decided to split the difference and he hit 5 iron.

In that situation the caddy should probably endorse the 6 strongly and make the player feel like it's a great decision. This is even more true after having the same kind of discussion in regulation and winding up with a par. 

It's easy to imagine that Henley was still thinking about that over his wedge into 18 in the playoff. He may have ended up at an uncomfortable number due to using the 5 iron over the 6. 

It was also interesting that the caddie wanted the aggressive play and the player was being conservative.  Sorta opposite of what you usually see.  Lack of confidence?  Under appreciation of opponent's capability?  Just odd.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

It was also interesting that the caddie wanted the aggressive play and the player was being conservative.  Sorta opposite of what you usually see.  Lack of confidence?  Under appreciation of opponent's capability?  Just odd.

It definitely makes you wonder how they'd managed the final round together, and whether there was a turning point where the pressure was coming on and the interactions changed. 

There wasn't a ton going on during that back nine on Sunday so we heard a few of their interactions before crunch time. I remember thinking that both caddy and player were talking through each shot quite a bit which seemed interesting with a lead on Sunday. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 minute ago, me05501 said:

It definitely makes you wonder how they'd managed the final round together, and whether there was a turning point where the pressure was coming on and the interactions changed. 

There wasn't a ton going on during that back nine on Sunday so we heard a few of their interactions before crunch time. I remember thinking that both caddy and player were talking through each shot quite a bit which seemed interesting with a lead on Sunday. 

They may talk over shots like that all the time.  Some players seem to need validation or help with their decisions.  I don't really understand it, but I have never had a caddie.  I wouldn't know what to do with one.

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Henley needs a new Caddy. 

Back 9 par 3 the wind was blowing in their face and he (Caddy) vehemently was saying the wind was behind him.  The announcers were basically trying to talk (yell) to Russell through the TV saying don't listen to him.  Henley eventually disagreed with his caddy and clubbed up to a 6 iron (which was absolutely the right call).  Caddy finally ceded and encouraged him, but these are pro caddies he should of be let go immediately after that gaffe.  

What was the caddy thinking telling his player the wind was behind when Russell was literally throwing grass up and it was blowing pass them on the tee box.  Ridiculous.  

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

I don't think losing a 5 stroke lead over the back nine on Sunday can be blamed entirely on the caddy, but if it was already a shaky partnership I can see it being the last straw. None of us know whether that's the case. 

The two bigger factors in the outcome were A) Matsuyama's great play to force the tie and B) how Henley responded to that pressure. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Exactly......the caddys job is to re-enforce what the player is thinking, not to dictate or sow doubt. IMO

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I don't think losing a 5 stroke lead over the back nine on Sunday can be blamed entirely on the caddy, but if it was already a shaky partnership I can see it being the last straw. None of us know whether that's the case. 

The two bigger factors in the outcome were A) Matsuyama's great play to force the tie and B) how Henley responded to that pressure. 

Mostly B.  This was a pretty big choke job.  -24 the first 63 holes and +1 on the last 9.  Henley really doesn't like 18 apparently.  He eagled once and parred or bogied it the other four times he played it.  For someone as long as him that's not too good on the second easiest hole on the course.  That just shows the fine line these guys walk.  If he birdies it one out of three times he wins by one.

• Like 1

Just now, PhlashPhace said:

Mostly B.  This was a pretty big choke job.  -24 the first 63 holes and +1 on the last 9.  Henley really doesn't like 18 apparently.  He eagled once and parred or bogied it the other four times he played it.  For someone as long as him that's not too good on the second easiest hole on the course.  That just shows the fine line these guys walk.  If he birdies it one out of three times he wins by one.

I noticed that Henley and Matsuyama were both setting up WAY over to the right edge of the tee box on 18. Clearly it's a hole that favors a draw but neither of them really shaped it there. Seems like a time when having a tight draw in your toolbox would be very helpful. Likely there's something about the design of the hole that made them choose to try to squeeze a straight shot through the corner instead. Hard to see everything on TV. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

3 hours ago, me05501 said:

Hideki's three wood in the playoff was awe-inspiring, but the shot that won it for him was the drive on 18 in regulation. He had to make a move, and he came out of his shoes to cut that corner. That ball could have gone a long way into a lot of bad places, but he squared it up and put the pressure right on Henley. 

Yup, I said the same thing. The 3W was rad but that tee shot was - from a playing to win perspective - more rad. He clearly figured Henley for a birdie so he played it like he knew he'd probably need an eagle to stay in it. And he was almost right - I thought Henley's birdie putt was in the whole way.

And I'm with @bladehunter - in a playoff, you know your opponent is gonna have an eagle look, why not just man up and go for it? It's not like it was regulation where a double bogey is gonna cost you a couple hundred grand. 

Hideki played to win and that's why he won it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ Edition

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 4-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

10 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Yup, I said the same thing. The 3W was rad but that tee shot was - from a playing to win perspective - more rad. He clearly figured Henley for a birdie so he played it like he knew he'd probably need an eagle to stay in it. And he was almost right - I thought Henley's birdie putt was in the whole way.

And I'm with @bladehunter - in a playoff, you know your opponent is gonna have an eagle look, why not just man up and go for it? It's not like it was regulation where a double bogey is gonna cost you a couple hundred grand. 

Hideki played to win and that's why he won it. 

Agree 100%. 

I wonder if the language barrier between Team Matsuyama and basically everyone else at the tournament starts to become at advantage at times when maximum focus is called for.

I'm certainly not trying to be xenophobic. It just seems like it might be a little easier to bear down and ignore the distractions around you when you're somewhat isolated from small talk and other distractions. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

3 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

They may talk over shots like that all the time.  Some players seem to need validation or help with their decisions.  I don't really understand it, but I have never had a caddie.  I wouldn't know what to do with one.

I have a pal that I play a lot with.  He and I club together similar distances etc. and he’s a very good player.  We walk and play together and I’ve caught us both at different times caddying for the other guy.  Usually on days when one of us is struggling.  We just have an uncanny knack for motivating the other.   We both analyze and vocalize the decision making progress the same.  Very much like watching Jordan and Mikey , or web and Paul … we both talk a lot in the process.  Also why were a great pairing for any partners matches.  We haven’t spoke to this.  But it opened my eyes to what kind of a caddy would work for me.  It’s truly unfair to pair us together in any team setting.  

For me a caddy discussion for a successful relationship on course would go like this.  Always discuss it. High success rate of agreement.  But if I want to do something different, shut up and  get behind It and confirm it for the moment….Then. If I screw it up. Don’t be afraid to let me hear it.  I do not mind negative feedback as long as it’s warranted. Just be ready to stand by it. Lol.  But I’d do so with the stated understanding that Im Loyal to a fault and expect the same.  A relationship like that won’t work if constantly under the threat of firing.  That’s just a weak persons way to control.  Make good hires.  Then ride them until there’s no choice.  Or to success. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Agree 100%. 

I wonder if the language barrier between Team Matsuyama and basically everyone else at the tournament starts to become at advantage at times when maximum focus is called for.

I'm certainly not trying to be xenophobic. It just seems like it might be a little easier to bear down and ignore the distractions around you when you're somewhat isolated from small talk and other distractions. 

There were a lot of visitors from Japan following that final group. A good chunk of visitors here are from Japan and Hideki is a big draw. 

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (A1) Autoflex SF505                   Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 75 (S)                         4i - PING i210

19* Hyb - Ping G430 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 (S).                5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Irons - 4-PW Maltby TS1 Nippon 950GH Stiff                 6i - Titleist T100

GW - Vokey SM8 50* F-grind                                           7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

SW - Vokey SM8 54* D-grind (bent to 55)                      8i - Callaway X-Forged

LW - Vokey SM8 60* M-grind                                           9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

Putter - SeeMore PCB with LAGP SoHo                          PW - Srixon ZX-7

GW - Wilson Staff CB

I noticed that Henley and Matsuyama were both setting up WAY over to the right edge of the tee box on 18. Clearly it's a hole that favors a draw but neither of them really shaped it there. Seems like a time when having a tight draw in your toolbox would be very helpful. Likely there's something about the design of the hole that made them choose to try to squeeze a straight shot through the corner instead. Hard to see everything on TV. 

As a guy who sees a fade but will hit draws when it calls for it , I’ve always went to the right side of the box.  Which is counter intuitive for a draw.  Most hookers will go to the left side.  Because when they miss it goes left.  When I miss with a draw swing it goes right. Or straight.  So the play is on the right side of the box.  That’s what they were doing.  Leaving room to miss.  Which Henley did each time.  

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

The caddy has never hit a golf shot.

Begs to differ...

Tin Cup: Hole in One? #TBT

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4