2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

90's/00's Retro Bag Build- Something is missing-

gibbyfan

2 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

That's the club David Toms made the hole-in-one with in the 2001 PGA Championship. 

that would be a good looking stick today, right?

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

So many good suggestions. I think an EYE2 2i would be cool. IIRC, Langer was bagging an EYE2 1i when he won the Masters in '93, so a 2i would be sort of following on that line. He also had a persimmon driver in the bag then, though.

I like the idea of a Callaway Heavenwood or V-steel fairway wood (even a V-steel 7w), but you could go back a little further and put a TM Raylor in the bag. I remember using a borrowed one sometime in the 90s and loving it.

Also, I see no good reason to leave an EYE2 SW or LW out of the bag....

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname

Love this! I totally think you could do a OG Titleist and PING bag pretty easily that would stand on their own.  

I'll mention what others have said, I say some forged Mizuno Irons or Macgregors would fit the bill instead of the TA 845s...actually that reminds me, Cleveland TA5s or TA7s would be good too.  And re-released in the last 5-8 years I think? 

In terms of what to add though, even though I already said you could do a PING only bag, I'll go a different route since there's already a lot of great classic suggestions here and offer up the OG Ping Rapture hybrid around 17-20 degrees maybe? 

Edited by timbo08

6 hours ago, AdExec said:

Sick sticks. Love that 503I and super rare. I’ll see your Titleist goodies….and raise you mine 

975D 7.5 with Fuji Pro 95 

970 13, 20 with x100 

681T 2-PW 

Vokey 200 Series 56, 60

Kingston GOAT GSS putter 

BAB5CB34-A302-43FA-A831-053EC916EFC1.jpeg

Man, those FW's are sweet! I've got a pretty solid collection of old vokeys going, but was really excited about finding this one. 

I usually break the all titleist set up with my MacGregor PCB Tour's

• Like 1

Callaway Rouge ST 💎💎💎 

Taylormade Sim Ti- 15*, 19*

Miura TC-201

Vokey Raw SM9- 46*, 51*, 56*, 61*

Bettinardi BB8W Blackout - Scotty Cameron Buttonback Newport

6 hours ago, AdExec said:

Sick sticks. Love that 503I and super rare. I’ll see your Titleist goodies….and raise you mine 

970 13, 20 with x100 

681T 2-PW 

Vokey 200 Series 56, 60

Kingston GOAT GSS putter 

I love the simple look of that bare 5 wood head!  I bet it would look good with a tumbled finish like the old Warbirds.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

18 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

you and I have very similar tastes.

one of my vintage sets.....

Driver: Titleist 975D

Fairways: WarBirds, 3+, 4

Irons: TA 845's 2-SW.

Wedges: Vokey Oil Cans.

Putter: Ping Anser 2

bring those in a 9" Miller bag with some barrel headcovers and it all looks right.

I thought about moving the 510Tp  to the next bag. I looked at some 975D, but then had the idea to maybe add the Great Big Bertha or Cobra Ti driver. Looks like we live in similar areas as well. 

7 hours ago, AdExec said:

970 13, 20 with x100 

681T 2-PW 

Vokey 200 Series 56, 60

Kingston GOAT GSS putter 

That set up is just flat-out sick! How does that not make it to the front cover of WRX. The FW are great but those T's...ugh!

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

So many good suggestions. I think an EYE2 2i would be cool. IIRC, Langer was bagging an EYE2 1i when he won the Masters in '93, so a 2i would be sort of following on that line. He also had a persimmon driver in the bag then, though.

I like the idea of a Callaway Heavenwood or V-steel fairway wood (even a V-steel 7w), but you could go back a little further and put a TM Raylor in the bag. I remember using a borrowed one sometime in the 90s and loving it.

I ended up going with the Eye2 BeCu 2 iron. The Eye2 LW I considered, but never liked them even when I was a kid. 

Although the old TM rescue was a great idea too. May look into that too. 

• Like 2

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

23 hours ago, gibbyfan said:

I am trying to fill out my first retro bag ( nostalgia sake). Over the last week I have picked up a few items, but I feel like something is missing. Here is what the bag looks like at this point:

Driver: TM 510 TP w/ 757

3wd: Callaway War Bird 15* w/ Steel 6.0 Rifle

Irons: Tommy Armour 845 Golden Scot 3-SW

Wedge: Cleveland Classic 797 BeNi 60*

Putter: Ping BeCu Anser 2 or Muirfield Blade Putter

Not sure what to add next? 5 wd? or Ping Eye 2 2 iron?  Trying to think of what to add to wrap up this build. Looking for some ideas...maybe a trip down memory lane too. 

TM Raylor 19*……. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

24 minutes ago, gibbyfan said:

I thought about moving the 510Tp  to the next bag. I looked at some 975D, but then had the idea to maybe add the Great Big Bertha or Cobra Ti driver. Looks like we live in similar areas as well. 

That set up is just flat-out sick! How does that not make it to the front cover of WRX. The FW are great but those T's...ugh!

I ended up going with the Eye2 BeCu 2 iron. The Eye2 LW I considered, but never liked them even when I was a kid. 

Three words ....

BIGGEST BIG BERTHA!

20 hours ago, Nihonsei75 said:

Jinx-poke-buy me a coke.....I will now say Supersteel 3 or 5 with the infamous Bubble shaft. Did the V have the Bubble? I remember steel shafts.

This is a retro thread….would the coke be a Classic or New Coke?

Dang I’m getting old….since when is 90’s and 00’s equipment considered “retro”? 🤣

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

3 hours ago, gibbyfan said:

Bonus points for getting BeCu👍

I know what you mean about the EYE2 L wedge. I have one that was given to me back in the late Eighties, and I didn't get on with it all then. Years later, when I was back in the UK for a visit, I dug it out and threw it in the bag for a round and loved it. So much so that I took it back to Japan with me.

Since then, I've played and practised with it a number of times, and there are days when I can do no wrong with it, and days when I can do no right with it. Not much in between. 

It's an interesting club, and I can understand why many users swear by their EYE2 SW or LW, but I can also understand why some people hate them because I've tasted both extremes.

6 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Bonus points for getting BeCu👍

I know what you mean about the EYE2 L wedge. I have one that was given to me back in the late Eighties, and I didn't get on with it all then. Years later, when I was back in the UK for a visit, I dug it out and threw it in the bag for a round and loved it. So much so that I took it back to Japan with me.

Since then, I've played and practised with it a number of times, and there are days when I can do no wrong with it, and days when I can do no right with it. Not much in between. 

It's an interesting club, and I can understand why many users swear by their EYE2 SW or LW, but I can also understand why some people hate them because I've tasted both extremes.

This last summer I bought Eye 2 XG 56 and 60 degree wedges.  The 56 was great right off the bat, but the 60 dug like crazy and was basically unplayable in my hands.  Turns out the leading edge was WAY too sharp from the factory.  I put a nice radius on the leading edge with my belt sander, and it is a completely different club now.  I like it so much now that I bought Glide 3.0 Eye 2 wedges, which turned out not quite so well.  I sold them on fleabay and lost my butt, as usual, lol.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

2 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

This last summer I bought Eye 2 XG 56 and 60 degree wedges.  The 56 was great right off the bat, but the 60 dug like crazy and was basically unplayable in my hands.  Turns out the leading edge was WAY too sharp from the factory.  I put a nice radius on the leading edge with my belt sander, and it is a completely different club now.  I like it so much now that I bought Glide 3.0 Eye 2 wedges, which turned out not quite so well.  I sold them on fleabay and lost my butt, as usual, lol.

For me, it's the offset and wide sole that causes problems. I've realised that I can't use the L-wedge in winter, when the ground is wet and the grass dormant. I just can't make good contact off tight, wet lies with it. It's much better in the summer and autumn, when there's more grass and the ground is firmer.

18 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I’m not sure where you are, but I have an original warbird 5 wood and 9 wood, that you’re welcome too. They came in a bundle that I bought because I wanted another club, and they’re sitting in the garage. 

let me know if they’re of interest. 

• Thanks 1

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

On 1/19/2022 at 6:26 PM, gibbyfan said:

I am trying to fill out my first retro bag ( nostalgia sake). Over the last week I have picked up a few items, but I feel like something is missing. Here is what the bag looks like at this point:

Driver: TM 510 TP w/ 757

3wd: Callaway War Bird 15* w/ Steel 6.0 Rifle

Irons: Tommy Armour 845 Golden Scot 3-SW

Wedge: Cleveland Classic 797 BeNi 60*

Putter: Ping BeCu Anser 2 or Muirfield Blade Putter

Not sure what to add next? 5 wd? or Ping Eye 2 2 iron?  Trying to think of what to add to wrap up this build. Looking for some ideas...maybe a trip down memory lane too. 

Kasco K2k 44 hybrid, this is a 19* club that is like hitting a PW from about 200-220  yards.

Uber expensive back in the day, highly effective, and a cool club.

Also need a sleeve or two of the Maxfil Revolution 90 golfball.

Edited by OsnolaKinnard

Could always swap out for a J's Professional Weapon driver!!  The green shaft was the BOMB back in the day!!  

• Like 4

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

Wow, that hits close to home. That said, before the R510 TP I played the Great Big Bertha with the orginal Ruger-produced head until the face cracked. And on the wedges you might sub out the cleveland 60* for the Tommy Armour W4 if you want to go a little older, and sub in the cleveland diadic gap wedge. That was pretty well ahead of the trends. 

Fun thread. Might as well share my 90's bag. Reacquired the driver and irons thinking I might use them sometime.

TM Tour Burner, Tour Gold Shaft

Warbird 3w

Maxfli Tour Ltd Forged irons (have found some info from Tad that these are really JDM?)

Hogan Special BeCu wedges

I don't have a 90's putter since I used an ancient destroyed Ray Cook -3 blade, but a Zing 2 or Zebra mallet fits here.

This only works if you wear these:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4

Cobra SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 5s
Cobra Radspeed 15.5 Motore X F3 6s
Cobra SZ 18.5 Tensei Blue 65s

Cobra SZ 21.5 Atmos Blue 7s
Cobra Forged Tec X 5-G Recoil 95 F3

Cleveland CBX Zipcore   54/12   58/10
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

8 hours ago, jasona93 said:

Fun thread. Might as well share my 90's bag. Reacquired the driver and irons thinking I might use them sometime.

TM Tour Burner, Tour Gold Shaft

Warbird 3w

Maxfli Tour Ltd Forged irons (have found some info from Tad that these are really JDM?)

Hogan Special BeCu wedges

I don't have a 90's putter since I used an ancient destroyed Ray Cook -3 blade, but a Zing 2 or Zebra mallet fits here.

I went back to see if I could find a driver with a Ti shaft or Tour Silver.  I remember having a set of those Maxflis those were sweet looking irons. My pro that I worked for had some of the BeCu Hogan wedges. He was on their staff. Love those too!

5 hours ago, Kenbone said:

s-l1600.jpg

I am only wearing those it has the flap over the tongue.  🤣🤣🤣🤣 . But give me a retro pair of dry joys...now we are talking!

• Like 2

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

10 hours ago, Kenbone said:

s-l1600.jpg

Hey, I had those...

in spiked and spikeless.

the spikeless were full perf fronts.

still nothing better than an all white shoe.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

17 hours ago, beaney said:

I’m not sure where you are, but I have an original warbird 5 wood and 9 wood, that you’re welcome too. They came in a bundle that I bought because I wanted another club, and they’re sitting in the garage. 

let me know if they’re of interest. 

Very kind of you, but I'm on the other side of the world, and I'm not sure when I'll next be going back to the UK for a visit. Don't want to go back for a fortnight and have to isolate for all of it!

11 hours ago, Kenbone said:

s-l1600.jpg

They really need to bring that don’t back on the shoe! Loved the old brown leather ones with the font on the backside of the sole.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Very kind of you, but I'm on the other side of the world, and I'm not sure when I'll next be going back to the UK for a visit. Don't want to go back for a fortnight and have to isolate for all of it!

No worries. If things change and you find yourself over here just shout. 

as another suggestion to the retro bag, maybe a TM burner bubble, or a Ram Zebra putter?

Taylormade M2 2017
Mizuno MX700 3W
Titleist 909h 19*
Srixon U65 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTXcb 50, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

On 1/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, Shilgy said:

This is a retro thread….would the coke be a Classic or New Coke?

Dang I’m getting old….since when is 90’s and 00’s equipment considered “retro”? 🤣

Same thing is happening in cars.    Check prices of 87-93 mustangs.   #1 condition models well over $20k now and headed for 30. And that’s just a 5.0. Get into the cobra or cobra R stuff and it’s $50k at times.   The restoration market is all going that way in my business.    Personally doesn’t bother me in one way. But in another it’s odd to think of these cars as restoration candidates.  I own two examples under 50k miles that I’d not be afraid to go cross country in today.  Makes me feel old too. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:02 PM, gibbyfan said:

had the idea to maybe add the Great Big Bertha or Cobra Ti driver

GBB was stupid popular, but almost seems trite, at least for me.  I think a Cobra Deep Face or Mizuno T3 (either Ti or steel) might be interesting.  

Both were in the bags of two fairly notable green jacket winners.  🤔

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors