Anyone not carry a 3 wood / best 3 wood of 2022

RoryLox

I recently sold my Mizuno STZ 3 wood to help fund some other purchases. My bag is literally completely set now. Down to the shafts in every club. 

All except I now don’t have a 3 wood.   But the thing is. I almost never hit a 3 wood.  I have a 5 wood that I love and it’s probably my most trusty club.  So usually if I’m not hitting driver, I pull out the 5 wood. Just because I’m so confident in it (srixon zx with blue Velocore shaft).  And honestly if I’m 240-250 out. I’m not good enough to hit 3 wood off deck and go for it. I’d rather lay up and get an easy GIR.  Therefore my 3 wood rarely gets touched. 

but now I have a hole in my bag.  I either get another 3 wood. Or don’t?  

If I don’t, what should I get in it’s place? A mini driver? But what’s the point really? In what scenarios would I use this over my normal driver or 5 wood?  A driving iron? Sounds intriguing but probably hard to hit?  Don’t really need another wedge down low. 

if I do get another 3 wood.  What’s the best one out these days? Just not sure dropping $300-$500 on another club that would rarely get used makes a lot of sense.  

• Like 2

I pulled my 3W a few years ago when I realized (same as you) that it was gathering dust.  I had better options off the tee, when driver wasnt the right option, and I rarely hit it off the deck.

What do you have after your 5W, but before your lowest-lofted iron?  I put a hybrid in my bag years ago to serve primarily as a rescue club: punches out from under trees, to get out of thick rough, etc.  Its amazing how many ways I've found to use that club.

Might be an option for you, if you don't have need for another fairway wood, nor another wedge...

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

I carry a 5w set at 16.5° then a 20° hybrid in my normal setup.  It works on all but 2 courses that I regularly play. 

On those, I throw the old Adams 3w in the bag just to help with my 240-260 driver distance.  If I could reliably hit driver off the deck, I wouldn't carry it on those courses, but alas......I can't.  

I was fitted for a 3 wood last year... I plan to pull it from thr bag this year as I have my trusty 5 wood that I use on narrow  par 5 and when things are not working with the driver 

My home course has a dog leg par 4 that I can go over the trees with and go for a eagle..

That's the only place I really use it...

Have u considered a 7 wood.. I picked one up last year and it's almost as good as my 5 wood.. Easy of the deck and lands and sticks on par 3

I have a 3 wood, but it's rarely in my bag.  The course I play league on, and my "home" course don't have opportunities for 3 woods (for me anyway). I have a 5 wood that serves me very well.  The only reason I still own a 3 wood is there are a few courses I play each year where I do use one.  I like the 3 wood I have, but I just don't have much of a need for it.  If for some reason I start playing from the tips then that 3 wood would be in the bag.

• Like 1

I hit my driver accurately enough, no need for a 3 wood off tee, plus, it's so much easier to hit a 4 wood off the deck.

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

A pretty common element of golf course architecture is hazards or narrowing of fairways to push golfers into landing areas that allow the green to reward/punish specific things.

Which is to say, bomb and gouge isn't a winning strategy on a ton of courses. 

If things get scary around 300 off the tee, that's where my 3 wood comes into play.  If it gets reeeeally scary, 2 iron around 270 is all I ever want.

How fast do you swing and how much further do you hit your 3W than your 5W? For lots of moderate speed folks 3W is a lot harder to hit and doesn’t really go much, if any, further than a 4 or 5 wood.  If you basically never use your 3W then I think the decision is clear.  I personally don’t use 3 wood much.  I do carry one though.  The og sim is perfect, as it is not super expensive but is a very solid club.  If you decide you do want a 3W but don’t want to spend a lot I would look at the sim or sim max.  Less expensive and you are not giving anything up.

I've not used a 3 wood. I have a 4 wood now but a 5 wood is on the way to potentially replace it. Depending on how it works out and how the gapping is, it may kick both the 4 wood and 20* super hybrid out of the bag. On the courses I play, if driver isn't the play off the tee a 3 or 4 wood really isn't so much either. I've gone D - 5W before and the 5W is definitely more useful and easier when I do need to hit it off the deck. 

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

15 hours ago, RoryLox said:

I recently sold my Mizuno STZ 3 wood to help fund some other purchases. My bag is literally completely set now. Down to the shafts in every club. 

All except I now don’t have a 3 wood.   But the thing is. I almost never hit a 3 wood.  I have a 5 wood that I love and it’s probably my most trusty club.  So usually if I’m not hitting driver, I pull out the 5 wood. Just because I’m so confident in it (srixon zx with blue Velocore shaft).  And honestly if I’m 240-250 out. I’m not good enough to hit 3 wood off deck and go for it. I’d rather lay up and get an easy GIR.  Therefore my 3 wood rarely gets touched. 

but now I have a hole in my bag.  I either get another 3 wood. Or don’t?  

If I don’t, what should I get in it’s place? A mini driver? But what’s the point really? In what scenarios would I use this over my normal driver or 5 wood?  A driving iron? Sounds intriguing but probably hard to hit?  Don’t really need another wedge down low. 

if I do get another 3 wood.  What’s the best one out these days? Just not sure dropping $300-$500 on another club that would rarely get used makes a lot of sense.  

My buddy does not have a 3wood in the bag. He says he doesn't notice a difference in distance between 3 and 5 wood. In all fairness, he's not long enough to attack most par 5's in two anyways so it would be a forgotten club in his bag. If it doesn't fit your game, don't use it man!

Have gone back and forth on a 3W for years. Sometimes it works off the deck and sometimes it doesn't. Decided to go with the 425LST 2 Hybrid. Can loft it down to 15.5 degrees if need be. Plenty soft into greens and can still use it of the tee with tighter dispersion and more stable contact than my 3W.

• Like 3
  •  💎💎💎 8* Paradym playing at 7*, ADUB 7X, tipped 1," VF7TX tipped .5"
  • Qi Tour 5W at 16.5, HZRDUS 80g 6.5, playing 43.25"
  • T200 2i Utility, HZRDUS 105x tipped .5"
  • 770 4I, P7MC 5-PW,  PX LS 6.5 
  • SM9 50.08F, SM8 55.11S, SM9 60.06 T
  • , Odyssey Ten Ball 

3 wood heads today are the size of an old persimmon driver and boast 43+" shafts.  And people wonder why they can't hit any off the deck?

Find an 18*/19* small headed FW or hybrid with around a 41" length shaft that you can hit consistently good off ANY lie.

Leave that 3 wood for good.

• Like 1

TEE C721 10.5 Ventus Red 5R (with 10g lead tape under the stripes)

Adams Idea Pro 20, 23, 26 Aldila VS Proto 80S

MP32 6-PW DGR300, +1"

MP223 GW DGS200, +1"

Cleveland 588 RTG TA 51 DG wedge flex

Vokey 256.12 DG wedge flex

1969 Ping Anser 85029 34" long step

golf..."can't be mastered, can only be played"

3 wood is relegated to the reserve pile in the office until next autumn. No need to carry it once it gets hard and fast on our courses. I will be going driver - 2UDI - 5w - 20 hybrid - Frankenstein 4i - set 5-pw - 50/56/. 

The 3 wood is only good for lower trajectory tee shots through the winter months that still need carry for me. Mainly due its flight characteristics into wind or with stiff cross winds. UDI gets swapped for it as soon as the ground gets too wet for the UDI to get the roll out. 

Personally I see the 3 wood as as a UDI with less control but more carry. A necessary evil where the UDI doesn’t work. Through the summer I regularly see the UDI get out further than my driver by taking advantage of the hard fast ground.  

I made the same decision this year - top of the bag is driver, 2-hybrid (lofted down to 15.5) and 3-hybrid (lofted down to 18), then 4i on.

I have a Srixon ZX 3w that is the best and longest 3w I have ever hit - but I just never pulled it unless I was on a wide-open par 5.

I can carry the 2h 220+ and that is all I need, really. Giving up yardage but I am confident swinging it in any situation and that was the decision point for me.

Ping G430 Max 10K Nemesys 55S

Callaway Ai Smoke 3w Nemesys 65S
Callaway Ai Smoke 3h Ventus HB Blue 7S
TaylorMade P790 '23 4i-AW DG 105 S300
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 3 54 SB, 58 HB KBS HI-REV 2.0 115
Toulon Las Vegas H7 Stroke Lab

Impossible to answer without knowing what the rest of your bag looks like.  That said, I'd say add NOTHING. Play your bag as-is.  You don't get docked strokes for having LESS THAN 14 sticks in your bag.  😉

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

A 3-Wood is essential for me.  90% of my tee shots are with the 3-Wood.   I'll even carry 2 sometimes, 13* & 15*.  The courses I play are in the 6,650 - 6,780 yard range and fairly tight.  3-Wood puts me out 260 off the tee and in the fairway.  With my courses not being that long, I'd rather be in the fairway hitting an 9 or 8 iron into the green, than be a wedge away but in the crap.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

3+ Wood: TM 300 Mini

4 Wood: TM Stealth

7 Wood: TM Stealth 

Irons: Callaway Ai Smoke (6-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

3 wood has been out of the bag for close to a year and even when it was in the bag it was rarely used. I have a 19 degree hybrid that is my safe tee shot and long approach club.

I just haven't put in the work with a 3 wood to feel like it's worth the risk of pulling it and it has become a self fulfilling prophecy. Every year (including this one) I tell myself I'm gonna work on my 3 wood so it becomes a club I have confidence in because there is a real use case for me with it.

Loving my STZ. Had a brief lapse in judgement and was going to get rid of it for a 5w or the 4w but I like the flight and feel of it to much. It probably goes to far for me at 14* but oh well. 

if it was to be replaced it will probably be a Taylormade 5w dialed down to 17 or a Titleist 16.5* 

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

I am in my 11th season of some combo of 4W + 7W. In past, 3W launched sometimes, 4W launched always.

You might consider 4 + 7.

On 3/10/2022 at 6:58 PM, RoryLox said:

I have a 5 wood that I love and it’s probably my most trusty club.

You're in good company! The pro who serves as my clubsmith carries a 5W with 4W-length shaft for his solo fairway.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |