2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

1 hour ago, wingz9 said:

I got to play my first 18 with the i230’s yesterday on a course almost two hours south of Denver that didn’t have snow on it. As everyone has been saying they are dead straight. I’ve always been green dot in Pings because of a toe down strike and my miss with the irons will mostly be left. I’m coming from ZX5’s two degrees up that would have a three yard draw on a good strike and hook on a poorly struck shot. Yesterday these were dead straight and what would have been a hook with the ZX5’s was a three yard draw. The toe strike forgiveness is unbelievable, I looked down at my strike pattern on the face after a couple shots that went the exact distance I wanted and dead straight and I stuck it way closer to the toe than center. I had three birdies and should have had 4 all from great iron shots that went exactly where I wanted them and that’s my first 18 holes with these clubs and my first 18 holes since the fall. I couldn’t be happier with these irons.

DiD you stick with green dot?

Just placed an order….

ping i230 4-gw

black dot

1/2” over length 

power spec

TTDG 120 X100

golf pride mcc with +2 wraps

Current gamers: prior gen zx5 in 4 and 5 irons. ZX7’s in 6-gap wedge with modus 105x. 1/2” over and bent 1* strong. 

Edited by VanTheMan0519
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

2 hours ago, smajin said:

t seems like these are not available from Ping with Nippon Modus 120 shafts?  Any recommendations on the most cost effective way to get a build with those shafts?

If you order them from a ping authorized dealer they may be able to get these shafts. It may take longer because ping will need to order them. If this is possible this is probably the most cost effective way to do this. 

The easiest way to get these shafts in the i230 would be to order through club champion or true spec or another place that is building them themselves. This is probably the most expensive but most straight forward way to go about this. 

Depending how comfortable you are with DYI club building you could order a set (grips in box dont have them put them on) and then pull the shafts and re-shaft them. You would also pay a local club builder to do this as well. I would only go this route if you are comfortable doing the work your self and comfortable with reselling the shafts. You could also save some money here by buying a used set and reshafting those. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Inglewood said:

Well said - spot on.  Just like us - but with more resources staring him in the face daily.  

How the hell do you not change clubs out when every manufacturer sends you stuff to test. The manufacturers know if their product gets any acknowledged used (in video on YT or IG) by Ian, Matt and Mikey they will sell a boatload. It’s gotta be hard to commit with new temptation being delivered daily. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

8 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

230s more forgiving than the older i25s?

Yes I think so.  Had the i25’s and just got the 230’s.   Mishits don’t drop off as bad and seem less left to me.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

1 minute ago, rjp322 said:

How is the spin on these? I have had I210s and I200s.  I spin the hell out of them and Im not a high spin player.  Ive always thought Pings were incredibly easy to hit.  If the prior models spun 500 rpm less, they would never have left the bag

I tend to spin irons high due to adding some loft. I went power spec with the i230s and love them. Mind you, I am not a long hitter: Driver is right around 100 mph. 7 iron carry with the 31.5* power spec i230 carries anywhere from 155-160 for me. But the flight window and spin are great. 

• Like 1

DR: Qi10 Core 10.5˚

FW: G430 LST 3W 15˚ // G430 Max 18˚

UW: OG Apex UW 19˚

HY: G425 22˚H

IRONS: NL 480DB 5-PW

WEDGES: NL 50SS, 54VS, 59FF

PUTTER: Spider Tour CB 38" or Lajosi Lawson Longneck Proto

BALL: Maxfli Tour X

13 minutes ago, zlawson36 said:

I tend to spin irons high due to adding some loft. I went power spec with the i230s and love them. Mind you, I am not a long hitter: Driver is right around 100 mph. 7 iron carry with the 31.5* power spec i230 carries anywhere from 155-160 for me. But the flight window and spin are great. 

Those sounds like high launch high spin then still in comparison to some of the player distance type irons.  I play PXG gen 5 Ps now and can hit my 7 iron about 173 or so on average.  Plenty of launch.   I swing my driver 100-104 depending on the day.  In comparison I was hitting my I210s, 163 and it was strictly due to spin and launching too high.  Would love a middle ground

Finally got to properly demo the I230 with a Ping fitter. Positives. Look fantastic at address. That was it. Negatives. Felt "empty" despite trying Nippon shafts. Distance. Abysmal. Spun like mad and was scary short. Forgiveness. Mediocre. 

So glad I tried these as I had been tempted to order without hitting. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, cg0rd0noo7 said:

The i230s are not players distance irons. In Pings i series of irons the i525s are their current players distance irons. If you want a players distance iron and are comparing it to the PXG Gen 5s the i525s are the more direct comparison

The ping i230 7 iron has 33º of loft. You are comparing it to the PXG Gen 5 P 7 iron that has 30º of loft. Just by the differences in loft the ping is going to spin more and go shorter. 3º of loft is about 9 yards of distance in more cases so that completely explains the distance and spin differences you are seeing. 

I was experiencing this with Pings being power specs.   It was a pretty sizable difference.  I know a big part of the reason they are so easy to hit is because of how much they spin.  Just wish it was a middle ground.  They were also even flying higher than optimal according to Trackman which just never happens for me.  In the end I got rid of my pings just due to them being a solid club or club and a half shorter

Edited by rjp322

My first range session with these a few weeks ago my first impressions were that the performance was great but the feel was just ok. After messing around with some swing thoughts last weekend, I started striping these and the feel is fantastic. I was literally not hitting the middle of the face for the first couple of range sessions and could not tell based on ball flight and performance 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

Apex UW 19* DI 8x

P DHY 22* Ct-aper lite 110
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

7 hours ago, rjp322 said:

How is the spin on these? I have had I210s and I200s.  I spin the hell out of them and Im not a high spin player.  Ive always thought Pings were incredibly easy to hit.  If the prior models spun 500 rpm less, they would never have left the bag

I think you will be happy with the i230s.  YMMV but they spun slightly less (300 RPM) than i210s for me.  

I think 500 RPM will be the high end of what you’ll see with the regular spec so as others suggested, you may want to check the power spec.  

I’m 100% confident you’ll see less spin in the i230s than the i210s.

• Like 1

Played my first round with these yesterday.  Normal lofts that went the same distance as my ZX5/ZX7 combo (all played to ZX5 lofts) which was a bit of a surprise to me. Excellent dispersion and straight shots. Loving these irons so far. Just ordered a 4i as my set I got here was 5-GW. 

Really like the DG 120 S300 as well. we'll see what a few more rounds will do but the Srixon's may be goners.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

Played my first round with these yesterday.  Normal lofts that went the same distance as my ZX5/ZX7 combo (all played to ZX5 lofts) which was a bit of a surprise to me. Excellent dispersion and straight shots. Loving these irons so far. Just ordered a 4i as my set I got here was 5-GW. 

Really like the DG 120 S300 as well. we'll see what a few more rounds will do but the Srixon's may be goners.

I have a set of i230s on way basically same shaft/same specs as my zx5/zx7 combo set. Looking forward to comparing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mobert19 said:

Waiting on mine. I have zx5/7 combo myself. How would you describe the flight between the two?

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

1 minute ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

Waiting on mine. I have zx5/7 combo myself. How would you describe the flight between the two?

Better launch angles for me and when they hit the green i mean they stick. I didn't have trouble with the ZX with this but it was noticeable. I thought I liked the Modus 120S but I feel like these DG 120S feel better right now.

Got my second round in with my 230s yesterday.  I love the look and feel of these and I wish I had more time to practice but I dont.  Course was mostly firm overall in the center of the fairways and I don't think these irons shined for me from those types of lies.  I had a hard time getting the iron through that type of ground most of the day.  Usually I am not in the fairway so hitting them out of longer grass may have been ideal but my G430 LST has changed my driving game and has me finding fairways again.  These irons will be in my bag long term so I am looking forward to more time getting them dialed in...  I can say, distance is great, feel is great, spin is fine, trajectory is what I like to see....  Not much to NOT like, just need more time and I think these could be great, if I can just get out of my own way.

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

Just received mine today Blue Dot, 1/2” over DG120 X100, Power Spec with MCC Midsize. Bonerific 😁

Edited by Mookie91

TaylorMade Qi10 Core 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX Hulk

TaylorMade SIM Max 12 HZRDUS Black 4Gen 60 6.0

Srixon ZX4 MkII 4 iron Nippon Modus 105X

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5-PW Nippon Modus 105X

Cleveland RTX 48 DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX 6 52 & 56 DG120 X100

Cleveland Full Face 60 DG Spinner

Bettinardi BB28

4 minutes ago, Mookie91 said:

Just received mine today Blue Dot, 1/2” over DG120 X100, Power Spec with MCC Midsize. Bonerific 😁

Leave work and give me a range report. Ordered almost the same. What irons are you coming from?

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

4 minutes ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

Leave work and give me a range report. Ordered almost the same. What irons are you coming from?

Snow on the ground here 😁.  Mizuno Pro 225s were last years sticks.

TaylorMade Qi10 Core 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX Hulk

TaylorMade SIM Max 12 HZRDUS Black 4Gen 60 6.0

Srixon ZX4 MkII 4 iron Nippon Modus 105X

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5-PW Nippon Modus 105X

Cleveland RTX 48 DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX 6 52 & 56 DG120 X100

Cleveland Full Face 60 DG Spinner

Bettinardi BB28