2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

10 hours ago, 54CW said:

@TJ83 I hit about 25 balls head to head with my zx7s. I like how the i230 sets up compared to the zx7. I felt like I didn’t give up anything on distance but mishits in 38 degrees and rain looked better from the i230s. I’m playing 18 today with the i230s. I really want to see how these do on uneven lies and out of the rough. 

I played in mid 40s and a lot of wind and some rain. These performed beautifully. I never had a problem with my zx7s either.   I’m going to have a hard time sticking to one of these sets of irons. I think the i230s really do hold distance better than anything I’ve ever hit. Until I can hit these  in better conditions I’d say i230 are slightly longer than zx7 for me. 

Keep an eye out for classifieds if you’re on the fence. I may put my i230s up for sale soon. I’d like to be fitted into a different shaft on a new set with a 4iron. I think kbs 120 work well in the zx7 but I should see if something else fits the i230 better.  

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 9:40 AM, Tiptx1122 said:

That's so interesting as I really liked the i525's and would have gone for the i230 but I don't like that gap on the back of the badge. I would have thought the 1525 would have felt better being forged.

It's not even close.  The i525s with an X ball are the worst sounding and feeling iron I've ever hit (i never hit the i500, which people say are worse).  They were ok with a super soft ball.  They performed, just made my tp5x unplayable. 

Edited by realmfg

1 hour ago, realmfg said:

It's not even close.  The i525s with an X ball are the worst sounding and feeling iron I've ever hit (i never hit the i500, which people say are worse).  They were ok with a super soft ball.  They performed, just made my tp5x unplayable. 

Maybe that's the difference for iCrossover. I don't mind mine at all, and I had an i500 that I gave away. For free. And I got the bargain.

• Haha 4

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

For the folks who got Recoil Dart 105s — how are they working out for you?

I’m exploring a move to graphite iron shafts to help with tennis elbow and a nagging old wrist injury. The Darts seem to be new enough that I can’t find EI profiles. 

How do they compare to something like an MMT 105? And/or any steel shafts you could compare them to?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

Any idea what Ping charges for custom shaft options? Looking to get these with Modus Tour 120X.

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

52 minutes ago, BDowning said:

Any idea what Ping charges for custom shaft options? Looking to get these with Modus Tour 120X.

It usually differs per the store purchased from. I’ve seen TTDG Tour issue upgrade be between $20-$35 per club. Usually TGW is pretty fair or close to the lowest. However, I didn’t see the 120 as an option. I would shoot them an email. I will say that will be about the only slot to try and save some money. Ping is as strict as they come when it comes to pricing and all dealers selling at the same price. I priced 3 places, including a place this is consistently lower than most and all 3 came back the same price to the penny. 

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

2 hours ago, eric61 said:

I’m exploring a move to graphite iron shafts to help with tennis elbow and a nagging old wrist injury. The Darts seem to be new enough that I can’t find EI profiles. 

How do they compare to something like an MMT 105? And/or any steel shafts you could compare them to?

Fwiw, if injury is only reason, I swapped steel to Modus 105 and it solved all wrist pain.

When I called PING, they stated they are not offering Modus 120 currently. Only the 105. 

PING G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

Titleist TSR2 15 Ventus 2024 Velocore Plus Blue 6S

Titleist TSi2 18 Ventus Velocore Red 7S

Titleist TSR2 5 (24) hybrid Tou Ad DI-85S

PING Blueprint S 5-7 DG S200

PING Blueprint T 8-W DG S200

Vokey SM10 Raw all DG S200 50-12F, 54-14F, 58-08M

PING Custom PLD Anser X stainless/Oyster

On 3/29/2023 at 1:56 PM, coreyhr said:

My Power Spec i230's are arriving on Friday. I plan on having a comparison Friday night on my GC2 and then on the course this weekend with my ZX7 Mk II's. I'll report back with numbers when I do. 

How you liking the zx7's? I actually just did the opposite been playing some i230's with DG 120's. Got zx7 with KBS 120's coming in monday. Played kbs in my previous set loved them. I230 are crazy consistent, not the biggest fan of the feel out on course

20 hours ago, realmfg said:

I have a 525 4 iron to go with my i230 5-PW, I agree I hate hitting the 525 it sounds atrocious and doesn't feel any good either. It sounds like you're shanking it. I hit it thinking i hit it bad i look down the ball mark is right in the middle.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 12:09 PM, eric61 said:

I played a ZX combo set last year and have i230s now. Dispersion I’d say without question, i230s are better. I also think both are quite forgiving. Biggest difference I noticed is i230s are more resistant to drawing too hard and are higher spin. The ZX7 8 iron was almost a full club longer for me than the i230 8 iron, presumably because of spin. At the 7 iron I went down to the ZX5 and it was also almost a club longer than the i230. But dispersion with the i230s is much, much better. 

All that said, I took lessons this winter and sort of don’t know if my comparison is meaningful, since my swing has changed. I’m delivering a bit more loft now. I’m interested to try the Srixons again at some point to get a head-to-head, same-day comparison. I’d love to pick up a little extra distance and get the amazing turf interaction of the V-sole back, but not at the cost of the i230’s resistance to hooks that used to plague me.

Had the same draw issues with the ZX7 that prompted me to try the i230. The i230 like most people have said, have crazy good distance control.  The problem I saw was like you, 8 iron and down way too much spin. I hit my Vokey 50F12 110-115 and I could only get to 105 with the U when stepping on it. So basically after 7 iron, there was a distance drop off by a full club that I didn’t like. Went back to to ZX5/7 combo last week and just felt my short iron distances were back. Going to stick the the srixons for now 

I took my i230’s out today and put them straight in the bag. To say it was windy in Alabama today is an understatement. It blew consistently at 25 and gusted over 30 mph all afternoon. Having said that, I was very impressed how these irons performed. I was still able to flight them and control the ball in the wind. Mine are power spec’d and have the same KBS Tour shafts as my ZX7’s. Just a couple of visual observations between the two in terms of real world ball flight. These do launch a tough higher than my ZX7’s, but not as much as I expected. Secondly, they are very much right biased for me. I also couldn’t help but notice how much they want to just stay on their start line. There’s virtually no curvature. It’s wild how much they just hold their line. I didn’t see any difference in carry numbers and my GC2 session supported that (I’ll post those numbers when I get back on a PC). My only dislike with these are the looks in comparison to the ZX7’s. The Srixons just look much cleaner and appear more like a players iron behind the ball. However, these do very much inspire confidence and is absolutely something I could get over. The feel is definitely not on par with a forged iron, but they feel great. Very powerful on well struck shots. I’m playing tomorrow in much more benign conditions and look forward to getting back out with these. I fully understand the hype now. 

Edited by coreyhr
  • Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60 S

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85 S

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95 X
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 S Black 

LAB DF3 Counterbalance - TPT Shaft

Still getting to know these irons. I think they feel pretty darn good for a cast club. Also these irons really don't curve that much if I'm swinging well and does have some fade bias. As someone who fights an over draw/pull draw I like the fade bias.  

Perhaps the reason some tour pros haven't put these in the bag is because they go so straight? I'm kidding, kind of... haha

17 hours ago, eric61 said:

Well I suddenly seem well placed to answer this, given my elbow injury and owning both shafts. 🙂

The Dart 105 f4 is very comparable to the MMT. I've been playing the MMT 105TX for a little over a year. Great shaft. No complaints. Just took some effort to load for me, even though I soft stepped them. The best part was tip torque is low, and that works best for me.

So I order the i230, and there's two big differences for me. I find the 230s about a club longer, but this is no shock as I'm moving from ping baby blades to power-spec'd 230s. The head of the 230 still looks monster-big to me. It shouldn't, but Blueprints for 4+ years, and everything looks big.

The other thing is the miss. When you miss with an MMT, it sorta goes dead and deflects. With the DART, you get that slight tearing feeling, but the energy is still there. Now this is just my description, and it may not make a lot of sense. It barely does to me. Words are difficult on this. But the DARTs are low torque, so they feel fairly similar through impact.

Since you're talking elbows, I can tell you I played today after a solid warmup, and it's not sore at all. So even if I didn't like them, I'd still use them because for me it is not stressing the elbow at all. The amount of polyurethane in the 230 may also play a part, but that's a benefit.

I plan to get my blueprints rebuilt by someone better at club-building, and soft stepping a second time (3-iron shaft in the 5, etc.) but that's just for fun. These guys are my main squeeze and will be until at least next summer. No post-round pain, and wind assisted hit my 8-iron pin high today 159m. Felt pretty flash, to be fair.

Order them built with exact swing weights, and you'll get them. I can easily justify these for the pain relief, and they flat out perform. They're just a bit chunky at times for me, but that's more me getting reacquainted with normal-sized clubs.

If you have a specific question you want, feel free to DM.

• Thanks 1

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

Anyone know the current lead time on a pretty basic set of i230's (only non-stock thing is Powerspec and LZ shafts)?

I ordered a set through PGA Superstore and they say they just come straight from Ping.

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

If they have the shafts, about a week from order plus shipping time. 

PING G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

Titleist TSR2 15 Ventus 2024 Velocore Plus Blue 6S

Titleist TSi2 18 Ventus Velocore Red 7S

Titleist TSR2 5 (24) hybrid Tou Ad DI-85S

PING Blueprint S 5-7 DG S200

PING Blueprint T 8-W DG S200

Vokey SM10 Raw all DG S200 50-12F, 54-14F, 58-08M

PING Custom PLD Anser X stainless/Oyster

7 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

Anyone know the current lead time on a pretty basic set of i230's (only non-stock thing is Powerspec and LZ shafts)?

I ordered a set through PGA Superstore and they say they just come straight from Ping.

My set, 4-G with DG 120 X100 at D3 swing weight have crossed the two week line. I was told to expect upwards of 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjp1 said:

Has anyone tried the i230 with the PX LS shaft?  Any feedback or comparison would be appreciated.

I'm using 230s with px ls 6.5. I don't have lm data because I don't have one. My 230s are power spec, I hit the ball high hence the power spec. Px ls 6.5 to me feels very smooth, nice loading at top and crisp snap through impact. The 125 gram weight feels lighter to me. I am coming out of dg x7 though. 

My opinion px ls has great trajectory control but still has nice buttery feel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TJ83 said:

I'm using 230s with px ls 6.5. I don't have lm data because I don't have one. My 230s are power spec, I hit the ball high hence the power spec. Px ls 6.5 to me feels very smooth, nice loading at top and crisp snap through impact. The 125 gram weight feels lighter to me. I am coming out of dg x7 though. 

My opinion px ls has great trajectory control but still has nice buttery feel. 

I second this. Just received this combo and loving them!

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Mizuno TI 15* - HZRDUS Green RDX 6.0

***Open to suggestions***

Mizuno Pro 245 with TT DG Mid 115 S300

Mizuno T24 54 and 60 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

Something special with these irons 

toe-up issues disappear and spin window management is in another league

hot and forgiving 

not much else I could ask for 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max - Accra Fx3.0 140-M0 / VA Nemesys 6-S

Mizuno ST-Max 3W - LIN-Q M40X Red 5F3

Ping G430 7W - AD-DI 7-S 
Cobra King Tour 4-PW - Modus 105-S
Cleveland RTX6 50 / 54 - DG spinner / 60 - Oban CT 125-S
PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack 

Got these back out for another round yesterday. Wasn't swinging the club the best, so got to test out the forgiveness aspect of these irons. They definitely are very friendly. I'm going to play my next round with my ZX7's tomorrow afternoon just to see how much differently they play. Here are some numbers from my GC2 from Friday night. As you can see, there is very little between the two in terms of numbers. This is a very small sample size however, as I was pressed for time. But it appears the power spec version of the i230's at least are far from spinny or short in carry. 

Ball Speed  Launch Angle  Side Angle Side Spin  Back Spin  Tilt Angle  Total Spin  Peak Height  Carry  Range  Offline  Descent Angle 

i230 7  118.0 19.3 1.3 -276.3 5356.3 -3.0 5364.3 33.7 168.5 168.6 -0.8 47.1
ZX7 7 118.0 18.8 -0.2 -445.3 5244.3 -4.9 5264.3 32.7 169.3 168.9 -7.6 46.6
ZX7 9 103.6 24.2 -0.2 -592.3 6245.3 -5.5 6278.0 32.0 139.7 139.4 -6.6 49.0
i230 9 104.8 24.9 1.5 -478.5 6530.8 -4.2 6549.5 33.8 140.3 140.2 -1.2 50.2

880077196_i230vsZX7.jpg.18a41dd51f20cbf50d070f408724818c.jpg

Edited by coreyhr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60 S

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85 S

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95 X