2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Could Tiger be done?

donnygolf

You know what's awesome about Tiger Woods? One more PGA Tour win is worth more to him than nearly a billion dollars. 

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

13 hours ago, PowderedToastMan said:

You know what's awesome about Tiger Woods? One more PGA Tour win is worth more to him than nearly a billion dollars. 

It's almost like the Richard measuring contest of adding more millions to your existing pile of millions isn't the most important thing to some people. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Curse that hilly California road and the illusion of handling from those sporty SUV's. He was gonna have a third act, and it was taken from him just like that. He deserves better. Unfortunately the universe is indifferent. 

Deserves??

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Curse that hilly California road and the illusion of handling from those sporty SUV's. He was gonna have a third act, and it was taken from him just like that. He deserves better. Unfortunately the universe is indifferent. 

Curse that dozing off or spilling coffee in his lap while going way too fast.  Thousands of people go down that road every day with no problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KNOWMOREDOUBLES said:

Deserves??

Yes, deserves. He was finding a way to coax his best golf out of the time he had left with his surgically repaired spine. Seeing a few more seasons of that would have been a fitting send off to one of the greatest athletes in the history of sport. Deserves is probably a stretch since he choose to drive recklessly, but I feel he's earned it none the less. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, farmer said:

Curse that dozing off or spilling coffee in his lap while going way too fast.  Thousands of people go down that road every day with no problem.

Had those been the cause, I'm sure he'd have said that. Tiger trained to be a seal, fired guns, worked out like a madman, I doubt it's a stretch he enjoys pushing a car closer to the edge on a thrilling winding road.  What you generally don't do when your driving on the edge and you bin it, is admit to it. 

3 hours ago, KNOWMOREDOUBLES said:

It is scary to think what might have been had he not made so many lousy decisions.

Good to see the Golfwrx morality squad is still alive and well.

People live their lives. Tiger just happened to live his for the whole world to see. 

33 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Yes, deserves. He was finding a way to coax his best golf out of the time he had left with his surgically repaired spine. Seeing a few more seasons of that would have been a fitting send off to one of the greatest athletes in the history of sport. Deserves is probably a stretch since he choose to drive recklessly, but I feel he's earned it none the less. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KNOWMOREDOUBLES said:

Morality squad?  He made lousy decisions, period.  They cost him a lot of his career.  We have all made lousy decisions at one time or another.  

What was lousy exactly?  Working out too much, injuring his body? It could also be said that kind of fanatical dedication made him the winner he was. What's the other, he liked to get laid? Lot of people like that. Lot of people get divorced also. They just aren't public figures.  Where is the next one? Made a mistake with pain meds and also had to take that one on the chin in the press? what's the last, driving recklessly? I'll give you that one because it's pretty clear. The rest, well, it would be dignified to try and give Tiger some semblance of the privacy the rest of us take for granted. 

You don't do what Tiger has done in life by making a bunch of lousy decisions. Your initial comment lacked context, and to be quite honest, it is preachy. Judge Tiger for the golf he's played. In my opinion, its pretty crass to pass judgement on the rest.  So yes, morality squad. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Thinking the fact that he was on massive prescription drugs which cause him to black out contributed. He doesn’t deserve better as much of his issues were self inflicted. And I am a huge fan of the guy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

What was lousy exactly?  Working out too much, injuring his body? It could also be said that kind of fanatical dedication made him the winner he was. What's the other, he liked to get laid? Lot of people like that. Lot of people get divorced also. They just aren't public figures.  Where is the next one? Made a mistake with pain meds and also had to take that one on the chin in the press? what's the last, driving recklessly? I'll give you that one because it's pretty clear. The rest, well, it would be dignified to try and give Tiger some semblance of the privacy the rest of us take for granted. 

You don't do what Tiger has done in life by making a bunch of lousy decisions. Your initial comment lacked context, and to be quite honest, it is preachy. Judge Tiger for the golf he's played. In my opinion, its pretty crass to pass judgement on the rest.  So yes, morality squad. 

Taking his pain meds then jumping in a vehicle and getting a driving while impaired violation.  His choices, his consequences.  Getting laid, freaking great.  He knew what he was doing, he knows he is in the public eye, he made his decision, now deal with the consequences.  Deserves?!  That is BS.  If someone blew through a red light and blind sided him, he would not have deserved that. 

30 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

You sound like a Tiger Woods apologist.  His "lousy decisions" cost his golf career no matter how you try to spin it.  Tiger made it to where he is despite all of the lousy decisions he made and we'll never know what he might have done if he hadn't made them.  He doesn't deserve any more or less than any one else.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

10 minutes ago, KNOWMOREDOUBLES said:

Taking his pain meds then jumping in a vehicle and getting a driving while impaired violation.  His choices, his consequences.  Getting laid, freaking great.  He knew what he was doing, he knows he is in the public eye, he made his decision, now deal with the consequences.  Deserves?!  That is BS.  If someone blew through a red light and blind sided him, he would not have deserved that. 

Just please simultaneously acknowledge that he also made numerous, numerous great decisions that produced arguably the best golf career of all time.

He lived one of the most disciplined life of any athlete we've ever seen: training, eating, sleeping his craft to produce an incredible level of performance.

Where many guys would slack off or go partying, Tiger was practicing golf or working out.

Yes he had a demise and made bad choices, also.

But to only talk about the bad and ignore that he was a freaking machine for many years, is a very unbalanced and negative perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mattwood said:

You sound like a Tiger Woods apologist.  His "lousy decisions" cost his golf career no matter how you try to spin it.  Tiger made it to where he is despite all of the lousy decisions he made and we'll never know what he might have done if he hadn't made them.  He doesn't deserve any more or less than any one else.

Tiger made it to where he is despite all of the lousy decisions because he probably made 9 good decisions for every 1 bad decision.

It sounds like you're literally holding him to the standard of Perfection.

Did you expect him to win 120 Tournaments and 25 Majors?

Good grief. For you to ignore all of the ways he contributed to his all time great level career is ridiculous. 

Do you know what percentage of people would have just sailed into the sunset after 5 Majors? Does having the desire and fortitude to push toward 15 count for nothing? 

Here's some lousy decisions that cost his golf career (or do we just not talk about these years of hard work?):

spacer.png

Edited by straightshot7
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, straightshot7 said:

Just please simultaneously acknowledge that he also made numerous, numerous great decisions that produced arguably the best golf career of all time.

He lived one of the most disciplined life of any athlete we've ever seen: training, eating, sleeping his craft to produce an incredible level of performance.

Where many guys would slack off or go partying, Tiger was practicing golf or working out.

Yes he had a demise and made bad choices, also.

But to only talk about the bad and ignore that he was a freaking machine for many years, is a very unbalanced and negative perspective. 

Tiger is one of the two greatest players of all time.  My only point is he doesn't deserve more.   If he didn't go through (by his decisions) what he did he may be sitting at 25 majors or more.  It would have been unbelievable to watch and it kind of ticks me off we didn't get the chance.

Edited by KNOWMOREDOUBLES

2 hours ago, mattwood said:

Not an apologist, just not a hypocrite. Gifted human beings generally come with their collection of issues, to understand that is to have wisdom, perspective, compassion, and insight. Tiger is a complex individual with flaws, but to simply say he is a lousy decision maker and that his behavior did more to harm his accomplishments than create them is a gross inaccuracy.   

• Like 3

9 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

Tiger made it to where he is despite all of the lousy decisions because he probably made 9 good decisions for every 1 bad decision.

It sounds like you're literally holding him to the standard of Perfection.

Did you expect him to win 120 Tournaments and 25 Majors?

Good grief. For you to ignore all of the ways he contributed to his all time great level career is ridiculous. 

Do you know what percentage of people would have just sailed into the sunset after 5 Majors? Does having the desire and fortitude to push toward 15 count for nothing? 

Here's some lousy decisions that cost his golf career (or do we just not talk about these years of hard work?):

spacer.png

Didn't say he didn't make any good decisions nor have I ignored them. I'm just saying that the bad decisions he did make did cost his personal life AND his golf career.

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

16 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

He created he's own life from day one like all of us. Whatever hits us today is because we created it. He's no special being to miss out.

14 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

You forgot the subject at hand...Tiger....so yes, some of his decisions in life have been "lousy"....i would actually use the word stupid.

Hey, don't have a dog in the fight. He can live his life how he sees fit. Remember though, the Karma bus always hits head on. It hurts.

• Like 1

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

9 hours ago, NoFancyUsername. said:

He created he's own life from day one like all of us. Whatever hits us today is because we created it. He's no special being to miss out.

You forgot the subject at hand...Tiger....so yes, some of his decisions in life have been "lousy"....i would actually use the word stupid.

Hey, don't have a dog in the fight. He can live his life how he sees fit. Remember though, the Karma bus always hits head on. It hurts.

Using the word deserves in the initial comment was a mistake. I wrote that post from my perspective as a driving enthusiast. I should remember that the majority of people aren't enthusiasts. The majority of people obey the speed limit to get around safely.

I was thinking in terms of the car (or rather SUV posing as a car) he was in. A vehicle that probably couldn't handle the hill leading into the turn that sent him off. I've driven some of those crossovers and they pretend to handle, but they don't when you start chucking them around. They are actually quite dangerous. You feel like you're in a sporty sedan with a properly positioned center of gravity, a proper suspension, and appropriate braking ability until you push them a bit and you realize that they are only engineered to give you the allusion of those things so you'll sign the bank note. 

So, was he late, impaired, distracted? or was he having fun and it bit him in the a**? I don't know, and I'm not sure it's been said. So, purely speculation on my part to think he was pushing the car, but I like to think he would drive that way. If I had to speculate, I would imagine he was driving the way he's used to in his proper Merc sport sedan, which was a mistake in that Genesis parade float. 

As for the second post, Tiger was the only subject at hand, but as I reread, I can see I'm putting it through the lens of the complete lack of privacy that modern celebrities have to live under.

It makes me wonder how we'd view some of the past greats of the game if they were scrutinized in the same way. I know of at least one loved figure who could have taken the Pepsi challenge with Tiger on the infidelity front.  But we'll never know, because back then journalism had integrity, and people had healthier ways to feel better about themselves.

So, I'll wear the beating you all have given me, it's not the first, and it won't be the last. I appreciate and enjoy the discourse. But all of you 20/20 hindsight life coaches, your act can get a little tired now and again. If you truly understand respect, then you understand that you judge a man like Tiger Woods on what he's accomplished, you don't postulate about what could have been if he wasn't a human being with flaws. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

If Tiger wasn’t such a lunatic, he would never have become/been the Tiger we saw destroy everybody for those 10 years. 

TW was just amped up, obsessed, reckless, on the course and off.

Cant have one without the other in his case. 

This is just so on point. Hank Haney has gone off the deep end, but back when he was somewhat grounded, he'd have called all of this part of "the package." Everything in the package, good and bad, is what makes Tiger Woods Tiger Woods. 

• Like 2

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I've had a handful of surgeries and plenty of injuries..... sometimes it takes way longer then what the Doctors say to get back your body back to par let alone be able to improve your skills compared to preinjury

Shattered elbow... everyone says oh you'll play golf etc in a few months post surgery... Couldnt even use the arm athletically for over 3 years and forearm pain bad

Labrum shoulder surgery.... they said 1 year, took 1.5 years to get back on the softball field and still took time to drop bombs

Its golf there is no thing as retirement lol.... Even if takes couple more years to feel better, Tiger can come back then no biggie.... he'll still be able to yack over 3 bills no problem and further then the shorter guys lol

Can't figure how to like my own posts

1 hour ago, PowderedToastMan said:

Everything in the package, good and bad, is what makes Tiger Woods Tiger Woods. 

Everybody has vices. Jordan had a gambling problem. These people aren't perfect. 

I won't really take Tiger to task on the infidelity. It's a dick thing to do to your wife and kids but he isn't the 1st mega-celeb to fall into that trap. I think a much higher % of people would succumb to the same temptations than they'd willingly admit. 

The one thing I would call Tiger out for is choosing to jump out of planes and train with the seals while at the height of his powers. That was just reckless and stupid and I'd argue is the primary driver of nearly every negative outcome since. Who knows why he went down that path, I'm sure it had to do with his Dad. Regardless, I can't think of another generational level athlete that did something similar. Jordan wasn't engaging in UFC fight for kicks. Brady didn't take up bull fighting to fill some hole. Ken Griffey Jr. didn't wrestle alligators to prove his toughness to his father.

Its all water under the bridge now but it is pretty disappointing that we didn't get to see Tiger chase down and run past Jack's 18, knockdown 100+ tour wins, etc.