Advice for new clubmaker…

JackGatling

I’ve recently started doing most of my own club work (reshafting irons, messing around with swing weights, etc…) and have really enjoyed it. I have been thinking about trying to do some repairs or custom builds for people locally, and maybe even eventually online.

I would love to get some general advice from the community before I dive to deep into this.

What tool/piece of equipment have did you think you needed and hardly use? What are the must haves?

Favorite places to source supplies/equipment and parts?

Things you wish you knew before you started down this rabbit hole? General advice?

I have done a lot of digging through the forum and have learned a lot, but I appreciate any tips or advice you guys can throw my way.

I have a Frequency Analyzer but never use it as I don't do .370 Parallel shafts in my builds.   I did use it after FLO'ing shafts to identify the strong plane, but no longer go to such trouble as I feel FLO / Spine'ing shafts is overrated ( in a nutshell, a golf swing is not an oscillation ).

I also have the Auditor MOI device, but whether I build to MOI via Swing-Weight methods ( 1.333 SWP per inch ) or via the Auditor, I usually end up further fine-tuning via lead tape based on feel, even though "the math is perfect".

Must Have:

- good SW Scale

- a good ruler

- 1" belt sander

- abrasive chop saw

- a good vise

- gripping setup ( I only use single-sided tape & a compressor, so no need for solvents, solvent collection, etc  )

- lots of supplies -> all sorts of tip weights and ferrules

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag -> 12 clubs
Titleist TSR2 11*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

King Tec Forged 19* Hybrid  |  MMT 70R
Mizuno JPX-923 23* & 26* Hybrid  |  Recoil 95S
Wilson D9 Forged 6-GW  |  Steelfiber i95cw-R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58*  |  Steelfiber i110cw-X

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips  |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

2 minutes ago, ShortGolfer said:

Air compressor for blowing grips on and off is a must have.

Hard disagree. 

grips that don’t slip > grips that slip 

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-AW - Nippon Modus 120x (ssx1)

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

The tip and 18v inflator I use:

IMG_2889.jpg.6d77169a571fd670656aa19ded7dfc8d.jpgIMG_2883.jpg.39c727a1c31614ca775538919eb4de99.jpg

Edited by subrew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Taylormade M4 10.5* (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 16* and 20* Hybrid (Adams Utralight 50g) 

Mizuno T-Zoid Fli-Hi 21* (Adams Ultralight 50g)

Bridgestone Forged J Joes 3-9, PW, P/S, S (True Temper DT Lite)

Wilson Harmonized Wedge 60*

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

A dedicated work area and mini lathe is nice!

A mini lathe works great on golf sized stuff.  I use mine to turn ferrules into alignment fixtures that are glued into place.  

I learned that gluing driver adapters that have precisely shaped ferrules.  Then I did a Ping wedge and learned about collared ferrules.  Bought just what I needed on eBay.

Easy enough for me to make my own collared ferrules like the ones used on Ping clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, I've done the same too.  One of the set of iron heads I've built up (maybe the MacGregor) has a rather obvious step to the inside of the hosel. So I turned a corresponding step on the ferrule.  Everything was a nice tight dry fit before the epoxy stage.  

• Thanks 1

Taylormade M4 10.5* (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 16* and 20* Hybrid (Adams Utralight 50g) 

Mizuno T-Zoid Fli-Hi 21* (Adams Ultralight 50g)

Bridgestone Forged J Joes 3-9, PW, P/S, S (True Temper DT Lite)

Wilson Harmonized Wedge 60*

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

I do my own clubmaking and am on a limited budget. Here is my list:

1. grip reshafting rod to install and remove grips w/o damaging them.

2. graphite shaft extractor, I think Golfworks has the cheapest model that works well.

3. propane torch.

4. rubber shaft clamp

Everything else can be cobbbled together from a local hardware store fairly cheaply, sandpaper, round files, epoxy,etc, I for one don't have a vice clamp nor a workbench.

No sw balance is really needed, the balance point can be measured and with the overall weight the SW can be calculated using an easy formula.

• Thanks 1

Technique:

1. Hogan -  Active leg tension, 2. Forward press, 3. Torres - club over right shoulder 

Only swing thought - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder

2 hours ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

Hard disagree. 

grips that don’t slip > grips that slip 

Never had a blown on grip slip yet.. it literally makes grip change a breeze. 

Some of the things I have found to be very useful..

• Swing weight scale
  • Heat gun.. you can use propane torch as well but requires some more delicate touch if you are working with graphite shafts
  • At least a basic shaft puller.. a must have if you want to pull graphite shafts with burn them into a crisp
  • A Dremel tool. Have used it from cutting graphite shaft to cleaning out hosel and many other things I can't remember now. It is also used to drill out epoxy left in the the shaft tip as a shaft would not go in all the way if the tip is sealed shut because of the air being trapped. 
  • Pipe cutter for cutting steel shafts. 
  • Rubber shaft clamp
  • Air compressor
  • Grip removal tool

Some tools I wish I got every time when I need one

• Belt sander
  • Small Chop saw

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PXG 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0211ST 4-G Elevate Tour X VSS

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Chrome 58*

Callaway X Forged 64*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

4 minutes ago, mister2cool said:

Never had a blown on grip slip yet.. it literally makes grip change a breeze. 

I’ve heard stories go both ways. If it works for you it works for you! 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

Just now, ChristopherMcDonald said:

I’ve heard stories go both ways. If it works for you it works for you! 👍🏼

It has more to do with the type of grips. Some stretches more so they are tight enough to have enough friction. Some others are not as tight so I typically add a little tape to help with the squeeze. 

Ok.. get that mind out of the gutter now. 🤣

• Haha 1

PXG 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0211ST 4-G Elevate Tour X VSS

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Chrome 58*

Callaway X Forged 64*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

I appreciate all of the replies! Sounds like I’m definitely on the right track as far as the equipment goes, I’ve got my eye on the belt sander/shaft cutter combo that golfworks sells.

Ive definitely ruined a few ferrules using the shoe shine method with sandpaper, I have a hard time keeping the right taper on the ferrule without making the end farthest up the shaft too thin

2 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

Air compressor for blowing grips on and off is a must have.

Bad advice for a business! You'll get a reputation as a builder who cuts corners because some proportion of no tape air-installed grips will slip.

• Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

1 hour ago, JackGatling said:

I appreciate all of the replies! Sounds like I’m definitely on the right track as far as the equipment goes, I’ve got my eye on the belt sander/shaft cutter combo that golfworks sells.

Ive definitely ruined a few ferrules using the shoe shine method with sandpaper, I have a hard time keeping the right taper on the ferrule without making the end farthest up the shaft too thin

I've seen people grab too wide of ferrule pretty commonly. I'd recommend a heat gun, and a ferrule installer. Best to heat up a tight fitting ferrule and jam it then it is to get a ferrule that's too loose and comes unattached within a couple weeks and slides up the shaft.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend, golfworks sells an entire clubmaking kit and everything included would make your life easier. 

30 minutes ago, McScoots said:

Do people really do this? I thought the air compressor replaced the solvent in the equation, not the tape

I dont use double sided tape.  You are correct. You can blow on a grip with or without solvent, but for testing and saving grips, I use masking tape and make sure it is the right diameter.  If you don't know what you are doing grips can slip. That goes for many aspects if club building. 

• Like 3

PING G400 Max w/ Aldila Rogue Silver
Wishon 929  Fairway - Aldila Rogue Max

Wishon 929 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black

Wishon Sterling Irons - FST 115
Cleveland CBX Zipcore Wedges - Nippon Modus 115 

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Cevevelend HB SOFT 11 - SGC modified 

Not to be disrespectful but I suggest gaining a lot more knowledge and experience before charging others for your work, except maybe a few buddies.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber HY r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby TSW 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4

12 minutes ago, AmateurAmateur said:

I've seen people grab too wide of ferrule pretty commonly. I'd recommend a heat gun, and a ferrule installer. Best to heat up a tight fitting ferrule and jam it then it is to get a ferrule that's too loose and comes unattached within a couple weeks and slides up the shaft.

Depending on how much you are looking to spend, golfworks sells an entire clubmaking kit and everything included would make your life easier. 

"Depending on how much you are looking to spend, golfworks sells an entire clubmaking kit and everything included would make your life easier. "

This. Or use it as a guideline for what you'll need and piecemeal it. I'd suggest going to their club making school or Mitchell's, if you are serious. And then practice, practice, practice before you hang your sign. 

Don't expect to get rich or even make a living. It's great if you have other income coming in. Fun work, good luck! 

• Like 1

IMO Air is for experimenting with grips, but solvent/tape on gamers/customers. I have had grips twist while swinging (Usually at the butt) Also have noticed the grips creep a bit. I don't have any interest in saving a used grip(Unless its a putter grip and I tend to blow those on since I change them out all the time). If I'm going to spend the time installing grips I want them to be new. No better feeling then playing with fresh grips(I change mine every season.) 

Also, I think a loft/lie machine is critical if you are reshafting for other people. I wouldn't let anyone touch my clubs unless I knew they could build them to spec. 

Edited by chinaski
  • Like 2

TSi3 9˚ HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX- 44.75"

TSi2 15˚ AV Blue Raw 75S - 42.5"

TSi2 18˚ AV Blue Raw 75S - 42"

Z 745 4-PW - DG S300

(GP BCT)

RTX-4 50M/56F/60L - TI S400

(GP Z-Cord)

SC 2014 Select Newport - iOmic 75G

Pro V1X

34 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Disagree with this. 

My grips never slip. As long as you have an appropriate wrap/tape underneath, you will never have issues. 

Blowing off grips has saved me many many hundreds of dollars by reusing and experimenting. 

Yep just like the other bloke, if it works for you awesome, I’m not here to tell you to switch things up. A non-zero amount of grip types will slip with air install and to me that’s enough to splurge on the (reusable) mineral spirits, especially if you’re doing more than just building for yourself or friends, which it sounds like OP is trying to venture into.

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

4 hours ago, subrew said:

The tip and 18v inflator I use:

IMG_2889.jpg.6d77169a571fd670656aa19ded7dfc8d.jpgIMG_2883.jpg.39c727a1c31614ca775538919eb4de99.jpg

How does this work?  I just bought one for airing up kids toys and never thought about using it for blowing on grips.

That said, when you see a video of a tour truck gripping a club they NEVER use air, so for me, its solvent all day long.  But I'd like to try air to get grips off because I have about $2,000 worth of Z Cords on random shafts, lol.  

LTDx LS 9* - SIM2 15* - SIM2 19* - G425 5i - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62* - F22

Just now, 5hort5tuff said:

I agree that if you are building for others as a business, it may be smarter to use tape and solvent.  

I dont think the grips slip if done correctly. To each their own, but I use gripmaster wraps and I'm not cutting off a $30 grip to switch it to another club. 

I've been blowing on my grips with an old tire inflator since 2009. I have never had any grips slip on any of my clubs. I use masking tape or blue painters tape. It's saved me a ton of money. I've changed my grips four times this yr. I recently put on my grips I like to use when it is cold.

The funny thing is I have only put on grips for one of my friends. I told him to get the grips and I would put them on for free. He gets some of the cheapest grips he can find on Amazon. I blow them on and half of them slip on him our next time out. I'm guessing the inside diameters were all over the place. I had to reinstall them with tape and solvent. They were ok after that. I had to buy tape and solvent and when I charged him for the materials he gets bent out of shape. He says you said free..

I would agree if I was running a business and charging to install grips I would use tape and solvent. Do it right.

40 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

How does this work?  I just bought one for airing up kids toys and never thought about using it for blowing on grips.

That said, when you see a video of a tour truck gripping a club they NEVER use air, so for me, its solvent all day long.  But I'd like to try air to get grips off because I have about $2,000 worth of Z Cords on random shafts, lol.  

It’s not easy to get grips off if they were installed with double sided tape. Most will blow up before they start moving. 

I use air for my grips. After I figured out how to do it properly, I have never had one slip.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI2
Callaway Super Hybrid

Titleist T510 22*

Vokey SM8 56M

Odyssey White Hot #2