Forced to use the locker room for putting on golf shoes.

DomJones

5 hours ago, DomJones said:

Wanted to hear people’s opinions on having to use the locker room to put on your golf shoes. This rule seems to be less common now, but I understand that changing in the parking lot can look unprofessional especially at nicer private courses. 

And if the shoe machine is not convenient the debris off shoes will leave a mess in the parking area

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DomJones said:

Wanted to hear people’s opinions on having to use the locker room to put on your golf shoes. This rule seems to be less common now, but I understand that changing in the parking lot can look unprofessional especially at nicer private courses. 

Is there a sign at the entrance to the parking lot "Welcome! Change your shoes in the locker room" ? Must give a nice impression.

I personally prefer putting my shoes on in the locker room but I keep a pair in my trunk if I’m just going to the practice area and am crutches for time. 

Im ok with clubs that require this as each club has rules to help maintain their own unique culture. Just make sure there is a bag drop attendant that I can ask what the rules are and where the locker room is. 

• Like 3

I've been doing it for years, as it's the policy at both clubs at which I've played my golf as well as pretty much every other course I've played as a visitor. I've never batted an eyelid. If it's the club's rule, I abide by it. It's their club, so they get to make the rules. If the Secretary and the Captain ever visit my house they'll abide by mine.

The only rule I vehemently disagree with is the requirement where I live to wear knee length socks with shorts. I wear trousers exclusively as a latent protest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

There is a practical reason for this at clubs in our area. Guests often track in poa seeds and other unwanted plant matter on their shoes. By asking them to change shoes in the locker room it gives our staff a chance to clean off the bottom of their shoes and keep our practice green and first couple course greens poa free. (Or at least as free as possible.)

• Like 2

No problem from me. There is a good reason for the rule, and changing your shoes in the locker room is more comfortable and then you have them right there for after the round.

Also I am fine sitting on my trunk. No big deal either way. 

• Like 2

There's nothing more unsightly or off putting than people changing clothes in the parking lot of the club you pay good money to be a member of. It's kind of a death by 1000 cuts application, it starts with changing shoes, then shirts, then pants, then who knows what next on the slippery slope. If you want to change your clothes and shoes in the parking lot, go play the local muni's instead.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For many people (myself included), golf is about the total experience, and not just playing 18 holes.  Clubs pour millions of dollars into facilities to enhance the enjoyment of the day, and as a guest (or member) we should take advantage of what clubs have to offer.  Certainly there are times at my club when I go from trunk to tee and leave after my putt drops on 18, but if I am going to play a club as a guest I am going to stretch my 4 hour round into a 7 hour event.  I actually get a little giddy when I have to pull out my shoe bag from my closet to take into a locker room where the attendant has written my name on a tag and placed it on guest locker stocked with a fresh towel.  I want to see the facility and have lunch before the round.  After the round I want to put on my comfortable shoes and have drinks in the grille or lounge after freshening up in the locker room.

Does every club need to have this policy?  Of course not.  However, setting the standard before even setting foot in the door leads to an overall heightened experience.

First time I had to deal with this was odd. I wasn't necessarily against it, but it wasn't what I was used to. Having had to change shoes in the locker room, however, I am all for it now. It removes the banging of shoes in the parking lot, the grass and dirt all over the ground; which to me gives off a nice first impression

2 hours ago, Schulzmc said:

There is a practical reason for this at clubs in our area. Guests often track in poa seeds and other unwanted plant matter on their shoes. By asking them to change shoes in the locker room it gives our staff a chance to clean off the bottom of their shoes and keep our practice green and first couple course greens poa free. (Or at least as free as possible.)

Spot on. Providing a "why" behind the policy is always a +. Send out a yearly, monthly communication on why certain policies are the way they are. For example:

Changing shoes in the locker room versus the parking lot allows for your golf course to remain poa/blue/bermuda free. This results in the grounds crew spending fewer dollars on chemical treatment, and your golf course remains in better condition.

or

Our club has a rich history and profound respect to the game. Calf socks or trousers are to be worn by men at all times to uphold the tradition set out by our founding members. (or something cheesy and cerebral like that) 

• Like 1

No serious feelings either way. If they require it, no skin off my back. One of my buddy's clubs is like that, but mine isn't. If I don't feel like going to the locker room i'll just throw my shoes on inside my car. 

Lefty

Mavrik - Rogue White 60TX

TS2 15* - Tensei White 75X

ZU85 3UDI - Tensei Blue 85TX

Z785 4-PW - X100

MD5 10S 52* 

MD3  12S 56*

Jaws Raw 60* 12X

Phantom 5.5

1 hour ago, 503Mike said:

What do they do about members/guests who show up in spikeless shoes? I switched to spikeless years ago and will never go back, so I roll into the parking lot, grab my clubs and head to the first tee without having to change into or out of anything.

Yeah - I get that and used to do that as well. But our course super pointed out to me that I was tracking all manner of stuff on to the practice green and course. Now at my home course I change shoes in the locker room and when visiting elsewhere I make sure I check to see if the course has a station to clean (brushes or compressed air) my shoes before I head on to the course. Takes a couple minutes and if everyone would do it it would help the grounds crew immensely. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davep043 said:

Much like certain dress code requirements, I'm fine with this if that's the club's policy.  I'm fine if the club requires over-the-calf socks to be worn with shorts, or if they require long pants, I'm fine if they restrict cell-phone use to certain areas.  I'm happy if they require hats to be worn with the bill forward.  If I'm a guest somewhere, I'm happy to follow their policies.  

Is there really a sock rule anywhere?  That's hideous if true.

2 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

There are places in the world where everyone gets a locker. What's not to like about it?

The trouble of going to the locker and back twice..?

When playing on my home course I always put my shoes on at home and remove them after the round at the parking lot. Quick and easy.

Edited by Mr. Bean

8 minutes ago, BCC1898 said:

https://www.muirfield.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Dress-Code.pdf

I first saw it maybe 30 years ago at a small course near Sydney, Australia, and I've noticed it occasionally in Visitor Information when I travel.  Its less common now than it used to be, I believe.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BCC1898 said:

Sock rules are diminishing but are not that uncommon in Australia in some form. 50 years ago, calf length "walk" socks were normal and generally required when wearing shorts. As they fell out of favour and short socks became the norm, the golf courses generally went the same way, although the fussier clubs stipulated things like no logos (white only) or "must be no shorter than ankle length". These days few go there although many clubs still stipulate no "football" socks - calf length socks in strong (often laterally striped) football club colours. So Australian golf has a rich, diverse sock history.

And if we are going to get all technical about the issue, we should acknowledge the close links with the evolution of shorts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, antip said:

And if we are going to get all technical about the issue, we should acknowledge the close links with the evolution of shorts.

I read this and thought of my visits to Bermuda, where shorts are common business attire, properly tailored, worn with jacket and tie, and always with over-the-calf socks.

This place is the greatest. A LOT of the previous posts don’t pass the common sense test. 

Changing shoes in the locker room instead of the parking lot is going to keep less Poa getting to the greens? Is there only Poa IN the parking lot??? Come on. I’m about to walk 7 miles, with those shoes, across every single green and rough, and fairway. 45 steps from my car to the front door is going to bring in more poa? Crazy. 

Judging a club by how their PARKING LOT looks? Really? 

Hearing the banging of shoes in the lot after a round? Would it be preferred to bang them in the locker room? That seems like silliness. In the lot, the dirt etc is just going to melt away in the rain/wind. In the locker room, it’s going to pile up and be gross going from the shower to the locker. 

Guest locker? Where is that? That’d be awesome. I’ve played some NICE private courses in my life and never been offered a guest locker. 

Here’s how the “no changing shoes in the lot” actually goes. I get there, grab my shoes. I carry them from my car to the locker room. I put on my golf shoes. Then I carry my shoes, with my golf shoes on, back out to my car in the lot. Then I walk with my golf shoes back to the clubhouse and the practice green. I’ve had to traverse the lot twice with my golf shoes on, instead of once, if I was allowed to change them in the lot. 

This forum is the best. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Augster said:

This place is the greatest. A LOT of the previous posts don’t pass the common sense test. 

Changing shoes in the locker room instead of the parking lot is going to keep less Poa getting to the greens? Is there only Poa IN the parking lot??? Come on. I’m about to walk 7 miles, with those shoes, across every single green and rough, and fairway. 45 steps from my car to the front door is going to bring in more poa? Crazy. 

Judging a club by how their PARKING LOT looks? Really? 

Hearing the banging of shoes in the lot after a round? Would it be preferred to bang them in the locker room? That seems like silliness. In the lot, the dirt etc is just going to melt away in the rain/wind. In the locker room, it’s going to pile up and be gross going from the shower to the locker. 

Guest locker? Where is that? That’d be awesome. I’ve played some NICE private courses in my life and never been offered a guest locker. 

Here’s how the “no changing shoes in the lot” actually goes. I get there, grab my shoes. I carry them from my car to the locker room. I put on my golf shoes. Then I carry my shoes, with my golf shoes on, back out to my car in the lot. Then I walk with my golf shoes back to the clubhouse and the practice green. I’ve had to traverse the lot twice with my golf shoes on, instead of once, if I was allowed to change them in the lot. 

This forum is the best. 

I'm actually curious what nice clubs you’ve played and not been offered a locker, unless you just had a lazy host. Seems pretty standard. Any club that would request shoes changed in the locker room should have a guest locker for you. There also shouldn’t be a one smacking the shoes or leaving a mess the attendant should clean the shoes and make sure the floor stays clean. 

11 hours ago, 503Mike said:

What do they do about members/guests who show up in spikeless shoes? I switched to spikeless years ago and will never go back, so I roll into the parking lot, grab my clubs and head to the first tee without having to change into or out of anything.

Yeah,  I just wear them from the house if I'm going to such a place where it might be an issue. Or, I just change them in the car.  I'm just trying to play golf not get all ceremonial.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, davep043 said:

I read this and thought of my visits to Bermuda, where shorts are common business attire, properly tailored, worn with jacket and tie, and always with over-the-calf socks.

My honeymoon was in Bermuda.  Many pictures of me looking ridiculous with shorts, tall socks and shoes with tassels.  When in Rome....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

I suppose that is fairly common in the frey bonnie Scotland...

Are shorts even an option in Scotland?  Average high in July in Edinburgh is 65F/18.5C.  Pants are the norm 99.9% of the time.

Come walk in the Southeast US in July on a hilly course when it is 95/35 with 90% humidity and see if long socks are an option.

• Like 1