Anthony Kim - Gawd I miss this guy (THREADS MERGED)

mosesgolf

4 hours ago, grm24 said:

So AK is their newest version of Sihwan Kim? The same player that in a mercenary event shot 87-63-76 last year? The same player that finished near last most weeks over two years on that tour. So now AK is their newest player that will finish near the bottom of the field every week. Good for AK for shooting under par. What a reason to celebrate. <enter sarcastic golf clap>

Any player that finished behind AK in these exhibition events after 3 rounds should be immediately relegated. 

The nostalgia some of you hold for AK is nice. But it's only a mirage you're creating in your own minds. 

Well to be honest Sihwan Kim is no Anthony Kim.  We all know Anthony Kim.  We’ve seen what Anthony Kim can do (like the birdie record at the Masters in a round, Ryder Cup Hero, urban legend 3time Tour winner).   Comparing Sihwan to AK is like comparing a no name K Pop band to BTS.   THAT’s like comparing Dan Quayle to JFK.  🤣

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Ping G430 LST 98 VenTUS Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

12 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Correct. At this point it's likely Sihwan Kim is the better golfer and is more well off financially after robbing the mercenary tour the last two years playing the part that AK is playing now.

You and others like to keep hanging on to what AK accomplished 15 years and a lifetime ago. That player/competitor no longer exists. It didn't even exist before he quit the PGA Tour before his achilles issue. I mean look how giddy you and others are getting because he simply shot one good round while finishing 50th. What a cause for celebration for a journeyman. /s 

You want to root for a great golf story instead of some returning player taking the easy way out after 13 years? Read up on the odyssey Matteo Manassero has been on over the last 10+ years. Former top 25 player in the world. It's been a long brutal downfall for him and finally he's back in the winners circle on a major golf tour. When things got tough he didn't sulk, take his ball and go home and disappear into hiding like AK did. MM kept on playing, trying and failing despite numerous poor results. Playing on whatever small time tour he could to try and get back to the top levels of professional golf. he didn't quit. He finally had some success over the last few years winning on smaller tours (Alps) and the DP/ET developmental Challenge tour a few times last season before getting his chance again on the DP Tour this season.

MM finally took advantage of his hard work and determination by winning on the DP Tour this weekend. His first win on a major tour since 2013. MM didn't take the easy money way out by accepting sympathy handouts from PIF and finishing at the bottom of the field while collecting a check. MM actually earned it all. Unlike AK and some others. 

Continually living in the past is dangerous. Especially for faux heros like AK.

thanks for sharing this counter-point / reminder of Manassero's story.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Correct. At this point it's likely Sihwan Kim is the better golfer and is more well off financially after robbing the mercenary tour the last two years playing the part that AK is playing now.

You and others like to keep hanging on to what AK accomplished 15 years and a lifetime ago. That player/competitor no longer exists. It didn't even exist before he quit the PGA Tour before his achilles issue. I mean look how giddy you and others are getting because he simply shot one good round while finishing 50th. What a cause for celebration for a journeyman. /s 

You want to root for a great golf story instead of some returning player taking the easy way out after 13 years? Read up on the odyssey Matteo Manassero has been on over the last 10+ years. Former top 25 player in the world. It's been a long brutal downfall for him and finally he's back in the winners circle on a major golf tour. When things got tough he didn't sulk, take his ball and go home and disappear into hiding like AK did. MM kept on playing, trying and failing despite numerous poor results. Playing on whatever small time tour he could to try and get back to the top levels of professional golf. he didn't quit. He finally had some success over the last few years winning on smaller tours (Alps) and the DP/ET developmental Challenge tour a few times last season before getting his chance again on the DP Tour this season.

MM finally took advantage of his hard work and determination by winning on the DP Tour this weekend. His first win on a major tour since 2013. MM didn't take the easy money way out by accepting sympathy handouts from PIF and finishing at the bottom of the field while collecting a check. MM actually earned it all. Unlike AK and some others. 

Continually living in the past is dangerous. Especially for faux heros like AK.

Most people don’t remember players like Sowhat Kim and MM.  Unmemorable players.  AK is unforgettable for many and his comeback is a journey many folks want to follow.  

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

5 hours ago, grm24 said:

So AK is their newest version of Sihwan Kim? The same player that in a mercenary event shot 87-63-76 last year? The same player that finished near last most weeks over two years on that tour. So now AK is their newest player that will finish near the bottom of the field every week. Good for AK for shooting under par. What a reason to celebrate. <enter sarcastic golf clap>

Any player that finished behind AK in these exhibition events after 3 rounds should be immediately relegated. 

The nostalgia some of you hold for AK is nice. But it's only a mirage you're creating in your own minds. 

I think it will be tough for AK to get back to competitive form, but definitely not impossible. 12 years is an eternity away from competitive golf and his -5 round is showing some glimpses that he can play.  He did beat Kokrak, Swafford, Mickelson, and Vincent which all have been playing some very good golf on LIV. 

Will Zalatoris shot 81, 68, 79, 71 at the Hero World after being out for about 8 months. Not the same level of player, but it just shows how time off can really negatively affect player's games. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

I think it will be tough for AK to get back to competitive form, but definitely not impossible. 12 years is an eternity away from competitive golf and his -5 round is showing some glimpses that he can play.  He did beat Kokrak, Swafford, Mickelson, and Vincent which all have been playing some very good golf on LIV. 

Pretty low bar to say a professional touring golfer can shoot a round under par is showing a glimpse he can play. That should be a given not an exception. Phil had his best week in 3 years on that specific tour last week. Otherwise he has been pretty bad there. Swafford is also playing poorly this season. (36th, 51st, 52nd, 52nd). Another one stealing money LOL. Literally as bad as AK's results. Kokrak hasn't been any sort of relevant since he played the PGA Tour. Hasn't come close to winning ever there. So not sure your comp versus those 3 others is good. JMO.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

You seem to be angry and bitter about something.  Did you have a bad round today?  Miss a 2 footer ftw?

LOL I wish. No golf weather here today. Not angry or bitter at all. I simply deal with facts concerning AK's (and others) play and take all emotion out of it. Not many want to do that but that's the correct way to look at his results/history. It's telling though when fans of a certain player don't like being being presented of said players reality/on course results. His results now and during his PGA career don't lie. My favorite player was/is David Duval. He's been awful for 20+ years save a week here or there. On course results don't lie.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, grm24 said:

LOL I wish. No golf weather here today. Not angry or bitter at all. I simply deal with facts concerning AK's (and others) play and take all emotion out of it. Not many want to do that but that's the correct way to look at his results/history. It's telling though when fans of a certain player don't like being being presented of said players reality/on course results. His results now and during his PGA career don't lie. My favorite player was/is David Duval. He's been awful for 20+ years save a week here or there. On course results don't lie.

I don’t hold it against you that you root for Matteo Mannasero. Had to use Wikipedia to refresh a very forgettable player lol.  Why you stinking up my AK comeback success dreams?  😇

• Haha 2

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

1 hour ago, grm24 said:

Pretty low bar to say a professional touring golfer can shoot a round under par is showing a glimpse he can play. That should be a given not an exception. Phil had his best week in 3 years on that specific tour last week. Otherwise he has been pretty bad there. Swafford is also playing poorly this season. (36th, 51st, 52nd, 52nd). Another one stealing money LOL. Literally as bad as AK's results. Kokrak hasn't been any sort of relevant since he played the PGA Tour. Hasn't come close to winning ever there. So not sure your comp versus those 3 others is good. JMO.

Well, none of those pros have had any layoffs and been playing continuously. Phil did have a 2nd at the 2023 Masters and is one of the top players of all time. Kokrak was a 20th in the world. So AK, beating those guys for the week does say something. 

2 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

Will Zalatoris shot 81, 68, 79, 71 at the Hero World after being out for about 8 months. Not the same level of player, but it just shows how time off can really negatively affect player's games. 

Will had back surgery. After busting his butt rehabbing, he then made a swing change.

He never quit.

He never fleeced an insurance company.

He made his way back as quickly as was humanly possible.

19 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

Well, none of those pros have had any layoffs and been playing continuously. Phil did have a 2nd at the 2023 Masters and is one of the top players of all time. Kokrak was a 20th in the world. So AK, beating those guys for the week does say something. 

Indeed it does. It tells you that these guys mail it in half of the time as they've already been paid.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Can someone explain this bit that some LIV social media accounts are trying to spread, that one of the reasons he hasnt been playing well is that AK still "hasnt been fit" for clubs? I dont understand this. Is the insinuation that he just showed up in Jeddah and used rentals? Presumably if hes been playing and practicing at home he has - at the very least - a stash of personal stuff?

I honestly missed - or I dont get - this approach or is this another story they are trying to spread?

• Like 3

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

20 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

Yes, I'm talking about it because of AK, and other times I talk about it because of all the hell it's wrought on professional golf in the past few years. It's only a topic of discussion for me because of the tumult that's come with it which isn't a good look. 

I've still yet to watch a round and never will no matter whom they buy off so it remains irrelevant when it comes to my golf viewing. 

You think the New York Yankees are the Yankees without haters?  You're helping LIV golf grow whether you care to admit so or not.

• Thanks 1

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

8 hours ago, idrive said:

Will had back surgery. After busting his butt rehabbing, he then made a swing change.

He never quit.

He never fleeced an insurance company.

He made his way back as quickly as was humanly possible.

Indeed it does. It tells you that these guys mail it in half of the time as they've already been paid.

I know Willie Z had surgery with herniated disc. However, do you really know that AK quit, just gave up and has been living off insurance money? It is well known that AK battled lots of injuries when he disappeared as well. It even stated it on the PGA Tour website. AK has won over 12 million in prize money just on PGA tour, 3 million on worldwide tournaments,  and that is not including his endorsements from Nike and other sponsors which is likely another several million. That is a lot of money that he could have been living off the last 12 years or the rest of his life. 

That fact is that nobody knows what really happened to AK, yet. Just a lot of speculation  and rumors. Tiger played poorly for a long time with his layoffs from when he had negative publicity for his scandal. My point is any layoffs from golf can affect performance greatly. I'm not even a big AK fan, but just looking at the situation objectively. 

Edited by tacklingdummy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tacklingdummy said:

I know Willie Z had surgery with herniated disc. However, do you really know that AK quit and just gave up and has been living off insurance money? It is well known that AK has battled lots of injuries as when he disappeared. AK has won over 12 million in prize money just on PGA tour and that is not including worldwide tournament earnings and endorsements from Nike and other sponsors. 

That fact is that nobody knows what really happened to AK, yet. Just a lot of speculation  and rumors. Tiger played poorly for a long time with his layoffs from when he had negative publicity for his scandal. My point is any layoffs from golf can affect performance greatly. I'm not even a big AK fan, but just looking at the situation objectively. 

LIV Golf has broken some peoples ability to view things objectively. 

• Like 3

T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X

12 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Yes it was well known that AK battled injuries when he disappeared but that was...12 years ago. I think there are a couple of options here. One is that he's been injured for 12 years and was not physically capable of playing golf. Or two, he got an insurance payout, enjoyed living off that for some period of time - and then finally made this choice to join LIV.

If he was physically able to play - and not prohibited by his payout clauses - why wasnt he out there before? Thats why I'm dismissing any sort of "he came back for the love of the game" excuse. Any number of tournaments would have given him a sponsors exemption - or he could have started grinding it out at qualifiers - at any time. Imagine the chaos if AK showed up for some random Monday Q? But he didnt.

So no, I dont think anyone knows for sure whats going on but I think if you look at all of the data objectively you can make some *reasonable* conclusions.

AK has won 12 million just on the PGA alone, 3 million on worldwide tournaments, and it is reported that his endorsements were 6 million in 2008 alone. That is a lot of money he could have been living off of for the last 12 years or the rest of his life. But yeah, there has been a ton of speculation and rumors about an possible insurance policy. 

1 minute ago, bcjim said:

The interest in AK is proof that some people do in fact want to see the sideshow fluff that they complain about network sports wasting airtime with. 

My only complaint about the Jeddah round I tuned into was that they showed about two of his shots in an hour or so.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

1 minute ago, bcjim said:

The interest in AK is proof that some people do in fact want to see the sideshow fluff that they complain about network sports wasting airtime with. 

I think golf fans want to hear golf stories, not about how the new John Deere tractor series rollout has been or about how quiet the new Honda generators are, how good Travelers insurance coverage is, how few dropped calls you'll have with AT&T, etc.

• Confused 1

T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X

• GwrxMod changed the title to Anthony Kim - Gawd I miss this guy (THREADS MERGED)
  • GwrxMod locked this topic
  • GwrxMod unlocked this topic