2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Anthony Kim - Gawd I miss this guy (THREADS MERGED)

mosesgolf

5 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Taxes. Agents. Managers. Private jets. I dont think that money is as much as you think after all is said and done.

Look, ask yourself - why come back now and why to LIV?

If the answer doesnt start with some version of "he needed the money" - then I dont think you are being objective.

But my comment was specifically responding to idrive's comment that he has "fleeced insurance money" which so far is just speculation and rumors. From my knowledge, he has never said it publicly that he got some big insurance policy. AK said recently on LIV that he was going to tell his story at the right time, but right now was going to focus on his family and golf. 

I never commented on whether he needed the money or not which is still speculation. Did any of the guys like Rahm, DJ, Cam Smith, etc need the money when they decided to go to LIV? 

Would you or anyone turn down millions if not tens of millions to play in a few tournaments on a sponsor's exemption (not having to go through qualifying process) if you were a former PGA pro that won 3 times on PGA, won 15 million worldwide in pro golf, and felt you could still play and compete?   No way, not a chance. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Considering there are two AK threads with 2x the activity of last weeks Arnold Palmer I say he at least stirs things up a bit. Golfwrx hardcore fan are paying attention with many non-LIV fans watching for the first time, checking the leaderboards, and posting a ton! Good or bad, people are paying attention. 

I'd say that LIV is the hottest thing going since there's always at least five threads going on this forum. 🤣🤣

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Considering there are two AK threads with 2x the activity of last weeks Arnold Palmer I say he at least stirs things up a bit. Golfwrx hardcore fan are paying attention with many non-LIV fans watching for the first time, checking the leaderboards, and posting a ton! Good or bad, people are paying attention. 

No doubt, but let's NOT overstate value based on what's posted on Golfwrx or golf social media.  Such communities do NOT represent all golfers outside Golfwrx or other social media threads. 

I am still tied to two private clubs with nearly two thousand golfers, each has a newsletter addressing all the American tour golfers.  I don't know anyone in my golf circle of serious golfers that actually follows AK, much less LIV, including me and many are single digit as well as "+" players.  

I base my thoughts more on what I encounter as opposed to reverberating thoughts on some threads on social media.  There is NO pulse addressing all golfers.  I know people who have deleted Golf Digest and some other golf email newsletters because they are tired of AK, and others on LIV; I am one.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

18 hours ago, grm24 said:

Correct. At this point it's likely Sihwan Kim is the better golfer and is more well off financially after robbing the mercenary tour the last two years playing the part that AK is playing now.

You and others like to keep hanging on to what AK accomplished 15 years and a lifetime ago. That player/competitor no longer exists. It didn't even exist before he quit the PGA Tour before his achilles issue. I mean look how giddy you and others are getting because he simply shot one good round while finishing 50th. What a cause for celebration for a journeyman. /s 

You want to root for a great golf story instead of some returning player taking the easy way out after 13 years? Read up on the odyssey Matteo Manassero has been on over the last 10+ years. Former top 25 player in the world. It's been a long brutal downfall for him and finally he's back in the winners circle on a major golf tour. When things got tough he didn't sulk, take his ball and go home and disappear into hiding like AK did. MM kept on playing, trying and failing despite numerous poor results. Playing on whatever small time tour he could to try and get back to the top levels of professional golf. he didn't quit. He finally had some success over the last few years winning on smaller tours (Alps) and the DP/ET developmental Challenge tour a few times last season before getting his chance again on the DP Tour this season.

MM finally took advantage of his hard work and determination by winning on the DP Tour this weekend. His first win on a major tour since 2013. MM didn't take the easy money way out by accepting sympathy handouts from PIF and finishing at the bottom of the field while collecting a check. MM actually earned it all. Unlike AK and some others. 

Continually living in the past is dangerous. Especially for faux heros like AK.

Let's put things in perspective here. S. Kim & M. Manassero played/won on the DP Tour/European Tour while AK played/won on the PGA Tour.

I assume that it is a commonly accepted fact by most knowledgeable golfers that the PGA Tour is the top-level league while the DP Tour/European Tour is considered a feeder tour.

So to compare S. Kim & M. Manassero to AK doesn't make an ounce of sense to me, imo. 

Also, in case anyone needs a refresher on AK's resume, these were his note-worthy accomplishments before he turned 25 (6 year playing period: 2006-2011):

[1] Won twice in one year

[2] Won 3 PGA Tour events 

Note: This was only achieved by one other golfer, Mr. Woods since 2000.

Note: Only 5 golfers have achieved this including Mr. Woods.

[3] 2008 Ryder Cup: 2-1-1

[4] 2009 Masters record: most birdies in a round with eleven in the second round

[5] 2009 Presidents Cup: 3–1 

Also, I strongly believe that AK is not a faux hero but is more of a folk hero as he is like the rest of us with his foibles and undeniable talents.

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 2

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

6 hours ago, swgolf12 said:

I think golf fans want to hear golf stories, not about how the new John Deere tractor series rollout has been or about how quiet the new Honda generators are, how good Travelers insurance coverage is, how few dropped calls you'll have with AT&T, etc.

Exactly - and this golf being about the stories is why the PGA Tour is suffering a bit for enthusiasm this year.  Guys that left the Tour like Garcia, Poulter, Westwood, Stenson, etc. who we all know from past success are the kind of vets that typically rounded out PGA Tour events.  Occasionally one of them would get hot for a few rounds and there would be a good story there on Sunday to see if a guy we all know, whose game had declined, could keep it together for one tournament and get another win.  In many ways Crenshaw's last win at The Masters was one of these stories.

Instead the Tour events are being filled out by "new blood" who fans really don't know.  So instead of maybe a Martin Kaymer finding his game for a weekend, we see leaderboards filled with guys like Austin Eckroat and Bud Cauley at the Cognizant.  Those names are just not interesting to fans.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

No doubt, but let's NOT overstate value based on what's posted on Golfwrx or golf social media.  Such communities do NOT represent all golfers outside Golfwrx or other social media threads. 

I am still tied to two private clubs with nearly two thousand golfers, each has a newsletter addressing all the American tour golfers.  I don't know anyone in my golf circle of serious golfers that actually follows AK, much less LIV, including me and many are single digit as well as "+" players.  

I base my thoughts more on what I encounter as opposed to reverberating thoughts on some threads on social media.  There is NO pulse addressing all golfers.  I know people who have deleted Golf Digest and some other golf email newsletters because they are tired of AK, and others on LIV; I am just one.

Casuals (which is in no way tied to your handicap) only follow the majors anyway.  

I'm surprised at the number of guys in my golf league who are genuine golf fans that have bought the narrative against LIV, yet have never watched it.  

The AK story is interesting - just hope he keeps improving, sticks with it, and we'll see where things are in a year. 

11 minutes ago, King_Slender said:

Exactly - and this golf being about the stories is why the PGA Tour is suffering a bit for enthusiasm this year.  Guys that left the Tour like Garcia, Poulter, Westwood, Stenson, etc. who we all know from past success are the kind of vets that typically rounded out PGA Tour events.  Occasionally one of them would get hot for a few rounds and there would be a good story there on Sunday to see if a guy we all know, whose game had declined, could keep it together for one tournament and get another win.  In many ways Crenshaw's last win at The Masters was one of these stories.

Instead the Tour events are being filled out by "new blood" who fans really don't know.  So instead of maybe a Martin Kaymer finding his game for a weekend, we see leaderboards filled with guys like Austin Eckroat and Bud Cauley at the Cognizant.  Those names are just not interesting to fans.

They are interesting to me and several others here that have said the same thing.

Out with the old, in with the new.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, King_Slender said:

guys like Austin Eckroat and Bud Cauley at the Cognizant.  Those names are just not interesting to fans.

You couldnt be more wrong, maybe you should read up a little bit on Bud Cauley - folks are way more interested in stories like this.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

36 minutes ago, Golfbit2X said:

Let's put things in perspective here. S. Kim & M. Manassero played/won on the DP Tour/European Tour while AK played/won on the PGA Tour.

I assume that it is a commonly accepted fact by most knowledgeable golfers that the PGA Tour is the top-level league while the DP Tour/European Tour is considered a feeder tour.

So to compare S. Kim & M. Manassero to AK doesn't make an ounce of sense to me, imo. 

Also, in case anyone needs a refresher on AK's resume, these were his note-worthy accomplishments before he turned 25 (6 year playing period: 2006-2011):

[1] Won twice in one year

[2] Won 3 PGA Tour events 

Note: This was only achieved by one other golfer, Mr. Woods since 2000.

Note: Only 5 golfers have achieved this including Mr. Woods.

[3] 2008 Ryder Cup: 2-1-1

[4] 2009 Masters record: most birdies in a round with eleven in the second round

[5] 2009 Presidents Cup: 3–1 

Also, I strongly believe that AK is not a faux hero but is more of a folk hero as he is like the rest of us with his foibles and undeniable talents.

What was only achieved by one other golfer and what was only achieved by 5 other golfers.....And in case you need a refresher, after he did these things, he quit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

You couldnt be more wrong, maybe you should read up a little bit on Bud Cauley - folks are way more interested in stories like this.

Sorry Buds story is a matter of opinion.  I recall that accident.   It was all over the golf channel when it went down. 

Bud was with David Crawford. Bud being the passenger and he did not have his seat belt on.  Crawford was in his M6 and according to winteness reports was "going a bit fast" lost control went into the ditch, hit something and flipped into a tree. Crawford was given a sobriety test at the hospital.   I recall this as Golf Channel was all over it.  They had the 911 call and when asked where it happned ...."Its across from Urban Meyers house" .  So they were in a subdivsion. 

Its great that Bud is playing again but that is not an interesting story IMHO.  Self induced aspects that like, in my opinion can shine a negative aspect on the PGAT.   

Edit: added the drivers name as I could not recall who it was.

Edited by CDM

2 hours ago, King_Slender said:

I'm surprised at the number of guys in my golf league who are genuine golf fans that have bought the narrative against LIV, yet have never watched it.  

Buying your narrative against suggests there's another more positive narrative in favor of where LIV's funding comes from, and goes plus the well-known activities of certain people tied to the Saudi Royal Family.  Sorry, it never ceases to amaze how "social convenience" for some people overshadows right and wrong ... I will leave it there.  Have a pleasant day.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

Buying your narrative against suggests there's another more positive narrative in favor of where LIV's funding comes from, and goes plus the well-known activities of certain people tied to the Saudi Royal Family.  Sorry, it never ceases to amaze how "social convenience" for some people overshadows right and wrong ... I will leave it there.  Have a pleasant day.

These arguments have been hashed out for 2 years. You can't both criticize the Saudis for LIV and then ignore the 95% of PGA Tour sponsors who do business with them as well. Not interested in the politics of it. 

4 hours ago, wobgon said:

What was only achieved by one other golfer and what was only achieved by 5 other golfers.....And in case you need a refresher, after he did these things, he quit. 

I think you may have missed my point all together...

I think that the reason we have this thread is because most golfers agree that AK is better than your average PGA Tour player but definitely not good enough to be considered for a hall of fame career.

Nevertheless, when he was on his hot streak, he was able to collect 3 wins before 25, which led to being compared to Tiger since he  achieved a tiger-level milestone. 

He was also admired for his bravado and brashness as a first-timer during the 2008 Ryder Cup specifically asking to take on Sergio and backing it up by beating Sergio handily and achieving a 2-1-1 record. 

More importantly, he had a sustained 3 year period of success (3 wins as well as winning singles record from the Ryder and President's Cups) of the 6 year period when he was actively playing that I believe was only achieved by a handful of elite level PGA Tour players. 

Bottom line is that AK is a unique breed of a golfer who had better than average golf skills among his PGA Tour peers combined with the brashness and bravado that is rare in the sport of golf. 

The fact that he quit does not diminish his accomplishments. 

To put this another way, if Tiger was to quit tomorrow, will all his wins including the majors be diminished?

With this same line of logic, AK's disappearance / "de facto quitting" has no bearing on his achievements.

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 3

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

6 minutes ago, Golfbit2X said:

I think you may have missed my point all together...

I think that the reason we have this thread is because most golfers agree that AK is better than your average PGA Tour player but definitely not good enough to be considered for a hall of fame career.

When he was on his hot streak, collecting 3 wins before 25, he was compared to having achieved a tiger-level milestone. 

He was also admired for his bravado and brashness as a first-timer during the 2008 Ryder Cup specifically asking to take on Sergio and backing it up by beating Sergio handily and achieving a 2-1-1 record. 

Bottom line is that AK is a unique breed of a golfer who had better than average golf skills among his PGA Tour peers combined with the brashness and bravado that is rare in the sport of golf. 

The fact that he quit does not diminish his accomplishments. 

To put this another way, if Tiger was to quit tomorrow, will all his wins including the majors be diminished?

With this same line of logic, AK's disappearance / "de facto quitting" has no bearing on his achievements.

45 pages is hard to follow and get your points, in my own defense...

Either way, a lot of haters gonna hate and my point to the one post I responded to was one shot after 12 years off in a real tourney doesn't mean anyting.  Rory hits awful shots all time.   Brookline CC US open bunkerside rough comes to mind..... 

To your point, Tiger was one of the greatest ever. Loved watching him.  I have told my kids I was lucky to watch him play both on TV and in person.  I feel fortunate to have lived during his golfing career.  Honestly I do.  Memories are such fun things.   I also wached Jack win the 86 masters.   People my age are truly blessed in living during this era of golf.  

But, let's say AK was somehow to make the Masters in 2024 and I could have a heads up bet over 72 holes with AK vs. Tiger. You would be unwise to bet Tiger over AK.  Tiger can't finish 72 holes any longer.  AK can.  Period..  Tiger's days are over.  It is unfortunate, and I will truly miss that.  But it is what it is and it  furthers my thoughts that I am thankful to have watched Tiger in his prime.  What crazy fun and unreal stuff he could do.  

Tiger is the greatest "of my time" and I wish he would have walked into the sunset after after his last Masters victory arms around his kids.  He would be the undefeated legend if he would have done that in my opinion.  But to each his own.  

• Like 2

• GwrxMod changed the title to Anthony Kim - Gawd I miss this guy (THREADS MERGED)
  • GwrxMod locked this topic
  • GwrxMod unlocked this topic