How does a 3 handicap get 10 in a proam?

DoughBack18

13 hours ago, DoughBack18 said:

I may be wrong, but it certainly felt like a decade + ago the amateurs were a way bigger focus on the broadcast, especially on Saturday. Not that I’m a huge fan of them, but I remember guys like George Lopez and Andy Garcia getting plenty of air time in their day. I think at one point Peter Kostis even did that Konica Minolta Bizhub swing vision thing on a lot of the am’s when they tee’d off on 17. 

You're right and I think they should consider bringing that back. Given the weak field the event is drawing they should get the celebrities to ham it up for the crowd a bit more and engage with the broadcast. 

Sadly, it's become a tough one to watch on TV. The weather is always bad, the field is always bad, you can tell how slow the pace is even watching it on TV, and a lot of the celebrities seem too intense about the event. They need to find a way to bring the fun back. 

There is a sports talk show in Toronto called Overdrive.  On Monday, Roger’s pro partner, Ben Silverman was on the show by phone (Ben is from Thornhill,(as am I), a suburb of Toronto.  When one of hosts of the show asked if Rogers was actually a 3, Ben laughed and said Rogers is nowhere near a 3.  I have no idea how Rogers was listed as a 10 but clearly he is not a 3.

45 minutes ago, Young Tommy said:

There is a sports talk show in Toronto called Overdrive.  On Monday, Roger’s pro partner, Ben Silverman was on the show by phone (Ben is from Thornhill,(as am I), a suburb of Toronto.  When one of hosts of the show asked if Rogers was actually a 3, Ben laughed and said Rogers is nowhere near a 3.  I have no idea how Rogers was listed as a 10 but clearly he is not a 3.

And yet GHIN says he is….not a pro saying he isn’t when he, apparently, does not understand how often-or rather rarely- ams play to their cap.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Here is an officail explanation on why Rodgers was a 10 handicap during the event. Can't wait to here to continual whining (peak WRX) about this as this has gone on for years at The AT&T for numerous others.

https://golf.com/news/aaron-rodgers-crap-handicap-pebble-beach-decided/

But he did have something going for him: a padded handicap. One of the quirks of golf’s most famous pro-am is that not all of the amateurs’ handicaps are created equal. When the tournament doles out strokes to participants, yes, official indexes are taken into account but so are other factors, including current form and past performances in the Pro-Am. And let’s be honest, it’s in the tournament’s best interest to have its biggest celebrities around for the weekend.

“The tournament committee assigns handicaps,” Lesley Varney, VP, marketing and business development of the Monterey Peninsula Foundation, which stages the Pro-Am, wrote in an email to GOLF.com Wednesday. “The past few years [Rodgers] has played as a 9 and has only made the cut once.” 

This year Rodgers played as a 10. Why he was bonused seven strokes — as opposed to, say, three or four — Varney didn’t say. But the charity was not lost on Rodgers’ competitors, many of whom know him to be a low single-digit. (When Rodgers played in the American Century Championship, in Lake Tahoe, Nev., in July, he entered as a 5 and finished 9th against what is a strong field.)

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, grm24 said:

Here is an officail explanation on why Rodgers was a 10 handicap during the event. Can't wait to here to continual whining (peak WRX) about this as this has gone on for years at The AT&T for numerous others.

But he did have something going for him: a padded handicap. One of the quirks of golf’s most famous pro-am is that not all of the amateurs’ handicaps are created equal. When the tournament doles out strokes to participants, yes, official indexes are taken into account but so are other factors, including current form and past performances in the Pro-Am. And let’s be honest, it’s in the tournament’s best interest to have its biggest celebrities around for the weekend.

“The tournament committee assigns handicaps,” Lesley Varney, VP, marketing and business development of the Monterey Peninsula Foundation, which stages the Pro-Am, wrote in an email to GOLF.com Wednesday. “The past few years [Rodgers] has played as a 9 and has only made the cut once.” 

This year Rodgers played as a 10. Why he was bonused seven strokes — as opposed to, say, three or four — Varney didn’t say. But the charity was not lost on Rodgers’ competitors, many of whom know him to be a low single-digit. (When Rodgers played in the American Century Championship, in Lake Tahoe, Nev., in July, he entered as a 5 and finished 9th against what is a strong field.)

Thanks for posting - it’s what I suspected.

These incidents put the networks covering tours/leagues/organizations in a strange position. They don’t cover it well, because they are partners, not objective observers. We all need to understand that part of it. 

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

41 minutes ago, mark m said:

Thanks for posting - it’s what I suspected.

These incidents put the networks covering tours/leagues/organizations in a strange position. They don’t cover it well, because they are partners, not objective observers. We all need to understand that part of it. 

It's not "60 Minutes", lol, and they really aren't put in any strange or awkward position.  This is basically the only event of its kind on the PGA Tour, the Dunhill similar on the DP.  

Nobody really cares about who wins the Pro/Am side of the clambake.  Anyone who participates knows the score and they are the only ones affected. 90% of the folks complaining likely don't play by the rules of golf when they play anyway and for the 10% --- bless you!!

Now where's that abomination of a hole near Phoenix?

26 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

It's not "60 Minutes", lol, and they really aren't put in any strange or awkward position.  This is basically the only event of its kind on the PGA Tour, the Dunhill similar on the DP.  

Nobody really cares about who wins the Pro/Am side of the clambake.  Anyone who participates knows the score and they are the only ones affected. 90% of the folks complaining likely don't play by the rules of golf when they play anyway and for the 10% --- bless you!!

60 Minutes is objective?

Lol right back at you!

Newport 2.5

3 hours ago, mark m said:

60 Minutes is objective?

Lol right back at you!

Was meant in an investigative journalism sort of way - just meant the announcing crew isn't going to waste time or worry about wasting time bringing up or ferreting out stories of any controversy among the competitors or at the event regarding sandbagging, etc. I'm not sure we are saying anything all that different.

On 2/6/2023 at 9:32 AM, Greenie said:

Listening to the broadcast I got the idea he was a sandbagger from what and how the announcers commented about him.

I don't think he had anything to do with it.  The tournament committee made that decision.

“The tournament committee assigns handicaps,” Lesley Varney, VP, marketing and business development of the Monterey Peninsula Foundation, which stages the Pro-Am, wrote in an email to GOLF.com Wednesday.

Aaron Rodgers’ ‘crap’ handicap at Pebble Beach? Here’s how it was decided (golf.com)

On 2/8/2023 at 10:23 AM, golfday said:

You're right and I think they should consider bringing that back. Given the weak field the event is drawing they should get the celebrities to ham it up for the crowd a bit more and engage with the broadcast. 

Or maybe the opposite.  Maybe the celebrity clown show is why lots of players don't go there.  It is one reason I don't watch it.

Also, the PGAT has designated the Pebble tournament as devalued event with less than half of the "elevated events" prize pot.

On 2/7/2023 at 9:22 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Why?? 

Tournament pros are the main focus, reason we don't see much amateur play, unless they are celebrities.  To play, amateurs pony up to 25k for their spot in the ProAm, plus they spend big bucks when not playing.  

It’s one tournament per year 

37 minutes ago, the700level said:

Amateurs pay up to 25k to play in Pebble Beach ProAm, each year they play.  Back in the earlier days, it was 3-5k. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

14 hours ago, grm24 said:

Soly from NLU (who played in the event as a celebrity) said the same thing. If you come into the event with a handicap and don’t make the cut, you keep the handicap. This method prevents more sandbagging than not. How many ams make the cut and play on Sundays?

Edited by Holy Moses

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Here's a link (Aaron Rodgers’ ‘crap’ handicap at Pebble Beach? Here’s how it was decided - https://wp.me/p6BubQ-dmS) to the explanation for Rogers 10.  Makes sense to me.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

On 2/6/2023 at 9:01 AM, DoughBack18 said:

Aaron Rodgers is listed as a 3.0 at Green Bay CC. I know that the course rating can adjust that when you play elsewhere, but 7 shots seems a little nuts considering the am’s aren’t playing anywhere near the tips during the ProAm. Am I missing something?

Thank you for starting this thread. 

Rodgers and his pro were -26, and “won” by 1 stroke. It was a three round event this year due to weather. Rodgers got 7 x 3 rounds = 21 extra handicap strokes!

Bottom line: Keith Mitchell made sense to me.

• Like 1

Newport 2.5

4 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Soly from NLU (who played in the event as a celebrity) said the same thing. If you come into the event with a handicap and don’t make the cut, you keep the handicap. This method prevents more sandbagging than not. How many ams make the cut and play on Sundays?

25 amateur teams generally make the cut for the final round. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Nobody really cares about who wins the Pro/Am side of the clambake.  Anyone who participates knows the score and they are the only ones affected. 90% of the folks complaining likely don't play by the rules of golf when they play anyway and for the 10% --- bless you!!

There it is. It’s the celebrity side of the AT&T which most of WRX has made clear they can’t stand… 

42DD715E-508A-4B9D-BB69-96AF733E28B0.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TiScape said:

There it is. It’s the celebrity side of the AT&T which most of WRX has made clear they can’t stand… 

42DD715E-508A-4B9D-BB69-96AF733E28B0.gif

Yet a bunch of guys got their thongs in a wad over it lol.

If Rodgers was playing with an inflated cap decided by the "committee", it's safe to assume so was everyone else. It's a made for TV hit and giggle, not an intense country club team net event, sheesh

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Yet a bunch of guys got their thongs in a wad over it lol.

If Rodgers was playing with an inflated cap decided by the "committee", it's safe to assume so was everyone else. It's a made for TV hit and giggle, not an intense country club team net event, sheesh

I was honestly just curious about how this came about. They do list many of the celebs handicaps so I just assumed that they had to play to those. But from what people above have said it sounds like its a committee thing. Those guys do get their name on “the wall” out there, so its gotta be at least a little intense I would think…

And by the way, I free-ball it 😜😜 

Edited by DoughBack18

Hate to be an old stick in the mud, but this business of assigning caps based on “who knows” in any sort of competition anywhere is pretty awful; it’s just wrong; shows a tremendous lack of basic integrity.  The explanation is no explanation.  One might surmise the practice started when the celebrities were Hollywood types, and a lack of integrity would not have been noticed.

Not on the player’s part, though, unless he requested it somehow.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 1:28 PM, the700level said:

The AMEX is also a current pro-am event in competition.  The AM's play each round with two different pros on each of the 3 courses used. While these days it's not as important as the AT&T it's still a big deal to the amateurs that play and pay a pretty penny to play in it. The AMEX (old Bob Hope) is very low on celebs there days.

Edited by grm24