2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New irons now or wait for 2024

pdc11

Right now I'm on the fence about upgrading my irons, currently playing Titleist 718 CBs with PX LZ 6.5 which I like but would like a little more forgiveness and distance in my irons.

Will be looking to getting a players iron like T100, P770s, Apex Pros, i230, etc. but saw that Titleist and Callaway are going to be releasing new versions of their irons later this year so would it be worth it just to wait until these new releases before going to get fit.

Curious to know what people's thoughts are if you were in this situation

8 minutes ago, pdc11 said:

Right now I'm on the fence about upgrading my irons, currently playing Titleist 718 CBs with PX LZ 6.5 which I like but would like a little more forgiveness and distance in my irons.

Will be looking to getting a players iron like T100, P770s, Apex Pros, i230, etc. but saw that Titleist and Callaway are going to be releasing new versions of their irons later this year so would it be worth it just to wait until these new releases before going to get fit.

If you’re on the fence, sounds like you can afford to wait, especially since you have interest in Titleist and Callaway. Would only pull the trigger now if your current set is giving you issues or if the P770s, i230s or any other iron that was recently released is a by far better fit than Apex or T100 (just like every other year, changes will be minimal and incremental). Also speaking from myself personally, I prefer to do my fittings in the fall or winter since I roll right off of golf season where my swing is pretty dialed in and have the off season to break it in the new irons.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, pdc11 said:

Titleist 718 CBs with PX LZ 6.5 which I like but would like a little more forgiveness and distance in my irons.

Will be looking to getting a players iron like T100, P770s, Apex Pros, i230...

Be aware the 718 CBs were classified as a players distance iron; so, be cautious about going to a players iron for more forgiveness.

Also, the PX LZ 6.5 offers medium launch and spin for mid-tempo player - but it weighs 125 grams. It's the same weight and only slightly more helpful than the standard PX steel shaft.

You might consider a lighter shaft for more forgiveness (do you fight the shaft on bad days?) and distance (more helpful tip area).

Edited by ChipNRun
Spelling.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I've heard to expect new Apex line this summer, until then I'm waiting...not like I don't love my current set, but always like to see how the new stuff compares.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

29 minutes ago, HarborMike said:

If you’re on the fence, sounds like you can afford to wait, especially since you have interest in Titleist and Callaway. Would only pull the trigger now if your current set is giving you issues or if the P770s, i230s or any other iron that was recently released is a by far better fit than Apex or T100 (just like every other year, changes will be minimal and incremental). Also speaking from myself personally, I prefer to do my fittings in the fall or winter since I roll right off of golf season where my swing is pretty dialed in and have the off season to break it in the new irons.

As of right now hoping to pick up another set of Titleist but definitely try to go into my fittings with an open mind and just get the club that performs the best rather than picking based on the brand. Agree would be best to have the swing dialed in prior to going to a fit

20 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Be aware the 718 CBs were classified as a players distance iron; so, be cautious about going to a players iron for more forgiveness.

Also, the PX LZ 6.5 offers medium launch and spin for mid-tempo player - but it weighs 125 grams. It's the same weight and only slightly more helpful than the standard PX steel shaft.

You might consider a lighter shaft for more forgiveness (do you fight the shaft on bad days?) and distance (more helpful tip area).

Definitely something I have thought about, I was "fitted" in these clubs by a club pro and not a true fitter so probably wasn't the ideal fit. When I first got them, they felt pretty heavy to me and developed a stronger grip to compensate. Have adapted over the years to play with the clubs so wouldn't say I'm fighting the shaft that much now but wouldn't be surprised if a different shaft/weight profile showed a noticeable improvement

6 hours ago, pdc11 said:

You wont be gaining anything performance wise by waiting. Only benefit to waiting is if you wanted to snag up a set of the what would be previous generation for much less. 

• Like 1

You could always wait until 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027...... I do just the opposites and buy last years model. I mean how much can they change the stuff in one year?

• Like 2

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

On 3/2/2023 at 9:01 AM, ChipNRun said:

Curious as to how they’re players distance irons? Lofts are 1 degree weak and they’re pretty small irons.

Edited by jacobanderson123

On 3/2/2023 at 7:53 AM, Z1ggy16 said:

Just like buying a car, there's really never the best time to purchase a depreciating asset. If you're really struggling, buy something now. How much better can they even make the t100?? It's already one of the best cb's ever made in my opinion.

I'm curious to see the new T100, hopefully they don't mess it up

On 3/2/2023 at 10:01 AM, ChipNRun said:

The 718 CB irons are definitely not players distance irons. They are a one piece forged iron with traditional lofts.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

You have great irons but the T100 Ping i210 etc tm p7mc? MIzuno jpx pro. Just so much great stuff to upgrade to. Even an ex demo set 2021 2022 upgrade may be a low cost reward?

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

On 3/2/2023 at 9:32 AM, pdc11 said:

I would wait for two reasons:

1 You May like the newer models more

2 If you don’t like the newer models, you can save some $.

• Like 1

Any newer versions of anything will likely have a lower center of gravity, so that any distinction a “players” iron (current evolution of traditional iron?) from a “players distance” iron (current evolution of GI iron?) will be lost.

Terms in quotes because they are marketing jargon that has taken on a life of its own, apparently.

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

The 718 CB irons are definitely not players distance irons. They are a one piece forged iron with traditional lofts.

I'll split the difference with you. Yes, a check of the 2108 GD Hot List issue classifies them as Players. But one-piece. No.

CB CreativeModel has "forged cavity back uses a 17-4 stainless steel face insert and a forged 1025 carbon steel body through the 7 iron." Golf Digest, March 2018, p. 102.

And, irons 2-7 have small hidden cavity behind clubface. (Golfalot review).

The above two cites mark a phenomenon appearing in many iron designs, even non-MB Players: at least some launch help 7i and below, more traditional heads 8i and above. TM Rocketbladez irons among first to do this. And yes, the R-bladez were not Players irons.

hg, I got to try the 718CB at a demo day. Great looking iron, and feel. Three out of 10 shots felt like heaven... but the other seven shots went all over. Great club, just a bit too much for me to handle.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

1 minute ago, ChipNRun said:

I'll split the difference with you. Yes, a check of the 2108 GD Hot List issue classifies them as Players. But one-piece. No.

CB CreativeModel has "forged cavity back uses a 17-4 stainless steel face insert and a forged 1025 carbon steel body through the 7 iron." Golf Digest, March 2018, p. 102.

And, irons 2-7 have small hidden cavity behind clubface. (Golfalot review).

The above two cites mark a phenomenon appearing in many iron designs, even non-MB Players: at least some launch help 7i and below, more traditional heads 8i and above. TM Rocketbladez irons among first to do this. And yes, the R-bladez were not Players irons.

hg, I got to try the 718CB at a demo day. Great looking iron, and feel. Three out of 10 shots felt like heaven... but the other seven shots went all over. Great club, just a bit too much for me to handle.

Yeah, 47* PW is definitely not a distance iron.

I played 716 CB 2-PW from 2016 to 2019.  But before changing tested 718 CBs, 620 CBs, and 620 MBs.  I ended up buying sets of 620CB and 620 MB, but mostly played MBs with an intermittent blend of 620 CBs.   Recently bought T200 2i & 4i, and T100s 5i-W.  My index low was 2, now 4ish.

718 CBs are more forgiving or easier on the user, as opposed to 716 CBs and 620 CBs.  T100 and T100s are NOT nearly as forgiving as 718 CB.  The T100 line is in all probability the most workable blade like irons short of actual blades.

I have been a MacGregor blade, Callaway original x-forged, and Titleist blade guy since 2k.  If forgiveness is your priority, IMO, Callaway makes far more forgiving clubs than Titleist.  If you don't have a serious club in mind, probably better to wait. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

58 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I played 716 CB 2-PW from 2016 to 2019.  But before changing tested 718 CBs, 620 CBs, and 620 MBs.  I ended up buying sets of 620CB and 620 MB, but mostly played MBs with an intermittent blend of 620 CBs.   Recently bought T200 2i & 4i, and T100s 5i-W.  My index low was 2, now 4ish.

718 CBs are more forgiving or easier on the user, as opposed to 716 CBs and 620 CBs.  T100 and T100s are NOT nearly as forgiving as 718 CB.  The T100 line is in all probability the most workable blade like irons short of actual blades.

I have been a MacGregor blade, Callaway original x-forged, and Titleist blade guy since 2k.  If forgiveness is your priority, IMO, Callaway makes far more forgiving clubs than Titleist.  If you don't have a serious club in mind, probably better to wait. 

I have not hit either but are you saying the 718CB is more forgiving then the T100?

T series and Apex series will probably get a refresh.

I personally am waiting to see the new T100 and T200. if the T200 is a big improvement over the current model, I may roll with it. If not, will decide based on looks and price between the new and current T100. 

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

On 3/3/2023 at 1:08 PM, BostonWRX said:

I have not hit either but are you saying the 718CB is more forgiving then the T100?

Yep. 

As I experience the T100 line, they take focus.  I was surprised how easy 718 CBs were, easier then my 716 CBs and 620 CBs, and surprised when I tested 718 MBs, they were easier than my 620 MBs.  A now retired tour caddy and club builder buddy worked at Titleist earlier; said 718 CBs were meant to be more forgiving than 716 CBs.  However, when they designed 620 series, the CBs were purposely designed to blend with 620 MBs, so specs are nearly the same as MBs, making them more challenging than most other CBs.

From my experience, the only forgiveness in T100 heads are the nuggets of tungsten in toe n heel.  In 620 CBs, tungsten was only in 3 & 4i.  The t100 slight cavity back is so high on the back, it doesn't play in my ball striking.  If I were to hit that high on the face, result would be pretty crappy.   I really like the T100 series.  T200 series is rather amazing too, but only have the 2 & 4 iron.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

On 3/2/2023 at 11:22 AM, pdc11 said:

As of right now hoping to pick up another set of Titleist but definitely try to go into my fittings with an open mind and just get the club that performs the best rather than picking based on the brand. Agree would be best to have the swing dialed in prior to going to a fit

Definitely something I have thought about, I was "fitted" in these clubs by a club pro and not a true fitter so probably wasn't the ideal fit. When I first got them, they felt pretty heavy to me and developed a stronger grip to compensate. Have adapted over the years to play with the clubs so wouldn't say I'm fighting the shaft that much now but wouldn't be surprised if a different shaft/weight profile showed a noticeable improvement

That is one of the best players irons ever made and is, in my opinion, stupid forgiving for the size. 

I would vote now....since I already bought two sets this year. ZX7 mkii and King Tours for me. No interest in playing a Titleist iron ever again. 

Edited by cw1209

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

Wait till next year and then buy this years at a discount.  The t100 are on a lot of my friends, who play well, list of wants.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

13 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Oh shoot... what was the issue with the titleist? Which model did you have? Ill be waiting to hear lol

Had the '21 T100 in the bag. Killed it in the fitting bay, but never translated to performance on the course. Look fantastic behind the ball and replaced MP20 irons that were similar in size. Just didn't see a jump in forgiveness or distance, while there was a significant drop off in feel compared to a blade. Had a weight come loose in my 4 iron head and decided to get rid of the set. This is not a popular take on the T100. Lots of people here love them.  

• Sad 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour