2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What was the best shot of your life??

Alexratom

Mine was a few months ago. I am a 2 handicap. I was 3 over on 14 a par 5 with a little dogleg to the right. I put the driver 10 feet away from the OB in a waste area. I had about 200 yards and hit a 6 iron. My swing wasn’t feeling great at the time but i remember how good that shot was. I remember saying this is the best shot of my life after i hit it. The guy i was playing with was like 7 feet and i rembember him holding me in the air even more excited than me.

It was such an amazing shot. However i finished with 3 straight bogeys🫠

Partnered with my brother in a match at his club and down 1 at 17, a par 5. I put my drive far right over trees and next to a walkway leading to a bathroom between the holes. Dead. Maybe not. I had my brother to close the doors and I hit a pure, low, knock down 5! that caromed off the building back to the 17th fairway. My bogey net par won the hole. 

photo(2).JPG

• Like 1

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

Back around 2008 when I lived in NJ for a bit.  18th hole par 5, Scotland Run GC.  Had a good round going but pulled my drive into a left FW bunker.  Got greedy w/the second and hit one more club than I should have and hit the lip.  Ball went straight up and advanced maybe 30 yds or so.  Now I was p*ssed and pulled 3i and absolutely red a*ssed it.  Big sweeping draw up that hill and stopped maybe 3yds short of the green.  Got up and down for my par.  This was back before laser rangefinders so not sure really how far I hit it but I've never hit a 3i that far before or since.  One of those shots that's hit so pure you don't feel it, only hear it.

Been searching for that feelng ever since.

Edited by the bishop

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I have several on Par 3 s within a foot. The best was after a terrible tee shot. I hooked right and ended up with a terrible lie. I was 190 away ball was below my feet and a big tree between me and the green. If I went par, par on that whole and the last I would break 80 for the first time. I took out my utility iron set up for a draw and let it rip. I lost the ball as it drew around the tree but I was sure I overdrew it over compensating for the ball below the green. I walk up to the green the ball is about 6 feet from the hole exactly pin high. Missed my birdie putt but still parred the last 2 to break 80. So many things could of gone wrong on that shot and it was just about perfect. 

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

3 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

160yd par 3 off the flag to 6 inches, in a match play event on the 17th hole up 1, to ice the match in front on like 600 people 

Absolute legend sir. 

What's in the bag:

Driver: Taylormade M1 8.5 w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.5

Fairway Wood: Sim Max 3w w/ HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.5

Irons: Taylormade P7MC 4-P w/ DG X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 set (50/54/58) w/ DG S400

Putter: Scotty Mil Spec 

5 wood, 223yd par 3. Wind blowing hard right to left and in to me a little. Hit it out to the right, curved it back perfectly, bounced on the front of the green and rolled maybe 20ft into the hole. Best shot I've ever hit. Had another HIO after that but it was a 95yd SW one hop in the cup. 5 wood shot was way harder and more fun.

Edited by kwcsports
spelling

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

Best or luckiest?

Best was a 243 yard 3W from the right first cut that rolled in for an Albatross. 

Luckiest was when I was playing with a bunch of guys 1 or 2 years out of high school. Had 175 yards to an elevated green which was just vacated by 4 of my buds. The hit was a push that had the guys ducking for cover behind trees. The ball hit the rear wheel of a cart, skyrocketed into the air over all the trees, landed on the green and rolled to around 3 feet. I was a celebrity for a while.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Maybe the most amazing non-pro shot I've ever seen:  Playing in a 4 man charity scramble.  Our D player had a huge slice.  We came to the 12th hole, 150 yds, but into the wind.  Not a breeze, it was a wind.  He aimed a driver 50 yards left,  over some trees, sliced it back onto the green and it rolled to 6ft.  He then made the putt.  BTW, I hit a lovely punch to about 25 ft and was then mocked.

Many, probably forgotten a lot.  7 HIO.  Numerous eagles.  So before you rag on me….playing 48 years..

maybe the best was in a 2 man better ball city championship. 2up on 16, 635 par 5.  2nd shot, partner dunked his second shot, so it’s on me, 225 to the 150, across water and water left, OB right.  Just hit it, to 135.  On and 2 putt for a tie, closed the match on 17.  

Copy and pasted (with a minor edit) from another site where I started pretty much this exact same thread...

In spite of having made 2 hole in ones, my most memorable and best shot was out of a green side/fairway bunker. It was back during high school, in our district tournament to qualify for states. 

The third hole was just over 300 yards. So it was enticing to go for it. In reality, it was almost impossible to get there. As the last 40 or so yards were straight uphill. With the green being elevated a good 30 feet. And at the base of the hill that rose to the green was a deep bunker. 

During our practice round, our coach made a point of telling us not to go for the green. That the front bunker is nothing but trouble. But what did I do during the tournament? I went for it, of course! And where did my ball end up? In that green side bunker. 

My dad was spectating that day and was behind the green with my coach. As I'm surveying the upcoming shot, my coach is talking my dad's ear off about how he told us not to go for the green. In hindsight, he was right. A 50 yard blind bunker shot, to a green 30 feet above you, is no picnic. But that's where I found myself.

Well I clipped this shot absolutely perfect. It came out of there with some heat on it (apparently causing some people spectating behind the green to reflexively duck). And my coach says to my dad "oh great, get down". The ball hits about 5 feet past the pin, takes a hop about another 5 feet forward, then sucks back to a few inches from the pin. 

My dad turned to my coach and says, "I guess he managed that bunker just fine." 🤣 

Oh, and we qualified for states.

• Like 2

Little Creek Amphib Base (Eagle Haven GC)  1990 inter club match play against Langley AFB -  4th hole - Par 5      Water on right with a big mound that kicks any drive into the water if it doesn't catch the bunker first.

My tee shot hit the mound just a bit right of the bunker and kicked into the water.  Dropping 3.

Had to drop on the side of the mound with my feet about 6" above the ball about 230 from the green.

I had a great lie from the drop and probably should have played a little safer with a easy 8 or 9 iron layup,  but I was already 2 down in the match. 

I pulled my 2 iron and took about a 1/2 dozen hard practice swings to see if I could maintain my balance.   I flushed it about as well as I could and the ball took off hard, low, and running.  The fairway was baked out at the time and the ball must have ran about 75-80 yards all the way onto the green for about a 12 foot putt.

I made the putt for BIRDIE  and it put me back to 1 down in the match. My opponent was as good a sport as you could ask for, and I think he was more excited about me making the birdie than I was at the moment.

I won the match with 2 up on the 17th.

I still put that one shot over the HIO I had that year which was fun.

Edited by Port and Starboard

Playing the member/guest on the par 3 16th I hit a 6 iron past the hole about 10 feet on to the face of a slope.  Ball rolls back, grazing the edge of the cup, stopping 5" away.  The sucky thing was that 5" was the difference between to whiskey glasses (closest to the pin contest) and $10k (hole-in-one prize).  We ended up 3rd in our flight, so I did walk away with some cash.

Edited by dugue4

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

No necessarily my best, but one of the most memorable was when I was still in high school.  I used to play almost daily in the summer and often until dusk.  One evening, I was playing with a friend and it was pretty dark coming into the last hole.  It was a par 4 and I could barely see the green for my approach.  When we got to the green and looked around, we could not find the ball.  i finally looked in the hole, and there it was.  Wish I had seen it.

(25yrs ago)

60’ downhill putt for match winning birdie on the 21st hole of Calcutta Championship match with half the club watching. After we picked up a round for the bar we split about $6k

Another always remember shot was holing high cut 6iron to right pin for 2 on 430yd dogleg par 4. This came during a Friday morning quota with about 30members. Finished +5 quota and had to buy again!

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

About eight years back, I was playing in a two-man alternate shot private club tournament, in a 3 hole play-off, against 2 other teams, standing on the third and final hole, 175 yd par 3 with a U-shaped pond butting up near the green.  The hole was surrounded by 200+ boozed up hollering members in carts. 

My 13 handicap partner was feeling a little pressure, chunks the ball short, over the first water onto the grassy finger with 4" of rough.  The leave was 65yds over more water to a false front feeding back to the pond, and tight red pen just over the false front ridge, on flat portion of 12 stimp green.  I looked at him, we laughed and I said thanks.

As I stood over the ball everyone was partying and yelling; decided to play it like a long bunker shot, with half-open-faced Gap wedge and took a full swing at the ball; it came out as planned the ball hit where I wanted, about 5' behind the pin, spun and trickled back to 3" for a glorious tap in par.  We got a standing ovation and finished 2nd in the event.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

My first HIO.....called shot shape, landing past hole and spinning back to jar it...it was awesome, knew when I hit it, was going to be good shot, but actually went in....ball mark was about a foot above the hole

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

I had a fun one this year in our inter city Ryder cup style event.

In a dog fight of a match against a quality player (A plus handicap versus me a 2 handicap straight up). It was at my home course so that essentially wiped away any advantage he might have over me. 

Both of us had not been playing good the whole day. Split the front nine, even on the back nine. I hit my drive left on the 17th just in the rough and he hit his drive in the fairway slightly longer than me. 

I told my playing partner (2 of our team played our 2 opponents on their team as a foursome) that I havent had it all day but all I need is 3 good swings to close out the match. I hit a 9 iron approach on 17 to a tap in. Likely missed dropping in the hole by an inch or two. 1 up.

Proceeded to pipe my drive on 18 as hard as I can hit it and have inside 200 yards into the par five finishing hole. Hit my approach into the par five with a long iron to a couple feet for a gimme eagle to close out the match. 

Needed 3 good swings on a bad ball striking day and found them at the right time. 

Edited by Mcgeeno

17 minutes ago, mshills said:

Have hit some shots under some pressure a long time ago but nothing like this past spring. Had given up hope of playing golf when I got injured in early 2019 and lost functionality in my L elbow, among other orthopedic issues. Late 2021 I decided to make a serious attempt to play with one arm, including flying out to Ping for a full adaptive fitting. 

In April 2022 my new clubs arrived and I went to a local course solo. Got paired up with a cool guy and his 15 year old daughter who could really play! Put a tee in the ground for the first time since the fall of 2018. My hand was shaking a bit, no doubt, but man had I missed that feeling of excitement and a little pressure. Deep breath, cleared my head, drew it back with my R arm, and bunted it out there about 175 yards into the left rough. 

Missed the fairway, and didn’t hit it well. Didn’t par the hole. Only 2 people watching, and no $ at stake. But I did make contact and made the ball go forward. 🙂 The old addiction and love of this game came back right away….so I’d say that’s the best shot I’ve hit. Yet. 

this wins. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

I was playing an afternoon 9 with two of my buddies and was -1 through 7. I am typically a low 80's golfer and had never shot under par on 9 before. It was mid summer and the course was baked. #8 is 340y but there is a ditch that crosses the fairway you have to lay back of about 250y from the tee. I hit a 4i that took off like a scalded dog when it landed and ran down into the ditch. I thought I had just killed my chance at an under par 9.

I get up to my ball and its laying on a mound at the bottom of the ditch and I figured what the heck let's get this out somewhere close to the ditch and have a good chance at getting up and down for the par. I take a PW into the ditch and you couldn't see the flag. I picked out a tree behind the green as my aim point and absolutely flushed it to 5' and knocked in the birdie. Absolutely the best shot of my life with the most riding on it.

Lipped out a birdie putt on #9 and tapped in for my -2. The biggest regret is the sun was setting and I couldn't head to the back.

2 options;

1.  My longest ever drive at 365, there's a par 5 with a pretty good downslope in the middle of the fairway.  Along the left side the downslope starts at about 240, but the right it starts at about 270 out.  Hit it dead straight along the right, landed on the downslope and kept going to 365.  

2. Best approach:  I sliced off a drive on a hole into the neighbouring hole's rough . There's a line of trees between the holes, I clipped one, it dropped and I don't have a look at the green from where I am.  So instead I start an 8i out over the next hole's tee boxes with a big sweeping draw and stick it to about 8'

image.png.603f49d10b7310668c1bf94bd7f474b5.png

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

Long-time angler, COVID comeback golfer (25+ yrs. hiatus) here...

In my short (2.5+ yrs.) second go-around as a 16.9 handicap duffer, I would like to share my closing 3 hole sequence during tournament play at Bethpage Park Red that is at the top of my golf career in terms of achievement. I consider my only hole-in-one (Eisenhower Park - Blue, Par 3-left, 109 yds. last 01/02/2022) as a close second.  

For background, I'd say that I'm a pretty good golfer for my handicap but tend to be inconsistent at times w/ double and triples sprinkled in a round most of the time. 

Here's how my greatest 3-hole sequence went down:
1.) Hole # 16: score of Par (5) on Par 5: Drive (estimated distance: 266 yds.) landed on the 1st cut on the left side of the fairway; 2nd shot (not sure if I used Cleveland UW or 4 iron; estimated distance: 235 yds.) landed approximately 38 yards from the hole, pin high on the right side rough; Almost lost my ball but my playing partner (Gary N.) found it! 3rd shot from a slightly gnarly, a bit trampled down lie from the rough landed on the green, 20+ feet downhill. Birdie putt was short about 4+ feet from hole; Made 2nd putt with no break for a very unlikely Scrambling Par.

2.) Hole # 17: score of Birdie (2) on Par 3; One putt, slightly downhill from GIR (12+ feet), left to right; Pace of putt was firm and the ball entered from the left corner and bobbled up once as it went down the hole.

3.) Hole # 18: score of Par (4) on Par 4; First shot using using driver was MISHIT (grounded at least two inches behind the ball) but ball was able to roll into fairway 214 yds. away from hole! 2nd shot using 4 iron landed in the left greenside bunker; My ball was one of two balls 1 foot apart in the bunker so I requested that I take my shot first as the stance from other ball would be in the area of where my ball was. 3rd shot blast out of sand trap landed less than 10 feet from hole; One putt downhill with no break for a Scrambling Par went in!

My final score was 83 (+13), good enough for a tie and playoff with William M. We played sudden death on hole # 1 that resulted in a tie (Bogey) after I found his ball😏...

Teed-off on hole # 2 for second sudden-death hole but he couldn't find his ball after his tee shot using his driver. It was getting pretty dark at that point in time so I used my 4 iron instead of Driver to maximize my chances of finding my ball in the fading light.

Using the 4 iron, I was relieved that my ball landed in the middle of the fairway.

However, William M. was not pleased and was actually pissed at me as I was not able to find his ball again!?🤨 Like he's expecting me to keep finding his ball...👺💩🤬

Anyway, the play-off was stopped by the Tournament Director due to darkness and we had to follow USGA score card countback starting from hole # 18. 

Fortunately, by virtue of my strong last corner on hole 16, 17 and 18 (Par, Birdie, Par), I was declared the winner. 

I was so happy and proud of this win as I think that it was the best win so far of my golf career.

However, there was one thing that didn't sit well for me which was that the tournament points (used to determine player of the year and selection for Ryder Cup style interleague competition) that I should have received for winning was shared with the guy I beat (via USGA scorecard countback) based on the decision by tournament director with the advice from his national tournament director/s.

I think this is a bush league call as it should only be shared for match play and not for stroke play competitions so I'd like to find out from the forum if you agree or not with this decision.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Note: I understand that this topic is about a single shot only so my apologies for veering away a little bit. 😁

So to veer back to the topic, I'd say the sand shot on hole # 18 as the best sand shot of my career while my final putt on hole # 18 for a scrambling Par would be the best Putt of my career. 

Edited by Golfbit2X
Added clarifications, yardages and new items (ST)

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

480 yard par 5, I hit the best driver of my life. Straight as an arrow and 275 +. I hit my second shot and I thought I hit it short. I get up to where I think my ball is, short of the green. I can't find it. I'm so dejected I drop another ball and chip up. Still can't see the green, it's very hilly and undulated. I drive the cart around grab me and my partners putters and head for the green. I finally found my first ball. It's no lie 1-2 inches from the hole. I have a tab in birdie!! So close to an albatross!

40ish foot putt on 18. 2005 us open local qualifying. Broke about 3 feet right. I was last group off 1 tee so all but 2 or 3 groups were finished. I'm -2 with that putt for 69.

7 guys at 70 (-2) waiting for a playoff. 5 guys at 69 or better. 6 spots go to sectionals. 

Drained it to take the last spot. 

• Like 2

Many years ago (1989) I hit a mediocre drive on our 10th hole, a 442 yd. par four.  I had 225 left and holed my TM Tour Preferred Tour Spoon for the eagle.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Two options for me I think, both from the same golf trip: 

1. 3rd hole at Castle Stuart - short par 4 downhill, playing into a pretty good wind. Lasered it at 270 off the tee. I crushed a drive with a little fade right at the flag, lipped out and left me with a foot or so for eagle. 

2. 18th at Royal Troon - not normally a drivable par 4, but they had us up a tee box playing 340 with a big helping breeze. I asked my caddie if it was reachable and he said no. I mentally said oh yes it is. One of the best driver swings I've ever had, hit a big high ball with low spin and watched it knuckle around in the wind. Landed just short of the green and actually rolled through. Quick up and down chip for birdie, that was the last hole of the trip and a great way to close it out.