Titleist TSR2 4-16.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 5-19.5: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100 5-PW: DG AMT X100
Titleist SM8 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey Ai Jailbird Mini DB 34" 

Grips Lamkin Full Cord; logo down 

4 hours ago, jholz said:

Vik's my boy. Let's get them i210's back in the winner's circle, young man!

Was he in i230’s? Seems like those folks have gone back to i210’s and i59 players are back with iBlades or s55’s. 

• Like 1

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

13 hours ago, Ben Berube said:

Was he in i230’s? Seems like those folks have gone back to i210’s and i59 players are back with iBlades or s55’s. 

To the best of my knowledge, Hovland never put the i230's in the bag. Might have tested them, but the i210's have been consistently in play to the best of my knowledge.

Similar to the iBlades and S55s persisting - outside of the Blueprints, I'm not sure Ping has produced a real timeless "winner" is several club cycles.

They are chasing the market a bit too much these days, IMHO.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

That putter with naked bottom is absolutely sexy. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

5 hours ago, jholz said:

To the best of my knowledge, Hovland never put the i230's in the bag. Might have tested them, but the i210's have been consistently in play to the best of my knowledge.

Similar to the iBlades and S55s persisting - outside of the Blueprints, I'm not sure Ping has produced a real timeless "winner" is several club cycles.

They are chasing the market a bit too much these days, IMHO.

And from what I remember seeing on his i210's they had some special grinds etc on them, so maybe they just don't have the i230's built to his preferences yet?  And some people love what works, and his stuff seems to work pretty well!

I will also just add I've had more people tell me they think the i230 is the best iron Ping has ever made (while good ams, not pros), so I'm sure its nothing wrong with the clubs themselves.

Edited by J_Tizzle
  • Like 1
Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

12 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Hovland is one of those guys that I could see staying put with the i210 for awhile given his delivery. He has that professional over the top/trap kind of delivery ala Sam Snead that means he probably likes the really high CG of the i210's in terms of strike location tendencies. Face wear on his irons would likely show he's around 1/2 to 1 groove higher than most and if the i230's are lower CG (need Maltby data updates to confirm) then they'd likely not be as good a fit. 

Yeah that vertical COG issue is one of the things that make the i210s special. Would love to talk with the engineer whose idea it was. 

Amazing performers - but they want to be hit a certain way. If I'm swinging like Snead to get them to work, I suppose there are a lot worse examples to follow. But, it's a strike pattern that doesn't gel with everyone.

Having said that, it's impossible to deny that Ping has had some troubles getting new iron designs into Tour bags.

The i230 may be the one recent exception to that rule.

Edited by jholz
  • Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

59 minutes ago, jholz said:

Yeah that vertical COG issue is one of the things that make the i210s special. Would love to talk with the engineer whose idea it was. 

Amazing performers - but they want to be hit a certain way. If I'm swinging like Snead to get them to work, I suppose there are a lot worse examples to follow. But, it's a strike pattern that doesn't gel with everyone.

Having said that, it's impossible to deny that Ping has had some troubles getting new iron designs into Tour bags.

The i230 may be the one recent exception to that rule.

It's that steeper, driving delivery with lots of forward shaft lean and delofting that lends itself to higher CGs since said delivery will always favor the higher part of the face. The i210s are definitely not the best for pickers, hah. I wrote some long thing somewhere about PING's design philosophy and how their *extreme* perimeter weighting approach (tungsten in the low toe and up in the hosel) creates both very high MOI but also raises CG, so IMO the i210 was "MOI first, CG second" in terms of design priority with the i230 likely paying more attention to the CG this time around. That high CG of the i210 however will work better for certain players, and I think Hovland is one of them.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

6 hours ago, Valtiel said:

It's that steeper, driving delivery with lots of forward shaft lean and delofting that lends itself to higher CGs since said delivery will always favor the higher part of the face. The i210s are definitely not the best for pickers, hah. I wrote some long thing somewhere about PING's design philosophy and how their *extreme* perimeter weighting approach (tungsten in the low toe and up in the hosel) creates both very high MOI but also raises CG, so IMO the i210 was "MOI first, CG second" in terms of design priority with the i230 likely paying more attention to the CG this time around. That high CG of the i210 however will work better for certain players, and I think Hovland is one of them.

Let me get this straight.  Ping's extreme perimeter weighting allows for high MOI which means more forgiveness.  In the meanwhile, it also raises VCOG therefore favors the steeper swing? 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Let me get this straight.  Ping's extreme perimeter weighting allows for high MOI which means more forgiveness.  In the meanwhile, it also raises VCOG therefore favors the steeper swing? 

Generally speaking, yeah. Titleist for example puts the tungsten in the heel and the toe, less extreme from a perimeter standpoint but keeps the CG way down. Ping pushes it further into the toe and way up into the hosel which is further apart, therefore higher MOI, but that hosel tungsten sits quite high, thus raising CG. A higher sweetspot demands a delivery that produces higher strikes for the best fit, and the guys that lean the handle a ton fit into that category and also tend to be steeper as well, though not necessarily (think DJ). 

If you look at the guys that really bear down on the ball like Sergio, Noren, Hovland etc, they've all stuck with mid/high or even higher CG designs. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 

2 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Generally speaking, yeah. Titleist for example puts the tungsten in the heel and the toe, less extreme from a perimeter standpoint but keeps the CG way down. Ping pushes it further into the toe and way up into the hosel which is further apart, therefore higher MOI, but that hosel tungsten sits quite high, thus raising CG. A higher sweetspot demands a delivery that produces higher strikes for the best fit, and the guys that lean the handle a ton fit into that category and also tend to be steeper as well, though not necessarily (think DJ). 

If you look at the guys that really bear down on the ball like Sergio, Noren, Hovland etc, they've all stuck with mid/high or even higher CG designs. 

I take bigger divots now and my iron swing is steeper than it ever has been in the past.  Therefore, I should probably be looking into something like Ping irons for my next set then.  I'm happy with the set of irons I have now as my distance control has gotten better with them.  However, these are non traditional blades that are longer from heel to toe and have more offset.  Do you know if blades tend to be more biased CG wise higher or lower on the face?  

Edited by phizzy30

Anyone know where he is with the bounce on these irons? He had a set with the numbers ground off the bottom and this WITB shows a level looking 8 iron? I think Ping used to offer iron grinding options but maybe they've stopped? I love my i210's but they do feel bouncy at times. 

On 3/22/2023 at 12:14 PM, chilidip68 said:

Anyone know where he is with the bounce on these irons? He had a set with the numbers ground off the bottom and this WITB shows a level looking 8 iron? I think Ping used to offer iron grinding options but maybe they've stopped? I love my i210's but they do feel bouncy at times. 

I’m no expert but I don’t think he stuck with the special grind ones for very long.  I believe he has for the most part stuck with fairly stock heads.

Love that speeder 661TR a very unique driver shaft.

• Like 2

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S 
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 34.5"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

On 3/23/2023 at 2:17 PM, jomatty said:

I’m no expert but I don’t think he stuck with the special grind ones for very long.  I believe he has for the most part stuck with fairly stock heads.

That's what it looks like. They are pretty damn good clubs. I miss blades but I can't keep up with the younger guys I play with without these. They're hitting long irons as well and they're 15-10 years younger than me! Best mix of feel and control with distance I've found. Also, Ping. 

On 3/21/2023 at 2:16 PM, Valtiel said:

Hovland is one of those guys that I could see staying put with the i210 for awhile given his delivery. He has that professional over the top/trap kind of delivery ala Sam Snead that means he probably likes the really high CG of the i210's in terms of strike location tendencies. Face wear on his irons would likely show he's around 1/2 to 1 groove higher than most and if the i230's are lower CG (need Maltby data updates to confirm) then they'd likely not be as good a fit. 

Preliminary MPF numbers are out on the I230.  Looks to be pretty close to the I210.  I230 VCOG is slightly lower, MOI is a bit higher, C-DIM a hair more toward the toe, and RCOG is slightly deeper.  Typical Ping making incremental improvements.  Amazing thing is they made all these improvements in a slightly more compact package.

“Update:  Ping i230 MPF came out to be 393 MPF, which is in the Classic category.  The Actual Vertical CG is .898″, which is high and that is what hurt the rating.  The #6 iron has 8 degrees of bounce, which negatively effects the vertical cg.  The MOI was really good at above 15.398 and the C-dim wasn’t too bad at 1.348.  Rearward cg location is .484″, which is average.  Again, the vertical cg is the reason for the Classic category rating.

Britt Lindsey”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 9.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 4-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

On 3/22/2023 at 6:15 AM, Valtiel said:

I found them to hit very, very high shots. Sounds like they should hit a little lower if that’s the case?

2 hours ago, gticlay said:

I found them to hit very, very high shots. Sounds like they should hit a little lower if that’s the case?

Vertical CG isn’t going to have much impact on trajectory. Higher CG means higher potential spin on average since “low” strikes are going to spin up more. They also have a decent amount of offset which means a deeper CG related to the shaft axis which raises launch by increasing dynamic loft via forward shaft deflection (a whole different can of worms). Regardless, vertical CG is more about strike efficiency and spin than it is launch. 

• Like 2

Bridgestone 

On 3/26/2023 at 5:10 AM, Valtiel said:

Vertical CG isn’t going to have much impact on trajectory. Higher CG means higher potential spin on average since “low” strikes are going to spin up more. They also have a decent amount of offset which means a deeper CG related to the shaft axis which raises launch by increasing dynamic loft via forward shaft deflection (a whole different can of worms). Regardless, vertical CG is more about strike efficiency and spin than it is launch. 

So if I went and hit a group of balls to get an average of spin, what would be considered normal or ideal for the i210? Seems like I get a high trajectory, but I don't know how much spin as I've not really hit like 20 8 irons to get an average.

23 minutes ago, gticlay said:

So if I went and hit a group of balls to get an average of spin, what would be considered normal or ideal for the i210? Seems like I get a high trajectory, but I don't know how much spin as I've not really hit like 20 8 irons to get an average.

Ideal ranges shift based on speed and delivery. There is a combination of launch, spin, and peak height that is considered ideal for each club based on your swing speed, so we'd need to know all those numbers to say what is ideal/normal/abnormal. But for an 8-iron at 37* I expect anywhere between 7,000-8,000rpm would be a "normal" range. 

Bridgestone 

On 3/25/2023 at 11:10 PM, Valtiel said:

This is very interesting and a great nugget. Thanks for sharing. I struggle with low launch due to low dynamic loft and I’ve been keen to try the i230s. This makes a lot of sense as to why/how they might be a good fit for me. Not a magic bullet, but sounds like a good fit conceptually.  

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

1 hour ago, ScottHutch2 said:

This is very interesting and a great nugget. Thanks for sharing. I struggle with low launch due to low dynamic loft and I’ve been keen to try the i230s. This makes a lot of sense as to why/how they might be a good fit for me. Not a magic bullet, but sounds like a good fit conceptually.  

At the end of the day there is no substitute for weaker lofts if you're a low dynamic loft kind of player. DJ plays a 10.5* - 11.0* driver for a reason, and if he were a WRX'er he'd be told he's leaving tons of distance on the table with his speed. 😆

• Like 1

Bridgestone