Should Music Be Allowed on the Golf Course?

I put cigars in the same category as music. If I can't smell it, it's not a problem.

I have never smelt a cigar being smoked by some guy playing an adjacent hole 120 yards away. But I hear music from that distance at some point during most rounds of golf nowadays. 

Once playing a cheap public course I did catch a distinct whiff of something a little stronger being smoked by a couple in a cart on an adjacent hole but that's another story. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

no it should not be allowed.  ear buds only or so soft that absolutely NOBODY can hear it other then those riding in your cart.  Which means you will not be able to hear it from the tee box or any other close location.

it is noise pollution.  Not everyone likes the music you listen to, for starters.  Some people are trying to think about their game.  It's rude and selfish to make other people listen to your music from your cart.  Please stop.

But people in general seem to be becoming more selfish these days, so it does not come as any surprise to me that we have to deal with this now.

yesterday I walked off the course after 8 holes because I got paired with a a threesome that insisted on rather loud country music.. Well they were also extremely distracting in general, one guy would literally make like 20 large waggles before every shot.  It was killing me, I had to just leave.  Music is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of poor etiquete on the course, but yes, turn off your music on the course.  It's not your private back yard.

Edited by Dewdman42
  • Like 2

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Ping and TaylorMade Hybrids

Taylor Made RBZ 4W and Sim2 Driver

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Currently playing TP5, BRX, BX (still deciding)

8 hours ago, Dewdman42 said:

no it should not be allowed.  ear buds only or so soft that absolutely NOBODY can hear it other then those riding in your cart.  Which means you will not be able to hear it from the tee box or any other close location.

it is noise pollution.  Not everyone likes the music you listen to, for starters.  Some people are trying to think about their game.  It's rude and selfish to make other people listen to your music from your cart.  Please stop.

But people in general seem to be becoming more selfish these days, so it does not come as any surprise to me that we have to deal with this now.

yesterday I walked off the course after 8 holes because I got paired with a a threesome that insisted on rather loud country music.. Well they were also extremely distracting in general, one guy would literally make like 20 large waggles before every shot.  It was killing me, I had to just leave.  Music is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of poor etiquete on the course, but yes, turn off your music on the course.  It's not your private back yard.

I prefer no music as well but this is a bit ridiculous. Noise pollution lol. 

I better go tell the people playing pickleball at the local club that they are polluting the air with their noise and it’s negatively affecting golfers! 

Last time I played one guy in our group applied the parking brake to the golf cart and it made a noise. Another family was making noise in their pool and I could hear them while I was putting on the green. Their noise caused me to miss the putt! 

Is there a fine for noise pollution that I could hand out to these egregious offenders!? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 2:14 AM, Ahmilla said:

As golf changes and newer generations of golfers are ushered into the sport, I notice more people playing music through a speaker on the golf course. I've seen a lot of heated debate on this topic and I can understand both sides of the argument, but I want to get the general consensus of the group here. Music on the course- Are you a fan?

As long as people are respectful of others "yes/no" for music, then it shouldn't be an issue.  I enjoy music on the course, but if I'm with someone who doesn't, then respect what they want as well.

Any music should only be at a volume that your cart or group is able to hear it.  Song choices should respect the music the people in the group like.

Played a Tourney this summer, 2-person teams.  We prefer music (as always, I drive the cart and my teammate is the DJ).  2nd day were paired with 2 older gentleman, one of which didn't like music while he was hitting his shots.  He said he didn't mind the music between his shots, so we pressed pause while he was starting his pre-shot routine and all were happy.  We avoided songs we knew wouldn't be up his alley.  They were playing forward tees, so a few holes we were able to hang back at our tee box with simply the volume turned down.  A good day was had by all, and shared a sociable with him after the round.  We respected what he preferred, and respected us as well.

If everyone who likes music can go about their round respecting those who don't, this topic ought to be a non-issue.  I don't get the "I don't like, so no one should do it" mentality.  Me listening to music doesn't have any affect you, so who cares.  People basting music for someone to hear a few holes over, now that's not being respectful and isn't right.

Driver:  TaylorMade  Original One Mini Driver (11.5*)

Wood:  TaylorMade  RBZ 3W (15*)

Hybrid:  TaylorMade  RBZ 3H (19*)

Irons:  Titleist  718 AP1 - 4-PW (21*-43*)

Wedges:  Cleveland  RTX3 - 48*, 52*, 56* mid grind

Putter:  TaylorMade  Classic 79 Fontana

15th Club (optional):  TaylorMade  RBZ 3I (17.5*)

3 hours ago, Jimbo709 said:

.... If everyone who likes music can go about their round respecting those who don't, this topic ought to be a non-issue.  I don't get the "I don't like, so no one should do it" mentality.  Me listening to music doesn't have any affect you, so who cares.  People basting music for someone to hear a few holes over, now that's not being respectful and isn't right.

But I think that the group experience for many of us has already shown that this (what you conjectured) is never going to happen and that is the real issue isn't it? Moreover, what one person believe to be reasonable or is being respectful is not necessarily what others might expect or might not even conform to a community standard (if there even is such a thing). So unfortunately, what you are supposing is a virtual impossibility IMO.

Edited by Dpavs

headphones fine, but no I dont want to here it. I listen to music most of my work day, I love music! I wanna golf! 

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

On 9/1/2023 at 2:34 PM, Dpavs said:

But I think that the group experience for many of us has already shown that this (what you conjectured) is never going to happen and that is the real issue isn't it? Moreover, what one person believe to be reasonable or is being respectful is not necessarily what others might expect or might not even conform to a community standard (if there even is such a thing). So unfortunately, what you are supposing is a virtual impossibility IMO.

Not impossible if people are reasonable/respectful.  It's a non-issue around here, too bad that's not the case where you play.

Driver:  TaylorMade  Original One Mini Driver (11.5*)

Wood:  TaylorMade  RBZ 3W (15*)

Hybrid:  TaylorMade  RBZ 3H (19*)

Irons:  Titleist  718 AP1 - 4-PW (21*-43*)

Wedges:  Cleveland  RTX3 - 48*, 52*, 56* mid grind

Putter:  TaylorMade  Classic 79 Fontana

15th Club (optional):  TaylorMade  RBZ 3I (17.5*)

On 9/1/2023 at 9:47 AM, Jimbo709 said:

If everyone who likes music can go about their round respecting those who don't, this topic ought to be a non-issue.  I don't get the "I don't like, so no one should do it" mentality.  Me listening to music doesn't have any affect you, so who cares.  

Yes, but many, if not most, have the music loud enough for others to hear.  I haven't heard anybody say "I don't like it, so no one should do it".

What do you have against using earbuds?

2 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Yes, but many, if not most, have the music loud enough for others to hear.  I haven't heard anybody say "I don't like it, so no one should do it".

You nailed it…..if we cannot hear it it’s fine if some enjoy music.  Hard to figure why so many don’t understand that.  In the other thread that got locked, finally, we had one guy that played music as loudly as he wanted….and…..if there was someone talking loudly or any other sound intruding on his “concert” he’d react by turning up his volume.

Apparently it was ok for him to intrude on others but not vice versa.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

On 9/3/2023 at 12:16 PM, Golferpaul said:

I'm not a "music on course" guy at all, but if I were, I would have a lot of problem with earbuds. I'd most likely be constantly uncomfortable with them in, worried about them falling out of my ear and potentially losing them (I actually don't use wireless earbuds but I'm sure having a cord for wired buds would be horrible while swinging a golf club), and I'd be concerned I might not hear someone yelling "FORE" and potentially be in danger on a golf course, where one should be aware of one's surroundings. So while I don't play music on the course, I understand why someone would want a small BT speaker rather than something in their ears.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Personally, I would cancel my club membership if they allowed music on the course.

In general, I try my best not to offend or bother anyone else around me.

I avoid stepping on someone's putt line.

I don't eat while making slurping or chomping sounds.

I close my car windows when I listen to music loudly.

I clean up after myself.

I flush the toilet.

I stand in line and open doors for others, etc etc.

But that's just me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let's see if we can get this thread closed as well.

As a person who plays music on the golf course, every round I play (walking or riding)...

I am not wearing earbuds.  This doesn't even make sense.  

I am not going to turn my music OFF, regardless of what the people I might be paired with think/ask.  I am allowed to play music (assuming no rules against it at that course), I am going to enjoy my round of golf.

I will make an attempt to have the music volume at levels that my playing partners cannot hear (if they request it) when they are teeing off, hitting shots or putting.  But there will likely be times where that doesn't work and they might here it in the distance.

I will make an attempt for other groups on the course to not hear the music.  But there will be times where they will hear it in the distance.

The above is pretty standard at the courses I play at, in the area I play in, and I believe is mostly going to be the standard going forward.  Times change, demographics change. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I'd be concerned I might not hear someone yelling "FORE" and potentially be in danger on a golf course, where one should be aware of one's surroundings.

The level that many play music would make hard to say they are aware of their surroundings, with or without earbuds. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

The level that many play music would make hard to say they are aware of their surroundings, with or with earbuds. 

Yeah, but I think we've already established that those inconsiderate souls are a problem and I'm not worried if they end up getting themselves hurt because they can't hear someone yell fore. 

On the few occasions I've been paired with randoms that were playing music, I've been lucky enough that they were keeping it to a very reasonable volume. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

The level that many play music would make hard to say they are aware of their surroundings, with or with earbuds. 

Exactly.  Another example that what happens out there is not the same as what is claimed in here.

This Saturday, 11:15AM tee time.  Course was surprisingly not busy for a peak time -- weather was great, Labor Day Saturday maybe explains it with people out of town and college football starting up.  We have a twosome, a group of 8 is a little bit behind us at 12P and 12:12P.

That group of 8 ends up being late 20s / early 30s and has music on LOUD.  Complete bro-golf scene.  I'm lining up a putt on #3 green as their first group of four is coming to the first tee jamming out at like max volume.  Air guitar solos, the whole deal, heard them several times during the round.  On what planet is this acceptable?

So....my group of two is supposed to go two fairways over, confront those guys, and tell them to knock it off?  Right, no, I am not doing that.  Surprised the starter didn't put a stop to it, but whatever.  It was annoying, but I'm not going to allow it to ruin my day.

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

2 hours ago, mshills said:

Exactly.  Another example that what happens out there is not the same as what is claimed in here.

This Saturday, 11:15AM tee time.  Course was surprisingly not busy for a peak time -- weather was great, Labor Day Saturday maybe explains it with people out of town and college football starting up.  We have a twosome, a group of 8 is a little bit behind us at 12P and 12:12P.

That group of 8 ends up being late 20s / early 30s and has music on LOUD.  Complete bro-golf scene.  I'm lining up a putt on #3 green as their first group of four is coming to the first tee jamming out at like max volume.  Air guitar solos, the whole deal, heard them several times during the round.  On what planet is this acceptable?

So....my group of two is supposed to go two fairways over, confront those guys, and tell them to knock it off?  Right, no, I am not doing that.  Surprised the starter didn't put a stop to it, but whatever.  It was annoying, but I'm not going to allow it to ruin my day.

This planet.  What makes a golf course so serene that the "bro-golf scene" is a bad thing?  What part of their "air guitar solo" bothered you?

I'm starting to understand now the issue from the no music side...just complain online and dont actually say anything to the course/people that are playing music louder than you think they should.  

2 hours ago, rzitup said:

This planet.  What makes a golf course so serene that the "bro-golf scene" is a bad thing?  What part of their "air guitar solo" bothered you?

I'm starting to understand now the issue from the no music side...just complain online and dont actually say anything to the course/people that are playing music louder than you think they should.  

Who are the "no music side"?  I've never met a "no music person".

On 9/5/2023 at 11:01 AM, nvr3putt said:

Personally, I would cancel my club membership if they allowed music on the course.

At this point in time, where I live, that would mean giving up golf. Which I may have to do if it gets bad enough. 

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2023 at 11:14 AM, rzitup said:

I am not going to turn my music OFF, regardless of what the people I might be paired with think/ask.  I am allowed to play music (assuming no rules against it at that course), I am going to enjoy my round of golf.

OK, if you're going to "be that guy", I will too. :pimp:

Since this is the "Rules of Golf and Etiquette" forum, even though this particular thread would appear to be more on the etiquette side, and, in general, discussing casual play, allow me to point out the "Rules" side.

You know, just in case you're involved in a serious/formal game/tournament.

1.2 "Standards of Player Conduct"

1.2a "Conduct Expected of All Players"

Showing consideration to others – for example, by playing at a prompt pace, looking out for the safety of others, and not distracting the play of another player.

No penalty strokes charged BUT the committee CAN disqualify the offender.

Presumably, the offender would be asked to stop the behavior, and, once done, that would be the end of it. Also presumably, if the offender did it a 2nd time, he would be asked to leave.

You know, just in cases,,,,,,, :classic_smile:

Carry on. :deadhorse:

• Like 4

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

10 hours ago, nsxguy said:

You know, just in case you're involved in a serious/formal game/tournament.

I play 3-4 times a week for hundreds/thousands of dollar. Reasonably serious/formal. 
I play in 10-15 serious/formal tournaments a year. 

I appreciate your attempt to clarify/skew the rules for me, but I’m confident this will never apply to my situation. 

In my experience, golf nowadays has plenty groups of jerkwads playing for a bunch of money while blaring supposedly musical noise from their carts. In fact, I've found that the size of a group's wagering is inversely proportional to their consideration for others. The self-styled "big money games" at most courses tend to think some bunch of guys on the next hole playing a $5 Nassau don't even exist. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, rzitup said:

I play 3-4 times a week for hundreds/thousands of dollar. Reasonably serious/formal. 
I play in 10-15 serious/formal tournaments a year. 

I appreciate your attempt to clarify/skew the rules for me, but I’m confident this will never apply to my situation. 

Not skewing anything.

Congratulations on your good fortune. And your not-so-passive brag. :classic_tongue:

But, assuming you do play in such tournaments, either you don't play your music in the first place, your playmates don't mind, or they don't know the Rules.

Good for you, not so much for them. :classic_wink:

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 3

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Forgive me for pointing this out, but music on the course seems to be an American thing! in the other countries I have played regular golf in, it does not happen (music on the course).

UK - never heard 

UAE (Dubai) - never

Malaysia - never

Thailand - never

Singapore - never

So in a word. No.

• Like 2

Driver - Tour Edge C722 10.5°, Ventus Red 6S

3 Wood - Callaway Paradym 15º, Ventus TR Blue 6S

3 - 4 Hybrid - Tour Edge C722, Ventus Blue 8S

5 - PW Mizuno MP 223, Nippon 950GH Neo S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 52.09 (Bent to 50.07), 54.09 & 58.12, DG S200

Putter - TaylorMade Spider X Hydro, KBS CT Tour (Matt Black) 120, SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol 1.0