2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Obsessed with golf, but failing miserably at improvement.

Hi

I am completely obsessed with golf, I spend all my spare time watching youtube videos of people playing, instructional videos, golf club reviews ect. I read books about golf in my down time at work. I go to the range 2 times a week and play once a week to try and improve. I've spent a fair chunk of cash putting together a set that should be perfect for a beginner according to my research.

But often I get out on the course, top my driver, shank my 5 iron, zig zagging down the fairway losing balls and scoring 7+ strokes on a par 4. It is so frustrating to be completely obsessed with something and put so much effort and money into it only to fail miserably. 

I can hit my driver great at the range, not amazingly straight or far but it gets in the air and carries about 200 yards. Then I go onto the course and often it takes me 3 balls to get one atleast 100 yards that i'm happy with (playing solo). I top my hybrids, chunk my irons.. and I lose motivation then rush my shots because I stop caring. My swing never really feels comfortable and I get overwhelmed by how many things I have to remember to do in my setup that i've picked up from watching instructional videos.

I can't just quit, I love this game and to be honest it's given me something to look forward too which makes it even tougher when I get to the course and leave more upset than happy.

I understand that you can't just walk into this game and become a top level player within 1 year but all I want is to be able to hit shots that aren't an absolute fail either 20 yards infront of me or straight into the trees.

Does anyone have any tips for overcoming this and learning to enjoy the game? I only play solo because I feel like the added pressure of others would make me even worse, none of my friends play golf but I want to join the local club once my game isn't embarrassing.

Thanks and sorry for the whiny post 

Edited by westozhacker
  • Like 1

Golf is an endless source of kicks in the nuts. I thinks its that way for most of us, people play for 50+ years and still stink. Keep at it and don't put so much pressure on yourself. Gotta have DJ brain, forget about the last shot by the time you walk to the next. I made a gorgeous birdie last night at league then sh*t myself on the next hole, its just the way she goes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Wilson FG Tour V4 4-PW DG Pro S300

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

If you didn't come to the game with a healthy amount of hand-eye coordination already engrained it's very hard to hit a golf ball. 

Even those (like me) who had experience with playing baseball as a kid and thus could easily hit a ball with a bat, had to hit countless golf balls on the range to learn to consistently deliver the club into the ball and develop a swing. 

Honestly? If you don't have a pre-existing ability to hit the ball reasonably solid and a swing from which to work you're stuck just trying to learn to swing a stick and hit a ball. That's very hard to do, period. 

I would recommending putting every ounce of effort into just develop that ability. Get with a coach to establish some basics (a reasonable swing shape, club path, weight shift, low point control, etc.) and hit tons and tons of ball on the range. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

Play...Enjoy the process...Take lessons  

Play whenever possible.  Practice while playing (not keeping score).

Hit a shot, think about what went right or wrong, & then move on to the next shot.

Getting lessons will save a lot of frustration.  They will help you focus on something specific.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

lessons.  you need an outside perspective + consistent voice/guidance to establish good fundamentals.  youtube vids will be helpful in the future once you've built familiarity with your own swing and can self-diagnose

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

You've gotta get off the Youtube instructional videos. You're probably thinking about a 93 things during your swing. Grabbing a little tidbit from each video.

Find a local instructor or someone on skillest and only listen to them. Sounds like you need to build a solid foundation to work off of. 

The reason the Youtube videos do well and guys keep making them is because for the vast majority, they don't fix anything. So people log on and look for the next video when they haven't seem improvement. Unless you know exactlywhat you need to pin down and work on, and want to see a drill or something for that, it's just not all that helpful to watch a HOW TO STOP SLICING IN FIVE MINUTES! INCREDIBLE! video because there's a million reasons you could be slicing, and the chances that that video pins down what you need to work on are slim

• Like 1

It takes most people a while to consistently hit the ball in the air after they've taken up the game. 

As others said, lay off the videos and consider taking a lesson.  Or just lay off the videos. Videos and tips rarely work unless, by chance, they hit upon exactly something you can improve. There's a lot of ways to swing a club. 

Ideally you will not leave the course upset. Go easy on yourself and your expectations. It's a hard game but it will, eventually, come to you. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

Yes, yes - "get fit"... yes, yes "take lessons" - but good, hyped, non-store fitters won't give you the time of day if your swing is inconsistent.  Teachers - good luck finding a descent one that will give useful info and actually help you.  Out of 10 teachers that charge over a $100 per hour (I might add), maybe you'll find one worth going back to.  Unfortunately, you may have to embark on this odyssey.  The following are some thoughts that help me:

Golf requires that you begin a round in a relaxed state/mind and then stay in a clear-minded relaxed state throughout your round. The goal is to have fun. Many times I don't keep score so that I don't have that pressure; and I just focus on the one shot at-hand. During a round, if I only hit a couple of good shots that brought me joy, I focus on those instead of the bad shots.

When it's time to hit a shot on-course, you simply cannot think about mechanics or youtube etc or you'll miss every time; you have to trust that your setup and practice swing are good.  On-course, your pre-shot routine is vital. For me (hybrids/irons), I back away from the ball and graze the grass with my practice swing and I pay attention where the club sole skims the grass and then move my stance left or right of the ball so that the sole bottoms in front of the ball.  Unlike driving range mats, on-course lies are all different and require subtle adjustments on the fly = pre-shot routine.

All that said, from time to time, I do view youtube videos etc but I am looking for help with one specific problem/miss and I only view a couple of videos and ignore the rest. Then take that one fix to the range to practice. I also like https://www.golfsamurai.net/ for quick tips and drills.

Driver - could be a nightmare club because it's unique with lowest loft; took me years to find one that was comfortable with my swing and stiff back.  Great deal of patience and effort is required with this one.  Lesson maybe - you have to get your hand grip, stance. shoulder lean, etc right for your type of body.  Putter - similar.

Sorry for being long winded, but golf is an odyssey that we should all try to make fun for ourselves and with buddies.

• Like 1

Clubs: King Cobra 454 Comp 9* / Cobra LTDx Max 3 Wood / Srixon ZX4 Irons 4-P / Titleist Wedges - S Grind / SeeMore M7x   Note: Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

25 minutes ago, lambo428 said:

Yes, yes - "get fit"... yes, yes "take lessons" - but good, hyped, non-store fitters won't give you the time of day if your swing is inconsistent.  Teachers - good luck finding a descent one that will give useful info and actually help you.  Out of 10 teachers that charge over a $100 per hour (I might add), maybe you'll find one worth going back to.  Unfortunately, you may have to embark on this odyssey.  The following are some thoughts that help me:

OP see this, don't listen to this here's why.

Fitters - If you have access to a good agnostic fitter they will do their best to fit you. But if you cannot even make contact a good fitter will not want to sell you anything or continue the fit as it won't benefit you that day. I've had bad days in a fitting and so have others, they'll usually reschedule the fitting. The one thing that many people also seem to forget on this website is if you don't like your end results you don't have to buy what you got fit into. 

Coaches - this is any sport and any level too, not all coaches and athletes get along. You see and hear this all the time in pro sports, being a one on one lesson you need to do some research on the coaches in your area. See what their philosophy is in coaching, what you want to get out of coaching, what you're willing to put into it. If a coach wants to do a full swing rebuild and you just want refresher lessons that won't work. The other thing as well you need to put in the work, if a coach give you a drill to work on and you do it for a few reps don't expect change from it. 

I think most of the suggestions are good. You need to build some confidence on the course, we all do the difference standing over a shot you have full confidence with compared to something you are unsure of. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I am sure I am echoing what others have said... but contact a PGA pro in your area, and talk to them about lessons. They can help get you started and give you specific things to practice at the range. Avoid the YouTube videos. 

Don't worry so much about clubs right now. As your swing progresses you will find things you do and don't like in clubs. Then get fitted, but get those basics down. 

AND if lessons aren't possible because of time and/or budget, I would pick up either Golf My Way (J. Nicklaus), Harvey Penick's Little Red Book, or Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. None of them is the 100% definitive way to do it, but some great fundamentals. 

• Like 2

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G430 5w (Tour 2.0 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

"I can hit my driver great at the range, not amazingly straight or far but it gets in the air and carries about 200 yards. Then I go onto the course and often it takes me 3 balls to get one atleast 100 yards..."

Picking up on where we left off in your other thread, you might want to tee off with your 5w at least for the first 6 holes. Once you've gotten settled into your round a little bit more, then you can try your driver.

As far as watching Youtube videos is concerned, if you're watching a bunch of different people, you may not know enough to know when they're contradicting each other. I won't bother trying to persuade you to stop watching Youtube golf (we all know that's not going to happen, amirite?😸), but I will suggest you stick to someone whose advice you've been able to make work for you.

Videoing your swing, regularly, especially in slow motion, can be eye opening. For example, you might think you're doing something some golf wizard suggested, but the video tells you you're not even close, or you could be doing something completely idiotic you don't even know you're doing. 

Last thing, the first time I broke 100, I shot an 87. It was the same stupid swing, too. What made the difference was coming up with a super conservative plan that I stuck to. I had six clubs (D, 7w, 5i, 8i, pw, and putter). I made sure my drive was in the middle of the fairway, no matter how short. I got my second shot as close to the green as I could without getting in any trouble. I got my third shot on the green. I didn't try to make my first putt. I just tried to get it close to the hole.

It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly how it played out, but there were a couple of short holes I got on in 2. But even on those holes, I still stuck to my conservative putting plan. 

The reason I'm telling you all this is I think part of your issue on the course comes from trying to hit shots you don't have much or any confidence in. If you plan your round around shots you know you can hit, you'll be more likely to have an acceptable round and one you can take some satisfaction in having accomplished. 

You CANNOT teach your self.  Including watching videos and just trying to apply that to the range.

I recommend to actually hire a swing coach/golf pro to look at your swing.  You dont need to have a consistent coach per se, but someone to actually give you feedback.

Also play more practice less after you have someone look at your swing and you get semi comfortable with it.

Edited by Jeri6gt

TSR1 10 B1 Diamana ZF 60 R

TSI1 18 C3 Tensei Blue 65 R

TSI1 20 A4 HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0

2021 T200 4-6 PXi 5.0

AP2 714 7-PW Flighted PX 5.5

SM9 50/54/58 PX 6.0

Scotty CC Newport+ 

I agree with finding a good instructor. Once you have don’t even look at any online videos. The only swing thoughts should be the ones he gives you. I’ve also found shorter practice sessions better for me. The more you swing your body will tire and you will lose technique. I’m a firm believer if you end on good swings your muscle memory will remember those and the opposite is true if you end on bad swings. When I practice before a round I don’t worry about finishing the bucket. I stop when the swing feels good.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

OP see this, don't listen to this here's why.

I have nothing against good coaches or good fitters - I just think that finding a descent one is like trying to find a needle in a haystack and will cost you fortune to find.  Hey MattM97 have you ever been to TXG? How was that?

• Like 1

Clubs: King Cobra 454 Comp 9* / Cobra LTDx Max 3 Wood / Srixon ZX4 Irons 4-P / Titleist Wedges - S Grind / SeeMore M7x   Note: Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

What I did at your point was to play a 9 hole executive course with a minimalist set.  Just four irons and a putter. 

I simplified the game enough that I could play it, even as a recovering stroke survivor!  I teed off with a 22* four iron instead of a driver.

If I was having an off day I'd just hit my 7 iron until I found my swing.  I always managed to do so before the end of the round.

Edited by ShortGolfer

1 hour ago, lambo428 said:

I have nothing against good coaches or good fitters - I just think that finding a descent one is like trying to find a needle in a haystack and will cost you fortune to find.  Hey MattM97 have you ever been to TXG? How was that?

That is fair, I spent a lot of time finding a coach but mainly messages, emails, calls, watching their social media pages. Landed on a coach I'm currently working with where we get along really well.

I've been to TXG a bunch, going next Friday actually. I might be spoiled using them but I'd use the same tactics I do with any fitter.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I would recommend signing up for a beginners clinic which will get you some of the basics and usually are not as intense or expensive as private lessons to start. In the meantime, I suggest playing a par 3 course or shorter tees with a short set of clubs. 

Forget the YouTube videos for the reasons others have listed, too much conflicting information.

First of all, I agree with what @MelloYello said upthread.

Beyond that, for all the inspiring quotes and hand-me-down stories you read about great players "digging it out of the dirt" I think you've established by this point you are not one of the fortunate ones who can just assemble a swing out of sheer effort, determination, fortitude and bleeding hands. It worked a treat for Hogan, not everyone is Ben Hogan.

To me the answer is obvious. Ask around and find a in-person, mainstream teaching pro. Keep asking around until you find at least 2 or 3 positive endorsements from people he or she has worked with. Take lessons, do the practice drills he or she assigns you. And while you're taking lessons and working on the assigned practice DO NOT WATCH A SINGLE YOUTUBE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO OR SEEK OUT ADVICE FROM RANDOM PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER SEEN YOU SWING.

That's what I think, for what it's worth. I know plenty of people have good golf games they built from the ground up without ever having a single, traditional, one-on-one, face-to-face lesson. It didn't work for me, it ain't working for you. The traditional approach gives you the maximum chance for success.

• Thanks 1

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

16 hours ago, Jeri6gt said:

You CANNOT teach your self.  Including watching videos and just trying to apply that to the range.

I recommend to actually hire a swing coach/golf pro to look at your swing.  You dont need to have a consistent coach per se, but someone to actually give you feedback.

Also play more practice less after you have someone look at your swing and you get semi comfortable with it.

I agree with this  (bolded) statement qualified by " many  people  cannot" ...  But IMHO most people can learn to hit chip and shorter pitch shots well and with good mechanics and without outside assistance. Things happen slow enough that "what you sense is what you are doing..feel tends to be real. It will tend to have a subconscious/positive effect on your full swing and greatly improve your scores.

dave

In brief - In addition to everything that has been said, I would add just relax and make golfing a fun and enjoyable outing with smal short term goals and not overall score. And if you’re so inclined to continue reading, I can share how my wife got into the game last year.

My wife started playing last year. The first thing she did was sign up for the beginners group lessons at our local club. She alternates lessons with going out on a short 9 hole course which is perfect to practice on. In her first year, she teed up every shot just to make it easier to hit the ball and get some confidence.

She is in good shape - runs 3x10k every week, bikes to work, and she has also started to learn to play tennis and padel tennis as well to give some variety and help develop hand eye coordination.

I built a set for her which has a mini driver, a hybrid, 5-P T300 irons, 50 deg CBX Wedge, a Cleveland Smart Sole chipper and the Smart Sole Sand wedge - basically trying to make it simpler to choose clubs.

Now in her second year, she keeps score, and her goal now is to beat double bogey average consistently on the 9. She continues to make full use of all the group lesson activities our club offers, and and I think the most important part was she found a couple of playing buddies who are in the same boat as she is and they basically go out and have fun which also results in her coming home way more positive about how she did.

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver Kai'li Blue S

Callaway Mini Bertha 1.5 Kuro Kage S

TaylorMade Gapr Mid 3 KBS S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide

Since you're new to golf, you need lessons in order to improve.  Unless you grew up playing a rotary sport, it's going to be difficult to learn and progress quickly as an adult. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Don’t sweat it man. Golf is hard. It has a physical and mental aspect. Take some lessons and really implement what you learn at lessons and from YouTube into your range time. Also just breathe and don’t let what you’re going through keep you down. A lot of golf is in your head. If you get in your head too much it can really mess your game up. What you’re struggling with is super common and part of the learning process.  I know exactly how you feel because I’ve been there myself, A little personal story for you; i have autism and a lot of sports are very difficult. Social interactions are also very difficult. IGolf involves both of those. I spent the first few months just at the range every weekend. Then I started going on the course and struggled miserably. I was almost ready to quit but i loved the sport too much. It took me a few rounds with random people to realize I’m not the only one who was struggling and that everyone struggles at golf and most of my issue was in my own head. I finally got focused and really put the time in to get better so that I didn’t have to feel more uncomfortable than I already do and didn’t have even more awkward interactions than I already do. I’ve been playing a year now and I’m starting to pass up my friends and still have some crappy days and some great days. Well great for only playing a year. Long story short don’t sweat it. What you’re experiencing is common, keep getting out there keep practicing and keep breathing. No one cares if you suck. Also lessons are super super helpful especially if they have a trackman or some other shot tracker and a slow motion camera. Good luck and keep at it man 

• Thanks 1

Here is the method that is guaranteed to work , but you need  certain preconditions for it to work

DITCH watching YouTube instructional videos . Many contradict one another . In order to benefit from YouTube videos , one needs a good level of understanding of the  underlying biomechanics and anatomy of the golf swing . Most consumers of YouTube videos lack this understanding .

Post your LOCATION in order to receive local suggestions for instruction by those on Golfwrx . By far and away the best way to improve at golf is via in- person lessons . Second choice is via personalized internet suggestions for your specific swing problems .

Ditch full length , full speed swings .Focus on slower shorter swings with an emphasis on solid contact . The simple fact is the longer and faster the swing , the greater the probability of errors . And the more that you practice these full length swings , the more ingrained these errors will become . 

Although it is not necessary to spend mucho dinero  on equipment at your stage of development , using clubs with the incorrect lie angle for your  specific height and arm length  can easily result in later swing problems , so goto a clubfitter for the proper lie angle. 

My suggestion would be:

Read this book and do the exercises  advocated.

"The keys to the effortless golf swing" by Michael Mcteigue and watch the accompanying videos loaded on YouTube. They should give you a basic repeatable swing as a sound starting point.

Padraig Harrington series of YouTube stuff is quite good for a lot of basics

Don't chase distance (yet).

Key swing thoughts are OK for a practice pre swing routine but try and eliminate them for your actual shot.

Set realistic goals e.g if your aim is to get near 90 set your GIR as 2 for par 3's, 3 for par 4's and 4 for par 5's.

After a round don't dwell on mistakes and bad shots just think about what went well.

It takes several years to see an improvement in your game. The best thing to do is get a few lessons to learn how to grip the club, setup, and ball positioning etc. When you are at the range the driver should not be the first and or only club you hit. Start with your 7 iron, use alignment sticks, pick a target etc. This game is frustrating at times and also very fun especially when you hit them sweet shots. At the end of the day this game requires a  lot of practice but also the correct practice, you don't want to spend a lot of time practicing the wrong things to only have to turn around and spend time correcting it.

[b]"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. [/b]
[b]The average player has minimal time to make maximum compensations."[/b]
[b]-Not my quote, but a great one![/b]