2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Half Swings?

My irons feel trash lately. Not getting any real pop that I crave - use to hit the ball a lot farther. Feel I am kinda hanging back and the ball is kinda ballooning on me. 

Working with Brian Mogg and Kyle Mcclone down here in Orlando. Brian wants to have the club more in front of me (says I have slightly shorter arms for my body and club was getting way behind me). Has anybody had any success with half shots to get the release better and get a better finish (not hanging back)? 

When I slow down the vid even on the half shots tho - Seems like my club face is kinda ascending upwards tho. 

Love to hear any feedback on this - try to be positive if you will - the grind lately has me in a funk. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan Moser said:

My irons feel trash lately. Not getting any real pop that I crave - use to hit the ball a lot farther. Feel I am kinda hanging back and the ball is kinda ballooning on me. 

Working with Brian Mogg and Kyle Mcclone down here in Orlando. Brian wants to have the club more in front of me (says I have slightly shorter arms for my body and club was getting way behind me). Has anybody had any success with half shots to get the release better and get a better finish (not hanging back)? 

When I slow down the vid even on the half shots tho - Seems like my club face is kinda ascending upwards tho. 

Love to hear any feedback on this - try to be positive if you will - the grind lately has me in a funk. 

IMG_0509 2.MOV

I also have short arms relative to my torso length and total height.  What helped me really get the best dynamic loft at impact was taking half swing punch shots with my long irons, but I started them with a pretty decent forward press prior to swinging.  Think 100 yard chip shots.  It's just what worked for me.  

Driver:  TaylorMade Sim2 Max / 10 Deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / Lamkin Crossline
3W:  Titleist TSR3 HL  / 16.5 Deg / ProjectX HZRDUS Black 4g Stiff / Lamkin Crossline

7W:  Titleist TSR2  /  20.25 Deg  / Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV 65 Stiff  /  Lamkin Crossline

9W:  Titleist TSR1  /  23 Deg  /  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV 75 Stiff  /  Lamkin Crossline

5i - 7i:  Sub70 659CB Raw  /  KBS Tour-V 90 Black PVD Steel Stiff /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

8i - GW:  Sub70 659TC Raw  /  KBS Tour-V 90 Black PVD Steel Stiff  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

SW:  Sub70 JB Forged Wedge Full Groove Raw 55 Deg  /  KBS Tour-V 130 Black PVD Steel X-Stiff 8i soft stepped  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

LW:  Sub70 JB Forged Wedge Full Groove Raw 60 Deg  /  KBS Tour-V 130 Black PVD Steel X-Stiff 8i soft stepped  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Putter:  Bell Putters Bell 410

No real help but I have been spending a lot of time with 1/2 swings as well and I have the opposite problem where I am getting really flat and inside with my takeaway. I am operating under the premise that many teachers seem to suggest 1/2 swings and slower swings to help with sequencing and overall impact position and kind of this idea that if you can't hit a great, flushed 1/2 swing or hit the ball well at a slow speed...how are you going to consistently do it at top speed? 

All that said, I think I have overdone it a little bit and that is how I got to my super inside takeaway. I will say I played some VERY good golf this past weekend but I think I am slowly moving into a bad habit so I am trying to get my takeaway more neutral. All that said, I think 1/2 swings are helpful and I will continue to use them to work on motor patterns but they have to be monitored closely (at least in my case). 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

2 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

No real help but I have been spending a lot of time with 1/2 swings as well and I have the opposite problem where I am getting really flat and inside with my takeaway. I am operating under the premise that many teachers seem to suggest 1/2 swings and slower swings to help with sequencing and overall impact position and kind of this idea that if you can't hit a great, flushed 1/2 swing or hit the ball well at a slow speed...how are you going to consistently do it at top speed? 

All that said, I think I have overdone it a little bit and that is how I got to my super inside takeaway. I will say I played some VERY good golf this past weekend but I think I am slowly moving into a bad habit so I am trying to get my takeaway more neutral. All that said, I think 1/2 swings are helpful and I will continue to use them to work on motor patterns but they have to be monitored closely (at least in my case). 

Appreciate the feedback. I hear ya on that - gonna try to hit batches of 3 and then a full swing in between. Don't want to get too engrained into half swing like you mentioned. 

3 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

Your takeaway being more inside could be correct.  If you have a side on trail hand grip the club shaft should be parallel to your shoulders and if your shoulders turn the club will seem to be inside but it is not.  This is per a Mike Adams video that I saw, LOL it is not something that I thought of on my own but it works for me.  In the video it is mentioned that trying to take the club straight back has ruined many good players.

You're talented, the hanging back is because your right side is locked to the ground.

Try unweighing your right heel as you start down to free up your right side so it can freely swing around the posted left. 

image.jpeg.9bb3fe5db1b902aea9600286727aba07.jpeg

Even this far past impact your right foot is stuck to the ground.

image.jpeg.11bffda572dedeab6793cc9edfcd6677.jpeg

As far as the clubhead ascending up, let it. The clubhead makes a circle so don't artificially try to hold it down past impact. 

image.jpeg.d9108f9b6f9c1514b5a695f2e7175a64.jpeg

You're spending a bunch of money to see mogg only to come to this group to validate what he's said to do. 

No offense to anyone on this board, but outside of monte and Jim Waldron, I doubt anyone who's going to reply is going to come close to touching mogg's credentials. 

I've been in Orlando since 2001 and have known about mogg for most of that time. Follow his guidance and don't muddy your mind with the well intending yet free advice you get here.

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 4

I agree with others about listening to Brian.

But I also suspect you're going to talk about this eventually. If you're bending the arm this quickly in a < 1/2 swing… it's likely bending a LOT more in the full swing.

01.jpg

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

6 hours ago, Ryan Moser said:

I just feel like such a hacker pulling up to the range and practicing these. Probably for my own good though. Just wanted confirmation it is not a stupid idea to practice these. 

5 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

It’s about poor perceptions.  “This feels weird and I’ll feel stupid if I do that.”  Of course it feels weird, it’s different than what you do.  If it didn’t feel different, you’d be doing the same thing.  

To add to this point Monte made, I made/am working on a change that superficially barely looks like anything but is such a noticeable difference in feel that I needed video to know *anything* about what was really happening. You can not underestimate both how deeply ingrained movement patterns can be and how even the slightest deviation from them, good/bad/indifferent, can feel like your whole world has changed. All of that is scary, and as Monte said is absolutely a big reason why people don't improve. 

Don't trust feel until video can corroborate it, and it sounds like via several people in this thread that you should be trusting your instructor here. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

1/2 swings 4 days a week for months and months. 90% of my range time is short irons to the 80 to 100 yard flags. 

Scores have dropped a bunch.  IE today - 8 of 9 greens in regulation. Hit 1 flag stick from 30 yards out on a par 5. Shot 37 on aerated greens. I've had many 36 and 37s since using thousands of 1/2 swings on the range.  

• Like 3

On 6/22/2023 at 3:57 PM, iacas said:

I agree with others about listening to Brian.

But I also suspect you're going to talk about this eventually. If you're bending the arm this quickly in a < 1/2 swing… it's likely bending a LOT more in the full swing.

01.jpg

One swing is a short iron, the other is a driver. You cant compare these swings.

• Confused 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5

TEE C722 16.5

TEE C722 19

Srixon ZU85 22

New Level 902 5-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50,54,58

Odyssey White Hot OG # 7

1 hour ago, Elkhair said:

One swing is a short iron, the other is a driver. You cant compare these swings.

Yes, you can. The swings aren't that different.

He doesn't turn much for how much he bends his elbow. I could have used a bunch of other videos, but Justin Thomas bends his right elbow on the "faster" side of the spectrum for Tour players (and then stops bending it pretty early), so i went with that image.

• Like 2

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

On 6/22/2023 at 11:54 AM, SNIPERBBB said:

Welcome to the 9-3 drill. 

Was going to state/suggest the same. If you haven’t already, I’d highly recommend spending some time watching, learning and doing Slicefixer’s 9/3 drill.

It will do what you’re seeking and is the foundation of great ball striking. 

First thing I noticed was the right arm bend too and how quick right elbow sticks to right side. One of the many reasons I always hated the 9-3 drill or left arm parallel swings. Exponentially easier/better imo to do stuff like this 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpTWTpBDg7P/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

22 minutes ago, Kuuuch said:

First thing I noticed was the right arm bend too and how quick right elbow sticks to right side. One of the many reasons I always hated the 9-3 drill or left arm parallel swings. Exponentially easier/better imo to do stuff like this 

I'm not a huge fan of the ball between the arms, but I'm with you on the first part… I help a LOT of golfers who use the arms for too much "around" when the arms are almost primarily "up/down."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kuuuch said:

First thing I noticed was the right arm bend too and how quick right elbow sticks to right side. One of the many reasons I always hated the 9-3 drill or left arm parallel swings.

Not to hijack this thread, on the subject of 9-3 swings, half swings, I get how we have to work this way to ingrain motion patterns - especially the body driven pivot that needs to happen. But I've always found it hard to connect these with full swings, since to say it bluntly I'm not looking for my P5 to be my P3 position. Don't know if I'm in the minority here or just don't grasp the intentions of the 9-3, since with full swings we're not coming into the impact zone the way we're practicing.

On 6/22/2023 at 9:51 AM, Ryan Moser said:

@GoGoErky Def going to try that because sometimes I struggle with the half swings feeling super arm dominant and then I get in a massive mental pretzel about how that will transfer over to my full swing that should be more full body movement. 

Half or 3/4 swings with my feet together changed my iron game for the better over a very short period of time. I'm no instructor, so this is only what works for me... But I start nearly every full swing practice session with 8i, feet together until I'm loose and making consistent contact. Then move the feet about a clubhead apart, rinse and repeat until I'm at a full swing. Some days it's 20 balls to get there, some days it's a full bucket, but it's gone a long way in eliminating the feeling of hitting off my trail leg.

Ya I’m with everyone on the general thumbs down for the 9-3 swing concept as a drill to improve the full swing. I get there might be a time and place for it as a feel. 

The reason why you feel so overly arm dominant is because as iacas said, you are. 

Would be much more helpful to see your full swing to give advice. 

From the little information we have, it looks like yet another example of the arms getting too far behind the shoulders and across the body in the backswing. It’s tough to fix this by simply swinging to 9:00, bc as seen in your attempts at the drill swing, you are used to narrowing the arms and pulling them across your body in the backswing. In this case you will just do a shorter version of the same issue.

This is also why you can’t just tell ams to “shorten their swing”. The answer is learning to move correctly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Halo25 said:

Thanks for that it makes sense what the OP coach is telling him about keeping the arms away from his body. 

Yeah. Not entirely on topic (half swings, 9-to-3) so I'll tuck it in a spoiler and move on.

Spoiler

I've done a lot with a training aid that we call "The Tube®" (it's not actually ®, inside joke) which basically keeps your trail elbow nearly straight. It's great for people who bend their elbow quickly and don't use or under-utilize their bodies (rotation). You get some impressive results in three swings with that on there.

I only ever use it in lessons for three swings because as I say to the students: "I like The Tube® because it makes you turn and bend your elbow less. I dislike The Tube® because it makes you turn and bend your elbow less." In other words, I use it to show them the geometry and how much shaft lean they can get and so on by changing the way and rate at which their elbow bends, and using their bodies more… and then we work on doing that without the training aid.

For example:

FItDqvUXoAEwvtq?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by iacas
Added image, spoiler