New Mizuno t24 wedges

jszgolf

On 8/27/2023 at 12:06 AM, noodle3872 said:

Looking at face progression, the bending weak and strong continues.

IMG_2490.png

Edited Sunday at 12:08 AM by noodle3872

Mildly frustrating with some of the fixed options, but this is pretty similar to how others (e.g. Cleveland) spec their stuff out, too. There’s probably more than one reason why Vokey dominates much of the market, but they’re much more customizable, for sure.

Forged Mizunos with a copper underlay represent my ideal wedge in terms of feel, but my ideal wedge set up is something like 50.10S, 54.12D, and 58.08C; two of the three are just not possible. Instead, looks like I’ll be going with a 52.10S bent 2* weak, and either a 50.08S or a 48.10S bent 2* weak…8* of bounce feels like a bit too little in a GW, but 12* feels like a bit too much.

If they’re going to charge as much as a Vokey, it would be nice for them to have the flexibility of Vokey in their offerings. T-24 represents progress, to be fair, but there’s still room for improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mainehacker21 said:

Just pre-ordered 54S and 58C can’t wait to try them out. I was a little hesitant on the S400 since I play lighter shafts but decided to give them a go.

Nice. Did you order blind or get fit? What colour? 

I had an S. It's nice for full shots and chipping with a square face. Goes great on soft courses or for those who are steep. But I found the D to do all of that just as well, but the heel relief allows it to be more versatle - particularly on tighter lies. 

I currently play the 58C. Love it. Only shot its not great at is a flop shot off a tight lie. I'd love an X for that shot.. but it would likely suck out of the bunker. 

When I upgrade my T22's I will go Satin. Currently have denim copper - beautiful finish but it does wear. 

• Like 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

1 hour ago, bombs said:

Nice. Did you order blind or get fit? What colour? 

I had an S. It's nice for full shots and chipping with a square face. Goes great on soft courses or for those who are steep. But I found the D to do all of that just as well, but the heel relief allows it to be more versatle - particularly on tighter lies. 

I currently play the 58C. Love it. Only shot its not great at is a flop shot off a tight lie. I'd love an X for that shot.. but it would likely suck out of the bunker. 

When I upgrade my T22's I will go Satin. Currently have denim copper - beautiful finish but it does wear. 

I ordered blind but with some Mizuno familiarity due to a stint with the T22’s. I was actually excited to see that the 54 in S is 10 bounce compared to 12 in T22 which I felt sat a little too high when square. 

Going satin all the way I think they nailed it this time around they look so money. 

On 9/10/2023 at 8:15 PM, Mainehacker21 said:

I ordered blind but with some Mizuno familiarity due to a stint with the T22’s. I was actually excited to see that the 54 in S is 10 bounce compared to 12 in T22 which I felt sat a little too high when square. 

Going satin all the way I think they nailed it this time around they look so money. 

Anyone have any idea how to custom order these with different shafts/lofts/lie? I looked on Mizunos site and you can order the stock wedges with the S400 but I’m looking at the Modus 125 wedge shafts.

8 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Thought this chart might be useful for some, especially the offset numbers, for those who obsess over such things.

Differences between models are modest, but not necessarily what I expected.

image.png.c7ad5a376a6710547cb90d147ef873ed.png

I got to check out the T24 54-10 today. I compared it to the S23 54-08 we had in the rack. The S23 54-08 is supposed to have 0.114 offset which is slightly more than the T24 but they both looked superb at address. They looked like they had next to no offset. 

Edited by noodle3872
  • Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

2 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

I got to check out the T24 54-10 today. I compared it to the S23 54-08 we had in the rack. The S23 54-08 is supposed to have 0.114 offset which is slightly more than the T24 but they both looked superb at address. They looked like they had next to no offset. 

I took a few demo swings off a mat today with the 54.10S. Superb looking wedge. Impeccable feel (better on full swings vs partial swings for me). Pretty effortless control. Top notch product.

I’ve got about 100-120 rounds on my current RTX wedges. I’ll be pulling the trigger on the T24 at some point next Spring. Just need to decide between C, X, or V grind in the 58. Would love to be able to test them on the turf. 

I was complaining about the bounce options a few weeks ago. After seeing them in hand and swinging a few, the 50.08S is very playable on full swings. There’s a lot of mass pushed low so it’s really stable. 

X grind looked more playable than I thought it would, despite low bounce. The leading edge is relatively blunted, so it doesn’t seem like it will be super diggy at that bounce. The V lays open pretty well, but the sole doesn’t smooth out as nicely as the X, so it definitely sits higher when laid open. C grind seems like the happy medium between the other two. 

D grind feels like it makes sense if it’s your highest lofted wedge and you use it in many/most situations. Personally, I could see myself using it in like a 52/56 or 52/58 set up. I go 50/54/58, so I don’t have much interest in it. 

My initial gut tells me 50.08S, 54.10S, 58.04X, coming from 50.10/54.12/58.09 in RTX wedges. I like the variety between the high bounce Cleveland 54 and the low bounce/high grind 58, and if the X grind is as playable as it seems, I’m hoping that setup would translate well, despite relatively soft turf conditions where I live. The C grind might not be different enough from the S for me when you take the loft differences into account. But again, I’d love to demo them on turf before pulling the trigger.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

I took a few demo swings off a mat today with the 54.10S. Superb looking wedge. Impeccable feel (better on full swings vs partial swings for me). Pretty effortless control. Top notch product.

I’ve got about 100-120 rounds on my current RTX wedges. I’ll be pulling the trigger on the T24 at some point next Spring. Just need to decide between C, X, or V grind in the 58. Would love to be able to test them on the turf. 

I was complaining about the bounce options a few weeks ago. After seeing them in hand and swinging a few, the 50.08S is very playable on full swings. There’s a lot of mass pushed low so it’s really stable. 

X grind looked more playable than I thought it would, despite low bounce. The leading edge is relatively blunted, so it doesn’t seem like it will be super diggy at that bounce. The V lays open pretty well, but the sole doesn’t smooth out as nicely as the X, so it definitely sits higher when laid open. C grind seems like the happy medium between the other two. 

D grind feels like it makes sense if it’s your highest lofted wedge and you use it in many/most situations. Personally, I could see myself using it in like a 52/56 or 52/58 set up. I go 50/54/58, so I don’t have much interest in it. 

My initial gut tells me 50.08S, 54.10S, 58.04X, coming from 50.10/54.12/58.09 in RTX wedges. I like the variety between the high bounce Cleveland 54 and the low bounce/high grind 58, and if the X grind is as playable as it seems, I’m hoping that setup would translate well, despite relatively soft turf conditions where I live. The C grind might not be different enough from the S for me when you take the loft differences into account. But again, I’d love to demo them on turf before pulling the trigger.

If the T24s are anything like the T22s, I would recommend the D grind over the S grind in the sand wedge if you do any kind of partial swings or fineese shots with the 54. The S grind is great in the 50 for full swings, but I find that I have trouble manipulating it if I want to take some off. The D grind in my 54 allows me to hit full shots or partial swings as I need to, or even chip with some finesse.

I'm thinking of switching my C grind lob wedge for an X grind. I typically use my low wedge for everything around the greens, and I feel that the X grind would give me more versatility (as well as a lower-sitting leading edge for when I need/want to hit a flop). How much of a difference in playability did you see between the X and C?

• Like 4

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 8.5° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 / 60g

3w: Mizuno ST-Z 15° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

5w: Mizuno ST-Z 18° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

4i-5i: Mizuno Pro 223 - Project X Rifle 6.5

6i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221 - Project X Rifle 6.5

50.07S: Mizuno T22 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
54.10S: Mizuno T24 - Satin Chrome - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
60.12V: Mizuno T24 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

2 minutes ago, picardyThird said:

I'm thinking of switching my C grind lob wedge for an X grind. I typically use my low wedge for everything around the greens, and I feel that the X grind would give me more versatility (as well as a lower-sitting leading edge for when I need/want to hit a flop). How much of a difference in playability did you see between the X and C?

This is what I was struggling with. I only really use my LW from like 50-60 yards and in. Again, I didn’t hit them, but I had a hunch just looking at/holding them that the X grind would still be surprisingly playable. A lot of it came down to how blunted the leading edge is. I have an old BeCu 60.04 Hogan wedge and that thing sits LOW to the ground with a SHARP leading edge. Better for shaving your face than it is for for green side chips. The T24 looks much closer to my RTX 58.08 and I find that thing to be pretty playable, even in soft conditions (the T24 58.08C seemed like a less versatile wedge than the RTX FF 58.09, also). I though for sure I’d like the C grind and after I looked at it I wasn’t so sure it would be as playable as I was hoping it would be on open face shots or on firm/tight lies, which is mostly where I’m reaching for the LW. 

3 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

This is what I was struggling with. I only really use my LW from like 50-60 yards and in. Again, I didn’t hit them, but I had a hunch just looking at/holding them that the X grind would still be surprisingly playable. A lot of it came down to how blunted the leading edge is. I have an old BeCu 60.04 Hogan wedge and that thing sits LOW to the ground with a SHARP leading edge. Better for shaving your face than it is for for green side chips. The T24 looks much closer to my RTX 58.08 and I find that thing to be pretty playable, even in soft conditions (the T24 58.08C seemed like a less versatile wedge than the RTX FF 58.09, also). I though for sure I’d like the C grind and after I looked at it I wasn’t so sure it would be as playable as I was hoping it would be on open face shots or on firm/tight lies, which is mostly where I’m reaching for the LW. 

I currently game the T22 58.08C, and I generally feel that I can hit almost any shot I need with it. The only exception is really the tight lie flop shot, where I feel that the lead edge gets too high off the ground and I don't feel confident that I won't bounce off the turf and blade it. Actually, I feel a similar anxiety with short-sided chips on a downhill lie; just a tiny bit of uncertainty that I feel might be aided with the lower bounce and more aggressive grind.

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 8.5° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 / 60g

3w: Mizuno ST-Z 15° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

5w: Mizuno ST-Z 18° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

4i-5i: Mizuno Pro 223 - Project X Rifle 6.5

6i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221 - Project X Rifle 6.5

50.07S: Mizuno T22 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
54.10S: Mizuno T24 - Satin Chrome - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
60.12V: Mizuno T24 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

These wedges are fantastic. In the feel department, there is not another wedge out there that will feel as good..

• Like 3

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

7 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

These wedges are fantastic. In the feel department, there is not another wedge out there that will feel as good..

I sure hope so, preordered a 50/56 to replace my Artisan wedges that are getting worn. Figured for half the price they would be worth a shot since I am loving my MP 223 irons. 

8 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Are you considering them for your bag? 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

3 minutes ago, Lemonde said:

Are you considering them for your bag? 

Yes.

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

How's the topline? Recent ones have seemed thick compared to Vokeys

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

1 hour ago, nova6868 said:

Have been thinking about trying these after seeing some good reviews, also torn between 58-C and 58-V

With nothing else to go off of, the C grind sits between V and X, so it might be relatively more versatile and workable in firm conditions, while the V actually looks pretty versatile while retaining more relative utility on full shots, especially in softer conditions.

I like higher bounce in my SW and lower bounce in my LW, so I'll probably stay away from the V grind, personally.  To be honest, though, I kinda wish there was a higher bounce V grind in those middle lofts.  That would have my attention.

Saw these in the store the other day, they have definitely tweaked the shape vs the T22 and T20 which looked very similar. They look great though, I think I prefer the new shape in the LW department. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

6 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Saw these in the store the other day, they have definitely tweaked the shape vs the T22 and T20 which looked very similar. They look great though, I think I prefer the new shape in the LW department. 

The new shape is more vokey. My guess is it is intentional and it is a Smart move to try and steal a little market share.

Edited by QuigleyDU

BALL; Chrome Soft X

On 9/27/2023 at 8:51 PM, QuigleyDU said:

The new shape is more vokey. My guess is it is intentional and it is a Smart move to try and steal a little market share.

Nothing about the new wedges from address is Vokey. Was at the store today looking at wedges and had the Sm9 and t24 side by side 

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

18 minutes ago, UnderPar18 said:

Nothing about the new wedges from address is Vokey. Was at the store today looking at wedges and had the Sm9 and t24 side by side 

To me they looked more that way. 🤷‍♂️

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I just got the 50.08S and 58.08C in the Denim. 

I also played the T22 in the 51.09S and 59.09C, so you know where I'm going. 

They eliminated the in-between lofts and bounces to make it easier to select, it's also easier and less work for them to have less labels LMAO, so now I'm having to bend these new ones anyway to get them to where i want them. 

I have to say, I don't think the faces of these new ones are as soft as the previous version. I know, I know, it sounds weird, but the T22 had softer faces and harder hosels (they were harder to bend, which surprised me). The T24 seem to be the opposite, the faces aren't as soft, they are more "springy" if I can say it like that, and the hosels are soft so they are easier to bend. I've hit them in two huge range sessions of a couple hundred balls each and 2 rounds. 

All my close range, around-the-green chips are not as good as before, the ball seems to "take off" with more speed and spring than the T22, which I could just butter and flick and it would just flap and die exactly where I put it without flying off. The T24 seems to just spring off the face and go, so i don't seem to have the same control as the T22. On full shots, also the same, the ball seems to take off faster and therefore much higher (for me), and is getting a few yards more. So, I guess I need to bend them weaker and see how that goes, but that means I'm taking them even weaker than I had the T22, as you can see from where I was before. 

Also, the new face angles with the less offset is not as appealing to me, and I know my contact is not the same, so that has a bit to do with what's happening also. It's better to have a bit of offset, for me, I'm in the Adam Scott camp of offsets that makes it easier to hit those shots, and helps my hands set up better, so that is a part of the problem, I know. 

But the not-so-soft springy feel is weird. I have to play a bit more, tweak them a bit more and see what happens. But man, I played so well with the T22, I could do anything with those,  so this new one is getting on my t**** a bit LOL

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

16 hours ago, HeadCovered said:

I just got the 50.08S and 58.08C in the Denim. 

I also played the T22 in the 51.09S and 59.09C, so you know where I'm going. 

They eliminated the in-between lofts and bounces to make it easier to select, it's also easier and less work for them to have less labels LMAO, so now I'm having to bend these new ones anyway to get them to where i want them. 

I have to say, I don't think the faces of these new ones are as soft as the previous version. I know, I know, it sounds weird, but the T22 had softer faces and harder hosels (they were harder to bend, which surprised me). The T24 seem to be the opposite, the faces aren't as soft, they are more "springy" if I can say it like that, and the hosels are soft so they are easier to bend. I've hit them in two huge range sessions of a couple hundred balls each and 2 rounds. 

All my close range, around-the-green chips are not as good as before, the ball seems to "take off" with more speed and spring than the T22, which I could just butter and flick and it would just flap and die exactly where I put it without flying off. The T24 seems to just spring off the face and go, so i don't seem to have the same control as the T22. On full shots, also the same, the ball seems to take off faster and therefore much higher (for me), and is getting a few yards more. So, I guess I need to bend them weaker and see how that goes, but that means I'm taking them even weaker than I had the T22, as you can see from where I was before. 

Also, the new face angles with the less offset is not as appealing to me, and I know my contact is not the same, so that has a bit to do with what's happening also. It's better to have a bit of offset, for me, I'm in the Adam Scott camp of offsets that makes it easier to hit those shots, and helps my hands set up better, so that is a part of the problem, I know. 

But the not-so-soft springy feel is weird. I have to play a bit more, tweak them a bit more and see what happens. But man, I played so well with the T22, I could do anything with those,  so this new one is getting on my t**** a bit LOL

You have 1° less loft. That makes the ball a little faster. Nothing to do with hardness.