2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Asking scratch or low hdcp golfers!

nvr3putt

3 minutes ago, nvr3putt said:

Compared to when you were a 10+ handicap player, what errors do you (almost) never commit anymore?

Not sure if directed at me, but here it goes : anything that amounts to a double bogey or said differently, don't ever just 'give up a shot', it being a complete mishit, a penalty from a poorly managed or execute stroke, a double chip, a lag putt that don't get close enough, a real short putt that you miss... you get the idea - if you can avoid the above, you can bogey half your hole and still shoot 80

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ya aside from hitting the ball better overall and longer, I don’t have as many penalty strokes and have almost none of the non-penalty, penalty strokes 😂 (Tops, blades, shanks, super chunks, double chips) these almost guarantee bogey and often worse.  

But you can’t just make bogeys all day long, you have to hit it well enough to make more pars than bogeys. I can tell you that as a 10, even though my putting sucked, I didn’t hit it well enough to be better than a 7 or 8 at best.  

• Like 1

I used to duff a lot of chips, don't really do that anymore.

I rarely miss a putt 5' or under where a few a round was guaranteed.

Less massive directional misses off the tee leading to less penalty strokes.

In general, I'd say I generally just lose less strokes in unique ways. When playing around a 10, it was a duck hook here, a slice here, a missed 4 footer here, a duffed chip here, etc.

Nowadays it basically comes down to either an overhook off the tee, or bad course management and a mishit leading to an impossible up and down. Or one too many beers in 100 degree heat and a complete loss of focus and balance :)

Edited by rooski
  • Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       PING PLD DS72

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Make better choices. Know when it's okay to go pin hunting and when hitting center of the green is the play. Make short putts, treat them all like they are for the win. That and reducing penalty strokes to almost none has helped me hover around 2 to +1 over the last 5 years. When the putter gets hot it's always a good day. 

• Like 1

No snap hooks haha i used to hateeee snap hooking the ball growing up and i can't remember the last time i hit one. 

other than what has been said above, just less bad shots and really no horrible shots. i also made it my top priority to have driver be my best club and i can remember 1 time in the past year i hit a ball OB with driver. gotten very good with staying away from big penalties with the big stick. 

• Like 1

Another thing I don't do anymore is suffer bad swings the entire round.

If a particular feel is off, I can usually self diagnose and get things straightened out and salvage the round before it goes entirely bad. Usually the issue is a feel starts to get a bit exaggerates and need to tone it down a bit. Old days I'd be coming up with wm entirely new swing mid round.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Hitting ball out of play. I usually wear out a ball before I lose it. My biggest fault... going at par 5's in two. Can't seem to get that out of my system...

One more thing. I don't try to fix my swing on the course. I usually play a slight draw, but if my day is giving me fades, I just adjust.

Edited by gripandrip

16 minutes ago, Kuuuch said:

i also made it my top priority to have driver be my best club and i can remember 1 time in the past year i hit a ball OB with driver. gotten very good with staying away from big penalties with the big stick. 

This is unbelievably good. I would think many tour pros couldn’t say the same if they played without spotters like we do. Is this lost balls in general or just OB? Does this include hazards and balls you couldn’t find but weren’t necessarily OB? 

I see all kinds of games with single digits to scratch players. With low single digit guys, I see a lot of the two way push cut and snap hook guys who don’t do it as much on their really good days which is what a USGA index is based upon but 6 of their last 20 scores range from 82-85 when they’re hitting it all over the planet with driver. 

• Like 1

Playing tees that give a significant number of approach shots longer than a 7 iron. Unless your swing speed is well in excess of 100mph, even if you hit greens beyond that range, you won’t have adequate landing angle to hold them. 

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

6 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

I do too but cart paths and trees can wear a ball out pretty quickly 😂

What is your driver swing speed? Just curious. 

Getting a little older. I max out at about 105 these days. Don't miss many fairways, but when your distance maxes out 275 (with good roll) you don't get in as much trouble.

The main error I don't commit anymore is NOT thinking my way through every shot. This has really helped lower my handicap. Before every shot I know where to miss and where not to miss. Take a little time and use your rangefinder along with a GPS app (especially if you don't know the course) to figure out where to miss the ball and I promise you will lower your scores.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth - Oban Devotion 6 - X-stiff cut down 1"

3 wood: TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 - Stock 60g shaft - Stiff

Hybrid: Ping G425 Crossover 2-iron -  Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 - Stiff cut down 1"

Irons: Ping i210 4-PW - Nippon NS Pro 1050 GH - Stiff

Wedges: Cleveland RTX ZipCore 50,54,58 (full face) - Stock wedge shaft

Putter: Taylormade TP Del Monte 7

Grips: Winn DriTac 2.0 standard

SuperStroke Traxion Tour 3.0

Whiff a ball & 4-putt ?

Other than that, I can still duff one in the rough, thin one from the fairway, lay the sod over the ball on a tight lie, 3-putt, toe hook it off the planet, random snap-fade, top a 3W, skull a bunker shot.  Man, I need to go practice!

• Like 2

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Driving Iron  Ping iCrossover 2i Ventus Blue 9x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, ferrispgm said:

Course strategy is much better, I'm much more conservative with my targets now and aim at the middle of the fairway and middle of most greens.  Take my medicine when I don't have a realistic shot at getting it close.  The cold tops/skulls are totally gone though I still have the occasional thinned heel cut with a 3 wood when I'm not comfortable.  I hit a ball out of play maybe a few times a year tops now vs like 1 per round before.  Can't remember the last time I had a double bogey.

A lot of this. If there is a big problem off the tee (OB, water, PA), I am really determined to miss it. I virtually never flub a chip. When I miss a shot, I always advance it toward the hole. I play to conservative targets (I have taken to heart the advice that it is far easier to avoid a bogey than to make a birdie). I am ALWAYS looking to avoid significant trouble, particularly around greens. I am comfortable playing to a green where I leave 30-40 foot two-putt to make par. If I am in trouble, I try to get the ball back in play immediately and give my self some sort of putt for par--even if it is from 30 feet.

5 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Almost never hit a ball out of bounds and very rarely have penalty shots off the tee. Short game is almost always giving me a look at par, no real stubbed/misplayed chips/pitches/bunker shots and it's very rare outside the really bad leaves that I won't at least have a putt at it. I won't say I don't miss greens I shouldn't, it still happens but I hit way more greens through the bag. Very rare to have a big mishit causing a missed green, especially with scoring clubs. I don't compound errors very often leading to blow up holes. 

See I know all of this is what I need to do to be better but not doing all that is easier said than done.

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

4 hours ago, MPStrat said:

This is unbelievably good. I would think many tour pros couldn’t say the same if they played without spotters like we do. Is this lost balls in general or just OB? Does this include hazards and balls you couldn’t find but weren’t necessarily OB? 

I see all kinds of games with single digits to scratch players. With low single digit guys, I see a lot of the two way push cut and snap hook guys who don’t do it as much on their really good days which is what a USGA index is based upon but 6 of their last 20 scores range from 82-85 when they’re hitting it all over the planet with driver. 

OB balls. I hope it never changes but the 2 guys on the KF I play with regularly say I’m one of the straightest drivers of the ball they’ve played with. One day it just clicked and it hasn’t changed since. My iron game is sub par imo but driver is a much different story. 

Helps that my home course is extremely tight and I’ve gotten very comfortable hitting a bunch of diff shots with driver so when I go to other courses it feels wide open.

I also am not getting rid of my driver until it cracks or breaks. Ping g400 max 10.5 cut to 44.5” with extra weight added to the head. Most forgiving driver I’ve ever hit in my life lol

• Like 2

Decision making and routine. Choose good targets and develop a routine that puts you in a comfortable mental state "auto pilot" for full shots. Don't freak out when you miss and rinse and repeat. The driver has to fly 250 minimum to be a scratch player and it has to have a somewhat reliable curve (straight isn't a curve). Make friends with your driver and your sand wedge. Your putter will always treat you like a cat; love you sometimes and then scratch you for no reason. Good luck

• Like 1

1. Hitting more greens.

2. Making more 4 foot to 15 foot putts. Stop practicing under 3 footers (usually automatic) or over 15 footers (usually a guess anyway). It's pointless.

3. I know the stats say better players don't make more birdies, but I would say make more birdies. It not only allows you to make bogeys, but it gives you confidence.

4. Get up and down more. If you can't use your wedges well, you can't get a lower handicap. Plain and simple. When I was junior I beat a kid 5-4 because I kept getting up and down, even though I missed nearly every green in regulation.

5. Don't hit into penalty areas/Don't make doubles or worse.

Things I don't think help much...

1. Driving it better. Accept that you won't hit more than half of your fairways. Especially don't worry about being in the trees. You can get up and down or at least make bogey with a punch out.

2. Eagle opportunities. If you are playing for score, you are not trying to hit every par 5 in 2 or short par 4 in 1.

3. Hitting different types of shots. Find a reliable swing, a reliable sand strategy, and a reliable chipping & pitching stroke. You need shots you can rely on more than you need every shot. Many pros accept they can't hit a draw.

4. Omitting swing thoughts. What's the point of practicing if you can't improve it on the course? Use what you are working on.

5. Changing clubs all the time. Looking for something in your equipment is a rabbit hole. Play well with what you got and tweak things later.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST180 9.5, Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno ST180 15 (16), Tensei CK Blue S 60g

Mizuno CLK 2020 3H 19, Tensei CK Blue S 70g

Snake Eyes TC-01 (4-P), S300 (130g)

Cleveland CBX2 52, DG 115

Callaway MD5 56 & 60, S200

Odyssey White Hot #2 (Steve Stricker's putter)

MCC in woods, Lamkin Crossline, Srixon Z Star

Perhaps the most important lesson we can all learn from the greatness of Tiger Woods is that his floor was higher than anybody else's. It was his avoidance of bogeys, and particularly double bogeys and worse that set him apart from his peers. We all remember his birdies and eagles and the times when his Cameron was en fuego, but it was the discipline to play smart, even boring golf that made him who he is.

How does one do that? Getting the ball from the tee into a position where the green can be most likely hit in regulation. This means picking a club and target that gives you the best chance to be between the trees and not in a fairway bunker. From there, pick the club and target that gives you the highest probability of your next shot being a putt. To do this, you have to truly know what your scatter patterns side to side AND front to back look like with each iron. This requires time on something like a TrackMan or GCQuad. Both of those disciplines require some study of the course you're playing on something like Google Maps.

Boring, effective golf also means knowing what kind of shot you are most effective at executing and committing to play that shot whenever possible. If it's a low draw, play that unless the situation makes that impossible. If it's a high fade, play that thing unless you absolutely must do something else. Play the shot you can execute effectively the most often unless the situation dictates otherwise.

Edited by bcflyguy1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

18 hours ago, MPStrat said:

Hits home way too hard.

• Like 3