2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Has your opinion on music on the course changed?

9 hours ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

IMO, even if you're 100% opposed, the only polite way to answer that question is "Sure, go ahead."  And then, you suffer over the 18 holes and make a mental note never to play with this guy again.  Same process if the guy asks permission to do drugs.  Once either question is asked, the round is already starting off on the wrong foot.  Might as well keep it to yourself, let the guy enjoy himself, and make the best of it.  Because if you say no, he'll hold it against you, and he'll consciously or subconsciously torpedo your day anyway.    

I’ve gone the exact opposite route the times I’ve been asked….”Do you mind if I play music?” If you have earbuds and I can’t hear it, no I don’t mind. If you plan to just play it out loud, I do mind and would prefer that you did not.” Why should I have to suffer because someone can’t go two or four hours without man made stimuli? My rounds have gone well each time. I cannot stress enough how much it bothers me on the course. In contrast to the previous post my hearing is unbelievably good, like so good my doctor couldn’t believe my test results. Maybe that’s why I find it so offensive and irritating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

19 hours ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

IMO, even if you're 100% opposed, the only polite way to answer that question is "Sure, go ahead."  And then, you suffer over the 18 holes and make a mental note never to play with this guy again.  Same process if the guy asks permission to do drugs.  Once either question is asked, the round is already starting off on the wrong foot.  Might as well keep it to yourself, let the guy enjoy himself, and make the best of it.  Because if you say no, he'll hold it against you, and he'll consciously or subconsciously torpedo your day anyway.    

When I'm asked that question, I answer it directly. I say no, I don't want to hear it. That's not impolite, it's a simple statement of fact.

If he can't make it through his round without music, then he'll have to make it through his round without me. Those are the two options, it's his choice. 

• Thanks 2

Not really.  I still prefer not hearing music while out on the course but so long as volumes are kept barely audible away from the cart, it's tolerable.  It's also nice if those choosing to play music ask those they are playing with if they mind - and not get butt hurt if someone says please don't.

I’d be interested in the psychology of having music playing, as in why, and how does it enhance the game? 
Im out there for the peace and quiet, life has enough noise, cars, tv, crowds etc.  etc.   

I’ve read the comments like, I payed my money, (IOW, I have a right to do whatever I want)  so I’m entitled to play it.  I wonder if that principle applies to other venues , a movie theatre, shopping, drs office, out for a walk in a quiet neighborhood?

it’s all rather perplexing to me, for the most part I just try to ignore it, sometimes there’s music blasting from an adjacent fairway, but that dissipates soon, as they and we play on.  There’s one of our regulars who play music very softly in his cart, can’t hear it from 10’ away, I won’t ride with him.   One time a non regular in the group was playing music too loud, by the 6th hole I’d had enough, asked him if he had a lot of different music, he replied yes, what’re you looking for, how about Simon and Garfunkel ? He said yes! What song? I replied “The Sound of silence”.   He got the message and turned it off.   😉

• Like 1

Here is why I never consider music unless I am playing in a group of four where we know each other well, share similar tastes, and are not playing during prime time.

The last time I was paired with someone who “asked,” it went like this:  gets all his gear out, turns on speaker, starts playing music. Then he looks at me and says “you’re ok with the music, right?”

Am I totally wrong or is this incredibly rude? 

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

1 hour ago, mshills said:

Here is why I never consider music unless I am playing in a group of four where we know each other well, share similar tastes, and are not playing during prime time.

The last time I was paired with someone who “asked,” it went like this:  gets all his gear out, turns on speaker, starts playing music. Then he looks at me and says “you’re ok with the music, right?”

You're not wrong.

I've come up with a new answer though: "If you insist on playing music, then you should  expect to listen to me sing along; and I'm a terrible singer".

Edited by jacot23
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mshills said:

Yes, rude.  Reminds me of days gone by when someone would light up indoors and then ask, you’re ok if I smoke, right?   More a declaration than asking permission…

Edited by st1800e
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, mshills said:

It's rude, but it's also setting up to make you the bad guy when you say you don't want to hear it.  Which is like JohhnyCashForever said..... the mere bringing it up is an offence to etiquette in my mind, because you are either going to have to suffer through it in silence and wreck your round, or that guy will think of you as thumb-stuck-up-your-Word not allowed guy and torpedo your round.  But the guy bringing the unexpected, unnecessary and totally foreign to golf element wants to make you the bad guy for not going along with it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2023 at 4:05 PM, VNutz said:

I didn't like it when it started, but to each their own and let it be.

However, the past few years I feel like it's getting worse. It used to be the exception where I feel like it's now become the norm. The old argument that they keep it quiet enough for just their group is long gone. Routinely I hear music a fairway or two over, and usually from the same bros who look fairly new to the game to my eyes. No, I don't want to hear your $hitty Wonderwall cover. When I got paired with randoms frequently they'd ask if I'm ok with their music, that no longer seems to be a concern.

It's one of many changes brought on the past 3 years that I don't like seeing in the sport, and I don't see it going back.

Gee, it's almost like the people who were adamantly against it from the beginning who said it would mushroom(give 'em an inch they take a mile) were on to something.

I saw a thread on another forum that a course around Toronto has decided to ban music because they just can't find a happy medium on how to keep everyone happy(go figure).  Like I always said with smoking, the establishments that want to allow it should, and those that don't, don't.  Let the market decide.  You can run a successful business catering to a certain clientele, you don't have to be all things to all people.   

I hated music on the course when I first started hearing it, and it was against the Rules, like 10 years ago. Now that it’s legal, I still hate it. 

Tourney yesterday. 9 hole matches. My opponent is playing music in his cart, which, of course he is. On the 3rd hole of the match he asks, “I’m playing music, does anyone mind?”

I, of course, say “I’d prefer if you didn’t play music”. Which, to my SHOCK, he actually turned it off. AND, not unexpectedly, his game went right in the tank and I won 2&1. 

For these people, I don’t think playing music “helps” them to play better. But, when they play music every single round, and suddenly have to play in silence, subconsciously it makes the round “weird”, and not “normal”, and they play worse. 

For music players that are forced to play without music, I hope the silence bothers them as much as their music playing bothers me. 

Lastly, it’s only on the WWW that people play music that “you can’t hear outside of the cart” or “can only hear 20 yards away”. A complete farce. If you’re playing music, on a quiet course, I’m going to hear your music if I’m within nearly 200 yards in most cases. 

Anytime my friends and I see and hear a cart playing music on another hole we say, “You can’t hear it outside the cart” as said so many times on the internet. 

TLDR:

Still hate it. 

• Like 1

The thing is, there are headphones out there that have transparency settings that allow you to both listen to music and hear conversation. If you want music while you play, you can have it WITHOUT risking disturbing others who have ALSO payed to play and enjoy themselves. 

THAT is what makes people who play music out loud selfish: It doesn't need to be out loud with the options we have today. If you can afford to play golf, you can afford a pair of earbuds, and there are plenty of wrap-around options for those worried about losing earbuds while swinging. 

On 8/5/2023 at 8:31 AM, JohnnyCashForever said:

Why does the pro-music or drug-using player get to "enjoy himself" at our expense? I don't see it being any different than asking "do you mind if I smoke cigarettes in the cart we're sharing?" Should we keep our resistance to that to ourselves, as well?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, erichake said:

Why does the pro-music or drug-using player get to "enjoy himself" at our expense? I don't see it being any different than asking "do you mind if I smoke cigarettes in the cart we're sharing?" Should we keep our resistance to that to ourselves, as well?

Well they get to listen to the music we don't want to hear, or get to get high smoking their dope while we have to smell the crap.  Is this really that hard?

I can't help but conclude that there is likely a relationship between the reality that some people are insisting on having music on a golf course at the same time that our society is seeing an increasing number of individuals incapable of holding meaningful interpersonal conversation. 

I'm running into more and more people playing talk radio and podcasts now. I'll take music over that any day of the week. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

On 8/4/2023 at 12:39 PM, Dpavs said:

Nope, my opinion is still the same.

I actually wonder, if this is indeed an ever increasing trend, what it is golf going to be like when 60-80% of the carts rolling around the course are playing that groups music preferences.

I cant wait until all golf courses have large speakers on poles near every green, and it's all synced up to to every cart, and you get to pick songs like an old school juke box!

On 8/7/2023 at 8:11 AM, IndyArcher said:

The thing is, there are headphones out there that have transparency settings that allow you to both listen to music and hear conversation. If you want music while you play, you can have it WITHOUT risking disturbing others who have ALSO payed to play and enjoy themselves. 

THAT is what makes people who play music out loud selfish: It doesn't need to be out loud with the options we have today. If you can afford to play golf, you can afford a pair of earbuds, and there are plenty of wrap-around options for those worried about losing earbuds while swinging. 

Some people dont like earbuds.  Courses allow music.  Only one side is being selfish.  

• Sad 2

On 8/4/2023 at 7:33 PM, Shallowface said:

No.  Music on the course is beyond stupid.

If you are out there to play your best golf, why do you want that distraction?

Which leads me to conclude you couldn't care less about the golf.  It's just about listening to tunes and drinking beer.

Here's a suggestion.  Take the tunes and beer to a nice park someplace, and leave golf to golfers.

You'll thank me later, because you'll save a lot of money and you're gonna need it.

How exactly does music and a couple of beers prevent a person from also caring about their golf game? 

22 hours ago, IndyArcher said:

I can't help but conclude that there is likely a relationship between the reality that some people are insisting on having music on a golf course at the same time that our society is seeing an increasing number of individuals incapable of holding meaningful interpersonal conversation. 

Music playing often creates a more social atmosphere that leads to more conversation, not less. Chronic earbuds, on the other hand........

7 hours ago, RCGA said:

I'm running into more and more people playing talk radio and podcasts now. I'll take music over that any day of the week. 

F all that. I don’t always ask someone to turn the music off unless it’s obnoxious. Political talk, forget it. Turn it off please, or I’m going to play ahead. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

13 minutes ago, mshills said:

F all that. I don’t always ask someone to turn the music off unless it’s obnoxious. Political talk, forget it. Turn it off please, or I’m going to play ahead. 

There used to be one older guy at my home course who listened to the most toxic, hateful talk radio stuff every minute he was at the course. He'd have it playing in his cart while he warmed up and had his phone clipped to his belt playing it when he was away from his cart to hit a shot or something. Fortunately I never had to play with him and tell him to shut it down but just being with 40 yards of him occasionally and hearing little snippets made me want to go in the clubhouse and take a shower. 

I honestly wonder how the guy wasn't psychotic, having that sort of poison seeping into his ears all day long, every day. It was vile, vile stuff. 

I've seen him around a couple times in recent months sans talk radio, going about his business in silence. Don't know if he wised up or if someone spoke to him about it. Or maybe he just has earbuds now, don't know, don't care. 

Edited by North Butte
  • Sad 1