Has your opinion on music on the course changed?

I'd certainly rather occasionally hear a blip of music I don't like, than have someone wearing ear buds get nailed with an errant ball because they cant hear the FORE call. Suggesting others to wear ear buds on the course is just not a good idea. 

So worried about respect for others but then suggest those same others put their lives at risk to spare you a moment of discomfort.... bizarre. 

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

It's become the normal. For me, it's the party groups with the huge speaker up as loud as it will go that I can't stand. You can hear hit 3 fairways over and it's a lot.

I do listen to music when I play a lot, but you can't hear my music farther that 20 feet away from my cart. Even then, if I get anywhere near anyone else, I turn it all the way down so I'm not bothering anyone. You wouldn't know I had music on unless you were riding in my cart.

You have 2 groups on the course nowadays. It's either people out there to party it up or people out there who are trying to play and get better at the game. This is a personal observation.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

I would use earbuds if playing as a single in the off season, but when bad songs come on I get pissed off and it ruins my game.... LOL Courses are usually deserted where I play in the winter (to the degree that FORE isn't a problem).

As far as the overall question of music on a course. I'm mixed on it.... "Some" thoughts......

I played with a guy and his son and he turned music on. He kept it low and I could barely even hear it from the tee box, and I definitely wouldn't have heard it from the other side of the fairway. I happened to like the music, but I felt that volume was quite reasonable.

I can adapt to any style of music too, so I would have been fine regardless......... Folks like that aren't the problem.

It's when people (💩) blast it and have no sense of proximity when they wheel up behind you or right next to you on adjacent tee boxes. They then holler over it clearly indicating it is even too loud for them. 💩💩

I don't need absolute quiet, but Power Electronic at the max is about as rude as it gets. There are reasonable levels, but even if someone thinks it should be reasonable to drive up next to someone blaring music, we're participating in an activity with other people around who have different expectations.

That's why there is this thing called "courtesy" where folks actually pretend for a few seconds that there are other people on the planet with general expectations of relative peace...... 😡

I'm pretty forgiving myself, but that sort of crap is rude.

</end soapbox>

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy
  • Like 1

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

Still hate it but I’m an old man who hates change. 

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I'm 68 and play with a lot of guys in their 40's and 50's, so I'm considered (politely) as an elder statesman of the group. I get some kind of musical respect as I came to the US with the Rolling Stones in the early 1980's and never went back to the UK. I'm still involved with people like Robert Plant, Mumford, Ellie Goulding, the Foals etc etc.

I can deal with low volume background old rock or country on the golf course but the wonderful thing about hearing loss (probably from my time with the Who) is the ability to turn my hearing aids up or down. I get paired in a cart with a different person every week - by the second hole they get to realize if it's too loud, I've got my Phonak's turned down and I will not be responding. I can easily turn them back up as I walk on the green.

I don't think I'm grumpy - I respect personal space - others need to do the same.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ozarkgolfer said:

I'm 68 and play with a lot of guys in their 40's and 50's, so I'm considered (politely) as an elder statesman of the group. I get some kind of musical respect as I came to the US with the Rolling Stones in the early 1980's and never went back to the UK. I'm still involved with people like Robert Plant, Mumford, Ellie Goulding, the Foals etc etc.

I can deal with low volume background old rock or country on the golf course but the wonderful thing about hearing loss (probably from my time with the Who) is the ability to turn my hearing aids up or down. I get paired in a cart with a different person every week - by the second hole they get to realize if it's too loud, I've got my Phonak's turned down and I will not be responding. I can easily turn them back up as I walk on the green.

I don't think I'm grumpy - I respect personal space - others need to do the same.

Lot of name dropping here.... musician, manager, tech, roadie ?

I've changed my attitude: used to be 'No' to music on the golf course, now ...

'Hell, No'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

I didn't like it when it started, but to each their own and let it be.

However, the past few years I feel like it's getting worse. It used to be the exception where I feel like it's now become the norm. The old argument that they keep it quiet enough for just their group is long gone. Routinely I hear music a fairway or two over, and usually from the same bros who look fairly new to the game to my eyes. No, I don't want to hear your $hitty Wonderwall cover. When I got paired with randoms frequently they'd ask if I'm ok with their music, that no longer seems to be a concern.

It's one of many changes brought on the past 3 years that I don't like seeing in the sport, and I don't see it going back.

6 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

This reminded me of something.... 

Got roped into playing a 2-man scramble recently and the other twosome had bro country going all 18 holes. I swear every single song sounded the same.

So at one point on the back nine my p!aying partner says " WTH bud, Shania Twain and Carrie Underwood not cool enough for you ?" lol

CE.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

1 hour ago, ozarkgolfer said:

Same age, and I probably play 80 of my golf during the week with guys around my age, so I really don’t hear music at the course often. I usually hit balls, and practice short game on the weekends, and the young guys play it pretty loudly. Most of the time it’s classic rock, or what passes for county, but It won’t hurt my feelings if I don’t hear Jimmy Buffet for a long time.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, david.c.w said:

To each his own, but don't make me listen to your music if I am not in your group.  In my own group, one speaker kept low enough so that you can't hear it 20 yards away or around other groups.  Dueling speakers are the worst.

Someone in this thread will say that they can hear every speaker on property.  There are those of us that are considerate.  Yes we are playing music, and no, you can't hear it.

My sentiments exactly. Sometimes, especially if I'm alone, I'll have something on in 1 earbud, but I don't care if others listen to music. I have yet to come across a group that has it so loud you can hear it 20 yards away, but some have come close.

8 hours ago, slytown said:

Would you play music without headphones on a train? No. Then why would you at a golf course? It's terrible.

I haven't been on public transportation much lately but when I did ride it a few years ago some people were doing just that. I have friends who do ride frequently and he often has complaints about the state of the trains, bus, etc.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

love music at the right times.

used to clip an iPod shuffle onto my shirt placket and wear ear buds.

now - it's wireless and so easy.

won't do it in a group, I consider that impolite.

when one of the guys uses his speaker - you really cannot hear it from 10 yds away so no worries.

and never let the music override your 'outside' hearing.  need to communicate with your partner and hear any warnings being called.

still, the best walks are just enjoying the peace and quiet. listen to the bag chatter and stay in the zone.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

11 hours ago, King_Slender said:

When people first started listening to music on the course, I didn't really mind, while the purists obviously found this an affront to the game. It was something different, delivered a different vibe and, while I still enjoyed rounds without music, it was fine.

Now that this trend has been going on for the last 8-10 years, it just irritates the piss out of me.  Playing with a lot of the same guys it's just the same stupid playlists - mostly country songs - over and over again.  

I just want to go back to rounds only filled with the sounds of golf shots, nature, and conversation!

/rant

"Do you mind if I play music?"

"Not if you don't mind me talking on my phone while you're hitting"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, erichake said:

"Do you mind if I play music?"

"Not if you don't mind me talking on my phone while you're hitting"

But seriously, folks.

If you don't want to hear music, what's the best way to answer when asked "OK if I play music?" 

"To be honest, I prefer the quiet of the golf course"

"Sure, as long as you keep the volume low and mute it when it's my turn to play"

"Sure, as long as it's not country, classic rock or rap"

No. Just no. Most public places are now filled with a perpetual barrage of media. Golf (at least for me) has always been a refuge. I love the game itself, but also entire experience. Walking six miles or so with just the sights and smells and sounds of nature. 

For most of the years (decades) I've been playing, music on courses was simply unheard of - considered a serious breach of etiquette. In fact even talking quietly while a guy was getting ready to hit was a breach of etiquette. Just the past few years, seemingly overnight, it somehow just became acceptable. No idea how that happened, but I really dislike it. 

Remember about a month ago when the problem got thrown into sharp relief. Had walked on as a single, was put with a threesome. With a BT speaker. Play was slow (a Par 3 bottleneck). The foursome behind us drove up while we were waiting on the tee. Also had a speaker. My group had country playing. The group behind had hip hop (what the heck is it with white suburban kids playing hip hop?). Got momentarily dizzy. Trying to figure out whether I needed to "cap tha ho", or cry in my beer 'cause she "did me wrong". 

But really, was just standing back thinking ... is this actually a golf course? How did this gross cacophony suddenly become okay?

Edited by bobfoster

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

33 minutes ago, erichake said:

But seriously, folks.

If you don't want to hear music, what's the best way to answer when asked "OK if I play music?" 

"Sure, as long as you keep the volume low and mute it when it's my turn to play"

I'd just say "To be honest, I'm not a fan."

• Like 1

No.  Music on the course is beyond stupid.

If you are out there to play your best golf, why do you want that distraction?

Which leads me to conclude you couldn't care less about the golf.  It's just about listening to tunes and drinking beer.

Here's a suggestion.  Take the tunes and beer to a nice park someplace, and leave golf to golfers.

You'll thank me later, because you'll save a lot of money and you're gonna need it.

• Like 2

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

8 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

I don't normally like music on the course, but any A Tribe Called Quest/De la Soul or modern jazzy downtempo groups like Bonobo/Nightmares on Wax are fine by me. The music has a way of receding into the background; it's the same reason I can listen to it working/studying. 

Unlike some annoying "Modern Country" crap which is bland and whiny.  It's also the types of people who listen to that crap: they tend to be "bro golfers" and often not good partners. 

Good take.  Great choice of bands to listen to.  I've been digging HNNY for the very same reasons, its chill slightly hiphop and beat/sample oriented.  It flows seamlessly in the background while I hit.  When I'm back to walking it picks up again.  Good rhythm for walking.

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

I hated it when it first became a thing and now I don’t know of a word in the English language strong enough to explain how much I DESPISE it! Playing today and playing very well, about to tee off on my 8th hole a par three over water, and at the top of my backswing the group coming off 7 cranks some AC/DC…..Chunk, double bogey, blood pressure through the roof. Beyond inconsiderate, totally self absorbed, and I hope the golf gods punish those idiots appropriately. This scenario is not the first I’ve experienced like it and I doubt it’ll be the last. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

No. Still can't stand it. Especially because it's always the same boring dad-rock garbage. 

Someone rolls up and jams to some Acid Bath? I might be down. 

Man, that's a stellar record. 

Edited by aenemated

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

7 hours ago, aenemated said:

No. Still can't stand it. Especially because it's always the same boring dad-rock garbage. 

Someone rolls up and jams to some Acid Bath? I might be down. 

Man, that's a stellar record. 

Yep...nothing like hearing the lyrics " I came to f - - - the open wound " behind you near the green  as your kid is teeing it up. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, erichake said:

But seriously, folks.

IMO, even if you're 100% opposed, the only polite way to answer that question is "Sure, go ahead."  And then, you suffer over the 18 holes and make a mental note never to play with this guy again.  Same process if the guy asks permission to do drugs.  Once either question is asked, the round is already starting off on the wrong foot.  Might as well keep it to yourself, let the guy enjoy himself, and make the best of it.  Because if you say no, he'll hold it against you, and he'll consciously or subconsciously torpedo your day anyway.    

• Like 1