2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

If majority of the LPGA don't use 4 irons.. why do you?

bombs

1 hour ago, PJE said:

This is insightful. I can hit a 4 iron well and I think so can many golfers up to mid handicaps.
For mid caps, GI irons now have low lofts so one needs some speed to launch it. Today’s 5 iron is also yesterday’s 4 iron.
So if you can hit a 5 iron well do you even need a 4 iron much less a 4 hybrid? I think it depends on the player’s gaps and the course. 
Suggesting that amateur golfers should emulate LPGA bag set ups is too broad of a brush. Lots of amateur golfers have higher swing speeds and hit it further than LPGA players so their ideal bag might be different than a typical LPGA bag. 

Don't believe this one bit.  And speed it kind of irrelevant.  Consistency is key.  LPGA player is gonna wax them 99 times out of 100.

2 hours ago, PJE said:

So if you can hit a 5 iron well do you even need a 4 iron much less a 4 hybrid? I think it depends on the player’s gaps and the course. 

Agreed.  One thing that often gets missed in the hybrid discussion is that hybrids are usually a lot longer than the clubs they ostensibly replace.  My "4-hybrid", and 21°, is 40" long stock.  Which is an inch longer than my 20° 3-iron.  Gapping gets challenging in these situations.

I would've said, go hybrid or fairway wood, when you can't get enough ball speed to ensure proper gapping in the iron set.  For me, that used to be true at the 3-iron to 4-iron gap.  Hence the hybrid purchase.

Also, some long irons are a lot easier to play than others. i210s, IME, are ridiculously easy to get up and spin adequately.  If I had blades or SGIs, I'd probably have a slew of hybrids for my 3-5, maybe 6-iron too.

It all depends.  I think @phizzy30's idea of having both hybrid and DI at a given loft, has some merit depending on expected distances, shots, and weather.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

She finished runner up at The Open and was pretty solid at Pebble earlier this summer.  I'd say she's had a decent year(understatement).   Plus she looks damn good in a bikini. 

But she couldn't get out of her way at the Solheim Cup.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I am glad @bombs is now stress-free and thinks he found the cheat code.   

FYI, never assume, based on one's skill or lack thereof, that your discovery is what the rest of us need to do to enjoy stress-free golf.  Golf has always been a stress-free game for me.  The result of learning the game using 15.5' 1i and 18' 2i MB and those dastardly 3-PW MBs.  Always been a horse of a different color, still rely on long irons.

I am not a big supporter of the LPGA.  But if what they choose works for you, go for it.

• Like 4
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

4 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

She finished runner up at The Open and was pretty solid at Pebble earlier this summer.  I'd say she's had a decent year(understatement).   Plus she looks damn good in a bikini. 

Pshhh, MtlJeff goes at least 2/4 on those accomplishments

• Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I put my ego aside and did this. So far has been a fantastic decision. 

I have intrusive thoughts sometimes about adding a 5 hybrid but my brain just can't do it right now. Maybe for my 40th bday in the future.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

5 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I think the question is more about launch than how difficult it is to hit. Many LPGA players probably can't launch a 4 iron even if they hit it perfectly, it would carry less or the same as their 5

Agree ^^^

Amazing doesn't matter, women, LPGA or men; if someone is unable to launch a given club, that's a reason for replacement hybrids. 

I have a T200 22' 4i with MMT i95S, and a new T100 24' 4i with MMT i85S.  The other day, hit T200 4i 195yds, and as far as 200+, and the T100 185+. 

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

5 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Agree ^^^

Amazing doesn't matter, women, LPGA or men; if someone is unable to launch a given club, that's a reason for replacement hybrids. 

I have a T200 22' 4i with MMT i95S, and a new T100 24' 4i with MMT i85S.  The other day, hit T200 4i 195yds, and as far as 200+, and the T100 185+. 

Note---I was on a trackman today and even with my SS my 4 iron carry is only ~6yds longer than my 5 iron carry---significantly less than 10-11 yd gaps i normally have

Again, this is a good indicator of why someone with a slower SS could not use a 4 iron

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

15 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Note---I was on a trackman today and even with my SS my 4 iron carry is only ~6yds longer than my 5 iron carry---significantly less than 10-11 yd gaps i normally have

Again, this is a good indicator of why someone with a slower SS could not use a 4 iron

You bring up another valid point, in long irons, CARRY distance is seldom discussed, vs. OVERALL distance.  Those distances I shared were overall.  Yet, carry distance is the most important number to know for every club.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

7 minutes ago, ProV1Killa said:

It's simple, when I pull out that teeny tiny MB 3 iron on the first tee and proceed to hit a sweeping hook that rolls out past your driver I'm in your head and the match is as good as over.

I've experienced similar during InterClub Match play.  Long 2–4 MB irons are deadly mind psyche's, when you can put the ball right down the middle with run out.  Still get my jollies watching playing partners scratch their heads.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

In todays club environment what even is a 4iron? Half of why i laugh when people try to ask what club I hit relative to their own, we might be 5 degrees apart based on stamps.

To answer the question, because it fills a need in my bag better than other options. Given my personal swing dynamics more loft or high launch is my worst nightmare.

Edited by HKS350
  • Like 1

Driver: Paradym *** 9* w/ AD DI 7x
3w: SIM Ti 15* w/ Zf 70 TX

Di: 20* Callaway apex Recoil 110 F5

Irons: Scratch sb-1 4-pw SPB 130x

Wedges: Artisan 50, 55, 59
Putter: Triple Black 9.5 LA Rickie style

12 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I've experienced similar during InterClub Match play.  Long 2–4 MB irons are deadly mind psyche's, when you can put the ball right down the middle with run out.  Still get my jollies watching playing partners scratch their heads.   

It's just such a satisfying way to start off a hole.

Although one dimensional, I love my 9 wood.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 7X

Callaway Ai Smoke 💎 💎💎20* - Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - UST Attas T2 8X

Titleist TSR1 26* - Fuji Atmos HB Blue TS 8X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - DG X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - DG X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - DG X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. DF3 - TPT - Press II 3* Smooth / L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - SS XL Tour 2.0

Srixon Z-Star 💎

14 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I love that feeling.

i equally hate the feeling after my competition witness me 3 jack that first hole and they know that it doesn’t matter how good of a ball striker i am if I can’t putt🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a faster ss player with both a 4i and hybrid in the bag considering the conditions living near the coast.  I got fit for my distance gaps and the higher trajectory shot with hybrid doesn't get exposed in the simulator.  Earlier in the year I had a TSR3 24* (5H) that went the same number as 4i in theory, but shorter with wind.  Switched to a T200 utility and it was too hot and low spin causing inconsistencies in distance control. The Mizuno does a better job hitting my window with a bit more speed and spin.  I then weakened the 4i to fill the gap between hybrid and 5i.  There's no stock answer and comparing to pros' setup needs is kind of a joke, as they're not like us athletically and under the pressure of competition for money.

• Like 1

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Diamana PD 60TX (D3) 8GF, 18GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

MG3 50*, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T24 60.12V, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Chrome Tour X

24 minutes ago, blades_are_life said:

It's just such a satisfying way to start off a hole.

Yes, but finishing a hole too.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

49 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

You triggered a memory....

One of the few times a random person noticed what's in my bag...  I was playing in a threesome at my usual course.  Was carrying Ram TG-898s, 2-PW.  Guys ahead of us saw us, let us play through because in their words, "we're way slower than you guys."

#2 at my course is a dogleg about 335 yds.  I usually hit my 2 iron off the tee in those days, to avoid tree issues.  One guy noticed I had an iron, came over to watch me put it in my bag and saw it was a 2i, and when he saw it was a blade, he got pretty jacked about the whole thing.

It really wasn't anything special, and still isn't.  Makes me laugh, though, even now.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 hours ago, gvogel said:

But she couldn't get out of her way at the Solheim Cup.

Can't win them all.  Euros managed to tie and retain the cup when it seemed as though the US would beat them on paper.   

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

You bring up another valid point, in long irons, CARRY distance is seldom discussed, vs. OVERALL distance.  Those distances I shared were overall.  Yet, carry distance is the most important number to know for every club.

I had that conversation with a golf buddy.  He still carries a 4 iron and will hit it anywhere from 170-200 ….but carry is only 160 tops.  So elevated green? No chance.  Soft conditions? No chance. Firm conditions? No idea how far run out will go.

I’m sure there are a few here that can still hit 3 and 4 irons.  My bet is that more on this thread are like my buddy.

The only answer is to do an honest assessment of your game.  Track greens in regulation with your long irons and proximity to hole. Perhaps most importantly track how often it leads to lost a lost stroke or two.

There is nothing “unmanly” about hitting hybrids.  I was in the same boat as many posts here in that the early hybrids were left machines but those days are long gone

• Like 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

14 hours ago, sheezymaneezy said:

Because I'm a macho man who bombs it 350y from the tips. 

This but unironically

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       PING PLD DS72

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

I had that conversation with a golf buddy.  He still carries a 4 iron and will hit it anywhere from 170-200 ….but carry is only 160 tops.  So elevated green? No chance.  Soft conditions? No chance. Firm conditions? No idea how far run out will go.

I’m sure there are a few here that can still hit 3 and 4 irons.  My bet is that more on this thread are like my buddy.

The only answer is to do an honest assessment of your game.  Track greens in regulation with your long irons and proximity to hole. Perhaps most importantly track how often it leads to lost a lost stroke or two.

There is nothing “unmanly” about hitting hybrids.  I was in the same boat as many posts here in that the early hybrids were left machines but those days are long gone

Can't say whether right or wrong, regarding who might be in that buddy boat you're suggesting.  I am not, and believe there are more than a few here.  Good golfers always know a few things, their strengths, weaknesses, and carry yardages of each club.  Otherwise, they don't/can't play hard courses, regional events or real $$$ matches.   

Good golf is NOT about ego, or static decisions.  Whether using blade long irons or hybrids, good golfers choose clubs based on need, or their ability to hit them.

There is NO right or wrong, carrying a 4i, 160yds, is fine, especially on shorter courses where there's no forced carry.  My 80+yr old relative still carries 4i-PW, but uses a hybrid too.  He only plays, 5500yd, no forced carries, so he's fine.  If you and others like hybrids, fine.  They don't interest me.  Maybe when I am 80+... LOL 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Haha 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX