2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Strange Happenings

cardoustie

So yesterday I started our Friday money game with a hole out from 114 for a deuce on hole 1

Ten days prior, on the same 18 holes (we have 36), starting on hole 10, I holed a 60* shot from 85 yards in our club’s Ryder Cup

both won skins 😎 … both shots landed behind the hole and with helping slope back doored in 

very close on the calendar for hole outs of this length, never had anything similar happen to me in 44 years of golf

let’s hear any other good karma stories or weird stuff that’s happened to other members

• Like 3

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Had a buddy away on a golf trip to Orlando, he made a 2 on the opening par 4 two days in a row, with the same club

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

Another pal has 6 aces, 4 righty and two lefty … 5 of them in tournaments 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EvnRoll ER9

28 minutes ago, PinkPantser said:

So your pal plays tournaments rh and lh? What is the story there 

He was a righty that got the shanks.  4 capper.  Switched his 7-LW to lefty.  Then he said might as well go full left and got down to a 7.  He’s now full righty again.

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

Same round, within 10 seconds of each other (had to be 25 years ago). Had 8 players, two groups.

Guy I'm playing with gets a ball stuck in a pine tree, and while he's hitting it out of the tree, the group in front of us on the parallel fairway we see running down the fairway because a squirrel picked up his ball and took it. 

Edited by larrybud
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Shot my best round ever (including tournament & non-tournament), 10 over 82 from the middle tees at Bethpage State Park's Blue course two days ago. 

I was on the fence about playing golf that day having stayed up  past 2AM watching a movie at home.  

On that day, I also signed up a week in advance to play in a Tennis party at Bethpage Park from 7PM to 11PM to try and add a little bit more cardio activity as golf doesn't really provide enough exercise activity for me despite playing golf as a walker. 

Due to the difficulty in snagging a tee time before 12 noon (Only the Blue and Yellow courses were open as Black, Red and Green were closed during winter), I had to take the chance of playing without a reservation as the Yellow was the designated walk-up course.

I had already set my alarm for 9am but decided to doze off until 10am. I got to Bethpage at 11:30am hoping to play the Yellow, which was the easiest among the 5 courses but fortunately, only the Blue had an earlier tee time of 12:21 pm so I took that. 

Little did I know that I'd be playing a memorable round that day!

Side note: I had already played 1.5 hours of Doubles Cardio Zone tennis two days before and my past experience with the Bethpage Park tennis party was not positive (getting paired with seniors over 70 years old was not a good experience) contributed to my decision to play golf that day. 

Another side note was that for some reason, I was able to remember a golf dream for the first time where I was able to retrieve two pairs of my tees that I had forgotten on the tee box from a past golf league tourney.

I think I took that as a good omen that I would be playing golf a little bit better that day. 

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

I'm also posting another strange happening but this time, it involves my first Hole-in-One last January 2, 2022.

I normally play golf once a week with the blessing of my wife but on that week, I decided to play a second time after playing the day before (Saturday).

She wasn't too happy about my decision and gave me an earful that translated to me as "yada-yada-yada".

Anyway, as fate would have it, the stars aligned that fateful Sunday for me on hole # 17, Par 3, 109 yds. (left - twin Par 3s) for my memorable ace. 

Looking back, I think I may try to tempt fate/roll the dice with the golf gods by asking my wife again on January 2, 2024 for permission to play and maybe she'll give me another earful that may turn out to be the good omen for my second ace. 🤨

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

It had been many many years since holing out anything longer than a chip or pitch.   Then in the summer of '16 I had hole outs from 86, 125, and 155 all within a couple months and all for eagle.  Back to normal now!

I also played with a guy who told me about how he got 2 hole in ones in one round of a high school tournament.  

• Like 1

2021 - on a boys golf trip to the Orlando area. Playing 36 at Hawk's Landing that day. First time I've ever played the course.

First round, hole 6, A par 5. I put my second shot on the green leaving myself about 25 footer for eagle. Drain it. 

Second round, same hole. This time on in 3. About a 35-40 footer for birdie. Drained that too. 

So I'm -3 lifetime on that particular hole. It might be my best scoring average on a single hole, like ever. 

Edited by Roody
  • Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Yesterday my ball was in the rough directly on top of a Truvis ball that was 85% imbedded

we were all trying to figure out a ruling after the round

EvnRoll ER9

This got me thinking.. Our course has a par 5 that had a bad green design (it was too small, and there were very few good pin positions). So a couple years ago, they re-did the green entirely. A temp green was built in front and we played it as a par 4 for about half a season. When the new / original green was re-opened, I played that hole 5 under the first 3 times playing it! I went eagle, eagle, birdie on my first 3 attempts playing the new green haha. This is about 4 or 5 years ago now, and I have not eagled this hole since. Just a strange, dumb luck sort of thing I guess.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

Local county-am last year, shot gun start on back nine, the senior player in our group holed out his approach shot on #17 for eagle, his partner did the same on #1, and then I matched them later on #4. We were just wondering if our 4th would also join the party!

Edited by LegendJeff
  • Like 2

2022 my son and I were playing in same group as singles in a local am tourney and on hole (1) I holed out for eagle from 110 out. Very next hole my 16 yr old son also eagles (par 5) and the two older guys said they had never seen that happen in their whole life. Was a very cool moment for us. 

• Like 3

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

My two boys and I were playing on vacation once in Hilton Head.   Single asked to join us.  Great guy.  

Got to the first par-3.  My oldest put it to 20 feet, I put it to about 15 feet and my youngest to 8 feet. 

We all drained our putts.  He joined us two days later, and we did the same thing again from varied lengths.  

This game!

• Like 2

My career low occurred on my birthday, also the day I finished graduate school.

• Like 4

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

On 12/11/2023 at 9:41 AM, mshills said:

My career low occurred on my birthday, also the day I finished graduate school.

I find golf and life karma are often interrelated 

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 8:59 AM, cardoustie said:

Had a buddy away on a golf trip to Orlando, he made a 2 on the opening par 4 two days in a row, with the same club

i once holed  2 consecutive  wedge shots while out  practising  from around 100 yards both pitched once  before  finding the cup

witnessed by a guy walking his dog he followed me to the  9th  hole  where i promptly  hit one  OOB

Also  my one and only  hole in one was on the 12 Dec  2012   and was my 12th shot of the back nine 

• Like 1

Had a buddies trip to Hilton Head.  We split the 12 guys up into teams of 6 for our final day Ryder Cup style match.  One buddy hits a wild slice into the woods on the last hole and it bounces absolutely dead left and into the fairway.  We go over there to see what he hit because it was so weird, and there is a dead squoon (ringed squirrel, we called them squoons because they look like a mix between a squirrel and a raccoon), and there are at least 10 other sqoons all circling their dead comrade and just all turn around and look at us dead in the face before running off.  It was insanely creepy.

• Like 2
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

On 12/3/2023 at 7:22 AM, cardoustie said:

He was a righty that got the shanks.  4 capper.  Switched his 7-LW to lefty.  Then he said might as well go full left and got down to a 7.  He’s now full righty again.

My youngest son did this in college.  He was playing better than scratch at the time and caught the worst case of shanks that I'd ever seen.  Nothing worked to cure them and they lasted for months.  I was still caddying full time on tour and a swing coach friend of mine suggested swinging left handed for a few days to reset the brain.  Long story short, he was so right hand dominant that it was overwhelming his left hand in the down swing.  Switching to the left side cured his shanks and made him more accurate.  That was 20 years ago and he hasn't played righty since.  

• Like 3

Remembered another one

canadian mid-am final round.  Caddying for my pal after missing the cut myself.  He shot 64 to win fwiw, capping a comeback win from being 10+ shots down with 36 to go.  7 or 8 down iirc heading into last day ….

3rd hole my buddy drives it down middle.  We can’t find it right away but we did … right under a displaced divot that was balanced on top of his ball …  never seen that before or since

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

My weirdest accomplishment is making three consecutive eagles. The first with a long putt on a driveable par four, followed by a routine 12-foot eagle putt on the par five next then a holed bunker shot on the following par five.

I also once holed two full shots in a round. Both with, if memory serves, a six-iron. One on the fifth, the other on the twelfth.

I can also remember doing a bit of a bunker technique demo for a friend who was struggling with sand play, where I holed three admittedly fairly straightforward bunker shots in a row from about 15 yards away.

Edited by mat562

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

14 minutes ago, mat562 said:

My weirdest accomplsihment is making three consecutive eagles. The first with a long putt on a driveable par four, followed by a routine 12-foot eagle putt on the par five next then a holed bunker shot on the following par five.

Back to back to back eagles……excellent!

Have to ask, did that day also become a career low?

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle