SM10

youngwaldo

On 12/22/2023 at 10:05 AM, QuigleyDU said:

Crazy, but I have never played a vokey wedge..

Like anything else. Hit and miss. Two best  lob wedges from  them I’ve  had are a WW v grind and a 300 series copper 59.  Both glorious.  Many others I’ve had were just blah.  

I can say the same about a lot of wedges. Ping being one brand. Always some good. Some bad. You have to get lucky to find the perfect. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Like anything else. Hit and miss. Two best  lob wedges from  them I’ve  had are a WW v grind and a 300 series copper 59.  Both glorious.  Many others I’ve had were just blah.  

I can say the same about a lot of wedges. Ping being one brand. Always some good. Some bad. You have to get lucky to find the perfect. 

Agreed. I remain hopeful for oil can in SM10… and I hope it represents “the one” for each wedge slot in the bag. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ForTourUseOnly said:

Check it out

I would ADORE my wedges to be stamped like that.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

10 hours ago, bunta said:

I'd adore mine blank

IMG_8871.jpeg.7cbd79f2888c991d9b3de395eb210bda.jpeg

Blank and the simple “P, A, S, L” on the toe!!! Could you imagine???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid

Our course has very tight fairways that are firm.  Having the T grind works pretty well off this type of grass for chipping.  Unfortunately, we have fluffy sand traps, so more bounce would be nice.  I have gotten pretty good using it out of the bunkers, but more bounce would make this easier.  My 54 degree has 12 degrees of bounce, so I am starting to use that out of the bunkers more.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I have a question since we have vokey people in here. Is the T-grind that much more demanding than an M-grind ?? 

My ball always seems to want to roll into shallow divots around the green. So i just want something that sits a tad lower when i fan it open.

My biggest worry is having to change my chipping technique. I DONT want to have to change my method just because its a different grind. 

Need some experienced opinions guys...

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

My home course has very tight fairways and areas around the greens. The T grind is perfect for that. I use a 56 M grind as well, so I get more help from the bunkers or the rare wet lie.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

4 hours ago, bunta said:

I have a question since we have vokey people in here. Is the T-grind that much more demanding than an M-grind ?? 

My ball always seems to want to roll into shallow divots around the green. So i just want something that sits a tad lower when i fan it open.

My biggest worry is having to change my chipping technique. I DONT want to have to change my method just because its a different grind. 

It is a nuanced answer because each player is different. I played the M grind since it came out. I bought a T grind hoping for exactly what you mentioned. The T does sit much lower to the surface when opened over the M, but if you are playing in any type of soft sand or wet conditions, it seemed to dig too much for me. I also felt a little apprehensive on full shots from the fairway. I just always felt that it was going to dig too much (whether it did or not). SO - I found a friend with a grinding wheel and started grinding the back of my M grinds to provide some heel relief and allow it to sit closer to the ground when opened. Loved the result.  Then the V grind was released and was the exact same as my hand ground M or a T with more bounce - problem solved. I have since bought a couple more V grinds and have them in my basement waiting until I need them.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid

4 hours ago, bunta said:

The last Titleist demo day I went to the fitter had me do a blind shootout with 4 different grinds in the lob wedge dept. Straight behind a bunker on a tight lie. 

i think we did T, L, M and D

anyways, long story short my first comment (without know what it was) about the T was that it looked more like a traditional shape - straighter leading edge, all over less rounded. 

As someone that has had a few wedge fittings the last few years and gets the same answer every time - M grind, I will say that in the lower bounce options I found the L to be the most organic alternative to the M. In both looks and performance 

Edited by Chopper Dave

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

52 minutes ago, Chopper Dave said:

The last Titleist demo day I went to the fitter had me do a blind shootout with 4 different grinds in the lob wedge dept. Straight behind a bunker on a tight lie. 

i think we did T, L, M and D

anyways, long story short my first comment (without know what it was) about the T was that it looked more like a traditional shape - straighter leading edge, all over less rounded. 

As someone that has had a few wedge fittings the last few years and gets the same answer every time - M grind, I will say that in the lower bounce options I found the L to be the most organic alternative to the M. In both looks and performance 

Come in pretty steep. Trying my first set of vokey. Going with the D grid. I will maybe try a lower bounce M grind for dry summer days.

previously used mizuno wedges those low bounce aggressive grind make me apprehensive on full shots and those 50-70yard 3/4 swings 

5 hours ago, bunta said:

For me i felt an immediate difference. I dont take full swings with any wedge but i veered away from my 50-80% swings on the 60t and mainly use it for anything 30 yards and in. Absolutely love it. I did have to change my strike and really focus on ball first. My spin numbers increased and my hole outs increased as well. I wouldnt recommend it in soggy conditions, its tough, on the flip side i like it out of firm sand much better. 

I try to use my wedges like a different tool than the same tool that goes a different yardage. So i am a little different than the norm i think. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carson33 said:

It is a nuanced answer because each player is different. I played the M grind since it came out. I bought a T grind hoping for exactly what you mentioned. The T does sit much lower to the surface when opened over the M, but if you are playing in any type of soft sand or wet conditions, it seemed to dig too much for me. I also felt a little apprehensive on full shots from the fairway. I just always felt that it was going to dig too much (whether it did or not). SO - I found a friend with a grinding wheel and started grinding the back of my M grinds to provide some heel relief and allow it to sit closer to the ground when opened. Loved the result.  Then the V grind was released and was the exact same as my hand ground M or a T with more bounce - problem solved. I have since bought a couple more V grinds and have them in my basement waiting until I need them.

hmm.. now i dont know what to do lol.

1. Does the V (when opened up) sit lower than the M ? 

2. What about bunker play ??  i run into bunkers that are generally decent but they're NEVER fluffy. Just your usual mediocre bunker condition.

3. Im a little weary about that 10* bounce. I already play a 54*S grind with 10bounce. Just looking for something to counter with lower bounce. Maybe i can get 60* and bend to 58* ?? So that would lower it 8* bounce. Would that effect anything when i open it up with the V-grind??

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

18 minutes ago, bunta said:

hmm.. now i dont know what to do lol.

1. Does the V (when opened up) sit lower than the M ? 

2. What about bunker play ??  i run into bunkers that are generally decent but they're NEVER fluffy. Just your usual mediocre bunker condition.

3. Im a little weary about that 10* bounce. I already play a 54*S grind with 10bounce. Just looking for something to counter with lower bounce. Maybe i can get 60* and bend to 58* ?? So that would lower it 8* bounce. Would that effect anything when i open it up with the V-grind??

Yes, the V sits lower to the ground than the M.

For bunkers, I think it plays the same as the M.

For me, the V is the best of all because it sits low when open, but gives me confidence from the fairway on full shots.

The M is a GREAT all around grind. I played it for 4-5 years but just started playing courses with tight conditions in tournaments and wanted something that would sit lower when chipping around the green. By grinding my M, I could accomplish this, but the V allowed me the same without extra grind. The extra 2* bounce did not affect any short shots, but gave me more forgiveness on full shots…so win-win

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid

21 hours ago, bunta said:

I played a M 60° and switched to the T. I like the M grind a lot but the T I really love no matter if it’s firm or wet, I just tweak my delivery. I keep an M just in case. I played course and on the range my T just interacted weirdly for some reason so I went with it M afterward. I play a T 95% of the time now. I also tried a V and that lasted about 2 weeks. I just seems slower through the turf compared to the T and M and I struggled with distance control pretty badly. Switch right back to the T and M and was spot on. M will give you a little more room for error but to me the T isn’t demanding.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 9:06 AM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

That is crazy, and I'm often surprised by some of the golfers I knwo I hear the same thing from.   I was actually the same way until about 8 years ago, the SM6 I think?    I haven't played another wedge since. 

My first 60 was a used Vokey i bought off an assistant pro at the course I worked at. Have gone through many brands over the years. Played Vokeys in the SM4, SM6, SM8 but also have played Cleveland, Mizzy, Nike and TM over the years. Shape wise Nike, TM & Vokey always have the best shape to my eye. Consistency wise TM & Vokey have always been the best for me. Pndering going back to Vokeys depneding on how the SM10's look from my TM MG3's. Finding the right shaft for my wedges has been the biggest help to my game KBS 610 Wedge in the 125 is great for me. I think alot of people think Titleist, Scotty and Vokey are only for elite players despite them making a ton of options for all levels of players. I am leaning towards moving from TM to Titleist in my woods this coming season. I have been strictly TM since the M1 days. 

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

21 minutes ago, byoshio82 said:

My first 60 was a used Vokey i bought off an assistant pro at the course I worked at. Have gone through many brands over the years. Played Vokeys in the SM4, SM6, SM8 but also have played Cleveland, Mizzy, Nike and TM over the years. Shape wise Nike, TM & Vokey always have the best shape to my eye. Consistency wise TM & Vokey have always been the best for me. Pndering going back to Vokeys depneding on how the SM10's look from my TM MG3's. Finding the right shaft for my wedges has been the biggest help to my game KBS 610 Wedge in the 125 is great for me. I think alot of people think Titleist, Scotty and Vokey are only for elite players despite them making a ton of options for all levels of players. I am leaning towards moving from TM to Titleist in my woods this coming season. I have been strictly TM since the M1 days. 

I switched to all Titleist from all TM. I love the TM woods but Titleist woods just work better for me. Wedge wise it’s a wash for me when it came to MG3/SM9. I got fitted so I decided to just try them out but could go back to MG in a second. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 8:33 AM, bunta said:

Depends on what you think is demanding...

M Grind will have more bounce on it. 60-08 M vs. 60-04 T. When I got fitted by Bob Vokey 5 years ago, he said something that stuck with me. More bounce = more forgiveness. 

I play out of Southern California and my course is very tight bermuda and the T-grind is really good when not wet. 

I just got the A-grind this year from WW and it has been really good. The best of both worlds IMO. Mileage may differ .

1. Titleist TSR4 9º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 6X (A1) (Swing weight: D4)
  2. Titleist TSR2 15º w/ MCA Tensei Blue CK Pro Prototype 80TX (D1 setting) (43" (-4 weight) @ D4.1)
  3. Titliest TSR3 18º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 8X
  4. Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Fujikura Speeder EVO VII 757X
  5. Artisan HC 4-iron (23º) w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI
  6. Artisan MB 5-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (26º)
  7. Artisan MB 6-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI(30º)
  8. Artisan MB 7-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (34º)
  9. Artisan MB 8-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (38º)
  10. Artisan MB 9-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (42º)
  11. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (46.5º)
  12. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (51º)
  13. Artisan DS grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (56º)
  14. WM Tiger replica w/ Fujikura MC X-firm putter shaft & Ping grip (E1 @ 34 3/8")

Words have it that the new fairways are on their way for 2024.  They told me to wait for the new ones.  So excited.   

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

1 hour ago, asroma19 said:

I play out of Southern California and my course is very tight bermuda and the T-grind is really good when not wet. 

I just got the A-grind this year from WW and it has been really good. The best of both worlds IMO. Mileage may differ .

So cal as well and just vibe with T 

A grind is definitely intriguing. I like the idea shaving off the ribbon sole to make it go faster thru the turf. But cringe at paying for a WW at retail. With tax and shipping making it a ~$250 wedge is bonkers considering I picked up a new spare sm9 T grind for $85 lol 

38 minutes ago, youngwaldo said:

Words have it that the new fairways are on their way for 2024.  They told me to wait for the new ones.  So excited.   

Wk

Based on the TSR cycle moving fairways to align with the driver release (previously fairways/hybrids were released the spring following the driver), we can expect a September 2024 release for the next driver/fairway cycle.

40 minutes ago, storm319 said:

Based on the TSR cycle moving fairways to align with the driver release (previously fairways/hybrids were released the spring following the driver), we can expect a September 2024 release for the next driver/fairway cycle.

Hopefully earlier for staff because he wanted me to wait.  

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash