2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

SM10

youngwaldo

1 minute ago, OhYeahPlayer said:

On one hand, I get it and feel (somewhat) the same. But in principle, why wouldn't you want spin rates on a wet shot to be as close to identical compared to a dry shot? Sure, it doesn't seem like a huge deal to overlook (MGS piece shows a 50 yard wet vs dry shot drop about ~500rpms in spin in SM9), but when I'm choosing equipment, I want to try and remove as many variables as I can. 

From a ball spinning thousands of rpms How often is 500 rpm really killing your approach? 

• Like 1

I currently play Jaws Raw, but I have a set of SM8s, they are great, when I compared the Jaws and the SM8, the one thing I could say is different (I am reaching here) is that the SM8s felt just a bit softer (which I like), in terms of performance most shots hit similarly reacted almost identical, the difference for me was dispersion, I was more accurate with the Jaws, that said, later I came back and had the SM8s lie adjusted to one degree flat and they now they are almost identical, I put them in the bag on and off, but always go back to the Jaws when I play tournaments...

• Like 1

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

33 minutes ago, btyh said:

From a ball spinning thousands of rpms How often is 500 rpm really killing your approach? 

It's not really. I agree. But across the board, in all scenarios on the golf course, I want to keep spin as consistent as possible. If I have the option to have a degree of variability, or keep things consistent in wet conditions (which I can, with options like Ping's wedges): what I'm saying is I want to choose the option without the variability. 

Ping G425 Max, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 33.5"

Z-Star Diamond 

1 hour ago, OhYeahPlayer said:

It's not really. I agree. But across the board, in all scenarios on the golf course, I want to keep spin as consistent as possible. If I have the option to have a degree of variability, or keep things consistent in wet conditions (which I can, with options like Ping's wedges): what I'm saying is I want to choose the option without the variability. 

I’m all for consistency, but the ball doesn’t react consistently on landing in wet conditions compared to dry conditions, so you have to adjust anyway for the conditions, as you do on every shot. Convincing yourself the spin will be the same due to the wedge coating is the mistake here in my opinion, it won’t be unless playing off a mat, hitting into a screen and soaking the wedge or ball in advance like they do on the youtube channels. In reality if it’s wet, the ground gives more, you get more wet grass between the ball and face and when the ball lands on the wet green it skids more but lands softer. In these circumstances, trying to play a normal spinning shot because you think there is less variables is a major error. You have to adapt the shot you play for the conditions, not hope a club takes out the variables for you. 

• Like 4

Tsr2 Kai-li white 60g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsr2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200/T150/T100 PX Lz

sm9 54.10S/60.4T

odyssey Toulon Daytona
Pro V1

1 hour ago, CallawayLefty said:

Has anyone seen available specs yet?  Mostly wondering if there will be a 54 M grind.  I think they maybe have had it some years but not others. 

Highly doubt it, they removed that to put the 54 D in a couple years ago, likely still be a WW exclusive 

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100 HY TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey Design SM10 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.5T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold TI

Scotty Cameron Timeless 2.5 SSS Tourtype Prototype

2 hours ago, CallawayLefty said:

Has anyone seen available specs yet?  Mostly wondering if there will be a 54 M grind.  I think they maybe have had it some years but not others. 

I'm not sure, but I think I saw that one, but not 100%

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Same cake different frosting. Looks exactly like the SM9 and others before that. Vokeys have been stagnant, design wise, for generations. If you look at the face alone, one will have a hard time to tell them apart. 

Same 8620 carbon steel, and no new materials like S20C. Cast and not forged (at least not in the US). 

Gave up on Vokey wedges long time ago, and use only Japanese wedges, which are far superior quality and craftsmanship.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2024 at 8:04 PM, Cirta69 said:

Same cake different frosting. Looks exactly like the SM9 and others before that. Vokeys have been stagnant, design wise, for generations. If you look at the face alone, one will have a hard time to tell them apart. 

Same 8620 carbon steel, and no new materials like S20C. Cast and not forged (at least not in the US). 

Gave up on Vokey wedges long time ago, and use only Japanese wedges, which are far superior quality and craftsmanship.

Interesting.  I debated someone the other day about the look of the Vokey faces.  His position was like yours, that you cannot tell a difference.  My opinion is you can.  I think the SM5/7/9 resemble one another with less rounded lines.  The SM4/6/8 more round lines.  Totally different to my eye, however subtle.

• Like 1

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° AMT Black S300 | SM9 56° 60° S300 | Toulon Garage Memphis

On 1/2/2024 at 1:17 PM, Copacetic said:

I’m all for consistency, but the ball doesn’t react consistently on landing in wet conditions compared to dry conditions, so you have to adjust anyway for the conditions, as you do on every shot. Convincing yourself the spin will be the same due to the wedge coating is the mistake here in my opinion, it won’t be unless playing off a mat, hitting into a screen and soaking the wedge or ball in advance like they do on the youtube channels. In reality if it’s wet, the ground gives more, you get more wet grass between the ball and face and when the ball lands on the wet green it skids more but lands softer. In these circumstances, trying to play a normal spinning shot because you think there is less variables is a major error. You have to adapt the shot you play for the conditions, not hope a club takes out the variables for you. 

Not to mention striking it just one groove high or low on the face would change the spin more than any coating on the club could 

Between “us”, lol. 

All of the OEM wedges are great. What separates them is the variety of fitting options.  This is where Vokey tends to excel. 

I bet there’s “Moving mass” and “More consistent “ talk.  

I would also bet there’s more grind options a loft that weren’t available before. 

Vokey is the most popular wedge out there (it’s a lot closer now—->credit the other manufacturers for applying pressure), but don’t change the “sauce” if it doesn’t change the meal.  

• Like 1

Anyone have an idea on SM10 embargo date, and SM9 ordering overlap? Asking in the context of wanting to get fit and custom order SM9s. Not sure if that's flipping a switch when SM10 launches or if there will be some overlap. 

Ping G425 Max, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 33.5"

Z-Star Diamond 

12 minutes ago, OhYeahPlayer said:

Anyone have an idea on SM10 embargo date, and SM9 ordering overlap? Asking in the context of wanting to get fit and custom order SM9s. Not sure if that's flipping a switch when SM10 launches or if there will be some overlap. 

Going by their history of vokey releases it has been January for tour validation then usually a March/April spring public release. 

You can always get fit then wait to order the SM10 when it gets released if your fitting is prior to that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ivyguy said:

Between “us”, lol. 

All of the OEM wedges are great. What separates them is the variety of fitting options.  This is where Vokey tends to excel. 

I bet there’s “Moving mass” and “More consistent “ talk.  

I would also bet there’s more grind options a loft that weren’t available before. 

Vokey is the most popular wedge out there (it’s a lot closer now—->credit the other manufacturers for applying pressure), but don’t change the “sauce” if it doesn’t change the meal.  

Someone who ate spam all his life, would never imagine what a wagu steak will taste like.

McDonalds yearly sales are over $25Billion, still doesn't make it great food.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OhYeahPlayer said:

It will be sometime around March for either pre-sale or in retail shops of the SM10.  If you get fit and want to order SM9, chances are if you wait too long, you'll only be able to order whatever is left in stock (and probably not custom at all).  I presume you want the cost savings by ordering SM9 vs. SM10, but as far as performance; an SM9 56.08M vs. a SM10 56.08M is most likely going to be apples to apples.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:29 AM, mtnbiker5 said:

From an aesthetic standpoint they look ok but personally I like the look of the Mizuno T24’s better.  Have to test to see.   I get it all the bounce options Vokey offers which can be nice but its too a point where not sure how much is too much.  What we play and what the pro’s play are two totally different scenarios.  I’ve accepted the fact I will never be Justin Thomas.  🙂.   I’m also curious if these are a complete forged head or just cast again.

I tried the T22s as I really liked that copper look.  Quickly went back the Vokeys.  I am sure more mental that anything.  I have tried MGs as well but I end up back with these.  

1 hour ago, Cirta69 said:

Someone who ate spam all his life, would never imagine what a wagu steak will taste like.

McDonalds yearly sales are over $25Billion, still doesn't make it great food.  

Just reading your post above, what do you think makes it poor?  Because it uses 8620 and is cast?  As a Mizuno mp iron player (at the moment) which are noted for feel, my Vokeys are my favorite clubs in the bag.  I think they feel and sound great.  I'm not sure how much more advancement is required.  Grinds, flighting, shape, and feel are personal preference.  I wouldn't want consistency across the entire face.  Wedges are meant for a lot of different shots, like sometimes you may want to toe one that comes off a little dead.  I always viewed forged as superior to cast because of the marketing around it, but I don't believe that anymore.

Edited by dminn23
  • Like 1

The only complaint I’ve had with Vokey wedges over the years is a decent stock shaft (I change them anyways) like some other companies. It would be nice to maybe see the tour issue s400 or even KBS shafts as the stock shaft. I toyed with Mizuno wedges for a bit and having the S400 as the stock shaft was a nice feature. Besides this point I really don’t see what they can change with their wedges and I’m happy they never added a gimmicky face like other brands. 

[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]917 D2 10.5 Matrix Rul 60X[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]915F 15* Matrix RUL 70X[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Tour Edge [/color][color=#ff0000]CB Pro Tungsten 2 iron with Speeder Pro[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]4-PW[/color] [color=#ff0000]716 AP2 AMT X100[/color][/b]
[b]Titleist [color=#ff0000]SM6 54 & 58 TI S400[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron [/color][color=#ff0000]Futura 5MB[/color][/b]

On 12/29/2023 at 6:19 PM, Villn said:

For anyone wanting raw vokeys for the same price a retail off the rack wedges buy the flat black (also raw) and soak then in white vinegar for a couple days..

Boom, you're welcome. 

Carls golfland is selling raw SM9’s for $150, just picked up a set today. 

Ping G430 Max

Taylormade Stealth2 4 Wood

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood

Irons TBD

Raw Vokey SM9's 

Spider X Proto