Bryson’s new Avoda irons

2 hours ago, pdxhak said:

I wonder if they plan to market blades or just made a custom one off set for Bryson? I'm surprised they do not mention him on their website or Instagram. 

They have a set coming that is going to be similar to what Bryson is using according to Avoda. Not exactly sure what Bryson has going on with his set but they said his was a one off prototype, but they have a hollow body construction iron similar to that coming soon. 

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

On 2/4/2024 at 2:44 AM, jadedennill said:

Can you give an example of “Bryson’s ego”? It’s been mentioned a few times, but I’m curious what exactly you’re referring to. I’ve never heard him say anything anymore egotistical than anyone else out there. Give a few examples for the rest of us who maybe don’t know him intimately like you do. 👍

On 2/4/2024 at 8:18 AM, Liveonce said:

i don’t get it. I watch his YouTube videos, he comes off as very down to earth and friendly. 

I think it mostly comes from a few years ago when he said he was going to play Augusta like a Par 67. 

Many people took it as egotistical, although he probably didn't intend it that way and it was just a vocalization of his game plan in terms of how he mapped his way around the course.

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

People would appreciate his club hoeing ways much more if he weren’t douchey about pimping things. After the Cobra split he made it seem like he “suddenly” found the clubs he’s always needed. Shot the 58 and it was because he finally found equipment that “worked.” Only to not be in top 20 next round, out of 48. I’m sure he’ll have some eloquent story that includes physics, and organic chemistry as to why a 3° bounce in these help his spin increase by 2 rotations which hits a landing angle that creates a 1/4” divot which results in maximum bounce towards the hole. Or something even more stupid than that… dudes an antic and attention chaser unlike no other. Bryson “Ashley Perez” deschambeau 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

12 hours ago, WristySwing said:

My thought is he definitely has a partnership here of some sort.  A new iron company nobody has heard of that has LA Golf graphite shafts and JumboMax grips as their stock offerings?  If what he says is true, that he has countless people DM'ing him on Instagram or stopping him at tournaments saying One Length changed their game for the better, I suspect the company will do okay.  It's never going to eclipse the sales of TM, Callaway, Titleist, and so on, but they may take the market share aware from Cobra's OL sets, and that could be enough for Cobra to feel a bit of heat.

Someone in the Kirkland Iron thread IIRC posted the general costs to have a head designed and made by some of the Chinese club producers. Even with those margins they're going to have to sell a lot of clubs for it to make anyone more than they'd get for being a known with a big OEM. 

Maybe he does just like the product, though, and wants a little extra cash as a bonus. I don't pay enough attention to him to know what his LIV deal was, but I'm guessing even another $5M or so at this point would just be icing, so he can genuinely play & partner with whoever interests him any given year. 

Sorry, but this is a weird thing to be marketing to me. There's only an inch difference from a 9-iron to a lob wedge. This isn't some sort of engineering feat. I personally play 35.5 in all my wedges, so I have an inch length difference from 8-iron through lob.

Seems weird to stake a big deal on this unless BdC has a financial interest.

• Like 2

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

To be honest I’d forgotten he existed until I saw this thread. That’s how little coverage LIV and its players have in the UK. Didn’t even know there was a tournament last week until I just looked.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 2/2/2024 at 4:19 PM, Grape said:

I think you’re spot on. He seems to have embraced the business side of the game and likely invested in the company. We’ll see how much it impacts his game. He had such a solid year last year. 

He also has a stake in LA golf and these new clubs have LA Golf shafts as their upgrade. I think they look great and if I hadn’t just gone through my personal build with the Edel SMS Pro irons, I would have bought them. Heck, who knows, I have to sell a few sets of clubs, so maybe I still will buy a set. About $3k for 4-LW. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

Someone in the Kirkland Iron thread IIRC posted the general costs to have a head designed and made by some of the Chinese club producers. Even with those margins they're going to have to sell a lot of clubs for it to make anyone more than they'd get for being a known with a big OEM. 

Maybe he does just like the product, though, and wants a little extra cash as a bonus. I don't pay enough attention to him to know what his LIV deal was, but I'm guessing even another $5M or so at this point would just be icing, so he can genuinely play & partner with whoever interests him any given year. 

I am not sure what his deal was either, but it's likely between Rahm's $500M deal and Hatton's $50M deal.  He hasn't said outright, but he claims to be worth >$125M.  That doesn't include any winnings from LIV, his team money, or sponsorship money he still gets.  Although, I am sure his cash cow, Cobra/Puma was his largest endorsement but that died last year IIRC when he was mouthing off about how he can't believe Cobra can't make a driver that is actually good.  While the Cobra designers were complaining he wanted the impossible, he wanted a driver that had 2300-2500 spin and 11-14* launch no matter where he hit it on the face.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

23 hours ago, pdxhak said:

I wonder if they plan to market blades or just made a custom one off set for Bryson? I'm surprised they do not mention him on their website or Instagram. 

They probably will use it when he’s on the top of the leaderboard this week. Krank appeared to jump significantly because of Bryson. He’s getting quite the large Youtube following also. 

11 hours ago, WristySwing said:

I am not sure what his deal was either, but it's likely between Rahm's $500M deal and Hatton's $50M deal.  He hasn't said outright, but he claims to be worth >$125M.  That doesn't include any winnings from LIV, his team money, or sponsorship money he still gets.  Although, I am sure his cash cow, Cobra/Puma was his largest endorsement but that died last year IIRC when he was mouthing off about how he can't believe Cobra can't make a driver that is actually good.  While the Cobra designers were complaining he wanted the impossible, he wanted a driver that had 2300-2500 spin and 11-14* launch no matter where he hit it on the face.

In fairness, Cobra had a contract extension they sent to LIV. So, it wasn’t their decision to cancel and there’s no doubt the Krank driver isn’t as hot off the face, but it is much straighter on mishits. 

On 2/2/2024 at 11:28 AM, QuigleyDU said:

Interesting move.. Bryson is such a knuckle head.. But it is kinda fun.. 

Did you hear the rumor on who he might have "on the bag" this week? 😆

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

13 hours ago, TwistedSister said:

On 2/2/2024 at 1:43 PM,  RCGA said:

I don't know what's more absurd: A 17* iron at 37" or hitting flop shots with your 37" 60* 

Most of the guys that make that sort of comment just don’t know what they don’t know. The first year I played single length irons I did choke up on wedges. But after time on the range I realized how much easier it was to just maintain the exact same posture and setup through the set…now, I only choke up on specific shots (ball above feet, etc). The advantage of the longer lever with the lofted clubs is awesome. More speed with less effort. Easier to hit out of thick rough or to hit the higher shots easily. Since I am a low-ball hitter, I really enjoy the versatility on the short iron side of the house. 

Interesting thing, for both of my kids that played golf in high school, we did an experiment. They had always played variable length clubs. We did a proximity test over the course of a month and it wasn’t close. In both cases after the first week of testing, they consistently hit the longer SW closer to target than the shorter SW. We were at one tournament my daughter won and she told me “it feels like cheating because I just do the exact same thing with every club.” 

Edited by Drrussell
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Drrussell said:

Most of the guys that make that sort of comment just don’t know what they don’t know. The first year I played single length irons I did choke up on wedges. But after time on the range I realized how much easier it was to just maintain the exact same posture and setup through the set…now, I only choke up on specialty shots. The advantage of the longer lever with the lofted clubs is awesome. More speed with less effort. Easier to hit out of thick rough or to hit the higher shots easily. Since I am a low-ball hitter, I really enjoy the versatility on the short iron side of the house. 

Interesting thing, for both of my kids that played golf in high school, we did an experiment. They had always played variable length clubs. We did a proximity test over the course of a month and it wasn’t close. In both cases after the first week of testing, they consistently hit the longer SW closer to target than the shorter SW. We were at one tournament my daughter won and she told me “it feels like cheating because I just do the exact same thing with every club.” 

And a flop shot is not a "specialty"shot?

3 hours ago, ignitewvu said:

Did you hear the rumor on who he might have "on the bag" this week? 😆

No? Is it Paige?

• Haha 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

No? Is it Paige?

Of course

• Haha 1

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

1 hour ago, ignitewvu said:

Of course

Also not my fav.. lol.. but good for him and her I guess.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

4 hours ago, TwistedSister said:

And a flop shot is not a "specialty"shot?

Depends on lie. Depends on desired height and carry distance. For a stock flop shot, I would not choke up because the additional speed makes hitting that shot easier. However, I will probably hit fewer than 10 real flop shots in the entire year if I am playing money games or tournaments. 

Generally speaking, the only time I would choke up on a single length wedge is if the ball is above my feet, or maybe if I am wanting to take speed off of club because I am between yardages. Truthfully, short game is by miles the strongest part of my game so if I am doing something different it’s not something I have to think about. 

1 hour ago, Drrussell said:

Depends on lie. Depends on desired height and carry distance. For a stock flop shot, I would not choke up because the additional speed makes hitting that shot easier. However, I will probably hit fewer than 10 real flop shots in the entire year if I am playing money games or tournaments. 

Generally speaking, the only time I would choke up on a single length wedge is if the ball is above my feet, or maybe if I am wanting to take speed off of club because I am between yardages. Truthfully, short game is by miles the strongest part of my game so if I am doing something different it’s not something I have to think about. 

So because you are taking a full swing it is not a "specialty " shot?  You be playin' a different game than I.

On 2/5/2024 at 5:10 PM, artica said:

People would appreciate his club hoeing ways much more if he weren’t douchey about pimping things. After the Cobra split he made it seem like he “suddenly” found the clubs he’s always needed. Shot the 58 and it was because he finally found equipment that “worked.” Only to not be in top 20 next round, out of 48. I’m sure he’ll have some eloquent story that includes physics, and organic chemistry as to why a 3° bounce in these help his spin increase by 2 rotations which hits a landing angle that creates a 1/4” divot which results in maximum bounce towards the hole. Or something even more stupid than that… dudes an antic and attention chaser unlike no other. Bryson “Ashley Perez” deschambeau 

Maybe you’re not a golfer because I hear golfers at my club CONSTANTLY saying “I’ve found the key”, “I figured it out”, “this new driver changed everything”….

bryson is a dude. Just like all of us. I guarantee everyone on this forum has “found the secret” about 100 times in their golfing careers. s*** my 84 year old grandpa has a stealth 2, auto flex shaft, ping g430, g425 and sim2 and has told me each one was the difference maker in his game…. Until it wasn’t. 

• Confused 1

To get back the the topic of the actual golf clubs, these make a lot of sense to me. The combo set. I am not a fan of Instagram golf but I feel like the way the clubs are built could help me? I have concerns with single length and the combo set seems to be the best of both worlds. I also like the loft progression they are proposing. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DoubleEagle08 said:

To get back the the topic of the actual golf clubs, these make a lot of sense to me. The combo set. I am not a fan of Instagram golf but I feel like the way the clubs are built could help me? I have concerns with single length and the combo set seems to be the best of both worlds. I also like the loft progression they are proposing. 

For sure. Single length scoring irons and a slightly longer length long irons is not a bad idea. It really depends on your club speed more than anything. Normal people with limited speed have limits to usable loft. Once you have optimized carry distance you reach a point where less loft will mean less carry distance. That is the point where you have to gain speed through longer club, or you have to change tech (utility iron, hybrid, fwy wood, etc). Depending on where the numbers are, you could need both length and tech.

i am definitely intrigued by these irons. I suspect by end of year, I will end up with a set.

Edited by Drrussell

My previous set of irons were built in a similar fashion. I had the 4i and 5i same length, 6i,7i,8i same length and then 9i and wedges same length. Loved the setup and would still be playing them if they were more forgiving on thin and toe shots.

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

9 hours ago, pdxhak said:

My previous set of irons were built in a similar fashion. I had the 4i and 5i same length, 6i,7i,8i same length and then 9i and wedges same length. Loved the setup and would still be playing them if they were more forgiving on thin and toe shots.

I reached out to Avoda and here is what they wrote, 

The set Bryson has been spotted with is a one-of-a-kind prototype we built for his testing. We are still in the early development phase with him, and it's unlikely that his series will be ready for release this year. 

Our limited release this spring is a solid-body set made of 1020 carbon steel forgings. The set also offers the ability to swap in hollow-body utility irons for the lower lofts, helping to maintain ball speed and ensure consistent distance gapping.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/5/2024 at 5:10 PM, artica said:

I mean, ignoring the frothy haterade for a second....don't you think if an "equipment breakthrough" were going to happen for anyone that it would for the guys like Bryson? I mean think about it....the dude has obsessively tinkered WAY outside the realm of stock golf equipment for years now trying to perfect his setup, and his specs are so wild that he of all people could believably be impacted noticeably by the "right" equipment over anyone else. And he doesn't have an incentive to sell the public on his setup anymore now that he's a free agent. There is nothing in his current bag to "pimp" other than the LA shafts I guess. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

36 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

I mean, ignoring the frothy haterade for a second....don't you think if an "equipment breakthrough" were going to happen for anyone that it would for the guys like Bryson? I mean think about it....the dude has obsessively tinkered WAY outside the realm of stock golf equipment for years now trying to perfect his setup, and his specs are so wild that he of all people could believably be impacted noticeably by the "right" equipment over anyone else. And he doesn't have an incentive to sell the public on his setup anymore now that he's a free agent. There is nothing in his current bag to "pimp" other than the LA shafts I guess. 

Yes, most likely it would be a guy like Bryson. Hey, did Cobra ever figure out that driver head he wanted that maintained the same distance as a sweet spot strike regardless of where on the face ya struck the ball?! That’s the next driver I’m gonna buy! 😊

😂