2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Bryson’s new Avoda irons

3 hours ago, Nicknomates said:

I presume the face is convex to give the gear effect for off centre strikes.

Heard someone say they are 3d printed?

(Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if already mentioned)

I heard 3D printed as well. Coverage at some point of the Masters it was mentioned how he "wanted a bolt" in the iron and they couldn't pull it off with a two piece forging, so they had to 3D print it? It seemed like an off hand comment and I haven't heard more since, but sounds pretty interesting.

3 hours ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

I don't believe you are correct on this one. There is no chance this guy changed for any reason other than he believes there is a performance advantage for him. He designed these irons according to the articles and he has hundreds of millions of dollars already with more raking in daily from Golf, youtube, sponsors, etc. 

I think many of you guys are delusional about there being such a big quality difference in Ping vs DTC. Many years of marketing/brain washing is causing you to believe that big companies can make things better just because they pay tour players and have commercials.  The reality is, those big companies have their clubs made for them in China and the quality control is crap. There is no reason for you to pay retail prices for clubs anymore unless you are buying Japan forged irons or something of higher quality.

You're taking a 2 month old comment out of context here so step off your soap box while I step up on mine for a second.

There is still very little known about Avoda, their website is a basic Shopify page and their Instagram is bare and lacking information on who they are and what they do. The article opens it up a bit but basically it's Bryson's inner circle and it seems like they're a company that lets Byrson do what he wants in club design. Bryson is the type of guy who wants what he wants in clubs and most OEM's bent to his wishes a bit see Ping for his custom i230's but how Bryson ticks he wants more.

As for quality how is a set of irons starting at $1700 for only 1 steel shaft option going up to $2800 for LAGP shafts that Bryson has money invested in any better than a set of Ping's for example with way more shafts for less? Most of these DTC brands are just picking white label heads from China and slapping their logo on it and a lot of them have zero quality control as well. They don't check, they don't weight sort, they post them for sale and ship them out.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

You're taking a 2 month old comment out of context here so step off your soap box while I step up on mine for a second.

There is still very little known about Avoda, their website is a basic Shopify page and their Instagram is bare and lacking information on who they are and what they do. The article opens it up a bit but basically it's Bryson's inner circle and it seems like they're a company that lets Byrson do what he wants in club design. Bryson is the type of guy who wants what he wants in clubs and most OEM's bent to his wishes a bit see Ping for his custom i230's but how Bryson ticks he wants more.

As for quality how is a set of irons starting at $1700 for only 1 steel shaft option going up to $2800 for LAGP shafts that Bryson has money invested in any better than a set of Ping's for example with way more shafts for less? Most of these DTC brands are just picking white label heads from China and slapping their logo on it and a lot of them have zero quality control as well. They don't check, they don't weight sort, they post them for sale and ship them out.

Just a question, I know that New Level golf and the Golfworks (Maltby) do some sort of weight sorting don't they?  I mean if you were to buy just iron heads from either of these companies, they come in plastic wrap with the weight of each head stickered on them.  Isn't this a type of weight sorting?  It doesn't seem that they just receive directly from the factory and post them for sale out the door.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro 1050GH S
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

14 minutes ago, pjc said:

Just a question, I know that New Level golf and the Golfworks (Maltby) do some sort of weight sorting don't they?  I mean if you were to buy just iron heads from either of these companies, they come in plastic wrap with the weight of each head stickered on them.  Isn't this a type of weight sorting?  It doesn't seem that they just receive directly from the factory and post them for sale out the door.

Some do and some don't, it's getting nitpicky at this point. I can complain at how many don't make lefty clubs.

I said before these guys are paying Bryson when now it seems it's a pet project to get the clubs he wants for his game. 

I doubt they'll have regular irons, I doubt they'll have lefties. They'll sell their SL and combo length sets for as much or more than OEMs. If they're great then great for that segment of players. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Lol they're going to ban these irons if BAD goes on to win this week 🤣 

• Confused 1

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

9 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I don't care about Avoda in particular. There may be really crappy DTC brands that do what you claim, but my experience is very different.  PXG, Sub 70, Snell, etc are all top notch

The big boys are the ones with unbelievably bad QC.  TM and Callaway being the worst, but they all have problems in this area

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

Can't remember if it was on Bryson's tik tok or not but there is a video going around that explained how they were made and why they 3d printed them the way they did for maximum forgiveness and range. I just saw it either this morning or late last night. 

Havnt read the thread but they were just approved by the PGA on Monday. He's been using them for a year or so developing them. 

2 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

The irons on their site (that are releasing in May) don’t look like the same irons Bryson is playing?

https://avodagolf.com/collections/combo-length-irons

They aren’t.  His are one off 3d printed with a bolt (or two) in the head to provide bulge and roll.  Evidently they cost $10k to produce.  Source for this  news was the masters broadcast yesterday.

Edited by Pnwpingi210

4 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

They aren’t.  His are one off 3d printed with a bolt (or two) in the head to provide bulge and roll.  Evidently they cost $10k to produce.  Source for this  news was the masters broadcast yesterday.

It will be interesting to see if they find a way to produce those at reasonable cost for the masses.  Interesting concept that would be fun to test. 

Bryson is going to be a billionaire by the time he's an old man - add club-designer to his repertoire 

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

3 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

Bryson is going to be a billionaire by the time he's an old man - add club-designer to his repertoire 

He’s pretty prolific at creating and guest starring in YouTube golf content.  I swear I saw a clip of him playing on course with some other your tube golfer and they asked something to the effect “are these your new irons?  What’s the difference?”  His response was muffled by the chewing on a protein bar but I believe I heard him say “ nothing other than I make more money off them”

this would have been a month or so ago

Edited by Pnwpingi210
  • Haha 2

On 4/13/2024 at 8:29 AM, pjc said:

I know for a fact that New Level weight sorts their heads as part of the build process to achieve swing weighting consistency throughout the set. They're big on tour-level build quality and leave no aspect of the build to happenstance. New Level irons also feel as good as any OEM forged head I've ever hit (speaking from my personal experience as someone who recently got into a set of NL 480-TC irons).

I also know for a fact that Takomo manufactures AND assembles their clubs in China. Whether the Takomo build process is as in-depth is up for debate, but the QC complaints I've seen here and elsewhere online with that particular DTC, leads me to believe it's not particularly precise.

• PING G430 Max 10K 9* Tour 2.0 black 65X 
  • PING G430 Max 3w Tensei Raw Orange 75X
  • PING G410 19* Tour chrome 85X
  • NEW LEVEL 480-TC 4-PW X100 TI
  • NEW LEVEL SPN-SS 50*/54* X100 TI
  • NEW LEVEL SPN-VS 60* X100 TI
  • PING PLD Anser (Carbon Patina) PLD Graphite shaft
  • Bridgestone BX

On 2/2/2024 at 2:42 PM, MattM97 said:

Well no 💩 that isn't the reason.

Definitely going to be $$$ related I bet, why go from an engineering company that made a 1 off set of irons for you to a DTC brand who probably outsources their heads. Who at the same time probably cannot manufacture heads on demand which I'm sure Byrson requests often unless this DTC brand has a CNC shop at their fingertips. 

I think he did it because of the slight bulge in the face that the 3D printing allowed him to have in his irons, similar to a more forgiving face of a wood.

I can't believe that was approved but there is no beating Scottie right now.

• Like 1

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 3 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

On 4/14/2024 at 8:01 AM, Joe85 said:

I remember watching a video WITB w/him when he was playing PING irons. Him saying the notch in the hosel was designed into the head in order for the club to get through the rough easier makes me highly question his “club-designer” aptitude. Just sayin’.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2024 at 10:45 AM, Pnwpingi210 said:

How does adding a bolt to the head create bulge?  I saw a screw in the toe of the irons like lots of other companies are doing and figure that is just to add weight or any type of filling to the inside of the cavity.

1 minute ago, 03trdblack said:

How does adding a bolt to the head create bulge?  I saw a screw in the toe of the irons like lots of other companies are doing and figure that is just to add weight or any type of filling to the inside of the cavity.

I don’t know.  Have not seen an up close picture.  Was just sharing what they said on the broadcast.  I think I saw it in a few articles posted in this thread as well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

I'm not convinced the "bolts" aren't just tungsten rods/screws/weights. However, if there is adjustability to the bulge/roll of the face using the head bolt, I would imagine it works similarly to a truss rod in a guitar's neck. I have no idea if this is even possible, from an engineering standpoint. I'm assuming the club faces would need to be 3mm or less and very malleable, while also being extremely prone to cracking. But that's all just me speculating on a hypothetical design element on clubs we know very little about.

Beginners Guide to Adjusting your Truss Rod

• Like 2
  • Bridgestone BX

On 4/14/2024 at 10:45 AM, Pnwpingi210 said:

Source - hearing about it every 45 seconds on the weekend broadcast LOL.

• Haha 1

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

29 minutes ago, FireRockAndy said:

I'm not convinced the "bolts" aren't just tungsten rods/screws/weights. However, if there is adjustability to the bulge/roll of the face using the head bolt, I would imagine it works similarly to a truss rod in a guitar's neck. I have no idea if this is even possible, from an engineering standpoint. I'm assuming the club faces would need to be 3mm or less and very malleable, while also being extremely prone to cracking. But that's all just me speculating on a hypothetical design element on clubs we know very little about.

Beginners Guide to Adjusting your Truss Rod

I’m about as much of an engineer as Bryson but come on now ppl. The “bolts” have nothing to do with the bulge and the “bulge/roll” is not adjustable. They are heads that are “printed”/manufactured with a set amount of permanent “bulge/roll” just like driver heads. 

My source is ‘common sense’ and I’d bet that I’m right! 😊

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I’m about as much of an engineer as Bryson but come on now ppl. The “bolts” have nothing to do with the bulge and the “bulge/roll” is not adjustable. They are heads that are “printed”/manufactured with a set amount of permanent “bulge/roll” just like driver heads. 

This is my general feeling as well. I suspect "bolt" is an ESL translation or some other way of saying "tungsten rod" or "tungsten screw weight". Again, speculating, but common sense says every other hollow iron has giant pieces of a tungsten inside the cavity to add weight and shift CG because of all the missing mass. Occam's razor and all that.

• Like 1
  • Bridgestone BX

3 hours ago, TiScape said:

The bolts are adjustable, but only if you have the unbridled manliness of BDC. No other human living has the strength to torque them in our out. Perhaps Samson with his hair in full splendor could have managed it, but we shall never know.

• Haha 4

Sounds like Avoda may release the Bryson prototype irons after they fine tune and finishing the testing process with Bryson.  I connected with a guy from Avoda today and that is what he told me.  They had thousands of inquiries about these irons over the weekend and are trying to respond to everyone.  They hope to have more information in the next 3-4 months and to keep checking their website for updates. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:18 AM, Wardonation said:

Love that old Scratch logo...

I wonder how much he lost taking bathroom wallpaper stock as payment.  I still have two scratch wedges collecting dust.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX