2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Bryson’s new Avoda irons

4 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I wonder how much he lost taking bathroom wallpaper stock as payment.  I still have two scratch wedges collecting dust.

yep me too. Those guys were young back then and were wild to say the least. Patrick has done well and now Ari works for him. I lived in Eugene at the time and the wedge fitting Ihad with them was still the best to this day.Eugene, OR is with Sam there (LAB Golf) has had a couple great hardgoods companies in it's backyard. 

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X  44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

1 minute ago, Wardonation said:

yep me too. Those guys were young back then and were wild to say the least. Patrick has done well and now Ari works for him. I lived in Eugene at the time and the wedge fitting Ihad with them was still the best to this day.Eugene, OR is with Sam there (LAB Golf) has had a couple great hardgoods companies in it's backyard. 

Yes...  I am acquainted with Patrick and his new venture.  Didn't know Ari was working there.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Can’t wait to see all the Bryson fanboys playing these at the local muni shooting 93…. 

• Like 1

Nike Vr Tour 9.5. GD AD-DI 6S
Nike Dymo 15. BB 63S. Nike SQ2 19.UST V2
Nike Vr Forged SC 5-P. KBS Tour
Nike Vr Pro 50, 54. DG S400
Scratch Forged 58 GR8 grind. KBS Tour
Nike Method MCi3. Iomic White Midsize

• 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

No doubt about it.  Strike while the iron is hot!

Cobra couldn't make a go of one lengths even at the height of Bryson's PGAT popularity selling sets for $600-700. I played them for a season and there was simply no market for resale - even here. I cant imagine how popular they could be selling sets for 3x that much - or even 10-20x that much if they released his "special edition" irons.

I still think one length companies should figure out a demo program. Send people a 5-7-9 iron to use for a few weeks for...whatever price. Before you spend $2k on a set of these irons, people would probably spend $50-75 to know for sure its something they are interested in. 

• Like 3

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

6 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Cobra couldn't make a go of one lengths even at the height of Bryson's PGAT popularity selling sets for $600-700. I played them for a season and there was simply no market for resale - even here. I cant imagine how popular they could be selling sets for 3x that much - or even 10-20x that much if they released his "special edition" irons.

I still think one length companies should figure out a demo program. Send people a 5-7-9 iron to use for a few weeks for...whatever price. Before you spend $2k on a set of these irons, people would probably spend $50-75 to know for sure its something they are interested in. 

Yep I totally agree.  The concept is so cool and I really liked it, but man I hated it in practice.  Couldn't do anything but I also see some benefit for like a variable fixed length, were all the long irons are the same length, then middle irons, then the wedges, for example.  

• Like 1
Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

He played these irons at the masters correct?  This isn’t news.

he shot is 58 or 59 with pings and won a major and some tour events with cobras and his stuff never really took off.  

Don’t tell anyone. But it’s typically the player, not the clubs… Shhhhh 

Jokes aside, ur absolutely correct. Outside of the very small % of golfers that are equipment nerds, no needless really gettin’ moved. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2024 at 3:42 AM, dcmidnight said:

Sub 70 has a demo program for their SL irons, they send out a 6 and 9. Its a start, hopefully other companies will do it too.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 11:54 AM, J_Tizzle said:

Yep I totally agree.  The concept is so cool and I really liked it, but man I hated it in practice.  Couldn't do anything but I also see some benefit for like a variable fixed length, were all the long irons are the same length, then middle irons, then the wedges, for example.  

Cobra sold out everytime they released the single length irons ... i play a similar length set and it make iron play a lot easier. My wedge are 36 inches and my longest iron is 37.75". 1.75" range. Most iron sets are 38 inches to 35 inches. 3 inches of range. 

Short rant

Most golfers should be carrying two wedges (52, 58) 7-PW, 5h, 5w, driver, putter. 10 clubs. you would shoot better scores. 

The irons and wedges should be all 8 iron length, 5h should be 6ish iron length. and 5wood and driver can be just a little shorter than normal.

maybe I'm wrong

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

On 5/21/2024 at 7:30 PM, Santiago Golf said:

Cobra sold out everytime they released the single length irons ... i play a similar length set and it make iron play a lot easier. My wedge are 36 inches and my longest iron is 37.75". 1.75" range. Most iron sets are 38 inches to 35 inches. 3 inches of range. 

Short rant

Most golfers should be carrying two wedges (52, 58) 7-PW, 5h, 5w, driver, putter. 10 clubs. you would shoot better scores. 

The irons and wedges should be all 8 iron length, 5h should be 6ish iron length. and 5wood and driver can be just a little shorter than normal.

maybe I'm wrong

You first.... sentence is correct. The rest is up to the individual golfer.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I just went through this thread and it's shocking how much mis-information and uninformed opinions were shared throughout. That always happens when we have discussions about single length irons.

Looking forward to when these are officially released so I can do proper testing.

I will get a set when they are released so that I can do a proper write-up and compare them with the Cobra Forged Tec, Cobra game improvement irons, Edel SLS01's and my new custom Edel single length irons. Can't wait. 

Edited by Drrussell
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Drrussell said:

I just went through this thread and it's shocking how much mis-information and uninformed opinions were shared throughout. That always happens when we have discussions about single length irons.

Looking forward to when these are officially released so I can do proper testing.

I will get a set when they are released so that I can do a proper write-up and compare them with the Cobra Forged Tec, Cobra game improvement irons, Edel SLS01's and my new custom Edel single length irons. Can't wait. 

Wouldn't the current offering be similar to what you listed above? The ones Byrson is specifically playing have face bulge which the others do not. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

39 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Wouldn't the current offering be similar to what you listed above? The ones Byrson is specifically playing have face bulge which the others do not. 

I am expecting they will be releasing a model with the bulge and roll...I have sent them an email to find out if and when those would be released. 

Yes. The irons on their website are on backorder and would probably not be worth testing as it would be very similar to the Cobra or Edel SLS01 irons. Truthfully, I do not expect the bulge and roll will make much difference for guys with normal person swing speeds, but I am super interested to test it out. It would be really hard for any iron on the planet to get me to switch from my custom-built clubs because I have these things dialed in to just the way I like them. That being said, I have a serious problem with golf equipment in that I like to tinker. When all of the tinkering is done, I get bored and move on to the next thing. 

8 minutes ago, Drrussell said:

I am expecting they will be releasing a model with the bulge and roll...I have sent them an email to find out if and when those would be released. 

Yes. The irons on their website are on backorder and would probably not be worth testing as it would be very similar to the Cobra or Edel SLS01 irons. Truthfully, I do not expect the bulge and roll will make much difference for guys with normal person swing speeds, but I am super interested to test it out. It would be really hard for any iron on the planet to get me to switch from my custom-built clubs because I have these things dialed in to just the way I like them. That being said, I have a serious problem with golf equipment in that I like to tinker. When all of the tinkering is done, I get bored and move on to the next thing. 

Also don't they only have bulge on them? I think I saw somewhere that roll would not work well on an iron. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

7 minutes ago, Drrussell said:

Yeah, it’s just the horizontal bulge. When those clubs are released I will test them.

They're definitely interested and something I'd be semi curious about with my swing speed. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I've played single-length irons for 8 years and I'll never switch back.

I started in 2016 with the Wishon Sterling and switched to the Wishon EQ1-NX when they were introduced. My current single-length set is 4-hybrid (yes, hybrid) through sand wedge, all at 36.5" (8-iron length). 

When I first started, did it feel funny to have such a short 4-iron (as I had in the Sterling set) in my hands? Yes! It was weird. And did it feel strange to have such a long wedge? (2 inches longer.) Absolutely! But guess what? That goes away almost immediately. (One tough adjustment was with the wedges. They were coming up short until I realized that I was backing off of them because of their length. Once I got over that, they fit right in.)

I still carry a traditional LW that I use a lot around the greens and from the sand. Why? Because the SL LW was awkward. You could open the clubface or choke down, but not both. (Doing both brought the toe into play, sometimes causing the face to flip open at impact.) I loved the SL LW from the fairway, but not around the greens.

While I carried the 4-iron in the Sterling set, it proved to be too difficult to control--it flew too low. When I switched to the EQ1-NX, they had a SL 4-hybrid (and 5-hybrid) available, so I swapped it in. It plays like a traditional 4-hybrid and really goes.)

I used to be a real club "hound" (not the actual word I use), chasing the ideal irons set year after year, sometimes two or three sets per year. That ended in 2016. It's nice to be off that roller coaster. (It caused me to get off the similar one for the driver; I've played two drivers over that period, only recently switching due to changes in my swing (old age). 

Would I consider going back to variable-length clubs? No. Not ever. Would I consider moving away from Wishon single-length clubs to another brand? Well, I haven't seriously considered it yet, and I don't imagine I will unless someone not-named-Tom comes up with a radical improvement, which doesn't seem likely.

For those of you wanting to bash the concept without actually playing them for a substantial time, your (hypothetical) criticisms are easily dismissed. But they're not for everyone, and people who've tried and rejected them have legitimate beefs. There's no magic bullet, but instead a sweet spot where the trade-offs you're experiencing are the right ones for you. 

• Like 3