Ping G730 irons, anyone getting?

Golfdoctor

With Ping lately. even with the G4xx and G7xx their cg keeps getting higher and higher in the head. Would like to see them go with an ultra low cg in this one. Maybe going to a cavity back will help there 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I know this wasn't actually the case, but it seemed to me back in the day that Ping would release a new iron model only every couple of years, and only if/when their engineers had made significant changes/improvements to the previous model. Back then, I thought of TM as the company with the 4-month product cycle, pouring out so many 'new' models so often that I couldn't tell one from another, and Callaway as more of a marketing machine than an engineering company -- while Ping was the most pure/honest of the OEMs. As I say, I know that this wasn't actually the case and isn't true, and that I'm looking back with rose-tinted glasses. But it sure 'feels' that way -- and that nowadays Ping has blended into its DNA all the least appealing parts of the TM and Callaway business models, and on top of that is charging more for their irons than everyone else! I can't keep track of all the 520s and 750s and 240s and the Is and Ss and Ts and Maxs.

Oh, where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio, an aging golfer turns his eyes to you.... 

(PS - this 730 most brings to mind for me some new Cleveland Zip-Core Launcher XL iron... except that Cleveland would charge 50% less for it than Ping will. Maybe it's time to shift my allegiance to Cleveland for more than just wedges!)

Edited by PeterJP

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JimKeeley said:

I played a full round with the G730's yesterday. I found them to be the best iron I've hit in a long time. Previously played Titleist AP2's. I am a two handicap player who has been a forged iron fan. They literally took 15 years off my game. They make golf fun again. 

Have you hit the g430 irons ?

from every test I’ve seen on YouTube the 430 seems to be better. More ball speed, higher launch, more stopping power, more spin.  The one test I saw with all of the G7xx irons the g700 had more ball speed than the g710 and g730.  I’m a ping homer but just not seeing it with these. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

9 hours ago, JimKeeley said:

I played a full round with the G730's yesterday. I found them to be the best iron I've hit in a long time. Previously played Titleist AP2's. I am a two handicap player who has been a forged iron fan. They literally took 15 years off my game. They make golf fun again. 

1st post in 11 years as a member here! 
And 15 years off your game! Impressive stuff JK!

Long time lurker, first time poster. 

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 1:44 PM, JimKeeley said:

I knew a guy who a couple years ago  a +1 played the G710 for a year, competed in high level City and State AM tourneys.  Finished the year at +2 and said he loved hitting a 4 and 5 iron high and straight.   He was able to work the lower irons enough for what he needed, but a bit like you.  Just felt it made the game so dman easy.   

He did go back to his forged Titleist the following year, but if a +1 or 2 can play them, then why shouldn't everyone else be thinking about them.   I do thnkthe G710 looked better than the G730 though.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

13 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I knew a guy who a couple years ago  a +1 played the G710 for a year, competed in high level City and State AM tourneys.  Finished the year at +2 and said he loved hitting a 4 and 5 iron high and straight.   He was able to work the lower irons enough for what he needed, but a bit like you.  Just felt it made the game so dman easy.   

He did go back to his forged Titleist the following year, but if a +1 or 2 can play them, then why shouldn't everyone else be thinking about them.   I do thnkthe G710 looked better than the G730 though.

I don't think I know anyone that could not benefit. These were not my cup of tee, but I'm getting them. I have been playing for 50 years. Why would I not want to hit it farther, even on the miss hits?  By comparison I shot par with a set of 1967 VIP's a couple of weeks ago. 3 club difference. I tinker, understand strong lofts, have bought sixty pounds of lead tape over the years. These are a different game from the newest version of the AP2's. Love them, so I'm going to go in a different direction. Looking forward to figuring them out. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JimKeeley said:

I don't think I know anyone that could not benefit. These were not my cup of tee, but I'm getting them. I have been playing for 50 years. Why would I not want to hit it farther, even on the miss hits?  By comparison I shot par with a set of 1967 VIP's a couple of weeks ago. 3 club difference. I tinker, understand strong lofts, have bought sixty pounds of lead tape over the years. These are a different game from the newest version of the AP2's. Love them, so I'm going to go in a different direction. Looking forward to figuring them out. 

What shaft are you looking at putting into the G730's?

I saw the G730s at Golf Galaxy. The offset, blade length, and top line seem smaller than my G700s, which I've gamed for six years. I'm a five hcp, and I gain confidence from a larger iron face. These don't look much bigger than the G430s; they're beautiful (to me) from the address. I could care less about the backs. I'm getting fit for them in a couple of weeks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dpodboy said:

I saw the G730s at Golf Galaxy. The offset, blade length, and top line seem smaller than my G700s, which I've gamed for six years. I'm a five hcp, and I gain confidence from a larger iron face. These don't look much bigger than the G430s; they're beautiful (to me) from the address. I could care less about the backs. I'm getting fit for them in a couple of weeks.

Let us know how it turns out, and what shaft worked the best for you.

On 3/28/2024 at 1:53 PM, teedub21 said:

People playing this type of iron (and in reality "most people") can't hit a 3 or 4 iron anyway.  

The 5 iron is a 3 iron in loft. I think the mental advantage is a plus. Have played three rounds. They have improved my score. They are easy to hit, great spin. You can feel power, so I don't have to overswing them. The feel is actually good. I have nothing negative to say. I am now charting new yardages. Great clubs. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, JimKeeley said:

The 5 iron is a 3 iron in loft. I think the mental advantage is a plus. Have played three rounds. They have improved my score. They are easy to hit, great spin. You can feel power, so I don't have to overswing them. The feel is actually good. I have nothing negative to say. I am now charting new yardages. Great clubs. 

But your 5 iron is the length of a 5 iron, not a 3 so easier to swing.  

On 2/26/2024 at 10:20 PM, Nessism said:

I think they look good.  The lofts are stupid strong, though.  Ping has jumped the shark on lofts.

How about an option to just shift the numbers a notch or two instead of (or in addition to) the retro spec stuff. The "W" is a 40 degree clubhead. Go ahead and let me slap an 8 or 9 on that and adjust the rest of the set's numbering accordingly. KthanksbyePing.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:52 AM, dpodboy said:

I hit the G730s about two weeks ago and prefer the G700s. It looked like the G700s had a slightly higher ball flight.

$$$$

On 3/26/2024 at 3:40 AM, JimKeeley said:

To your point TIScape. Yes 11 year lurker. I've played Titleist irons for the past 25 years, Mac Gregor VIP's before that. I've played every version of the AP 2. I'm 58 and can still move the ball quite well. I've noticed a loss of feet not yards this year. Missing a carry by less than a step at times. So Sunday I take the 730 irons out to try them. Bam i am 10 to 12 yards longer on a windy Florida day. So yes 15 years off of my game. Figured the feel would be horrible, but surprised there also. Thought the workability would be gone, but if the ball goes straight who cares. I'm sold. Might not be for everyone, but they made golf really fun. 

Edited by Steelhead

• 2 weeks later...

I currently play the ping g710s and love them.  I hit the ping g710s farther than anything be ever hit and the ball flight is so darn high I just love it

Im considering getting the ping g730s just because they appear even longer based on specs.

Can anyone provide feedback on these clubs?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

40* PW

45* UW

Holy smokes the PW is stronger than most companies 9 irons.  Not sure why oems are going this route with irons.  It seems like they're all doing it.  Ignorance is bliss for folks hitting their 9 irons 150 yards and pounding their chests.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

At the end of the day, you hit each iron a specific distance.  As long as you have the clubs to fill the gaps, who cares what the numbers are on the bottom of the club.  I am interested in giving these a shot.  I am in the market for some new irons and have a soft spot for Ping irons.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG