Should i play 3w or 5w

Cole Fleming

13 hours ago, animalgolfs said:

I play a turned down 5wd - why?  I can't carry 3wd over 210yds. I can muster a 5wd farther carry wise- I still play 6800yds. If i still hit my 3wd 260+yds carry.... I'd be playing 7200yds+

To each their own

Which tees you play from should be more based on handicap than how far you can hit the ball. 

I see this at my club ALL the time and I'm usually stuck behind the 4 some who have no business playing from the tips. Usually it's a group of younger guys who probably, when they hit the screws, can hit a 300 yard drive straight, but most of the time they're spraying the ball all over the place and properly shooting in the upper 80s. Most of the time it's these same guys who are marking 2 footers for a triple bogey.

Unless your consistently playing par golf or better, you shouldn't be playing a 7200 yard track that's difficult. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, aquapig said:

Which tees you play from should be more based on handicap than how far you can hit the ball. 

I see this at my club ALL the time and I'm usually stuck behind the 4 some who have no business playing from the tips. Usually it's a group of younger guys who probably, when they hit the screws, can hit a 300 yard drive straight, but most of the time they're spraying the ball all over the place and properly shooting in the upper 80s. Most of the time it's these same guys who are marking 2 footers for a triple bogey.

Unless your consistently playing par golf or better, you shouldn't be playing a 7200 yard track that's difficult. 

I've seen this argument pop up quite often nowadays- especially since the covid boom. If one can play bogey golf- then length should absolutely play a factor in tee choice. You enter a state sanctioned event - guess where you're playing? Club Championship? City championship? 

Now the weekend hack group has no business playing the tips - I'll agree on that - but if you legit have 115ss+ and a descent game - you should play the tips more often than a forward tee

abe-simpson-abe-simpson-cloud.gif.711827389320bda137db76b3695645d3.gif

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

18 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

I've seen this argument pop up quite often nowadays- especially since the covid boom. If one can play bogey golf- then length should absolutely play a factor in tee choice. You enter a state sanctioned event - guess where you're playing? Club Championship? City championship? 

Now the weekend hack group has no business playing the tips - I'll agree on that - but if you legit have 115ss+ and a descent game - you should play the tips more often than a forward tee

abe-simpson-abe-simpson-cloud.gif.711827389320bda137db76b3695645d3.gif

These guys playing the tips at my club that I'm referring to aren't playing in any sanctioned events.

Swing speed should ZERO to do with which tees you play. I play with buddies who play once a month or so who can swing it 115 plus and hit it 300. But they hit 1 fairway every 4 holes, their iron games are super inconsistent and have very little short game or course management. 

I also play with some older guys at my club, who swing upper 90s to low 100 with average drives of 250-260. They rarely miss fairways, irons spot on and ridiculous short games. They shot par or better from the tips. 

• Like 2

It is a little of both for me.  If you can't beat bogey golf from the tees you normally pay every time, then you should move up regardless of your swing speed.  

If you beat better than 9 over par every round and you find yourself having to layup off the tee a lot(due to hitting it far) then you CAN move back.  

My club is full of 30 to 40 year olds that are 10-12 handicaps that hit the ball 250+ and always play the back tees.  They should move up.  Shoot I am a low single digit, played college golf and in the US AM once upon a time, I still swing at 48 around 112 and can get up to 115-116 and I don't play the tips.  I play a mixture of the tips and one set ahead we call "The Players" tees that have their own CR and slope.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

https://golf.com/gear/6-game-changing-tips-equipment-expert/

Marty Jertson said in this article (I'm sure there are exceptions, but seems to track in my case as I use my 3 Wood maybe once off the deck every few rounds and more so off the tee when I need to eliminate some sort of trouble, maybe I'm not hitting driver well that day, etc.) that:
"How you utilize your 3-wood is highly dependent on your clubhead speed. If you hit your driver 250-plus yards, you’re likely to hit your 3-wood more off the tee than off the ground. Keep this in mind as you get fit for a 3-wood. Longer players should prioritize tee-shot performance, while golfers who hit their driver less than 250 yards should focus their lowest lofted fairway wood as a club to hit off the ground. This is why Ping makes an LST for faster players and the SFT for the everyday golfer.”

• Like 1

PING G430 MAX 10K 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

PING G430 MAX 3W 15°@14° | Fujikura 2024 Ventus Blue 7X

PING G430 MAX 7W 21°@19.5° | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8X

PING G430 5H 26°@25° | Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9X

PING i230 5i-7i, PING Blueprint S 8i-PW | Fujikura Axiom 125X

PING Glide 4.0 Stealth 50°-12 | Fujikura Axiom 125X

PING Glide 4.0 Stealth 55°-11 (56°@55°), 60°-8 (58°T@60°), Glide Forged Pro 60°-09 (59°EYE2@60°) | DG S400 Tour Issue "Season Opener" Masters Edition

PING PLD Custom DS72H 35.5" | BGT Stability Tour Masters M-Edition and L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX 36" White/Green Masters Edition | LA GOLF P-Series 135 White/Green

Titleist Pro V1x

I dropped the 3 wood this year and added a BRNR mini and a 5 wood. 3 wood was a club I straight up never used. Hitting it off the deck could be sketchy, and off the tee, I actually have more confidence bunting a driver on a tight hole compared to 3 wood.

• Like 2

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

ZX Utility 4 iron Steelfiber 110X

P7TW 5-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

23 hours ago, Cole Fleming said:

I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything new on this. Could be me being new and using it wrong. I was wondering thoughts on people play 3 vs 5wood i have a high SS 118 with driver 280s + carry. I really never use my 3wood now as my course doesn't really have the need unless i move back tees. I usually carry it about 260+. I'm ultimately looking for something easier to hit and maybe start trying to use it off the tee some to keep me out of trouble. I also play a 7w love it so dont want them to be to close. Ive never even considered or looked at a 5w i have a fitting today so im sure i could test them but wanted somewhat of an idea going into it to tell the fitter so im not swinging so many clubs.

16.5* 3HL/4Wood is always an option. Some 5 woods go much further than others depending on the face material (and loft of course), so it’s hard to say without testing

The Apex UW 17* goes just as far as many 3 woods, but it might be a strange combo if you’re using a 7wood that is longer (in terms of length, not distance) since the UW is only 41.5”

• Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

23 hours ago, Cole Fleming said:

Yeah if i move back i run into 685-715 yd par 5s 

I think you meant to type par 6s. 🤣

• Haha 1

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

Double post

Edited by GeauxGolfLSU

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

2 hours ago, GeauxGolfLSU said:

I think you meant to type par 6s. 🤣

Par 8/9s for me 😂

• Haha 1

Driver:           Callaway AI Smoke ♦♦♦ 8° VA Composites SYNYSTR 65 X  
Fairway:        Callaway AI Smoke 3HL 16.5° Project X Denali Black 70g 6.0

Fairway:        Callaway AI Smoke 7W 21° Project X Denali Black 70g 6.0

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW 1° Weak Project X LZ 6.5 125g
Wedges:       Black Cleveland RTX 6 50/55/60 
Putter:           Odyssey White Hot Versa Double Wide 33" 

Ball:               TP5 Pix

TSR3 16.5* - I’ve said it before 4W is the new 3W

⬇️ Check the sig - my gaps are dialed (115 off the tee)

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

I'm of the mind the overwhelming majority of people can't hit a 3-wood off the deck well enough to put it in the bag. It's either very skilled golfers or seniors/low swing speed players who rely on FW woods on approaches more than longer players.  Way back in the day before oversized driver, a 3W was a safe 'tee' club. A 460cc driver closed that gap a lot.  So then it comes down to what you can consistently hit from the deck.  

If the OP's swing speed is accurate, he can poke a 5-wood out there pretty good. And I'd bet hits it MUCH better off the deck.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

On 3/20/2024 at 12:34 PM, Cole Fleming said:

I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything new on this. Could be me being new and using it wrong. I was wondering thoughts on people play 3 vs 5wood i have a high SS 118 with driver 280s + carry. I really never use my 3wood now as my course doesn't really have the need unless i move back tees. I usually carry it about 260+. I'm ultimately looking for something easier to hit and maybe start trying to use it off the tee some to keep me out of trouble. I also play a 7w love it so dont want them to be to close. Ive never even considered or looked at a 5w i have a fitting today so im sure i could test them but wanted somewhat of an idea going into it to tell the fitter so im not swinging so many clubs.

Try a 4wd. It will be easier to hit than a 3wd and not go quite as far and gap well with your 7wd. Several manufacturers make them. Cobra, Titleist, Taylormade are some good options. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

8 hours ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

I dropped the 3 wood this year and added a BRNR mini and a 5 wood. 3 wood was a club I straight up never used. Hitting it off the deck could be sketchy, and off the tee, I actually have more confidence bunting a driver on a tight hole compared to 3 wood.

I have the opposite issue.  I've tried the bunt driver and it's a disaster every single time.  Tough for me to square the face swinging slower plus if I don't fully get to my left side, it's game over.  Swinging 80-90% with 3 metal off the tee increases the chances that contact is good and face angle is square or close to it for me.  

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I'm one of those slow swingers who can use the distance of the 3HL off the deck.

I didn't see anyone mentioning using an iron off the tee for more accuracy when you need it  Hitting a fairway with an iron off the tee is easier than hitting an approach shots off the fairway.

Maybe you don't really need a fairway wood?  Maybe another wedge would be more useful?

Add a gap fitting to your fitting and the numbers will tell you what you should have in the bag

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° | Ventus Blue VeloCore+

Titleist TSi2 16.5° | AD DI 7 

Titleist TSi2 21° | AD DI 8 

Srixon ZX5 4-GW | Modus3 105

Taylormade MG4 | 54SB  58SBC

Swag Golf DGAP Handsome One | LAGolf P-Series 135

ProV1X

On 3/21/2024 at 8:36 AM, aquapig said:

The best and simplest guideline I have ever seen on which tees to play is based on the fairway bunkers.

If you are always short of the fairway bunkers move up to the next tees. If you are flying over the bunkers move back.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Like the hacks at my club that insist on playing the tips because they hit it 300...

Usually over houses, into neighborhoods,  deep into the woods..

Same guys who take 5 hours + to play, mark their 2 footers after firing 2 OB off the tee. All while being oblivious to the 2 some behind them that's waiting on them EVERY shot even though there's 2 empty holes in front of them. 

But they swing  fast and hit it far...probably if they counted all their strokes they're shooting 100. 

Edited by aquapig
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 8:36 AM, aquapig said:

......... Most of the time it's these same guys who are marking 2 footers for a triple bogey.

That is the fault of the people they are playing with.

If someone is putting a 2 foot putt for triple the golfers in his foursome need to concede that putt. Unless you are playing on TV for a million+ dollar purse a 2 foot putt for anything higher than a par is a gimme.

45 minutes ago, hook_or_slice said:

That is the fault of the people they are playing with.

If someone is putting a 2 foot putt for triple the golfers in his foursome need to concede that putt. Unless you are playing on TV for a million+ dollar purse a 2 foot putt for anything higher than a par is a gimme.

They're all doing it and they're all either oblivious or don't give crap.

Especially when you've been holding everyone up all round. 

Seems like ever since the Covid golf boom, there's more of these yahoos playing. 

Tip playing hacks, who would enjoy the game much more if they moved up a couple tees, played faster and didn't take themselves so serious. 

Pretty simple to solve with a 16 or 16.5 degree fairway wood. Not enough difference between a 5 wood and 7 wood. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I don't have your swing speed but I made the change from 3-wood (which I've always had in the bag since high school) to 5 wood a couple of years ago and can't believe I waited so long. If you get one with an adjustable hosel you can get your best gapping. My next club is a 3 hybrid. For me, the 5 wood is much more versatile than the 3 wood and hence I use it a lot more.  I would definitely recommend you give it a shot.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

On 3/20/2024 at 12:34 PM, Cole Fleming said:

I am surprised to see that you use such light shafts and in stiff flex in the two fwys with that swing speed. I would think dispersion and efficiency would increase with more weight and x-stiff in those same shafts. 

• Like 1

Funny to see this on WRX a day after I decided to switch to a 5W/4H setup.

I carried a 3HL for a while but it was getting close to zero use, so I sold that and consolidated my wedge setup to give room for 2 clubs at the top. With my 4i at 22*, 4H at 21*, and 5W at 18* I think i'll have a good setup. Obviously a little larger than ideal gap to driver, but better there than between 3HL and 4i

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 7:23 PM, mstuewe said:

I think I’m going this route.  Driver, 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 5-pw, 48, 52, 56, 60, putter.  118 swing speed with driver. 

Nothing really to add, but I have the same thought process as you.

I'm down that road, a little slower (110-112) on the ss. Driver, 5 wood (Mavrik SZ), 5 hybrid (TSR2 24*), 5-PW, 50, 54 and 58 + putter. Still got room for one more club, maybe a Titleist mini driver when they get their fingers out and release it 😄

• Like 1

I've hovered between a 13 and a 9 hcp as I've hit 65 years old and have been losing distance. About 10 years ago a fitter convinced me to go Driver, 4 wood and 7 wood, which was the perfect gapping. The 4 wood also improved my long fairway wood shots over the 3 wood. The 7 wood gave me better approach to green height and distance. 

• Like 2