2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

How many players are better than Tiger in the world?

BarrySanders

783? 
Anyone in the top 125 on Tour?

Woods was great- about 25 years ago. He had arguably the greatest single season of all time in 2000.

But the Elin fiasco and aftermath did a number on him and he had his last hurrah in 2019. 

He’s broken down.

I’m not a fan but I felt sorry for him at the Masters. He walks like an unhealthy guy in his 70s or 80s.

I speculate that he has to take a lot of medication including painkillers. I think he probably never feels good. 
I’m more concerned about his health and longevity due to long term medication effects than his return to playing form.

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

12 hours ago, Chanceman said:

His body is 20 years older than he is.

Hmmm. 68 year old bodies don't carry 300 plus off the tee.  Or make the cut with 30mph + winds at Augusta.  HIs physique is still that of a young man.  The problem is his left leg.  He dominated in late 2018 as well as 2019 in the events that he played.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

22 hours ago, BarrySanders said:

Let's say his injuries were consistent like this week at the masters. He wasn't 100 percent, but he could get around fine. He moved to 784 in world rankings. How many golfers in the world are actually better than him? 90?

What do you mean "better"? 

Able to hit shots ...

Able to play heads up 1 v 1 for 18 holes ...

Able to compete for 4 days ...

All very different answers.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I appreciate Tiger being out there, even, at times, out driving the young Amateur. 😄 Having said that, and not a big Tiger champion, the OP posed an odd question. 

Like asking how many guys on Golfwrx could beat the OP?  Nobody cares about that number.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Scoring Wedge 113g 
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

If cats were horses you could ride up into trees. 

If Woods is halfway pain free he can play with the pack. But he is not. Watch him bend down to pick the ball out of the hole. It looks dreadful. The fourth round was close to what he could do if he had to play on a regular basis. He is in no shape to play successful tournament golf. 

• Sad 1

For one round with optimal rest before? He is a top 100 player. 

Over a 4 day tournament right now? Probably a top 2000 player. 

I love Tiger and what he has done for golf. I'm just saying health and availability matters. 

Very similar situation to Ben Simmons in the NBA. Absolutely fantastic talent, limited availability due to injury. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

I mean on LIV he would probably do pretty well.  Playing resort courses and only having to play 3 days.  I think he'd fare pretty well in that exhibition.

But on the premier tour... it's just good to see him out there I guess.  

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

3 hours ago, PJE said:

783? 
Anyone in the top 125 on Tour?

Woods was great- about 25 years ago. He had arguably the greatest single season of all time in 2000.

But the Elin fiasco and aftermath did a number on him and he had his last hurrah in 2019. 

He’s broken down.

I’m not a fan but I felt sorry for him at the Masters. He walks like an unhealthy guy in his 70s or 80s.

I speculate that he has to take a lot of medication including painkillers. I think he probably never feels good. 
I’m more concerned about his health and longevity due to long term medication effects than his return to playing form.

Tiger was great as recently as 2019. In 2018-19 in that comeback he won the Tour Championship and Zozo Championship and put on an absolute clinic at the Presidents Cup. Since then he’s had a car crash where he honestly cheated death. It’s amazing he’s even out there playing, never mind making the cut.

• Like 2

With his lack of playing in tournaments,

His finish at The Master's, was less than stellar, 60th, and DFL.

Unless his body does a turnaround,

I do not think we will see much of Tiger ,Wish things were different for this generational player

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

In 2034 TW still be teeing it up in the Masters every year and workin on his 34th consecutive cut 🤣

He’ll always shoot around par on Thursday and Friday, then like 80 on Saturday!

This thread be 900 pages long people still be like,

DFL again!

Then I say,

But he made the cut so he still top-50 yo!

🤣🍻

On 4/16/2024 at 6:51 AM, BarrySanders said:

Let's say his injuries were consistent like this week at the masters. He wasn't 100 percent, but he could get around fine. He moved to 784 in world rankings. How many golfers in the world are actually better than him? 90?

So then 783.

The OWGR is the measure, right?

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

18 hours ago, farmer said:

In a cart at home, he might be unbeatable over 72 holes.  At Augusta, he looked a little worse every day.  One or two days walking may be the limit for his body.  Too many variables to make a guess, but at his best, he got beat occasionally.  It would be way easier today.

Stephen Ames has entered the chat...

tiger-woods-stephen-ames.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Dave230 said:

Tiger was great as recently as 2019. In 2018-19 in that comeback he won the Tour Championship and Zozo Championship and put on an absolute clinic at the Presidents Cup. Since then he’s had a car crash where he honestly cheated death. It’s amazing he’s even out there playing, never mind making the cut.

I think that comeback, notably the 2019 Masters, required the cooperation of others versus the sheer dominance he displayed prior to his fall from grace. So far me, it had a different nuance or flavor than earlier in his career. As I said, a last hurrah. 
He even went through a period where he chipped the ball like a beginner. I think that was at Quail Hollow. Fortunately, he overcame that problem. 

I don’t think he was the same golfer after the Elin episode. 
But I hope he can remain relatively healthy. I think it’s likely he experiences continual pain and that’s a sad thing. 

Edited by PJE
  • Haha 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

Biggest thing I noticed was how limited his shot shaping has become, especially off the tee.  Despite his hype man Fred Couples saying he could hit any shot he wanted perfectly before the event started.  It was pretty obvious with his limited movement and club setup, he's gonna be hitting bit slinging fades off the tee from now on.  Which can work a lot of places, but Augusta wasn't one of them.  I just never recall him basically hitting a 20yd slice off the tee on fairly straight holes before, which means he is playing a very different game than before.  

When he could aim over the left trees and slice it back to the fairway, it worked great.  But later he would set up straight, and try to hit a draw, and sliced it off the planet right.  Or he set up aiming left expecting the slice back, and it didn't slice and he was hitting left handed recovery shots from the pine straw.  

tigerslice.jpg

tigerslice2.jpg

Edited by subrew

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

I’m curious to see the trajectory of Tiger’s career at 50. He has stated on multiple occasions that he plans on playing the Champions tour. With that, he can take advantage of cart usage in almost all of their tournaments except for the majors and pro ams last I looked. Even their majors are not played on the hardest to walk courses. If he does that, does the extra competitive rounds played on the champions tour in turn help him with the majors on the PGA tour. I know the champions tour courses are not set up as hard, but it is still actual competitive rounds which even Tiger has stated being an issue to fabricate in practice.

Personally, I think it will help him. He showed us that he can walk the 4 days at August which is a tough walk for many people. Yes, he looked fatigued more each day but not labored from pain which was a positive. I think the further he gets away from the leg injury and muscles compensate more and more that the walk will get better. His current swing and build seems to be focused on less torque thus putting less strain on his back.

I’m not sure that we will ever see another major win out of him, but I think his golf will get much better and more consistent barring another injury. Only time will tell though.

1 hour ago, golfpractitioner5 said:

I’m curious to see the trajectory of Tiger’s career at 50. He has stated on multiple occasions that he plans on playing the Champions tour. With that, he can take advantage of cart usage in almost all of their tournaments except for the majors and pro ams last I looked. Even their majors are not played on the hardest to walk courses. If he does that, does the extra competitive rounds played on the champions tour in turn help him with the majors on the PGA tour. I know the champions tour courses are not set up as hard, but it is still actual competitive rounds which even Tiger has stated being an issue to fabricate in practice.

Personally, I think it will help him. He showed us that he can walk the 4 days at August which is a tough walk for many people. Yes, he looked fatigued more each day but not labored from pain which was a positive. I think the further he gets away from the leg injury and muscles compensate more and more that the walk will get better. His current swing and build seems to be focused on less torque thus putting less strain on his back.

I’m not sure that we will ever see another major win out of him, but I think his golf will get much better and more consistent barring another injury. Only time will tell though.

I really think he'll eat up the senior tour.  Going into the weekend at Augusta, in very difficult conditions, on a very difficult course to walk, against some of the best in the world, he was only 7 strokes off the lead.  Put him on easier courses to walk/play and only 3 rounds, I think he'd be tough to beat.  If he uses a cart then even more so.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

6 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I really think he'll eat up the senior tour.  Going into the weekend at Augusta, in very difficult conditions, on a very difficult course to walk, against some of the best in the world, he was only 7 strokes off the lead.  Put him on easier courses to walk/play and only 3 rounds, I think he'd be tough to beat.  If he uses a cart then even more so.

I feel like it gives him another goal as he can go after the Champions tour career win total.  He seems like a person who needs a goal and that would definitely be an attainable one given the standard tournament conditions on the Champions tour.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, golfpractitioner5 said:

I feel like it gives him another goal as he can go after the Champions tour career win total.  He seems like a person who needs a goal and that would definitely be an attainable one given the standard tournament conditions on the Champions tour.

Spot on - he's clearly got an addictive personality and he's addicted to competition.  I can't think of any other reason he feels the need to continually tee it up and compete at this point in his life. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

32 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Spot on - he's clearly got an addictive personality and he's addicted to competition.  I can't think of any other reason he feels the need to continually tee it up and compete at this point in his life. 

I would say he is very well aware of what happens when he does not have his mind set on specific goals due to the trouble he ran into in the past personally. I feel like this is the reason for the continued push to golf competitively, start a new clothing line, and start the TGL league to go along with his other golf ventures. He most likely likes to keep himself very busy.

• Like 1